Start by marking “The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)

The Merciful Crow

(The Merciful Crow #1)

A future chieftain.

Fie abides by one rule: look after your own. Her Crow caste of undertakers and mercy-killers takes more abuse than coin, but when they’re called to collect royal dead, she’s hoping they’ll find the payout of a lifetime.

A fugitive prince.

When Crown Prince Jasimir turns out to have faked his death, Fie’s ready to cut her losses—and perhaps his throat. But
Published July 30th 2019 by Henry Holt (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Merciful Crow, please sign up.
Margaret Owen I'd prefer not to get into spoiler territory, so all I'll say on that front is that 1) Jasimir is gay, so he has no romantic interest in Fie and vice…moreI'd prefer not to get into spoiler territory, so all I'll say on that front is that 1) Jasimir is gay, so he has no romantic interest in Fie and vice versa, 2) I can confirm there is no love triangle, and 3) the romantic subplot has been described as a slow burn, so take from that what you will!(less)
Eve I agree with the previous commenter! Though I think many are comparing them just because they both have the word "crow" in the title, they do have…moreI agree with the previous commenter! Though I think many are comparing them just because they both have the word "crow" in the title, they do have very similar vibes. Both are dark, gritty fantasies that hold no punches. If you enjoyed Six of Crows, I think there's a good chance you'll like this one as well. (less)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
Crows have long suffered under the reputation of being *bad* but I’m so glad they’re finally getting the representation they deserve. Somewhere, in Ketterdam, Kaz Brekker is nodding approvingly although it might be because he just plucked out someone’s eyeballs
Nick
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
ever since i read six of crows, everything with crows intrigues me
jessica
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
you know that moment when youre reading and you lose focus, but your eyes still keep ‘reading,’ so you end up having to backtrack and reread everything you just missed when you zoned out? yeah, that happened to me soooo many times whilst reading this that i lost count. at the halfway point, i started skimming because i just did not have the attention span to fully commit to this.

i mean, i really wanted to love this, but other than a slightly unique magic system, theres not much going for this b
Margaret Owen
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-did-that
Wait, I seriously get to rate and review my own book? Rad. So my completely unbiased review is that it made me laugh, cry, and single-handedly put Ben & Jerry's grandchildren through med school. And that was just from writing the dang thing.

Anyway, I hope y'all like it! I made it myself!
Tucker
Jan 08, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
hey, guess what? last night I dreamed that I was walking through my neighborhood and out of nowhere a murder of crows PICKED UP A CAT AND FLEW AWAY WITH ITTTTT!!!!!! EVEN MY SUBCONSCIOUS RECOGNIZES THE EVILNESS OF CROWs
**************
They're still evil. I mean why do you think a group of them is called "A Murder" A MURDER!!!!!
**************
CROWS AREN'T MERCIFUL!!! THEY ARE EVIL

Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Reddit |
Angelica
I came for the crows. I stayed because I had already given up a couple of hours of my life and I might as well finish.

That said, I wasn’t too invested in the story or the characters and especially not in the romance.

It wasn’t at all memorable. It’s now August and I promise you that by the time the year ends I won’t remember a single thing. I probably won’t even remember the main character’s names.

This book starts interestingly enough. Fie’s group of Crows are sent to burn the plague-infected cor
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ 66%

So, I guess the new YA trend isn't just to write books that are derivative, but also to title them in derivative ways, as well? If so, good plan, because THE MERCIFUL CROW is a book that feels like dozens of books I've read before. Caste-based fantasy with an assassination plot gone wrong, and a plot to overthrow an evil ruler with a band of crude-talking underdogs. Yep.

I'm extra salty because my luck with books has been amazing
Sara
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
this is an amazing story full of action and an unique magic system with dark atmosphere , an amazing female lead who is complex , rude and stands up for what she believe for , she is trown in this adventure with an spoiled prince who I hated in the beginning and loved in the end , tavin who is snarky , brave and fun , this is an amazing world and the magic is so intresting , just pick this up if you love quests, high stakes, adventure with a lot of danger and loves crow's , gave this book of cou ...more
Anissa
Dec 27, 2018 added it
This book felt so different - the way it read, the characters, the world. It was so unique and whilst there was so much to the world building I loved how more and more was revealed as I went along. Fie is a firecracker, I love her.
Hollis
I’m super glad I’ve just bemoaned all the disappointing YA fantasy so far this year because the universe sat up, said, ‘oh yeah?’, and tugged the rug right out from under me.

Bookies, I present to you : THE MERCIFUL CROW. I knew nothing about this before beginning (#TeamNoBlurbs) and was delighted at every turn the story took.

This world is made up of Castes centered around various birds : Crows at the bottom, Pheonixes at the top. We see the world through the Crows’ eyes; they are mercy killers
Lucy Langford
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up.

While this book was a bit slow in places, the details of the caste system and the tooth magic interested me enough to keep reading.

Fie was a great character. She is a member of the Crow Caste- the lowest caste there is- tasked with travelling the roads to mercifully kill those who are infected with the plague. Interestingly, this plague never effects the Crows and rarely effects the highest class- the Phoenix’s.

One day, her and her group- with her Pa as chief- are summoned to the
Lily ☁️
DNF. I give up. I’m not one to light-heartedly leave a book unfinished, but about sixty pages into this, all I am is a) annoyed by the writing, and b) wondering why in the world I should care about a single thing that is happening.

(Ironic, how only a few hours ago I was tweeting about not having it in me to dnf books.)

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
Emily A. Duncan
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[SCREAMS INTO HANDS]
Sabrina
Nov 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
“Pa was taking too long to cut the boys’ throats.”

That’s one way to start a book!

2019 is coming for my wallet.
Umairah | Sereadipity
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Merciful Crow was an intriguing read about a world plagued by prejudice and hierarchy and the people fighting for justice.

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 5/5

Review originally published on Sereadipity

The world building was excellent because it was very original and I was gradually fed more information as I read as opposed to a boring info dump at the start of the book. I also loved the magic system and the way it functioned in the novel.

The people were split into twelve castes and each one
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
I was told by the author that I would probably enjoy this book after I showed her a jar of human teeth*.

Interpret that as you will. I, however, am excited 😈

*they're my baby teeth okay!!! i'm not a creeper!!!
Nasom
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Full Review

I was drawn to this book by it's cover but I'm glad it was an enjoyable book too!

What i liked

- The plot/magic system: I found some aspects of the storyline to be unique. For instance, the MC belongs to a group of people called 'Crows'. When someone dies of a plague, they are the only ones that can get rid of the body, but the people in the town that the person dies in has to pay the Crows to prevent the plague from spreading and killing everyone. Also, the MC doesn't have powers o
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
4.5 S T A R S

It wasn't that she wanted to burn the world down, no. She just wanted the world to know that she could.

Well, well, well, well...

That's the only way I can think of starting this review because my brain cannot get over how good this was. I went into this pretty high expectations and somehow I am still shookth about how good it was?

Where to start, where to start.

First and foremost the world. OMG the world is one of my favorites. A world that is gothic, and eerie, and revolves aroun
Amanda
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Merciful Crow Bookstagram Photo
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

For some reason I didn't really expect this book to be that good, but I wound up absolutely loving this dark fantasy tale. I picked this up on a whim because I thought the cover was pretty and I am so glad that I did. The Merciful Crow was filled with fascinating characters that I loved so much, really great world building and an interesting plot. This book caught my attention from the very first sentence and pulled me int
Candace Robinson
I was confused with this one a lot. I love crows but not sure what I was expecting? The cool thing was that there were a lot of unique things.
Roobie
4 stars

"Are you done?" the arbiter demanded.

"Aye cousin, this'll do." Pa whistled the marching order. "We'll be back when you call."

When, not if.

I actually really enjoyed this. Maybe I was in the right mood for it because most of my friends either dnf or didn't really like it and I went in with low expectations. I also get how the writing might be annoying for some but, thankfully, I wasn't bothered by it at all.

One star is gone because of some issues with the characters at times but overall
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review!

Ladies and gentleman- I present to you- one of (if not my most) anticipated reads of 2019! All it took was a quick read through of the synopsis for me to know that I needed to get my hands on this book as soon as possible! A future cheiftain, a fugitive prince, and a too-cunning bodyguard? Yes please! SOLD! Perfect for fans of Leigh Bardugo and Kendare Blake? Abso-freaking-lutely! This book DID NOT disappoint!

I pic
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

There have been a couple of books with crow in the title this year and I was excited for both of them different though they may be. The first didn't turn out the way I thought it would but I am so pleased to be able to say that I was blown away by The Merciful Crow!

And The Merciful Crow has such a gorgeous cover that I will admit that at first I wanted to read it just because of its beauty. Feasting my eyes on such great design is happi
The Nerd Daily
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

This immersive story is definitely one you’ll want to add to your TBR pile! Cunningly invasive, it’s a story that doesn’t get out of your head even after you’ve turned the last page. There’s death, family bonds, and lots of soul shattering rage to be found throughout this story, along with a smattering of romance that rounds out this amazing story. I honestly cannot say enough about it!

Fie lives in a world that is broken down into
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
Jan 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
I JUST GOT THIS ONE IN THE MAIL AND IM FREAKING OUT!! THIS IS THE FIRST PHYSICAL ARC IVE EVER RECEIVED AND I CANT WAIT TO READ IT!
julianna ➹
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm idk fellas but I think the fact that this was four stars and then dropped down to three stars really speaks to the fact that I'm a pessimist

also go read my blog tour review 😎

>> trigger warnings for death by plague, mention of death by fire, assassination, loss of eyes, being shot by arrows, and burning hands (if there's anything you want to ask, don't hesitate!! this isn't as thorough as I could've made it)

>> specific representation includes a black main character (Fie
Madison Mary
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** ARC provided by "Henry Holt and Company Books for Young Readers", all quotes are subject to change in the final copy **

"They'll come up with a fancy name for you... Tell stories for centuries. Fie Oath-cutter. Fie the Cunning. Fie, the Crow Who Feared No Crown."

Absolutely phenomenal.
I couldn't have asked for a better book myself. As soon as I started this story, I couldn't put it down. I was drawn in before I even read the first page because there is a description of all the castes and th
Austine (NovelKnight)
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases
Check out the original review and more on NovelKnight!
This book was provided by the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

If you take nothing else from The Merciful Crow, just know that teeth are powerful and there's a cat named Barf.

Honestly I'm a bit at a loss for words with this book because I loved it SO MUCH! It's one of those cases where I just want to gush but don't know what to say. But I guess I can start with the overall idea. . .

. . .
Katie
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*ARC provided by "Henry Holt and Company Books for Young Readers", all quotes are subject to change in the final copy *

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!

I got this ARC at BookCon and I'm so happy I was able to snag a copy! This is definitely one of my new favorite fantasies of 2019.

What I absolutely love to see in fantasy is different sexualities/identities being represented but they're inherent to the world. If you're creating a new world, who says that discrimination needs to be a part of it? I absolute
Beth
I’ve been going backwards and forwards with what rating to give this and I’ve decided it’s a 5 Stars for me!

Just to put this out there it took me a while to get into it because the magic system was very unique and there were lots of different Castes with different abilities but I honestly loved it! I genuinely struggled to read the first 50ish pages and you have to pay attention to it otherwise it may end up going over your head.

I genuinely loved the characters, especially Fie, Tavin and Jasimir

• Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
Born and raised at the end of the Oregon Trail, Margaret Owen spent her childhood haunting the halls of Powell’s Books. After earning her degree in Japanese, her love of espresso called her north to Seattle, where she worked in everything from thrift stores to presidential campaigns. The common thread between every job can be summed up as: lessons were learned.

She now spends her days wrestling di

The Merciful Crow (2 books)
  • The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)