Start by marking “Dressed for Death in Burgundy (French Village Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dressed for Death in Burgundy (French Village Mysteries, #2)

Dressed for Death in Burgundy

(French Village Mysteries #2)

In the sequel to Love & Death in Burgundy, Katherine Goff is at again when a body is found in place of a mannequin at the local museum.

"Not since my first visit to Louise Penny's Three Pines, have I encountered a more beguiling fictional world than Susan Shea's Reigny-Sur-Cannes. With an engaging cast, the rare realistic depiction of a good, modern marriage, a sideways
Published May 1st 2018 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Dressed for Death in Burgundy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dressed for Death in Burgundy

Start your review of Dressed for Death in Burgundy (French Village Mysteries, #2)
Carol (Bookaria)
This isa cozy mystery that takes place in Burgundy, France.

Katherine is anAmerican living in Reigny-sur-Canne. She offers to help out with tourist excursions in the area and, while giving a tour at a museum, she and the group she was guiding bump onto a death body. From then on, Katherine and her friend Pippa must find out the murderer to avoid becoming the police's prime suspects or the murderer's next target.

This was the second book in theseries. I had not read the first book andfound myself
Tari
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't feel like I missed too much in this second book since the characters that were the main ones were well explained but I probably should have read the first book for a little more background information. At times I was just a little bit confused about a secondary character or two. I enjoyed reading about the French provincial life, could sort of picture this little town getting ready for Christmas and thought that along with Katherine and Michael, their friends Pippa and Jeannette were ...more
Shoshana
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love France and I love to read books about France. “Dressed for Death in Burgundy” is a mystery set in a small village and minor town in the Burgundian region of that country. I thought it would be a fun book and it is.

I don’t like spoilers, so I am going to be very careful what I say. The protagonist is a middle-aged American woman named Katherine who has been resident in France for three years. Her French is pretty good, but not perfect, and for the first part of the book her husband is out
Bree
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a neat series, and I am ashamed to say I haven’t read the first book yet. That will be remedied, but I am so happy I read this latest from an author that sounds like my kinda of gal. I mean she loves France, as do I but Susan C. Shea has also given readers the ability to go there through her books and solve mysteries. It is certainly my kind of book with this combination.
Susan
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-europe
American artist Katherine Goff is taking a party of tourists through the costume museum when they discover a dead body in one of the tableaux. Imagine--it's the butcher's wife! Not only is the museum usually kept locked, under the eagle eye of its curator, but who would want to kill the pleasant woman who made the best pate in town? Katherine's friend, hapless English would-be author Pippa, makes herself a suspect by trying to investigate in the interests of her mystery-story writing. Katherine ...more
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Katherine Goff, American expat who lives in a small town in France with her musician husband and pets, is trying to live a quiet life, interrupted only by the fact that her husband Michael is in the states recording an album with a famous country star. It's getting close to Christmas, and she can't wait to have him back home for the holiday.

But all does not stay quiet for long. While doing a favor for a friend - driving American tourists on a museum tour - she encounters the worst possible
Samantha
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
Summary from Goodreads:

"After finding herself mixed up in a murder investigation the previous Summer, Katherine Goff’s life simply has not been the same. Her husband has been in the US recording a new album, the Burgundy region locals are finally starting to see her as a real neighbor, and Katherine has even started helping out with “tourist” excursions. It seems she’s finally found her place in the small community of Reigny-sur-Canne.

But when Katherine stumbles across a body in the local museum
Entrada Book Review
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Dressed for Death in Burgundy is a cozy mystery that follows Katherine Goff and her lonely two week stretch as her husband is away in the U.S. working on recording a music album. While helping a friend by hosting a small group of tourists, Katherine walks into a murder of the local butcher's wife, who has been strangled and then redressed in the town's small museum.

The story takes place in Burgundy, France right around Christmas time. It was a very interesting and realistic portrayal of what the
Jen
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I received Dressed for Death in Burgundy in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for my honest review.

Let me start by saying Dressed for Death in Burgundy is the second on a series. I haven't read the first in the series, but this one could stand alone without too much confusion. There were parts of characters' pasts that I didn't understand fully because I didn't read the first installation, but it didn't take away from the story any.

I am not exactly sure what to say about this mystery, I don't
Loraine
This is book 2 in the French Village Mysteries, but it reads okay as a stand alone. The story drags somewhat in the beginning and I never did get caught up by any of the characters. They all seemed rather shallow. Pippa was very immature, and the fact that she didn't take the time to learn the French language or at least a few common words or phrases bothered me.

The plot line was plausible, but I would have liked to see a little more action and less of Katherine's constant translating for those
Karen
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second in the series, and I'm not sure I'll keep going, partly because I got so irritated with the dialogue. American authors generally just don't seem able to get their English/British/Australian/NZ characters to speak naturally, and one of the main characters in this is supposed to be a young Englishwoman, who speaks like someone from a 1930s novel. I doubt many 29 year old Brits have ever heard anyone say Blimey, & Crikey was always more Aussie/Kiwi than Brit, also 50 years or ...more
Mary
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second installment in the French Village Mystery series. Katherine Goff, an American, has been living in this small town for a few years now and after last year’s mystery, she feels she is starting to finally fit in. Her husband is back in the US for a few weeks and she has been helping with local tours. On one of these local tours and when she discovers a body at the local museum, she is once again pulled into intrigue. She is trying to keep herself and her friend Pippa from being ...more
Tiffany
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I really want to like these novels more than I do. This is the second story in the French Village Mysteries. Another body has been discovered and our amateur town sleuths are on the case. The stories are just ok...there is nothing particularly outstanding about the characters or the plot. I love small, village mysteries, but this series is lacking the complexity of a Louise Penny story or a G.M. Malliet story. I use Agatha Christie as my measuring stick, and unfortunately, these stories just ...more
Grace Koshida
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
American Katherine Goff is slowly adjusting to life in Reigny-sur-Canne, France. But the innocent task of bringing a set of American tourists to the local costume museum ends up with them finding the murdered body of the butcher's wife in a display. When the local police focus on her English writer friend Pippa as a suspect, the two team up to find the real killer. The plotting was rather slow at times and it was not as enjoyable a read as I expected.

I received an eARC via Netgalley and St.
Kathy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dressed for Death in Burgundy is the second book in the French Village Mysteries series by Susan C. Shea. I did not read the first book in the series yet found that did not hamper my enjoyment of Dressed for Death in Burgundy.

Katherine, an American, is living in a small French village, Reigny-sur-Cannes. While her husband is away in the US, Katherine helps with tourist excursions. She finds a body in a local museum and Katherine and her friend Pippa set out to find the killer.

Fascinating
Cherry London
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two amateur investigators in Paris trying to solve a murder mystery they stumble upon while on tour. They Pippa and Katherine had problems with the language one couldn’t understand much less speak it the other getting better, they often found themselves misunderstood and are found in the wrong place. Katherine was missing her musician husband who was on a business trip in America and Pippa bundles her seeking inspiration by investigating the crime herself, something she knows nothing about. A ...more
Lalla
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second in this series 0f mysteries set in Burgundy. Most off the characters from the first book are back in person or we hear of them. The scene of a murder is a museum focusing on costumes and historical clothing. The atmosphere of this small French community is charming and inviting.I liked the sub-plot focusing on Michael's rejuvenated rock career.It was also to interesting to learn more about Pippa and Jeanette.I am looking forward to more books in this series.
Karina
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Dressed for Death in Burgundy is the second book in the French Village Mysteries. I have not read the first book in the series and I was hoping this book would have a little more information about previous events. It was a little hard to read as a standalone. I did catch on in the end but the book was a little slow moving. The story was well written and maybe I would have enjoyed it more had I read the first book.
Carol
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I listened to this book and enjoyed the narrator - but had to listen closely when French was spoken or I should say English was spoken with a heavy French accent. The story was good but again toooooo long. 2 amateur detectives try to help solve the murder of the butcher's wife in a museum because they were the ones to find the body and found out it's not so easy as they mystery books make it seem.
Jeanne Nichols
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaway
I normally love cozy mysteries, but this one just didn't work for me. The location was confusing because they kept bouncing around among three different villages (was it only three) and I couldn't keep track of what happened in each place. I never got attached to any of the characters and I really didn't care who committed the murder. All in all, it was a real disappointment.
Nancy Reynolds
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I won a copy of this book from Goodreads. It sounded like it would be a good story, but I found I really never engaged with the characters. I found a lot of them very annoying actually, especially Pippa. But I pushed myself to read the book because I really wanted to like it. But in the end, I just wanted to find out who did it and why - just because I don't like unanswered mysteries.
Stephanie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
It is a fun, cozy little mystery. I enjoyed it very much and found it hard to put down. You don't have to read the first book to read the second. I liked the different personalities of the characters. It did have a couple swear words though. I won this in a giveaway!
Cameron
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first book better than this second one. It moved rather slow and at times felt very bogged in details that were extraneous. I do like the characters and the setting though and so will pick up another if it comes out.
Christine
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Set in the French countryside Katherine has a bevy of eccentric neighbors. She is just now finding her place among them when she is involved in a murder. With the help or maybe hindrance of a British mystery writer-to-be, she tries to solve the case.
Ann
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, fiction
Loved the setting in France but again females who investigate thinking they know more than detectives and get in trouble.
Gail C.
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. If it were possible, I would give this book a 2.5. Unable to do that, I have given it a 2 because I can't really say I liked it.

The book offered a view of France that was somewhat different from what is typically written. It was not the warm, sunshine filled romantic place typically found in books taking place in France, but of a colder, grittier place that was somewhat depressed in nature. The town
Cassandra
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the French Village Mysteries. I can tell that by not reading the first book, I definitely missed items about the characters backgrounds. I have read books that have done a worse job catching up, but I have read books further along in the series where I felt better updated. I loved that this book was set in France, but, the winter setting was not as much fun as the other cozy mysteries I have read set in the other three seasons. I am not a winter gal, and being cold ...more
Michelle Castaneda
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Dressed for Death in Burgundy by Susan C. Shea is book 2 in the French Village Mystery series. While it is book 2 in the series, I think it can definitely be read as a standalone novel. The characters include an ex-pat and other locals in a French village. This is definitely a cozy mystery and I think it would definitely appeal to readers that enjoy cozies set in a small village. Overall, the story is a good read, although it did move slowly at times. I received a digital copy of this book from ...more
Jaime H
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Set in a small village in France, American ex-Pat Katherine introduces us to her world. Social settings, interesting characters and of course, murder.

The second book in the series finds the butcher's wife dead and Katherine is on a mission to find out who did it. Katherine is finding her footing living in France and finding a social circle.

The murder mystery was good but I think a little more focus could have been placed on building up the tension and the action surrounding the murder and
Tracy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I honestly thought this book was related to wine so I expected a light hearted cozy and this turned out to be a somber serious murder mystery. I also did not expect the dual story line/dual perspective shown through both Pippa and Katherine. On the plus side I was not able to figure out who took the life of the butcher's wife and Pippa did a great job going around and finding clues, while Katherine wrestled with relocation and a husband who's music career was taking off again. An interesting ...more
Goodreads Librari...: consolidate book covers 2 14 May 12, 2018 07:52AM

• The Spook in the Stacks (Lighthouse Library Mystery #4)
  • Lost Books and Old Bones (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Murder at the Mansion (Victorian Village Mysteries, #1)
  • Better Off Read (Bookmobile Mystery #1)
  • 'Twas the Knife Before Christmas (A Christmas Tree Farm Mystery, #2)
  • A Soufflé of Suspicion (A French Bistro Mystery #2)
  • Mardi Gras Murder (Cajun Country Mystery, #4)
  • Toucan Keep a Secret (Meg Langslow, #23)
  • Cake and Punishment (A Southern Cake Baker Mystery, #1)
  • A Scandal in Scarlet (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Till Death Do Us Tart (A Bakeshop Mystery #8)
  • Shelved Under Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #2)
  • Be Our Ghost (Merry Ghost Inn Mysteries, #3)
  • Ask Me No Questions (A Lady Dunbridge Mystery #1)
  • Murder in Her Stocking (A Granny Reid Mystery, #1)
  • Flowers and Foul Play (A Magic Garden Mystery #1)
  • In Peppermint Peril (A Tea and Read Mystery, #1)
  • Read and Gone (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #2)

French Village Mysteries (2 books)
  • Love & Death in Burgundy