Start by marking “The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)

The Wolf at the Door

(Big Bad Wolf #1)

A former FBI agent is partnered with the enemy in this suspenseful male/male shifter romance from debut author Charlie Adhara

Hunting for big bad wolves was never part of Agent Cooper Dayton’s plan, but a werewolf attack lands him in the carefully guarded Bureau of Special Investigations. A new case comes with a new partner: ruggedly sexy werewolf Oliver Park.

Park is an age
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 288 pages
Published February 19th 2018 by Carina Press

Shile

“Monsters are real”

description

What a surprising good mystery book. Simone my darling! you find the best detective books, thanks for putting this on my radar.

This book is right up my alley, I enjoy detective books and TV shows, this grabbed my attention from page 1.

It is hard to believe that this is a debut book, i am wondering why Charlie Adhara has not written like gazillion books, because the writing is so good and engaging.

MC 1: Cooper the BSI Agent who is tasked with investigating the disa
Simone
***4.5 Stars*** and I AM WOWED or WOLFED or WHATEVER!!!

Ohhh, this was definitely some wolfy goodness...
@youngshizzle ♔

... although this is pretty much all you will get to see of a werewolf in this book. Well, with one exception.

I LOVED...

... the world-building , although it's still in the early stages of development and the super sekrit agency Cooper is working for is definitely not
Gigi
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-shifters
Wow, I really loved this book! I’m going into book 2 right away.

Highly recommend for werewolve shifter fans. No insta-love-youre-my-mate business. Not that I don’t like that every once in awhile.

Love!
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I'm making my intrigued face.

Ollie and Coop definitely have chemistry. Nothing beats a size difference IMHO; excited to see where that leads and how it develops. If it's anything in the neighborhood of that sex scene on the couch...

I'd like to know more about Ollie but what I know so far I like. Especially the growling.

Could've done with less push/pull between them, though it looks as though it's coming from an authentic place and Adhara's looks to be playing the long game character development
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars!

Well, well, well.

I must say that the reviews raving about this book aren’t wrong.

Law enforcement tropes are a top favorite and when you mix it with werewolf shifter lore on a whole new set up, this definitely scratched every itch I had and some I didn’t even know about.

Eager FBI agent, recently transferred to a top secret branch known as the Bureau of Special Investigations, Cooper doesn’t quite know how to handle his new world view. Werewolves exist. This is still a well kept secret to
Teal
*** 3.5 stars ***

I have mixed feelings about this book. At times I was bored; other times engrossed. For too long a chunk of the story I disliked the MC, Cooper Dayton (or Dayton Cooper? Two last names for a name had me chronically confused). He seemed mean-spirited, which isn't an easy flaw for me to forgive. The other MC, Park, seen only through Cooper's POV, was mostly an enigma to me.

But there's one thing I don't have mixed feelings about, and it's this: Charlie Adhara is a real talent, an a
Line
Holy moly this was a GREAT, solid MM-mystery and it is currently on sale at all major platforms, they fixed it so it also shows up at the 'zon (june 2018).
Now spend ALL the monies!!!!
description
First of all the amount of humour and snark was amazing, and it elevated this story from a good mystery to a fantastic book.
I'm very surprised I liked this one as much as I did, considering I didn't like Cooper all that much.
More than once he's a total douchebag and completely incapable of apologizing, going as fa
Meags
4.5 Stars

With The Wolf at the Door, Adhara delivers a damn impressive debut novel, one that will surely remain among my top reads of 2019.

What we have here is an engaging whodunit-type crime/mystery plot, full of lots of intriguing twists and turns that left me riveted to the page as I tried my best to predict what was coming next – (mostly) to no avail.

Cooper is a special agent who works for a top-secret branch of the FBI called the Bureau of Special Investigations (BSI), which deals exclusive
Moony Eliver
3.5 stars. My gut is a funny thing. It took me a long time in my life to trust my “animal instincts,” and then an experience like this book has to come along and make me remember why.

With every passing year, my dnf trigger finger gets itchier. I can be patient with content development, but writing quality... let’s just say that if I’m not appreciating that, it has almost never turned around. And I’ve learned to trust my gut and not throw good time after bad.

Fortunately, I have more resources at
Eli Easton
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been in a bit of a book slump lately, starting books and not finishing them. This book roared in like a band of bad ass bikers, grabbed me by the throat, and dragged me along til the last page. I simply loved the writing--it's filled with intelligence, wit, and genuine characters. The murder mystery plot was good, and I enjoyed the secret werewolf agency angle. The romance was slow burn, which I really like, and felt fulfilling for being only the first book for this couple.

My only disappoin
Cadiva
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow. That about sums up my thoughts on this debut novel from Charlie Adhara. It's simply brilliant. A complex plot embracing the paranormal in combination with a police procedural, murder mystery and a romantic suspense element, could have been a hot mess.

But this narrative sparkles, it shoots along at a pace, carefully pulling all the threads together into an epic denouement which, while I saw the protagonists coming for a while, is still fraught with the necessary tension to make you try and r
Alisa

I'm constantly on the lookout for new authors (or new to me) and new series. I'm so excited I tried this one by a debut author.

This book is part mystery and part romance. I probably shouldn't compare this to another author but this reminded me very much of a Lanyon book (which I love). The story starts with us meeting Cooper who works for an offshoot of the FBI. Werewolves are real and while the general public doesn't know this our government does. Cooper and his partner investigate w
haletostilinski
Okay okay okay, I've found a new series to love. I already can't wait for the next one - but it isn't coming out until September D:

This a new author and it did not disappoint. Yeah, Cooper was pissing my off for like half of this book, but he was just such an asshole to Park. All the time. And I get it, I do, because this opens with us learning that a werewolf gutted Cooper and he lost like 6 feet of his small intestines (GROSS!) so I get his hesitancy and his slightly biased view towards werewo
Ky
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018

I decided to read this book after one of my friends wrote a very enthusiastic review about it. I trust her judgement since we usually like the same things and our tastes mosty line up, so when the book went on sale I snatched it right up and dove in. I was in for a surprise! I couldn't put the book down until I learned who was the bad guy. The mystery kept me glued to my screen and the plot as a whole was very nicely crafted. Likeable characters, unique paranormal universe, captivating
Ariana
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ariana by: Simone
Reread in September 2018.

Admittedly I had forgotten quite a few details about this universe, but it all came back with a whump as soon as I started, and once I remembered who the big 'baddie' was I had great fun looking out for hints as the plot unfolded. And there were lots!

And I LOVED revisiting Cooper and Oliver. Absolutely adored the way their relationship develops. The mistrust on both sides. The chemistry neither can switch off. The tenderness that suddenly seeps into their actions. So so
Jassy
The Wolf at the Door is a werewolf-shifter romance combined with mystery-suspense elements.

In percentages:
20% werewolf: This is not that much… it’s rather just mentioned than getting real on-page time.

30% romance: That’s also very little for my normal tastes but the whole book is about a slowly developing relationship. The MCs start with a heavy dose of mistrust, which changes to some reluctant co-working, which changes slowly to trust and attraction and then to a still very much careful relat
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4.5
Audio Book: Erik Bloomquist - 4
Book Cover: 3.5

I feel a bit like waking up from a deep sleep here. “Why haven't I read this series earlier?” – I think to myself.

Simply put, I don’t know. But I’m happy to have gotten with the program at long last.

To put it short and sweet:

*I really enjoyed the mystery part here. I had my eye on a few suspects, one in particular for a great big part of the story and guess what! It wasn’t who I thought! So definitely a star for that!

*The ch
♆Hayley (TheVillainousReader)
Um, hi, yes, hello, I can feel that I’m going to be obsessed with this series. I’m already obsessing about how the next book doesn’t come out until September! Book gods, why do you keep doing this to me!?

Cooper was so different than all the other characters I’ve read in M/M, and I’ve read quite a few. He’s a mid thirties, cynical and sarcastic as fuck, FBI (well now BSI) agent with a melancholy outlook on life. He spends his free time getting drunk off RED WINE (red wine just always makes me thi
Mir
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Dayton is a former FBI agent who now works for the BSI, tracking down rogue werewolves.
We eventually learn that he got into law enforcement because it was a family tradition -- this is useful to know, because it explains why he's in a field that he doesn't seem to suited for. He isn't great at investigating, or dealing with people, and he trusts his colleagues too much and himself not enough.

For those more interested in werewolves than crime investigation, I'll mention that there isn't a lot o
Hollis
I'm not quite sure where this one landed for me. I think the combination of a somewhat up and down, minor disaster character we had as the main POV, plus a very twisty mystery, and complicated politics with the human being teamed up with inhuman wolf, not to mention the messiness of the wolf and human dynamics and bigotry as a whole, made all of this.. a lot?

It did have some good moments, and naturally I'm in love with the soft alpha cinnamon roll that is Ollie, but.. I don't know? I appreciate
Monica Vidal
Saw this one on twitter, got interested in the blurb, got the book and GOT SO FREAKING LUCKY, because it’s GOOOD! I love it when I chance upon a book and I score high!

At first, I thought it was just another shifter book but boy oh boy was I mistaken. Well, they do shifter because werewolves but that’s part of the allure. We have Special Agent Cooper Dayton, who was an FBI agent but due to an incident involving wolves, he got “promoted” to the Bureau of Special Investigation, which is just a fan
Snjez
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I went into this story not knowing much about it and ended up really enjoying it.

The mystery part was done really well. Up to the very end, like literally a few pages before everything was revealed, I had no idea what was going on. That was so refreshing, because I often guess early on.

I liked Cooper and Park a lot. They had this great chemistry right from the start.

Cooper often comes across as prickly and rude, he can be awkward and often speaks before he thinks but I actually fou
Eugenia
Different from your standard shifter romances......

And different is a good thing in this sub-genre. Unfortunately, it's novelty wasn't enough to make up for a lot of deficiencies in this book.

Positives:
Shifting wasn't the be-all and end all. In fact, there is only one on-page shift.

The werewolf culture world building was slow to reveal itself. For me, this was a pleasure since I wasn't buried in an info-dump.

There was some UST.

The book tried to tackle bigotry. (With limited success).

Now for my n
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whatever, I'm giving this 4.5★'s and rounding up!

So, I knew I was totally into the book but I was not totally into Cooper and was unsure how his character was going to impact my rating and total enjoyment. Not much I guess. He was tough to like and even tougher to get to know or even slightly figure out. Actually, he was pretty much a dick for more than half the book. But, there were glimpses. Tiny little things that made you want to love this guy and just made you angrier when he was a complete
Caz
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Caz by: Em Wittmann
4.5 stars rounded up.

An excellent début from Charlie Adhara, Wolf at the Door combines romance, mystery and paranormal elements and weaves them skilfully together into a procedural drama that provides a thoroughly entertaining and gripping read.

FBI Cooper Dayton narrowly survived a werewolf attack around a year before the story begins.  At the time, he had no idea what had caused his injuries; as far as he knew, he was chasing down a murder suspect.  Given the choice between finding out what rea
Fabi
Kidnapped and held hostage until the very last page.

It was the perfect length and the perfect start to a brand new series.

At first I thought it was similar to other series I've read like Charlie Cochet's THIRDS series. But it quickly took on a life of its own. Saying it's an M/M Romance Shifter Crime Mystery doesn't do it justice.

It's one of those rare gems where I don't notice the writing at all. It's so well done that my entire focus is on the story with no hiccups from the writing to distract
annob
Normally murder mysteries tend to bore me to death, and I rarely read such stories. In this case the raving reviews and the temptation of a good shifter romance made me turn a blind eye to the murdering bits.

The opening scene was so much fun! Poor Coop! I was smitten by both main characters from the get go, the undercurrent between them and how the plot was throwing them together yet kept them apart. A well paced slow-burn romance (but not without steamy scenes), and yet the tension in the rela
⚣Michaelle⚣
Took a while to really feel engaged with this one, but once I did I couldn't put it down. It's not often I read a sequel right after finishing an installment but that's exactly what I am going to do. Lots of questions still left unanswered and I want to see how the MC's relationship continues to develop.
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
The Prickly Porcupine Cooper.

And, the mysterious Oliver.

The execution of the book was sloooooooow and I had a hard time visualizing these MCs. So I found pics of my own.

Coopers POV. This book really needs dual POV. But, Cooper, I still like. The story as a whole was has slow painful pacing, but, it also has a hidden gem, the WORLD and SCENERY description writing are amazing. I look forward in seeing what this writer does with this story and character.
Lisazj1
4.5 stars. And this is the author's debut novel? Petty damn impressive. I'm really looking forward to more from this series!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)
  • Exhale (Flesh and Bone, #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • Unjustified Claims (Hidden Wolves #3)
  • Bitter Legacy (Bitter Legacy, #1)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Guardians Of The Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne, #5)
  • Long Shadows (Common Law, #1)
  • Undertow (Infected #7)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • Nights Like These
  • A Frost of Cares
Charlie Adhara has always loved a good story and, on occasion, a bad one. After getting her degree in neuroscience, Charlie decided she’d much rather study the heart. She now writes contemporary, mystery, paranormal, queer romance. Or some assortment of that. Whatever the genre, her stories feature imperfect people stumbling around, tripping over trouble and falling in love.
Charlie has done a fai

Big Bad Wolf (4 books)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, # 4)
“Murder was like getting a tattoo. The first one you carefully ask yourself why; each one after you ask yourself why not?” 2 likes
“So he’d made promises. And when his recovery was complete he found himself signing away his life in the hushed office of Jacob Furthoe, Director of the secretive Bureau of Special Investigations. “Monsters are real,” Furthoe said, accepting his contract like a pin-pulled grenade and pointing to the chair across the desk.” 1 likes