Start by marking “Twins” as Want to Read:
Twins

Twins

Coretta Scott King Honor author Varian Johnson teams up with rising cartoonist Shannon Wright for a delightful middle-grade graphic novel!

Maureen and Francine Carter are twins and best friends. They participate in the same clubs, enjoy the same foods, and are partners on all their school projects. But just before the girls start sixth grade, Francine becomes Fran -- a girl
Expected publication: October 6th 2020 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about Twins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twins

Start your review of Twins
Ms. Yingling
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Francine and Maureen feel differently about starting middle school; Francine is reinventing herself, going by "Fran"and rocking a hat an funky t shirt on the first day. Maureen is scared and misses the security of elementary school, where she was the top student in the fifth grade. Maureen is also upset that she has Cadet Corps instead of gym, like Francine does, and is assigned a lunch where she doesn't know anyone. When Maureen finds out why she and her sister g
Cathlin
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Got this arc at NTTBF and can't wait to get back time school, so I can share it with my students. I realistic look into how kids grow and change, seeking an identity of their own along with the trials and tribulations of sibling rivalry and what its like to be a twin.
Andrew
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Twin sisters Maureen and Francine are going into sixth grade, and that's not the only thing that's new-- Francine has decided to go by Fran, and wants to distance herself from Maureen at school to be recognized as an individual person, apart from being a twin. This is tough for shy Maureen, who's nervous enough already about middle school! When they end up campaigning against each other for class president, the rift between them becomes bigger than they ever thought possible. Family feuds, chang ...more
I got the ARC for this book at the North Texas Teen Book Festival, one of the last events I attended before social distancing took effect.
Honestly, I got the book for three reasons. 1 - The publisher was giving away free copies. 2 - I've met Varian Johnson and liked him. 3 - I've had identical twins in the (same) classroom before; I may have them again and I want books for them to connect to.
To my great delight, I loved the book. Not all of the book was inked and colored in but I was still draw
TheNextGenLibrarian
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Twins Maureen and Francine do everything together, including dress alike. But when they’re about to enter 6th grade, Francine decides she wants to be called Fran, starts dressing different and breaks away from the things she and Maureen used to do to forge her own path. This confuses Maureen and she tries to cling to what they used to be instead of embracing what Fran wants. This was a great MG graphic novel about individuality, change and the bond of family. Thank you Edelweiss for this ARC. Al ...more
Pam
Graphic Novel
I received an electronic ARC from Scholastic, Inc in Edelweiss+.
Middle school brings many challenges and may be even harder when you're a twin, especially when one wants to break away from the other's shadow. Johnson captures a typical family trying to make the best choices to be supportive and loving. The friends are also multi-dimensional and represent a broad spectrum of life. Some serious issues are tackled - racism, low self-confidence, anxiety.
The illustrations bring the chara
Heather
Loooooved it!

A perfect middle grade graphic novel about navigating middle school, friendships, and sibling relationships. And even though the two main characters are twins, I think everyone will be able to relate to the characters.

I was so excited to receive this ARC after seeing Varian and Shannon speak in a zoom the other day.

This book is perfection.

I hope we get to see more of Maureen and Francine. I mean, Fran.
Hannah H
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC so I could share it with fellow staff that work with tweens at my library.

This is a really fun book! The illustrations are enjoyable and I fell like I got to know Maureen and Francine really well. Twins feels different enough from other MG graphic novels school stories about growing up, fitting in, etc. that it isn't repetitive and brings something new to the genre. It's also great to see authentic diversity in its characters.
Ron
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elementary
My review is based on an advanced reader copy of the book. This book is a graphic novel that deals with identical twin sisters who are entering middle school. They are starting to grow apart in some ways and this book deals with some of the problems they encounter doing this. I thought it gave some interesting insights and found the book very easy to read.
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
EARC from Edelweiss Plus
Students are going to love this graphic novel, and I really like that Varian Johnson is both a twin and the father of twins. Encourage readers to follow up with this author's Great Greene Heist.
Kaci Pelias
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
book #1 of quarantine!! this was very cute and gave a pretty accurate depiction of middle schoolers’ experiences right now! also a realistic conflict between sisters, specifically twins!!!
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Tam I
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Read an ARC.

Cute, good message about communication and working together.
Pam  Page
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wonderful new graphic novel!
Beth
Quan
Dec 18, 2019

• The One and Only Bob
  • Clean Getaway
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)
  • Go with the Flow
  • Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed
  • Dragon Hoops
  • Doodleville (Doodleville, #1)
  • When Stars Are Scattered
  • Flooded: Requiem for Johnstown
  • The Invasion (Animorphs Graphix #1)
  • Before the Ever After
  • Lift
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)
  • The Legend of the Fire Princess (She-Ra Graphic Novel #1)
  • Tornado Brain