Start by marking “Aquicorn Cove” as Want to Read:
Aquicorn Cove

Aquicorn Cove

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  4,851 ratings  ·  1,099 reviews
When Lana and her father return to their seaside hometown to help clear the debris of a storm, the last thing she expects is to discover a colony of Aquicorns—magical seahorse-like residents of the coral reef. As she explores the damaged town and the fabled undersea palace, Lana learns that while she cannot always count on adults to be the guardians she needs, she herself ...more
Published October 16th 2018 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Aquicorn Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aquicorn Cove

·  4,851 ratings  ·  1,099 reviews

Start your review of Aquicorn Cove
Ariel
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BEAUTIFUL! Beautiful illustrations, beautiful characters, beautiful story, beautiful message. BEAUTIFUL!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 2019, favourites
"Some things are meant to come back to you."

REP: characters of colour, f/f relationship, mental health (hints at depression), grief.

trigger warnings: storms, loss of a loved one, drowning, hurt animals, depression.

This is such a stunning and important story all about how our actions are affecting our oceans and reefs. Katie O'Neill also has such a stunning art style with gorgeous colours and loveable characters!

Special thanks to Kerri (KerriTheBookBelle) for gifting me the ARC and Whitney
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably my favorite of Katie O'Neill's graphic novels. So sweet and so important!
Melanie
ARC provided by Oni Press in exchange for an honest review.

“But there’s no home without a future…”

I just want to say that Katie O'Neill has the most breathtaking, most gorgeous, and most adorable illustrations out there right now. Each page is literally a brand-new work of art. Never have I ever loved the illustrations in anything as much as I do in this and in The Tea Dragon Society!

Aquicorn Cove stars a young girl named Lana, and she and her father come to visit her Auntie Mae on h
monica kim
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
a lovely, simple story with stunning illustrations
Whitney Atkinson
Thanks to Netgalley for providing an e-arc in exchange for my honest review!

This book was beyond precious!! It's like a Disney movie in a graphic novel because of its lighthearted, magical vibe yet undertones of sorrow and meaning. There's loss, there's reunion, there's messages about environmentalism, there's mythical creatures, and there's even a subtle f/f romance. The art was so gorgeous and this book was very easy to follow and a quick read that definitely got me teary-eyed. I can't wait to
C.G. Drews
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was just ADORABLY AMAZING. I am absolutely and entirely heart-eyes right now from how gorgeous the illustrations were, to the sweet and wholesome messages, to how many feels it gave me. Like...it's barely 100 pages and it's a soft gentle fantasy for kids and I...have...so many feelings. 😭💛Seriously pick this one up if you get a chance omg.

☆ cutest illustrations ever
☆ seriously Lana is ADORABLE
☆ talks about caring for the sea and the reefs
☆ soft™ magical sea creatures
☆ entirely sure Aure (th
Nat
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, graphic-novels

Not only does this book feature mind-bending gorgeous works of art, it holds so much meaning in its pages. Usually, books that evoke such truly beautiful pieces tend to not have an exciting storyline to tag along, but this is where Aquicorn Cove comes in to shake up the status quo.

Aquicorn Cove 1-- bookspoils

When Lana and her father return to their seaside hometown to help clear the debris of a big storm, Lana remembers how much she’s missed the ocean—and the strong, reassuring presence of her aunt. As Lana explores t
[Shai] Bibliophage
I've read and enjoyed the two previously published graphic novels illustrated by Katie O'Neill before. Hence, when I saw that she will be releasing a new book, I immediately seize the chance to check this out.
Aquicorn Cove by Katie O
The illustrations in her latest comic book are quite similar to The Tea Dragon Society which she released last year, but I prefer the story of Aquicorn Cove because of how it brings up the environment issue. It set as a wake-up call for readers about it and no matter how small, we could
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Katie O'Neill never stops stunning me. Her stories are so beautiful and so is her art, and the characters, and the world... all of it is perfect. There's a great story about environmentalism and doing our part in the world to keep things clean and not take more than we need, which was really sweet and heartfelt. I just loved the whole thing so much and I truly never get tired of Katie O'Neill's stories. <3 ...more
Nina
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks again to Oni Press for sending me a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

This was such a cute read and the art was amazing! I especially loved how it dealt with an important topic such as climate change and how the message was that we definitely have to pay more attention to our environment and have to take care of our oceans and that even small things can already make a big difference.

instagram || my blog || twitter
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
description

Thank you Netgalley and Oni Press for sending a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This graphic novel was so adorable! I loved Katie O’Neill’s art and the story was lovely. The environmental message got across very well. Loved all the illustrations, and I can’t wait for this book to be released!
David Schaafsma
Can you write a book for children that is both adorable AND also that focuses on the ongoing devastation of climate change to make it both entertaining and educative? New Zealand artist Katie O'Neill, the author of ther also adorable The Tea Dragon Society, says yes, and I say yes, too. Lana lives close to the ocean, where she and her family are experiencing world-wide--increasingly devastating storms.

Lana is grieving the loss of her mother, and she and her father have been forced to relocate b
Alison
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really lovely story about finding yourself after loss, caring for others, and how global warming is affecting the coral reef.
Hints at a f/f romance
Kate (GirlReading)
With its stunning art style and colour scheme, a gentle plot and a powerful message about taking care of the earth and its oceans, Katie O’Neill has once again proved she can do no wrong. Although I truly believe this story is one for all ages, it makes my heart especially happy to know younger readers have stories like this to turn to, learn from and find inspiration within.
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really need all of katie o’neill’s books to get animated shows, netfix get on it
Drewthereader20
This was such a cute and easy graphic novel. I really enjoyed this one but I don't think this one was for me but I loved the artwork!
3/5 stars!(:
Ps. Read this in one sitting!(:
Rebecca McNutt
Aquacorn Cove is a beautiful graphic novel. I'm not sure I liked the underlying political agenda (climate change) in the book, but I still really loved how well it captures grief, loss and friendship, and the incredible fantasy world that O'Neill is able to craft in a short amount of pages. The illustrations were incredible and the characters were endearing. It reminded me a bit of Disney's Lilo & Stitch, but with a more down-to-earth fantasy plot. Lana, the main character, is suffering through ...more
Danika at The Lesbrary
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can't get enough of Katie O'Neill's artwork and stories. The illustrations are beautiful, captivating, and comforting. In her author bio, she says that she writes "gentle fantasy stories," and I think that's the perfect description.

This is also a love letter to the ocean, and it has an environmentalist message, including information at the back of the book about coral reefs and how we can take care of them.

Lana's aunt also is a major character in the story, and it includes a little romance bet
Julia Sapphire

I quite enjoyed this graphic novel. I absolutely love O'Neill's graphic novel "The Tea Dragon Society" so I was very intrigued to give this a read.

This focuses on conservation and protecting the ocean. Lana was a really nice main character to follow, I loved how open she was to learning. The story briefly touches on grief, it acknowledges the emotions that go along with it, but it is not the main focus of the story.

I think this is a really great middle-grade read. Adolescents c
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more manga and graphic novel reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

When her seaside town is damaged in a storm Lana and her father help to clear the debris and she discovers a colony of Aquicorns, magical seahorses that are residents of the coral reef. As she learns of the effect her town has on these sea creatures she decides to take responsibility for protecting the ocean and her friends.

I have enjoyed Katie O'Neill in the past and instantly recognized her trademark art style in Aquic
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars
This was a cute graphic novel with some important environmental themes. I enjoyed the artwork, but found the story too short and undeveloped to leave an impact. I appreciate the fact that I am much older than the intended audience, but I still expected more from this middle grade story.
KalynAbridged
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful graphic novel! Such an important message and so incredibly sweet. I just loved it. 💛
Connor
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is targeted toward a young audience, so I think that's an important factor to know when going in. I feel like it's a great graphic novel for kids. It has a strong message of conservation which I loved especially the need to protect coral reefs. I really liked our main character Lana who loves her aunt Mae and is torn between wanting to stay near the beach or with her father in the city. I loved Mae's story line and her connection to the aquicorns. I also really liked the pastel coloring. I ...more
Helena
I don't know why, but I was expecting an adventure story about a girl and aquicorns, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found out it was not the case at all. It was a quiet story about loss, taking care of nature and family. It was like the warm hug I didn't know I needed, one of these stories that just make you feel happy and relaxed for a while. It was the equivalent of drinking hot chocolate in a winter rainy day covered by your soft blanket.

The art was adorable and magical, with pastel col
Emma
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this graphic novel in exchange for an honest review.

This story was so cute. I was pleasantly surprised by the focus put on the environmental aspect, it was quite well done and it got the message across. The style of the author is really lovely and I enjoyed all the illustrations, especially the ones regarding the sea colony.
I'm really happy to have discovered this new author and I can't wait to read more of her books.
♛ Garima ♛
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is cute little story of a girl who lost her mother recently and trying to cope. There are some heart-touching moments but the book is light enough to get going. Illustrations are really beautiful and story flows naturally.
There is hint of lesbian romance between Lana's aunt and sea-goddess which I think was nice touch as well...
Divine Anas
Streaked in pastel shades and heartwarming messages, Aquicorn Cove is a cute and light graphic novel yet imparts a relevant message on protecting the marine life. We follow a young Lana that helps her aunt's little island after it was ravaged by a storm. She reminisces on her days near the ocean when she was younger and consequently tries to get past the grief over her mother's death. And it was until when she nursed a young and injured aquicorn that she finally realized the random chain of even ...more
Chasity
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great way to show our younger generations the importance of taking care of our oceans and earth. I got a kind of Moana vibe but in a much different way. I'm not a fantasy fan for the most part, but the illustrations really brought the characters to life- maybe even more than the story itself. I'll definitely look for more by O'Neill.
Madi
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading rush book 1 DONE. Cute graphic novel with beautiful art work and message.
BooktubeSFF Awards: This topic has been closed to new comments. Aquicorn Cove Readalong 12 73 Mar 21, 2019 02:23PM

• Pilu of the Woods
  • Mooncakes
  • Hicotea (Nightlights #2)
  • Nightlights (Nightlights #1)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Snapdragon
  • Witchy
  • Stargazing
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • The Okay Witch
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Sheets (Sheets, #1)
  • Crystal Cadets
  • Witches in Training (Hex Vet, #1)
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Taproot
Katie O'Neill is an illustrator and graphic novelist from New Zealand. She is the author of Princess Princess Ever After, The Tea Dragon Society, and Aquicorn Cove, all from Oni Press. She mostly makes gentle fantasy stories for younger readers, and is very interested in tea, creatures, things that grow, and the magic of everyday life.

News & Interviews

“I needed help, but I didn't know how to ask. I didn't know how to explain I needed help with the small things. The things I never noticed before, until suddenly they took effort. Sometimes I feel like I just want to go to sleep for a while, and wake up when I'm stronger or things are different somehow” 3 likes
“Some things are meant to come back to you.” 2 likes