Start by marking “10th Grade” as Want to Read:
10th Grade

10th Grade

Jeremiah Reskin has big plans for tenth grade—he wants to make some friends and he wants to take a girl’s shirt off. It’s not going too well at first, but when he meets a group of semibohemian outcasts, things start to change. Soon he’s negotiating his way through group back rubs and trying to find the courage to make a move on Renee Shopmaker, the hottest girl in school. ...more
Published January 14th 2003 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about 10th Grade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10th Grade

Kewpie
Nov 28, 2007 Kewpie rated it did not like it
OMG OMG OMG instead of just writing a review of this book I will show U what it is like 2 read it!!!!!!!!! 1 thing U must no is that this book has lots and lots of run-on sentences that seem 2 go on & on & on & on and change the subject all over the place & take up a whole paragraph which can take up a whole page & there instead of spelling out whole words the author uses single numbers & letters and 2 much punctuation or no punctuation at all 2 make it seem like a real l ...more
karen
Jun 11, 2007 karen rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, despite the punctuation (what 10th grader doesn't know how to use commas? we were diagramming sentences in 7th grade at my school! lol). I thought Jeremy was a likeable character, even though he wasn't perfect. It was funny to read his perspective on things, his day dreams, and even his obsession with sex (men...sigh!!). I enjoyed it!
The Book Crusader
Unlike many, my main gripe was not the atrocious spelling, grammar, and lack of punctuation: being an on again/off again member of fanfiction.net for over nine years has given me a strong immunity to all of the above mentioned. Furthermore, I know many a member of that site that could easily give Jeremy a run for his money in all those regards.

No, my main gripe is that Weisberg seemed to only give the bare minimum of effort in regards to the story, thus never letting the story reach its full pot
Prechana Limgee
"10th Grade" was really fun to read. It is full of high school events that we an relate ourselves to

Jeremiah Renskin a 10 th grader is so into hot girls! He has a very out standing personality. And daydreams about all those heroic stuff. Falls in love with the hottest girl, Renee Shopmaker and daydreams about her everytime. He's got a great sense or humor! I couldn't stop laughing with every page full of ridiculously funny thoughts and jokes. So in one word this book is AMAZING.

I really loved
Willyg2015
May 22, 2013 Willyg2015 rated it did not like it
The idea of school is getting good grades and be able to have sexual relations with girls. Well from the mind of a teenage boy it is but for girls it is different. This book was not very well written and I found it to be very ill written and had terrible grammar. I could not picture anything in this sorry excuse for a novel. I have never read a book so ill written in my life. I also did not want to picture what this guy was saying. I found that their was no rhetorical appeals in this book. '"You ...more
Justin Liang
Apr 08, 2013 Justin Liang rated it liked it
10th Grade by Joseph Weisberg is a novel about Jeremiah Reskin’s 10th grade plans and expectations. The first thing he wants to do is make new friends. But his main objective was that he wants to take off a girl’s shirt off. As he starts his sophomore year of high school, things weren’t going as planned. But as his high school life progressed, he meets a group of semibohernian outcasts and things were changing in his favor. Renee Shopmaker, the hottest girl in school was one of Jeremiah Reskin’s ...more
Diana
May 22, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
10th grade is book I enjoyed reading. Joseph Weisberg describes the struggles and obstacles of Jeremiah Reskin including being on the soccer team, and what happens during his sophomore year in high school. He talks about the girl who he is crushing on, Renee, and all the fantasies he has of her and him, just like any guy would with him and a hot girl. He meets a new group of friends, Caroline, Gillian, Douglas and Kath. They hang out a lot and become really close friends. Caroline, is a "trouble ...more
Colin
Jan 15, 2013 Colin rated it liked it
This book is about a sophomore boy who starts tries to make new friends and start a new high school career. The purpose of this book is to show people what life life of a 10th grader is. Jeremy ends up finding a few new friends that he spends lots of time with. The authors style took some time to get used to. He wrote like a 10th grader no doubt, but once I understood it was a lot better. The dialogue of the book was pretty good, although there were some parts where it was confusing on who was s ...more
Josue Gonzalez
Dec 03, 2014 Josue Gonzalez rated it really liked it
"10th Grade" is about a boy named Jeremiah Reskin and his life is during his sophomore year. In the beginning of the book Jeremy (Jeremiah) finds a group of friends to hang out with Gillian, Douglass, Kath, and Caroline. At first he doesn't quite get along with the group but eventually he does. Then something happens and he starts to hang out with another group of friends towards the end of his sophomore year. Renee, John, Randy, Cindy, and Lenea, where he and his friends go to prom while they a ...more
Catherine
Jan 15, 2011 Catherine rated it liked it
This was a fun read, but left me feeling a little bit cold. I'd describe the protagonist/narrator as Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower if he wrote and thought more like the average 10th grade dude. I think this recognition is probably part of what made me feel so "enh" about this perfectly fine book.

What I liked:
There were passages that were hilarious! I think there was a real echo of truth in watching Jeremy navigate high school in his sophomore year and trying on different groups of
Mike
May 08, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
Little different type of book, as the entire novel is written as a somewhat stream of consciousness of a semi-awkward but mostly normal high school sophomore. The story isn't really one - just what happens during 10th grade, with love, drugs, sex sharing a lot of space with confused feelings and crazy day dreams, all most dwarfed with "Hey", "Good", "Nothing" sort of responses that I know are commonplace at that age (and most others).

It's definitely the type of book you have to be in the mood f
Estelle
Aug 09, 2011 Estelle rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book. The style is a little hard to get through since it lacks the correct grammar and punctuation as Jeremy's journal. I loved how real and honest he was. Also sensitive and perceptive. A little Catcher and the Rye and Perks of a Wallflower without the super serious situations. Nice change of pace to read from a male POV as well. Handled well with a multi-layered plot. (Loved his relationship with his sister Claire.)
Thomas
Apr 30, 2016 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: High school sophomore + higher
Michael Head
Jan 14, 2008 Michael Head rated it really liked it
Classic, from the viewpoint of a 30-something who grew up in the same era depicted in the novel. I literally waxed nostalgic as I read, and upon finishing the novel. The subject matter is mature, but absolutely honest and true-to-life. To say it's a modern-day Catcher in the Rye would be presumptuous...but the similarities are present. Stylistically, the book is Faulkner-esque...punctuation and other grammatical devices are basically ignored.
A Hollingdale
Sep 11, 2012 A Hollingdale rated it liked it
The run-on sentences through this entire book made it hard to read. I frequently found myself rereading things over and over again to try to understand what was going on in the plot. Overall, once I sifted through the English teacher's nightmare of a writing style, the story was quite enjoyable.... and I chuckled to myself every time I saw Tits capitalized like it is a proper noun.
Erin
Feb 15, 2008 Erin rated it it was ok
It was ok. Nothing really happens in this year in the life of a 10th grade boy. His thoughts and the conversations he has with his friends are realistic. But in terms of recommending it to someone else, I'd say only to girls and guys who actually like reading and like real life fiction. In fact, girls would probably enjoy it alot more than boys, since they could learn what guys are thinking.
Sue
I really enjoyed this book upon reading it the summer before my sophomore year of high school. in a strangely holden caulfield-ish way, the protagonist is easily detestable and pathetic yet extremely likable. although when i read it, i couldn't mount up to the life experience he had--and still can't--the painful of awkwardness he experienced is parallel with mine.
Jessica
Jul 28, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book was fun in that it really did seem to come from the brain of a 10th grade boy. The punctuation, or lack of it, was a little frustrating at times, but appropriate. I found myself having to go back and read things aloud to get the true meaning of some things.

It is a fun read overall.
Ginger ♥
Jul 23, 2008 Ginger ♥ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Incoming sophomores
I read this the spring before my sophmore yr. and I loved it. I lent it out (but was sure to write my name in it lol). I enjoyed this read because there was a little of everything to please everyone =-)
Jaimie Donovan
Apr 23, 2008 Jaimie Donovan rated it liked it
This book was cute. It made me get to see from a 10th grade(boys)perspective how one year of High School developed. It just goes to show not everyone has the same experience in high school as everyone else. And being a girl and hearing it from a guy was just different.
W.patrick.bingham
Aug 09, 2007 W.patrick.bingham rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Guys
The most interesting thing about this book is the way it was written. It's written as if a 10th grader (with really poor grammar) had written it. But, I think it's mainly for guys. Girls can relate to it, but it's mainly geared towards the average, not-so-popular guy.
Jessica
Oct 09, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it
The author did a perfect job at convincing you this book really was written by a boy in the 10th grade. Many aspects of the story really reminded me of high school, so the book was both fun and nostalgic. It had plenty of laugh out loud moments, and it was an easy read. I loved it!
Shawn
Feb 28, 2008 Shawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This was an ok book; it is written with little to no punctuation since the narrator is in the 10th grade (I had to know how to punctuate at that age). I remember finding the technique to be exceedingly tiresome.
Kate
Jun 01, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: 2003, age-ya, realistic
The spelling and grammar (or lack thereof) kind of drove me crazy, but it was somewhat realistic.
Ed
Shelves: in-2010
Pretty good
Melody
Mar 29, 2009 Melody rated it did not like it
Unreadable. Perhaps the story is interesting, I couldn't get past the writing to find out.
Rebecca
Jun 30, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: pre-2007
The best thing about this book is Weisberg writing EXACTLY like a boy the narrator's age.
Sera
Jul 24, 2009 Sera rated it liked it
Shelves: other-fiction, own
Not as good as I had hoped.
Trudy Somers
Feb 23, 2011 Trudy Somers rated it really liked it
Loved this book, captures the voice of a 10th grade boy to a tea! funny and poignant
  • The Psycho Ex Game
  • The Fundamentals of Play: A Novel
  • Beautiful Bodies: A Novel
  • True Story
  • Girlfriend 44
  • Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
  • Welcome to Higby
  • Social Disease
  • The Day I Turned Uncool: Confessions of a Reluctant Grown-up
  • Sam the Cat: and Other Stories
  • A Certain Age
  • Now I'll Tell You Everything (Alice, #25)
  • Her