Start by marking “Not Here” as Want to Read:
Not Here

Not Here

Not Here is a flight plan for escape and a map for navigating home; a queer Vietnamese American body in confrontation with whiteness, trauma, family, and nostalgia; and a big beating heart of a book. Nguyen’s poems ache with loneliness and desire and the giddy terrors of allowing yourself to hope for love, and revel in moments of connection achieved.
Published April 10th 2018 by Coffee House Press

To ask other readers questions about Not Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Here

Roxane
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding collection of poetry about queerness, boyhood, sons and their mothers, what we carry when who we are is not enough for the people who should love us best, desire and the thrall of want. Cockfight is a real stand out but all the poems offer something beautiful, razor sharp, intelligent, interesting, memorable.
Michael
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2018, poetry
My review, as well as my other thoughts on reading, also can be found on my blog.

Over the course of a few dozen poems, Nguyen confronts his relationship to space, memory, and pain as a queer Vietnamese-American man. The collection consists of a mix of long and short pieces, addressing everything from childhood trauma to the loss of love, and it features a wide array of forms. Nguyen's versatility as a poet is mesmerizing, as are the cadences of his poems. His images are lucid, his language
Thomas

A vulnerable, moving poetry collection written by queer Vietnamese American author Hieu Minh Nguyen. As a queer Vietnamese American myself, I related to so much of the content here, including how Nguyen describes confrontations with whiteness and racism, difficult and nuanced relationships with family, and general moments of sadness and connection. Though his words felt relatable to me, he has a distinct voice all of his own. Certain lines took my breath away, like "I'm told to be o
Ken
This was recommended by a fellow poet and did not disappoint in that it had some beautiful lines along the way. Nguyen tackles issues surrounding his coming-of-age as a gay Vietnamese-American, so the extremely personal topics touch on racism, homophobia, and his own inner turmoil growing up.

Some poems cross into TMI territory, but I most appreciated the poems concerning his mother and grandmother, father and uncles--that is, the way coming out can create anger, fear, hysteria, and hate within
jenni
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, poetry
went into this only knowing that hieu went to high school with one of my best friends and that last week I definitely reached out to him on twitter and said he could take a picture of my butt for unstated artistic purposes and then I picked up his book at the library and all I could think about was Minneapolis and how much I long for it and how beholden I am to the entire oeuvre of this poet community that I am trying to offer up my own literal ass as a boon to mark my appreciation
Caroline
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Stellar collection. Clear-eyed observations on the bond between mother and son, mental health, and race.

"I'm trying to understand that memory / is not a technology, a full charge / will get you nowhere, if you're stuck / tracing the perimeters of your dull nostalgia / for an exit." -from "Punish"

"Too often, I don't tell people / (people I love) I am sad. I don't think that's some- / thing they would want to hear. Because they love me. / Because I don'
Emily Polson
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bless language
its impossible walls
its flexible agony
a thin line
I keep tripping over

Hieu Minh Nguyen faces his issues head on with these poems, discussing molestation, queerness, racial identity, and his complicated relationship with his mother. The collection picks up speed in the second half, where nearly every poem made me pause, ponder, and reread. My favorites were, in order of appearance:

-"Attending the Party"
-"Punish"
-"White Boy Time Machine:
Lisa Lieberman
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lovely, heartbreaking poems. I found the epigraph for my current novel:
Let me be clear: any love I find will be treason.
Can't remember which friend recommended this, but THANK YOU!
musa b-n
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many many content warnings that I definitely wish I'd been given before I read this - abuse, child abuse, parental abuse, fatphobia ... this poetry is incredibly and speaks to me more than a lot of poetry has in a while. I'm glad to have read it. It is definitely achingly sad.
Blythe Baird
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books of poetry I've ever read. Poignant, beautiful, startling, captivating.
Liam
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of poetry that I've read this year.
Trevor
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: apl, poetry, tlb, lgbtq, 2019
Didn't like this one as much as This Way to the Sugar, but still a solid collection of poems here. Favorites include: Lesson; Dear X; Attending the Party; The Study; Apology, Sort Of; Again, Let Me Explain Again.
Will
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hieu Minh Nguyen is an unstoppable light? An incomparable force? A delight to the senses? Yes. Once again, Nguyen has written a collection that left me gasping for breath and grasping for more. His poems are introspective, reflective, and gorgeous. He spills what feels like his whole being on the page writing about childhood trauma, sex with strangers, his relationship with his mother, and being a depressed person just trying to get by. What he leaves is a collection full of a passion, at times ...more
Elizabeth Willis
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, small-press, poetry
“Like all agony, there are pleasant moments / but only when we forget / what carried us here," says Hieu Minh Nguyen’s Not Here. His is a brutally beautiful collection of poems that considers home, queerness, Vietnamese American identity, whiteness, trauma. It is imbued with a hungry wit, seeking belonging, seeking existence, seeking survival. The speaker interrogates his own origins: the blanks, the empty spaces, the words whited-out. "Oh, but why am I here?," he asks. The memories he encounters are ...more
Lauren
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nguyen's debut collection is outstanding. If you have enjoyed the work of Kaveh Akbar, Ocean Vuong, and Chen Chen, this is very much in the same thread. It is an exciting time in poetry.

Danielle
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
What an overwhelming feeling of lonelyness resounding from these poems. Many of these are a bit erotic, but even his partners in these poems come with a cold anonymity to the reader.  'Again, What Do I Know About Desire?' was the one I kept flipping back to to reread.
Jess
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer-poetry
I was tagging poems and lines I loved, and at the end realised I had tagged every single damn poem in this book. Incredible.
SabirSultan
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not a collection that is easily digestible. It sits with you. Sits heavy on your mind and tongue. Loops circles in your brain as you try to unthink it. It made me think about sex and who we are to each other when we have it.

It’s subject is trauma - sexual, familial, historical. The site of the trauma is the poet’s voice & the poet’s body. The poems point backwards and forwards as the voice uses sexual encounters to renact the various traumas again and again. All the while the voice
Danny Caine
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
In his new collection Not Here, poet Hieu Minh Nguyen writes “there are countless ways / to justify company. Hunger, overdue balance, whatever.” Here’s how to justify your company with this book: it’s terrific and heartbreaking poetry, a thrill to read. The book’s speaker grieves, desires, cries, and develops a difficult truce with his disproving mother. The son-of-immigrants queer identity is a cause of siege (“the problem / with history / somewhere somewhere someone wants you / gone”) yet the book ...more
Preston Stell
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was beautiful and painful. Really I was blown away by this collection. I never thought I would be this interested by poetry, but I’m so glad I picked this up.
Lynsy • Little Book Jockey
This collection is full of love and pain, and something in between. I felt these poems, which is one of the best things you can ask for from poetry. Particular favorites include: "White Boy Time Machine: Instruction Manual," "Nguyen," "Type II," "The Study," "Again, What Do I Know About Desire?," "Again, Let Me Explain Again," "Mercy," "White Boy Time Machine: Override," "Changling," "The Ranger," and "Notes on Staying."
Hillary
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Woah.
Brett Dupré
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Great ambition here, and when the poems work, he’s nearly peerless.
Matthew
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, poetry
When I wasn’t crying I was smiling. These poems shine bright with the glittery blood of trauma and truth. These poems are raw and require attention.
MF
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite collections of poetry that I have read (which admittedly isn't many).
Lexi Nylander
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
"I guess I'm trying to understand what makes a man carry guilt the same way he would a bat."

"because grief can taste of sugar if you run your tongue along the right edge"

"In my dreams, the bouquet falls from the sky. Sometimes it's on fire. Sometimes it's just a skull but I catch it - I catch it, every time."

"What am I supposed to do now, now that I've spent most of my life without you, but still need you to save me?"

"I'm told to be open to the pos
John  Mihelic
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nguyen's book of poems not here have an eroticism to it.

Now, I sat on reviewing this mainly because there's an adjective that belongs in front of that word “eroticism”. And as much as I thought about it I really couldn't sit down and figure the best modifier to put in there. The closest word I would say is like “tragic”, but was also something else I can't really Define it's a certain je ne sais quoi in a real sense. But overall they're pretty good. I would tell my friends to read th
Samantha
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another poetry book I've been anticipating that didn't disappoint. This is a sharp collection about body image and childhood trauma and masculinity and being queer. I like the series of poems called "White Boy Time Machine" that threads through the book. Other standouts for me were "B.F.F." and "Changeling." Also, that badass cover is badass.
Ryan Mishap
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I'm still learning how to read poetry as my mind doesn't work in pictures when I read text. So, I try to let the feelings induced by the words take over and not let intellect parse it.

In this volume, I felt sad, bittersweet, quietly enraged, invisible, and strong.
Nhi
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i wasn’t moved by hieu minh nguyen’s first poetry compilation, but this one? goodness. how many times is a heart allowed to break?
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Museum of the Americas
  • Deep Lane: Poems
  • Cape Verdean Blues
  • I Can't Talk About the Trees Without the Blood
Hieu Minh Nguyen is a poet, author, and performer. He was born and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota, by a single, Vietnamese-American, mother. He is the author of This Way to the Sugar (Write Bloody Press, 2014). Hieu is a Kundiman fellow, a recipient of the VERVE grant from Intermedia Arts, and a recipient of the Minnesota Emerging Writers’ Grant from The Loft Literary Center. His work has also ap ...more