Start by marking “Madhouse” as Want to Read:
Madhouse

Madhouse

Don’t talk to strangers.

Faced with his parents’s divorce, eleven-year-old Lucas runs away from his house with the hope that his family will get back together to find him. On his way walking through the empty streets, he is picked up by a mysterious woman who offers to take care of him and provide him with a loving family.

The boy then wakes up in shackles, confined to a
Published October 24th 2017

Start your review of Madhouse
Bren
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of YA Horror.
Madhouse wasn't bad at all if one is looking for a nifty little horror novel. (Or I should say Novella). But for me it is just not my particular type of book. I was hoping it would be more psychological in nature, although with a title such as this, maybe I should have known.

Still the writing was good. Lucas is not just a young kidnapped boy. He has his own personality and he is frankly adorable with all the clever ways he finds to evade and hide from his kidnappers.

But for me the graphic violen
Cheryl
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a 3.5 star read.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to destiny ♡⚔♡ by: Britt
My initial reaction "review" to this was just "Not bad." It's been almost a year since then and I really wish I'd left myself better notes to go off of than that, because I don't remember much of anything about this book... and sadly, I guess that's a review in and of itself. I remember being fairly amused by it, and it's a really quick read (that's free in the kindle store), so check it out for yourself as you have nothing to lose! That said, I just don't think it struck anything in me enough t ...more
Veronica
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book but I found it hard to get through. It just could not hold my interest at all.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed this short story.

Lucas is a lovely kid who is mixed up because his mum and dad arn't getting on. His plan of running away in the hope of keeping them together seriously backfires when he is picked up by a strange woman who wants him to become part of her family.

From the moment that Lucas wakens in the house, I was screaming in my head for him to get out. When he meets the woman's husband, I think I was as scared of him as poor Lucas.

To say this is a short read, I really didn't
Linda
Dec 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too much unnecessary descriptions, causing you to actually be less able to follow the story. The description of the house had me completely confused. True the story goes fast, but that didn't make it good. For a book that was supposed to be a quick read, it was agony to finish the last 15 minutes.
Amanda
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was okay. Some of the scenarios were A bit ridiculous but it was an easy read.
Bri
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This was better than I expected! What a chilling ending, and it was quick and engaging overall.
☕Brenda☕
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A spooky short little horror novella.
Not terrible, and not great.
Probably actually a 3.5 rating, but I rounded up.
Michelle
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-i-read
Okay this story was amazing. I started reading this late at night with intentions on finishing it another day and couldn't put it down.

The story followes along with a young kid, Lucas, who in the midst of running away from home in an attempt to teach his divorcing parents a lessons gets kidnapped and taken in by a psychotic family.

This story kept me interested throughout and had a fabolous plot twist at the end that I didn't see coming which I suppose I should have. (view spoiler)
Rhonda
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Predictable

You could guess the ending from early on. Wasn't much on horror to the story and something's just didn't make sense like the author kept referring to the giant as being a hundred pounds
Cat Ellington
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Featured at The Review Period with Cat Ellington from 2019-06-05 - 2019-06-20, Madhouse by Miguel Estrada has been archived for its place in the Reviews by Cat Ellington Complete anthology book series.

• The Review Period with Cat Ellington: https://catellington.blogspot.com/
Shayney Hardcastle
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful Quick Read

For such a short story, it kept me hooked the entire time. Usually short stories feel rushed and like a lot has been left out to complete it so quickly, but I didn't feel like that with this one. Would I have liked to have read more? Yes! But that's a sign of a good author, writing and story, when you want more, but I felt fulfilled and not dissatisfied. It was suspenseful, I wouldn't say horror filled, but still a really good, gripping read. Even more so for a free Kindle
chucklesthescot
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella, horror, fiction, ebook
Lucas is upset to hear that his parents Mary and Tom are splitting up and he is determined to stop it from happening. Using the logic of a child, he believes that if he was to temporarily go missing, they would be so worried about him and relieved to have him home safe that they will decide to stay together. When he sneaks out of the house that night he meets Bella in her car and she offers him a new home with her. The next thing Lucas knows is that he is chained up in a bedroom of a strange hou ...more
Rose English
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Book 20 of my Goodreads Challenge 2018

I enjoyed this book although it did not flow as well as it could have, perhaps something was lost in translation. It is quite an horrific tale but it has an amazing twist at the end I certainly did not see that coming.

A short read so worth a peek if you are a fan of horror.
Charlotte
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
*WARNING* contains violence, crude language, and gore.
Lucas is an only child that finds out his parents plan on separating. Lucas has a plan to keep his family together, but it doesn't go the way he expected.
The ending was not a surprise, I was expecting it. The story was an on the edge of your seat type if story. I was rooting for Lucas, cringing when Martin popped up, curious about Bella, the story had me fully involved from the start.
Nancy❤The❤Bookaholic
The ending was good

The blurb of this book intrigued me. It was a but slow for my liking. I was waiting for the book to grab me and hold my attention but unfortunately it didn't. I do like the twist at the end, that's why I gave it 3 stars. If it wasn't for the twist I think I would've just given it 2 stars.
Jessie
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Not what I was expecting, but a nice surprise! An enjoyable read.
 Charlie  ✰ WLTB Blog ✰
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
New author to me.

I really enjoyed this short story it kept me turning the pages and I didn't see that twist at the end. short but a good read. will be checking out the author's other books.
Matt Roberts
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty Good

This was a quick read that kept me enthralled from beginning to end. I wish it were a longer story, but what it is was good enough for 4 stars. I'll have to check out the author's other stuff.
Mike Prewitt
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good novella it is short but a good easy read. Give it a listen
Ginny
Oct 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
Wow,I didn't imagine it ending that way.What a shock that would be for him if he ever found out the truth.
Mandy Saial
What a horrific nightmare Lucas has to go through .There was a lot going on in this novella but I enjoyed the fast pace that The author kept me on . I was captivated with all the suspenseful twists .
Jessica
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Madhouse is a short horror story about an eleven-year-old boy who runs away from home after learning his parents might get divorced only to be kidnapped by some crazy people who hold him in their house that probably really needs a housekeeper.

This story was.... alright, I suppose. It wasn't the most interesting of stories and really has a lot of typical horror tropes to get through. I'm watching a lets play of RE7, and I can really see the "trapped in a house with crazies" done well, making thi
Stephanie White
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A short story, that does leave you on the edge of your seat. I don't want to give to much away - mom and dad are getting divorced, son who is 12, doesn't want them to- runs away and then the fun begins.

Dark, lots of death, violent - and a twist at the end that I know I didn't see.

If you aren't in to violence, then this book won't be for you.

And it is very original - so many books you can sort of get a feel for it and know ahead of time what is going to happen - but that isn't the case with this
Christy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I Wasn't Quite Respecting That.....

01/14/2018
I chose those book because I was intrigued by its syniopsis; had I have known it would have the disturbing scenarios in it, I may have not have read it - however I made my choice and it cannot be undone.

When a preteen boy (Lucas) decides to run away in the middle of the night, he encounters unmanageable events, events that evens some adults nay not survive. Firstly, allow me to tell you how these events transpired. After arriving home from school o
Erin Trump
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t really sure about this book when I started it, but it captivated me & before I knew it I had read the entire thing, it was thrilling & on-edge, with a surprising twist at the end. I will definitely be reading more of Miguel’s books! 4 star rating only because I didn’t get hooked right away, & that’s a big deal for me. If I could do 4.5 I totally would! ...more
Carolyn Injoy
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Madhouse: A Suspenseful Horror, Don't Talk to Strangers by Miguel Estrada Madhouse: A Suspenseful Horror, Don't Talk to Strangers by Miguel Estrada is a frightening book. It's about eleven-year-old Lucas, a runaway because of his parent's pending divorce.

He's picked up by a woman who promises to provide a loving family for him.

Things are not always what they seem. I gave it four stars.

He sneaked out of the house after his parents were sleeping.

"Lucas wasn't afraid of the night. It was the da
April
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Good, fun short read! Had a lot of action at the end!! Quick Wild Ride~!
Ronald Keeler
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Madhouse by Miguel Estrada is a 58-page short story available for USD 0.00 as a purchase (not KU) from Amazon. The very short story will have a very short review. Anything more would be an automatic spoiler.

Lucas was a clever kid. At eleven-years-old, he liked to play games with his parents. Every afternoon coming home from school, he would sneak into his house in a different way to surprise his parents. They never knew where they might find him in the house. That kind of behavior inevitably led

• Heaven's Peak
  • The house next door
  • Horror Stories (Scare Street Horror Short Stories, #4)
  • 99 Stories of Blood on the Wall: A collection of 99 word horror stories
  • Treehouse
  • The Girl in the Woods (Off-Kilter Tales #1)
  • Badwater: A Horror Story (The Shattered God Mythos)
  • This is Gonna Hurt (Scare Street Horror Short Stories, #3)
  • Typhoid Mary
  • The Ghost Files (The Ghost Files, #1)
  • Even Good Girls: A Murder Mystery