Start by marking “The Scot's Secret (Border Series, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Scot's Secret (Border Series, #4)

The Scot's Secret (Border #4)

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
A clan’s greatest warrior. An Englishwoman in disguise.
Can their love survive her secret?

The Scot

When his brother foists an English squire upon him, Alex Kerr is completely disinterested in training the lad—until he discovers that his new recruit is not a lad at all. “Alfred” is a beautiful Englishwoman in disguise, hiding a horrible secret. Determined to uncover the truth
ebook
Published November 14th 2017 by Altiora Press

To ask other readers questions about The Scot's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scot's Secret

Sissy's Romance Book Review
The Scot's Secret by Cecelia Mecca is book Four in the "Border Series". This is the story of Alex Kerr and Lady Clara “Alfred". I have read the previous book (and Loved it!) and Clara was pretending to be Alfred in that book working for Toren and helping him get with his lady love Juliette. But if you haven't read that book you can read this as a standalone book.
Clara along with Gilbert has been on the run for about six years after she father was murdered. Toren and Juliette discovered that Alf
Kristin Davison
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: launch-teams
I would like to thank the author Cecelia Mecca for a copy of this book in return for an honest opinion.

This is one of my new favourites in the series!

This is book 4 of the borders series, it can be read as a standalone or as part of the series.

It focuses on the English Clara who has been disguising herself as Alfred and Alex a member of Clan Kerr, who has a deep loathing for the English since his English mother abandoned him and his siblings at a young age.

The storyline ties up lots of diffe
Cecelia Mecca
Nov 09, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The Scot's Secret is coming on November 14, 2017 on Amazon and in Kindle Unlimited. It is the fourth book in the Border Series, a medieval romance series set along the 13th-century Anglo-Scottish border focusing on two families, Clan Kerr and the Waryn family to their south.

From Scotland to England, from enemies to friends, readers who adore alpha males and the strong heroines who keep them on their toes will love the Border Series.

An extended sneak peek is available here: https://goo.gl/YfPJRF
AnnMarie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Scot's Secret is the fourth book in the Border Series, by Cecelia Mecca. It can easily be read as a stand-alone story, but as we find out more about characters from previous books it's an added pleasure if you have read their stories previously.

Lady Clara, an English woman, saw her father brutally murdered and has been on the run for the 6 years since then. She's been living as a boy, a squire travelling between tournaments helping out as and when needed. Her father's armourer, Gilbert, has
Margaret Watkins
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When his brother foists English born Alfred onto him to train as his squire, Alex intuitively realises that something does not ring true. However, he chooses to accept the situation, but decides to keep his eyes open. Upon discovering the surprising truth, Alex’s eyes almost pop out of their sockets, leaving him floundering. Knowing that his squire is in fact a beautiful woman makes him wonder what secrets she is keeping and why she needs to effect her disguise. Alfred, who is in fact Clara, acc ...more
Debbie Glenn Brown
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An English woman, Lady Clara has been frightened for her life the past six years and has been living as “Alfred, “a squire who talks little and trusts no one. At a recent tournament she meets and learns to trust Lady Juliette and her husband Toren Kerr where she agrees to go to Clan Kerr become his brother, Alex Kerr’s squire. Alex is completely disinterested in training an English lad until he discovers he’s hiding a secret he’s not really a lad at all. Alex hates anything English ever since hi ...more
Petula
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Keeping her identity secret is a matter of life and death for Clara, that is why she is travelling as Alfred,a squire. She has been offered a place training with the men in a castle on the Scottish side of the border.
Alex Kerr works as the second to his brother training the men. He could be running his own keep, but the memories in that place are ones he doesn't want to face.
It doesn't take him long to discover the secret the new squire is hiding. However her real identity and the reason she i
Tam
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's no secret... this series is still going strong!

Alex is an honorable, brave and strong Scots warrior who has agreed to train his new squire Alfred. But, he gets much more than he bargained for. Because, Alfred is really a headstrong, independent and beautiful... woman! A woman who holds an even bigger secret than her identity.

The dynamic between these two characters is just wonderful and holds your interest. The plot has some nice surprises and moves at a quick pace. The chemistry that deve
djc-
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
Alex is forced to take on a squire named Alfred but knows something is not right with the boy. Alfred is really Clara masquerading as a boy to hide from her past. Alex discovers she is really a woman but decides to keep her secret till he learns why she is hiding. The connection between the two grows and Clare comes to trust Alex. She tells him her story and how she is in danger. Alex has come to care for Clara and will do anything to protect her.

If you love a medieval story that is action pack
Annette Drewett
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Alex and Clara’s story, they are such a special couple. The protectiveness that Alex has towards Clara, almost from the beginning, makes you want to just hug him. Both characters have things in their past that affect how they behave in public, but when they are alone, they can just be themselves. This was a powerful addition to the Border Series. Well done Cecelia, another success for you.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
Debra
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well written story with mystery, suspense, drama, humor and romance. This book has it all! I didn't want to put it down once I started reading. Strong characters and plot line. Alex's mother ran off and abandoned her children, leaving Alex not trusting women or the English. Clara disguises herself as a boy and is afraid for her life. They must both learn to trust. I was at the edge of my seat as I read about Alex and Clara and how they found the way to overcome their past in order to find love ...more
Christina
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Alex and Alfred/Clara's story. I can't imagine what it is like to live in fear the way she did. I was glad Alex did not give up on her and true love. It was crazy how Gilbert reappeared, I surely thought he was gone. This was a sweet and by turns steamy romance. Looking forward to reading more from this author. I voluntarily read this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Lorrie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything this author writes will draw you in and transport you to medieval times. I love her work and will read anything she releases, she has quickly become one of my favorite authors.

This story begins with Alex's brother, Torren who returns home from a tournament with a new squire. He assigns the lad to Alex for training. When Alex discovers that the small lad is, in fact, a woman he does everything in his power to find out her secret. He vows to protect her, but from what he doesn't know.

Al
Candy Briggs
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is so romantic and I am so glad that Clara found some sense of safety. Clara witnessed the murder of her father and Gilbert whisked her away. He taught her to take care of herself but he, also protected her. Alex Kerr is the second son of the Kerr Reviers. Who live on the Scottish side of the border.
This was a wonderful story. Toren Kerr is the oldest brother and met her at a tournament and asked her to come back with him. He knew she was a girl and not the squire she portrayed. The descripti
Patricia
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Scot on a mission to find the mother who abandoned him and his siblings. An English lady, disguised as a boy, on the run for her life. This story was just as good as the previous books of the series. Lots of action and intrigue. This is my honest review of the arc I received.
Raewynn
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is awesome! It completely answers the question of Alfred so, all good.

I have read all of the Border Series and....I LOVE THEM ALL.

If you like historical romance stories AND sexy Scots, then this is the series for you!

Terrific Cecelia Mecca
Kathleen Nichols
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 18+
***I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Readers Copy of this book***

I really enjoy this delightful series by Ms. Mecca! She paints a vivid picture of the Anglo-Scottish border and the troubles that plagued the region in the 13th century. Her characters are strong, handsome, and determined men and their equally beautiful and determined female counterparts. This book includes secrets, intrigue, disguises, lords, ladies, knights and their squires.

Lady Clara's life in disguise as a lad is a necessar
Aquamarine 1951
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“The Scot’s Secret” is another wonderfully written addition to Cecelia Mecca’s Border series. I wondered if we would find out more about “Alfred” the squire and the secret that kept “him” in hiding. I am so glad that the fourth book in The Border Series was “his” story. Rich in historical details and filled with romance and passion this is Alex Kerr’s and “Alfred”( Lady Clara’s) story. Alex is everything you want in a hero. He is an alpha male, who is protective, handsome, kind, stubborn, loving ...more
Lori
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! Not only amazing but heartwarming, intriguing, passionate. Just a few words to describe this book. Why would a woman disguise herself as a lad for many years? Dear reader, that is the question! To hide in plain sight, Lady Clara presented herself as Alfred, a lowly squire, who followed the jousting tournaments, aiding the knights. The last knight Clara squired for was Toren Kerr, who figured out she was female and realized she was terrified to be found out. So he and his new wife take ...more
Viper Spaulding
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful Border romance! This time we see Alex, who has sworn never to marry, take on young Alfred as his squire at his brother's request. Only young Alfred isn't quite who he - or shall we say, she - seems to be! Talk about your conflicting emotions!

Clara has good reason for the disguise, as she fears retribution for her father's loyalties. The author does a fantastic job of incorporating the English/Scottish political climate of the day into the storyline. Clara's determination to pr
Emily Pennington
Shelves: reviewed
This was a very clever story. The characters are well described and likable. The story line immediately will interest the reader.

Lady Clara, an Englishwoman, has been on the run for 6 years and her life is still in danger. To hide, she disguises herself as a young squire named Alfred and is taken to Alex Kerr in Scotland to be trained in an apprentice capacity. Alex recognizes that “he” is not squire material and is actually a “she”. Can he trust her? Why is she in hiding? Will he continue to a
Leslie OBrien
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been eagerly awaiting Cecelia Mecca’s THE SCOT’S SECRET when the author first hinted at it at the end of THE CHIEF’S MAIDEN. I love her Border series and this one was no exception. Clara and Alex are fantastic together. I love their chemistry. I also love the other characters and really enjoyed seeing them incorporated into this story making me feel as though I was visiting old friends. And we finally get an answer to a long-awaited question (squeals). All that said, Ms. Mecca creates a ric ...more
Elaine
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ms Mecca has outdone herself in the 4th of the Border Series medieval love stories. The Scot's Secret has everything that you hope for in a historical romance: adventure, intrigue, a great setting, history and lots of romance! Both Clara and Alex have deep secrets that threaten to tear them apart, but they cannot resist the strong attraction they feel. The Borderlands between Scotland and England make a great setting for a drama because it is constantly in a state of upheaval. A romance between ...more
Amy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a stand alone story with its own HEA. However, it is best if you read the books in order to get the most and to avoid spoilers.
I've been addicted to these stories from the get go. I can't seem to put them down and find myself dying for the next one. I love it when I find a new author (to me at least) and can binge read a complete series. I find myself in the sad situation of having to wait for Ms. Mecca to write the next one so I can get my fix. This latest in the series is no different.
Lail
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cecelia Mecca writes passionate historical tales of the history and lives of the English and Scottish border Lords and their challenges to forgive the past to keep the peace for their future. "The Scots Secret" is a fantastic excitingly sexy read I couldn't put down. Besides the tantalizing passion and romance, I love the witt and humor, especially Alex's answer when questioned about what he was doing and saw down at the lake! l laughed myself sick. Cecelia's gift of writing will make your top f ...more
Viveka
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a free arc of this book and decided to review!

I've read two of the other border series books, which I liked. Unfortunately I didn't like The scot's secret as much. I think it started with the name, I feel that it's pretty non descriptive, like, which scot (there's tons of them)? I also didn't feel like it grabbed my attention very well, and worst of all, there's pretty frequent use of the word 'okay', which I abhor in historical romances, and the word 'sexy' made an appearance as well
Christina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book follows the events of The Chief''s Maiden but can be read as a stand alone.
Clara or "Alfred" as she is known to most has hidden from the world as a boy for many years. She ends up at the home of Alex Kerr as his squire and he discovers her secret. Alex has sworn not to wed but during a trip into England to his in-laws his feelings for Clara grow if only she will give up running. As Clara realizes she loves Alex to she will not risk his life.
Once again Cecelia Mecca draws you in to Medi
Tammy
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alex receives an English squire from his brother that he doesn’t want until he learns that she is actually an Englishwoman hiding a secret. As they spend time together and their chemistry grows Lady Clara wants to tell Alex the truth but can she trust him and what will happen to the others she is protecting. This read draws you in from beginning to end. The story is fast-paced with lots of suspense and drama, I liked the characters and the story is entertaining. A good read.
Karen
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Toren Kerr and his new wife, Juliette, return home to Brockburg with "Alfred" in tow. Alfred is to train with Toren's brother, Alex. Alex is fighting issues of abandonment concerning his mother. Slowly "Alfred's" story starts to unfold. I admired "Alfred's" mettle. I've read most of the stories in the Border Series, but this was my favorite so far. I read an ARC of this story and chose to leave a review.
Ann (Fanni Ann)
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Fourth in the Border series, this one will draw you in from page one just like the others in the series, there's a lot going on, lies and secrets just two of them.
Clara is hiding and is taken in for safe keeping in disguise as a squire by Alex's kin.
The characters Alex and Clara/Alfred are well developed and likeable. Can love find them, and can Clara stay safe, or will all be lost. If you want to find out then get this book.
Cecelia is the author of medieval romance.

A former English teacher, Cecelia combines two of her passions, romance novels and the middle ages, in debut novel The Thief’s Countess. Combining alpha male types and strong female heroines, Cecelia transports readers to an admittedly romanticized time of knights and castles.

After reading Johanna Lindsey and Judith McNaught, she started a manuscript twen
More about Cecelia Mecca...

Border (4 books)
  • The Thief's Countess (Border, #1)
  • The Lord's Captive  (Border, #2)
  • The Chief's Maiden (Border, #3)
“She was not only a female, but a damned beautiful one. A gentleman would have turned away the moment he realized what was happening.

~Alex Kerr”