Start by marking “Inspired” as Want to Read:
Inspired

Inspired

(The Firefly Tribe #1)

Meet Rocket Malone: a smart, sensitive teen whose life, friends, family and body keep changing with every breath she draws, until it’s hard for her to breathe at all. As if life weren’t complicated enough, she discovers that her mysterious Aunt Polly is actually Polyhymnia, a Greek Muse who desperately needs Rocket’s help to protect Earth from Zeus and an angry nymph named ...more
Published February 3rd 2018 by Inner Flower Child Books

To ask other readers questions about Inspired, please sign up.
Susan Schaefer Bernardo It is primarily directed at tween/middleschool girls. The MC is 14. But I think mature middle grade readers would be able to handle it. It does…moreIt is primarily directed at tween/middleschool girls. The MC is 14. But I think mature middle grade readers would be able to handle it. It does address topics such as loss (the father committed suicide when the MC was a small child, and she is still grappling with that loss), plus menarche scenes, and a bit of bullying - and it includes the F-word exactly once when a mother is particularly stressed out by a tragedy....but I had several 5th grade girls be early reviewers for the book and they loved it. xoxo(less)

Sepani
I received this copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I found that the book was little boring and to tell you the truth, it’s not the authors' fault. This book is mainly targeted to middle school girls so I felt that I’m little old for this.

But the story line and creativity is good.
Yesha
*** Note: I received ARC via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to publishers and NetGalley. ***

That blurb says all about the book. It’s Middle grade Fantasy focuses on 14 old Rocket and on Greek Muses. Book is about self-confidence, believing in your own ability, friendship, growing up, to get inspired and spread inspiration, and how creativity is very important in everyone’s life (that is the basically job of all 9 Muses).

Characters-
Rocket– this 14 year old heroine was sm
Gemma
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, loved the storyline! Plot threads were neatly woven and pulled together perfectly, Rocket was well written, interesting use of mythology, loved that it was dependant on what culture you are, that each person would see their own version rather than assuming everyone was the same. Would love to read more :)
Megan
This story is definitely meant for a younger audience, middle school perhaps, but I found it to be fun and a cute read. It kept me interested throughout, though I pretty much knew what was going to happen from the beginning.

The main character's name is Rocket (yes, that's her real given name) and she finds out she descended from Muses so it required to train as an apprentice Muse for seven years. I enjoyed watching her learn about her special power/skill, but I thought she took to it a little to
Jenni McGee
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was great for kids. It teaches you quite a bit about Greek mythology while 'inspiring' the youth of today to find beauty in themselves. My one criticism is the fact the attempt to complete CPR was done incorrectly. We haven't done blind finger sweeps in several years.
Fanna
This book was pretty good for its intended audience. Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m usually an advocate for demographic not deciding what a reader would or wouldn’t like but in some cases, I do feel that a younger me would’ve enjoyed this all the more.

The story revolves around Rocket (I loved that name) who’s a fourteen-year-old girl surviving middle school. While the main theme revolves around a coming-of-age story, it takes huge turns when Greek mythology is added to the story line. While the
Carmen
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then a book comes along that hits a note that speaks far beyond the story on the page, and this is it! I'm enamored by this magical story of sculpture that comes to life, worlds within worlds, Greek mythology, and people who observe much more than just body language. I'm nearly 50, so I'm not the intended audience, but I loved this story from the perspective of a story well told, and also as an empowering example of women helping women to grow, thrive, and embrace our uniqueness. M ...more
Nicholas Siebers
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a charming story aimed at a YA audience but enjoyable for readers of all ages who enjoy teen drama mixed with magic and mythology. The protagonist‘s life feels very real, with relatable challenges; then the magic kicks in! Sprinkled with literary figures and loaded with Greek mythology, the fantastical interludes provide solace and coping mechanisms for the real-life drama. It is a very promising debut novel. Highly recommended.
CrazyCat (Alex)
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say, I love this book. I haven't read a book about a muse before and this made it extra special. What I love most about this book are the wonderful stories about the Greek gods and goddesses and of course the special appearances of some of the greatest writers and thinkers. Everything is woven amazingly into a story everybody should read. Highly recommended. I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thanks to NetGalley and Inner ...more
Charlotte
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't think the cover really goes with the story, but that's about the only negative thing I can think of. I like the original name "Rocket" being a female. I like this whole book is a journey in her believing in herself. The new use of the old Gods is great. This is a great book for any age group. The is just a well told story with a free flowing storyline.
S White
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

Answering the questions that life throws at us is a daunting task!
But here in these words, maybe just maybe, we can take solise that there are people who try to help us find our own answers.
I hope that you will enjoy this as much as I did.
Kat
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, teen-card
#netgalley #Inspired
Great book for the middle grade and young adults. I love the message that the book conveys about believing in yourself. It is going to be a series. I think that it has alot of appeal for many ages.
Dawn Williams
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic new twist.

Oh joy a classic new twist to an old take of the Greek gods and goddesses. A delight to read and explore A delightful tale for young readers and old alike to explore Greek mythology. A great new adventure to take in.
LightMist2675
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read Inspired and love it! Rocket is a very relatable character and a positive role model for teenagers and young adults. Inspired is such a captivating story that immaculately pairs Greek mythology with modern adolescent life, and demonstrates the importance of using creativity to inspire others and oneself. I would definitely recommend this book to middle and high school aged girls.
books are love
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
When the book begins Rocket is unpacking and trying to deal with moving from the only home she ever known into the new stepdad’s runky trippy house. She is scared and alone feeling like her world is upside down. She deals with this by being sarcastic. While this is happening, something odd occurs. She gets a disc mirror that has her see into a strange place. Than her friend has begun to change and her world is crumbling.

The only way Rocket knows to protect herself is to shutdown and be sarcastic
Sarah Z
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1st-reads
I received an advanced copy of this via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Normally I enjoy reading books geared towards people of younger ages, teen, and YA but this was admittedly, a bit young even for me. Don't get me wrong, it was packed with really interesting information, fun facts, tips on how to be more environmentally friendly, and cheesy anecdotes, but it just didn't all seem to come together properly.
It's a coming of age tale of young Rocket who is 14 years old. She seems to g
Bobbie Stanley
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
 When I first started with this book, I wasn't totally sure how I was going to feel about it.  Middle school aged characters always sort of seem to exist in a sort of limbo for me because it can be difficult to balance how they realistically ought to be behaving with a story that is interesting enough to maintain the reader's interest.  In this case, though, I'd say that the book was a great success!  Admittedly, the mom in me balks at the idea of middle school students having boyfriends, but it ...more
Kati
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this a quick and sweet middle grade read featuring Rocket - a 14yo girl and Greek Mythology.  The story is told in the first person from the perspective of Rocket - her voice through the novel was entertaining and I could engage with her even as an adult reader. I do still believe that a younger audience will have no problem engaging with the characters and the plot of this book. There are underlying themes of confidence in one self,  and friendship.I found the plot entertaining and woul ...more
Jessica
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Good middle school fantasy piece
M.
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-reads
Good YA story.
Davianna
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, blog-tour
The setting and world building were excellent, I loved Mount Helikon and Miss Susan’s descriptions made it come to life beautifully! My only complaint would be slow pacing, that’s literally all. I loved the originality, characters, and settings. The ending was wrapped up nicely and I was pretty satifsied. I hope there’ll be more in this series!

Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Recommendation: Fans of Greek mythology ages 14 and up

FTC DISCLAIMER: I received this book in exchange for an honest review
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was provided to me via Netgalley.

If you're looking for a book that's a fun, quick read that will leave you smiling, look no further. Personally, I love Greek mythology, so it was pretty much a given that I would like this one a lot. The writing is good, the story is fun to read and there are some quite thought-provoking lines in the book that I loved.

I only have one small criticism: The little hint of romance that was added towards the end seemed forced to me. This book would've been j
Megan
Rachel
Feb 16, 2019
meandthebooks
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is full of Greek magic and mythology that is perfectly illustrated. Filled with beautiful prose when and statues that appear enrich insight. Rocket's character is described as very strong and tenacious even though she doesn't know the future direction. Families that are quite turbulent, mothers remarry and father commit suicide. When mom says she's pregnant again, Rocket isn't happy.
I will not tell much but the plot in this story was built fresh and fast. I can feel like that is human
Kerry Messer
Feb 26, 2019
Vernell Schutte
Feb 16, 2019
  • Better with You (A Change in Plans #2)
  • Covetousness  (Havenwood Falls #4)
  • Johnny Swanson
  • Winter's End
  • Seelenangst (Clara Vidalis, #2)
  • Archie of Outlandish: The Man Who Lives Under Umbrellas
  • Perdition (A Nell McGraw Investigation, #2)
  • TruthStone (Truthseer Archives, #1)
  • Dangerous to Know (Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist, #2)
  • Me & Jack
  • Last Light (Detective Lucy Harwin #3)
  • Stenhjärtat
  • Worth the Wait (Waltham Academy, #1)
  • Breathe In
  • Picture Perfect Love: A June Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #7)
  • Ember: The Revelations of Oriceran (The Fairhaven Chronicles, #3)
  • A Soldier's Valentine (Maple Springs #2)
  • Touched by Death: Part 1 of 2