Start by marking “These Witches Don't Burn” as Want to Read:
These Witches Don't Burn

These Witches Don't Burn

(These Witches Don't Burn #1)

Hannah's a witch, but not the kind you're thinking of. She's the real deal, an Elemental with the power to control fire, earth, water, and air. But even though she lives in Salem, Massachusetts, her magic is a secret she has to keep to herself. If she's ever caught using it in front of a Reg (read: non-witch), she could lose it. For good. So, Hannah spends most of her time ...more
Expected publication: May 28th 2019 by Razorbill

Win a Copy of This Book

• These Witches Don't Burn by Isabel Sterling
    These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
    Release date: May 28, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win an advance copy of THESE WITCHES DON'T BURN by Isabel Sterling!

(No PO boxes please)

Hannah's a witch, but not the kind you're

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 3253 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 29 - Apr 28, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about These Witches Don't Burn, please sign up.
    Isabel Sterling As of right now, release is scheduled for May 28, 2019.
    We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan HeWicked Saints by Emily A. DuncanThe Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn HermanThe Tiger at Midnight by Swati Teerdhala
    YA Debuts 2019
    125 books — 783 voters
    King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
    YA Novels of 2019
    769 books — 1,788 voters

More lists with this book...

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
    Uhhhh what? Gay witches?? *queer heavy breathing intensifies*
    Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
    excuse me I need this book immediately since it appears to have sapphic witches oh my god??
    Elise (TheBookishActress)
    Nov 17, 2017 marked it as releases-2019
    is this another gay witch book
    Sien
    Jan 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
    I am finding mentions of this book everywhere and the only thing I see are “gay witches” but that’s also the only thing I needed to know
    megs_bookrack
    Me upon reading the synopsis for this book:

Sarah Glenn Marsh
    Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: books-i-blurbed
    I see a lot of folks here saying they're excited for a gay witch book, and let me tell you...THIS STORY DELIVERS!!!

I loved it. I'm already ready for the sequel, but I guess I'll have to wait for 2019 to start bugging the author about the next book ;) Maybe.

From unexpected twists to a dynamic and mostly queer cast of characters, there's so much for everyone to love here. Really, well done.
    sofia (sam willows)
    Oct 29, 2017 marked it as to-read
    sounds gay. just the way I like it
    ⚔ Silvia ⚓
    Jan 04, 2018 marked it as anticipated-2019
    Shelves: witches, wlw
    Why do I have to wait until 2019 for gay witches
    ellie
    edit: i just saw the cover for this and it is so adorable and i can't wait for this to steal my heart

HELLO YES IM HERE FOR GAY WITCHES IN LOVE THANK YOU
    lu ☾
    Jan 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
    did i hear sapphic witches
    anna (readingpeaches)
    proving the point that magic is inherently gay, thanks!!!

Blog | Twitter Instagram | Bloglovin | Reads Rainbow
    maddi
    Jan 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
    is this for the gays??
    andrea caro
    gay witches. this is my brand.

was thinking that i'd love this, but - overall i was really missing the atmosphere that made other books set in salem (prosper redding & how to hang a witch) such a fun reading experience for me. 3.5? full rtc.
    Lea (drumsofautumn)
    Oct 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: to-be-released
    me: oh I don't really care about contemporary witches
    me: *reads "her ex-girlfriend"*
    me:

Booktube ChannelTwitterInstagram
    enqi ☁️✨ [joon's]
    Jun 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2019-wishlist
    sapphic witches? that's all i needed to know. take my money

(also, the author is LGBT as well, her bio says she lives with her wife i'm so soft)
    Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
    Sep 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2019
    gay witches in modern salem!!!! bring it.
    ~vatana~
    Jan 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
    when I say lesbian you say witches
    lesbian! witches! LESBIAN! WITCHES!
    E.
    apparently, 2019 is the year i start caring about love triangles again. f/f/f witch love triangles.
    Dana Mele
    Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Loved! I read this book while I was visiting Salem and it was the perfect setting. This book really surprised me. I expected it to be good- but I didn’t expect it to be so heartfelt, to handle so much emotional truth and at the same time stand it’s ground as a seriously twisty suspense story with some truly devastating moments. The stakes are high in both the romance and mystery parts of the story. I can’t wait for the second book!
    Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
    Someone said gay witches I'm here for this
    Dahlia
    <3333333333333333333333333333333 (Review to come)
    Acqua
    Nov 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: q, qf
    This book about gay witches has a cover! And it looks like it could have an f/f/f love triangle? Maybe? I've loved all the ones I read
    Julia Ember
    Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This was so delightful! I read the whole thing in under two days. I was skeptical at first about another witch book set in Salem, but this book has a very unique take. The entire cast is so wonderfully gay and charming.
    Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
    Jan 12, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
    As Janet from The Good Place once said:
    "Look Michael, a witch.... Burn her!
    ReadingwithAmy
    Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Actual Rating: 4.75/5 ⭐

I was given an early copy of this book for review by Penguin Teen Canada. A big thank you to them for sending it my way!

Wow if this book isn’t marked on your most anticipated shelf, you need to do that now! I mean to be honest I had a feeling I was going to enjoy this book before going into it, you say the words Queer and Witches and I’m all over that! But I honestly wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I did.

These witches don’t burn is the story about Hannah who is an
    Kalie
    The one thing that would have knocked my rating down a bit was the relationship drama that felt a bit tedious (especially during the first half), BUT I enjoyed this a lot in a surprising way that kept me from bringing this down to three stars. It's a sharp debut. It's certainly darker than its cutesy illustrated cover would suggest, filled with plenty of gripping turns and characters you immediately want to follow into another tale. If you like a little magic infused into your contemporary reads ...more
    Megan
    Very cute, very girly, now I'm going to swing to the other extreme and read the machoest book I can find. Was satisfied to get to the end, but feel no need to read the sequel. Very dramatic scene changes - this girl passes out a lot. Interesting worldbuilding - I like the idea of there being different types of witches that can do different types of magic.

This book seemed to swing between different age ranges - it skewed younger in terms of character development (very 2D characters with almost an
    Kelsey
    A really fun cast and worldbuild tied up in a pretty solid mystery. The mesh of modernity and old-fashioned witches was everything I dreamed it could be - I enjoyed the elemental magic system a ton as well. The book was also surprisingly serious and action-packed, more than I anticipated from something with such a cute cover!

The only shame for me was Morgan... it seemed like her only purpose was to be a red herring (view spoiler)
    Sarah Knope
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

I loved every minute of this! The friendship between Hannah and Gemma is so strong and important. And the romance is swoony and adorable. The magic system was cool, I would definitely love to be an Elemental Witch. Overall, though, I think my favorite part was the atmosphere. Witchy vibes in Salem? Yes, please.
    Laura AP
    Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3.5 ish. I thought this book was super fun, though the plotline was predictable and most of the characters felt one-dimensional (Gemma is only ever the best friend, Morgan is a cute dancer who Hannah has a crush on) and I wish I'd seen more of the life on the coven. The most interesting character dynamic is between Hannah and her ex-gf Veronica, and there were some pretty good discussions. Overall, it was a fun and short read.
    « previous 1 3 next »
    • The Lost Coast
    • Hot Dog Girl
    • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
    • Tell Me How You Really Feel
    • When We Were Magic
    • All of Us with Wings
    • The Pursuit of Miss Heartbreak Hotel
    • Going Off-Script
    • The Wise and the Wicked
    • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
    • Full Disclosure
    • Tarnished Are the Stars
    • The Grief Keeper
    • A Place For Wolves
    • All the Bad Apples
    • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
    • Out of Salem
    • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
    Isabel Sterling has been dreaming up new worlds since childhood, but she didn’t commit any of them to paper until after college. When she’s not writing about magic and murder, Isabel can be found lost in a good book, binge-watching her favorite shows, or swimming in the lake. She lives in central NY with her wife and their brood of furry children: cats Oliver and December and a mischievous puppy n ...more

These Witches Don't Burn (2 books)
    • Untitled (These Witches Don't Burn #2)