Start by marking “How the Finch Got His Colors” as Want to Read:
How the Finch Got His Colors

How the Finch Got His Colors

Many years ago, before the world bloomed in magnificent colors, the Earth lay stark and gray.

The animals that graced its skies and roamed its lands were the colors of dirt, clay, and stone . . .

. . . until Rainbow descended to bestow her colors on the creatures of the world. Each bird asked for a bright and beautiful color: green for Parrot, red for Cardinal, and yellow f
Published February 2018 by Familius

To ask other readers questions about How the Finch Got His Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Finch Got His Colors

Figgy
RTC

This is a gorgeous little mythical origin story, beautifully illustrated.

Somewhat disappointing that they didn't do an Aussie spelling version of this one as it might cause confusion for readers who are still learning, but a lovely addition to the collection anyway.
Laurie
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3

How boring would it be if the world and everything in it were the color of dirt, clay, and stone? Pretty boring, right? Well many years ago, that's just how it was until one day it rained and then a rainbow came out. As the rainbow came down it bathed everything in color a little at a time. As all of the birds clamored to get a color of their own, the Great Bird noticed that one little Gouldian Finch remained grey. He was patiently waiting for his turn to get a color when the
Kimberly Sabatini
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
HOW THE FINCH GOT HIS COLORS is the full package. This folktale retelling is lyrical, but very accessible for young readers. The illustrations are gorgeous and there are wonderful, deeper messages embedded in the book that parents and teachers can expand upon in a very organic way. As a bonus, FINCH comes with fun facts about Gouldian Finches, discussion questions and a bibliography. Guertin does an amazing job with her debut picture book and I can't wait to see what the brings to the shelves ne ...more
Lisa Lewis
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
This book is wonderfully written, the lyrics sing to my heart. The illustrations are beautiful and eye-catching. I have just purchased it as a gift for our Montessori school, and I am sure it will be treasured for a long time.
Kate
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Imagine my joy when I saw that this was written by a local author! The illustrations are colorful and beautiful, and the story is the perfect length and tone to capture and hold a youngster’s attention.
Rebecca
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely little origin story about the colorful Gouldian finch, possibly my new favorite bird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouldia...). Pair with Ashley Bryan's "Beautiful Blackbird." Folk-art-looking illustrations by Helena Perez Garcia -- how awesome is the cover design??
Patricia
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A gentle treatment of how diversity in wildlife depends on sharing. The finch waited his turn to be given colors, but when it seemed as if the rainbow had been all used up, the great bird finds a solution by taking a bit from each color and thus makes the finch the most beautiful bird in the world.

This is based on a Belgian folk tale.
Elizabeth
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This a retelling of a Belgian folktale about finches from New Guniea and Northern Australia. I had a little difficulty connecting the dots and of course - one of the students said this not how the bible tells it. I think too soon in the school year for this read. I had to remind them that it was a folktale. So not the truth?
Patricia McLaughlin
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely illustrations and magical story bring this Belgian folktale to life with living color; includes interesting characteristics of common birds and creation stories about the origin of their plumage, particularly the Gouldian finch and its fitting reward for patience.
Lisa
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous and could be used as a springboard into a non-fiction study of birds and/or more specifically the Gouldian finch. It's so nice to see more picture books illustrated from around the world. Such a boon for young people.
Lisa Day
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this book was a re-telling, but as I hadn't heard the story before I thought it was beautiful as are the illustrations.
Rachel
Such rich illustrations that use color to great impact, a nice retelling of a Belgian folktale.
Cornmaven
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written and illustration modern pourquois tale about a particular finch and its multicolored array of feathers. I love it and I think kids will as well
Stephanie Campisi
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written creation story with rich, evocative prose and breathtaking folk-art illustrations. One for both the bookshelf and for framing on the wall!
Tara
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful . Teacher approved :)
Jolene Gutiérrez
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This porquoi story tells us the origin of the Gouldian finch's beautiful colors. All animals used to be gray and brown, but after much rain, a rainbow emerges and kisses many birds with color. But poor, patient Finch waits his turn until all the colors are used up. Will Finch be gray forever? Gorgeous illustrations accompany this lovely story, and back matter including discussion questions allow readers to think critically about the story.
Janie Evans
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"How the Finch Got His Colors" by Annemarie Guertin. I loved this book. To be honest I bought this book to support Annemarie because her daughter and my daughter are friends. I like supporting new authors, and she also worked at one of the elementary schools as a teacher. Great for any age. For parents with younger children they would love hearing this story while looking at the beautiful pictures. School aged children will also enjoy reading this on their own.
Ann
Jun 05, 2018
Debby Baumgartner
Apr 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Annemarie Riley Guertin graduated with a bachelor of science degree in early childhood education from Wheelock College and a master's degree (summa cum laude) in elementary education from Fitchburg State University. Annemarie is an adjunct early childhood professor and a first grade teacher. She lives in Haverhill, Massachusetts, with her husband, Michael and their two children.