Start by marking “The Best American Mystery Stories 2002” as Want to Read:
The Best American Mystery Stories 2002

The Best American Mystery Stories 2002

(The Best American Mystery Stories)

Since its inception in 1915, the Best American series has become the premier annual showcase for the country's finest short fiction and nonfiction. For each volume, a series editor reads pieces from hundreds of periodicals, then selects between fifty and a hundred outstanding works. That selection is pared down to the twenty or so very best pieces by a guest editor who is ...more
Audio CD, 1 page
Published October 15th 2002 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Mystery Stories 2002, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Mystery Stories 2002

Start your review of The Best American Mystery Stories 2002
Jules Lewis
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This compilation dates back to 2002 and I picked it up because it was edited by one of my favourite authors, James Ellroy, and contained a story by another of my favourite authors, Michael Connelly, he of Harry Bosch fame. However, it was a few other stories that really stood out for me.

The first was A Family Game, by Brendan Dubois, which really worked as a short story and had a neat pay-off. According to the endnotes, Dubois has done most of his fiction writing in short stories and it really s
Susan
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought only 4 of these stories were worth reading.
Koen
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Read only the stories liked in the other reviews, plus one -the first.)

"It is Raining in Bejucal" (2.5 stars); "Two-bagger" (3); "A Family Game" (3.5); "Inscrutable" (4)*; "Maniac Loose" (3.5); "The Highschool Sweetheart" (2 - saw that one coming); "Harlem Nocturne" (2 - irritatingly politically hip; should have been written well over half a century ago); "Midnight Emissions" (3.5)°

*' "Why is sex like insurance?" asked Rosenkrantz.
"The older you are, the more it costs," said Guildenstern.
("R
Becca
Jun 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, but not great. I expected more from a book that featured mystery stories by such a diverse group of authors as Stephan King and Joyce Carol Oates. But I found that rather then push the author's limits to write in a new genre, the definition of "mystery" was expanded to include any story that was even remotely about a crime. It's difficult to write really good short mysteries, and many of these stories succeeded remarkably (I loved Bet on Red) but most of the works just weren't mysteries ...more
Judy
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spending as much time in hospitals as I have been lately, you have hours and hours to read. Short stories are perfect for hospital reading because you don't lose your train of thought with the constant interruptions of doctors and nurses. This collection of short stories really grabbed my attention. Some of my favorite authors were included in the anthology and I was introduced to some new writers. Some of the stories definitely stood out for me. Brendan DuBois wrote "A Family Game" in which a b ...more
Andre
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Come December, I head for Vrooman's and look for the latest installment in the series. Every year's collection is put together by publisher Otto Penzler and new guest editor (James Ellroy, one of my favorites, in this case). Some years are better than others, but none are dogs. These are great books to bring along while traveling — because they're easier to put down.
Hidayat Karim
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great collection! "Lean, mean and to the point" and "a change of pace" as Michael Connelly said in the introduction of the 2003 book of the same title which I've started to read.

Most notable for me in the 2002 collection are "A Family Game" and "Inscrutable" with their twists in the stories.
Mick Parsons
It's a hit and a miss; the introduction by James Ellroy is interesting, and I like his brief discussion of the difference between a short story and a novel. But the collection itself smacks of the literary snobbery that permeates ALL of The Best American Series.
Sheila Myers
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
As I've said about other short story collections I've read, it's hard to rate books of this type. Most of the stories had great plots and characters while others fell a little flat. I still think it's a very book for people who enjoy mysteries.
Darcy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some I liked, some I didn’t. But that’s normal I think, when you’re dealing with collections. But worth reading.
Dawn
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought there were more OK and just plain not good stories in this collection. I normally like reading these mystery short story collections, but this time was an exception.
Atef Attia
Le principe de cette collection "Moisson Noire'' c'est que chaque année, un auteur reconnu du polar choisit ce qu'il considère comme les meilleures nouvelles du genre pour un même recueil. Si c'est le cas, j'ai été doublement déçu par le choix de James Ellroy, ces nouvelles étant terriblement inégales allant du juste bien au vraiment nul. J'en retiens quelques unes spécialement celle de Michael Connelly, toujours aussi efficace et celle de FX Tool, un vrai noir comme on les aime. Sinon le reste ...more
Maura
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
this was abridged, so there were only 8 (I think) stories on the 4 tapes; the book itself probably has 20 or so. still, they were good driving material. Only one of them made me laugh out loud inappropriately -- the reader needed some serious help.

"Blah blah blah blah," [PAUSE:] he said.
"Blah blah blah blah," [PAUSE:] he said.

repeat FAR too many times and you'll get the idea. :)
Drew
The Best American Mystery Stories 2002 (Best American) (2002)
Bryan
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
I read about half the stories before I had to return it to the library. I enjoyed the ones I had a chance to read.
J.C.
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
like always some good stories some not so... lots of boxing stories for some reason.
Levi
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories were okay, but the overall book could not keep me occupied. So much so that I lost the book and now have no idea where it is. So yeah, not the best read.
Ricklin
Apr 26, 2020
Sherrie Saint
Apr 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Deep in the Alaskan Woods (Alaska Wild #1)
  • The Dante Club (The Dante Club #1)
  • Nowhere to Hide (Nowhere, #2)
  • The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America
  • Plum Island (John Corey, #1)
  • Crime Beat: A Decade of Covering Cops and Killers
  • In the Company of Sherlock Holmes: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon
  • Switchblade (Harry Bosch, #16.5; Harry Bosch Universe, #25.5)
  • Faceoff
  • In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper
  • Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories (Harry Bosch, #14.6; Harry Bosch Universe, #21.1)
  • Angle of Investigation (Harry Bosch, #14.7; Harry Bosch Universe, #22.2)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2018
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance
  • Hook, Line & Sinister: Mysteries to Reel You In
  • The Safe Man: A Ghost Story
  • The Highway Kind
  • Raid And The Blackest Sheep
James Ellroy was born in Los Angeles in 1948. His L.A. Quartet novels—The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz—were international best sellers. His novel American Tabloid was Time magazine’s Best Book (fiction) of 1995; his memoir, My Dark Places, was a Time Best Book of the Year and a New York Times Notable Book for 1996. His novel The Cold Six Thousand was a New York ...more

The Best American Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 1997