Start by marking “Waiting for His Return” as Want to Read:

Published November 7th 2017 by Flowing Stream Books

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for His Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting for His Return

Hannah
I really loved this novella, set in the Civil War era. The romance between the two isn’t all surface, which I loved, and they act like adults. :) I don’t often give novellas five stars, so it’s a great to have read two today that deserve all five. Despite being short, this is paced well and feels complete.
Andrea Cox
A charming story with great heart, this was the first Civil War-era story I've completely adored. It might not be my favorite era to read about, but Ms. Turansky is one of my favorite storytellers to read a story from. Everything of hers that I've read so far has been amazing, and this one is no different. Her caring heart shines so brightly within this book.

I was not compensated for my honest review.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“The daughter of a wealthy Tennessee doctor falls in love with an injured artist-correspondent on assignment to cover battles near Union occupied Nashville.
The year is 1864 and the Civil War continues to impact families in the North and South. British born James Galloway, a special artist for Harper’s Weekly, travels with the Union troops, sketching battle scenes to bring war news home to those in the North. It’s dangerous work, but he is committed to the Union cause. When he is
Paula Shreckhise
Waiting For His Return by Carrie Turansky is a novella set in 1864.

Travel back to 1864 Nashville and Springside Plantation very close to the fighting. Ms. Turansky brings the story to life with her carefully chosen words. She shows the character’s faith and their wishes to please God.
A little different than most Civil War novellas, this captures the war from the perspective of a doctor and his two daughter, Rachel and Susan. They find a wounded journalist, James, who just wants to heal and get
Brittany
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Waiting for His Return was a very enjoyable novella. The characters were nicely developed and the story moved along smoothly. I felt like I got the chance to know both main characters well and hoped for things to work out for them.

Tensions were high during this pivotal time in our nation’s history and it was interesting to learn about James Galloway’s profession and the way it put him in danger. The romance developed gently throughout this sweet story, with some ups and downs along the way.

(4.5
Carrie Turansky
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am excited to bring you this heartwarming holiday novella set during the Civil War. I loved learning about special Artists, men who traveled with the troops and made drawings of camp life and battle scenes that were sent back to be turned into etchings and published in illustrated newspapers. I took many of James Galloway's experiences from those of an actual special artist, Alfred Waud, who worked for Harper's Weekly newspaper. His loyalty to the Union and his dedication to the troops were ve ...more
Susan
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet Christmas novella! This story takes place near the end of the Civil War. Rachel Thornton has already lost one young man she cared for early in the war. Now, James Galloway, a young artist reporting for the Union seeks medical attention after an attack leaves him wounded near her home in Union occupied Nashville. Will Rachel's fear of losing another loved one prevent her from trusting another? Can James overcome the horrors he has seen in the war, to learn to trust that God will take care o ...more
Amy
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Waiting for His Return is a beautifully written Civil War era novella. I loved how Carrie Turansky wrote the love story between two people who were on two different sides of the war. The turmoil and struggles of the people of the time shows through in the book. I hope Miss Turansky writes more in this era in the future since it is my favorite time period in history.
I give this story a well deserved 5 plus stars.
I received this book from the author, but was not required to write a review. This r
Kristin
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This story was an enjoyable quick read despite a few complaints. Waiting for His Return is a short story set in Nashville and takes place near the end of the Civil War.  When I had the opportunity to read this book, I was so excited. This author puts out well-written novels and I always enjoy a good historical romance.

While this book has very solid writing, I feel that like a lot of other novellas, it relied heavily on a traumatic event and instant love to propel the story forward.

I read James G
Rebecca
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

"You have character, warmth, and intelligence my dear, and those qualities are more valuable than a full figure and a round face."

Rachel Thornton has not imagined herself to fancy a gentleman since her first love Andrew Tillman was killed in an early Civil War battle. Accustomed to assisting her father in his Nashville, Tennessee medical practice, she is surprised at the attraction that springs forth towards an injured man who is brought to their doorstep for treatment.

James Galloway was wo
Sydney
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and fun sweet story. Full review coming soon...
Deana Dick
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful Christmas novella the author has written. I loved the rich history she shared about the Civil War. Being out on the battlefield was hard and many lifes were lost. I could see the beautiful town of Nashville as she described the place where the lovely Rachel and her family resided at. It is hard not to like Rachel with her tenderness and compassion for others. I very much enjoyed the interactions between her and her sister . I did have to laugh a bit at Susan. She is a bit younge ...more
Rebecca Tellez
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pour yourself a cup of tea, or coffee, and curl up in your favorite chair for a delightful visit to Springside Plantation, the home of Dr. Thornton and his daughters Rachel and Susan. The setting is 1864 as the Civil War inches closer to Nashville.

During one stormy night, Rachel and Susan are startled by a shot exploding outside their home. Left along while their father is in town attending to the wounded, the sisters are wondering if a bushwhacker or a member of the Confederacy had attacked th
Ruth
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I prefer novels where I can let go and forget everything for a time, deeply delving into the lives of the characters and the details of a story, sometimes a novella fits the bill for my busy schedule. When I first heard of Carrie Turansky's newest story set during the Civil War, I just had to pick it up and read it.

Rachel lives in, so far unscathed, Nashville. Life seems to be rolling along at a steady but peaceful pace when shots ring out, just outside the front door. With the help of her
Loraine
Turansky always does a wonderful job of making her novellas feel complete. This one is set during the Civil War. James Galloway is a northerner and an illustrator who works for Harper's Weekly. He is traveling with the Union Troops illustrating the war battles. Rachel Thornton is a kind-hearted doctor's daughter who takes James in when he is beaten in front of her southern home. The story follows their slowly developing romance as she cares for him. Charming yet realistic with the background of ...more
Virginia
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! I love Civil War period novels. Favorite Era to read about. This was a short and sweet read and I only wish it was longer. lol. Enjoyed reading it and I highly recommend this novella. Full review to come. :)
Renee Martin
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Carrie Turansky knows exactly how to make me fall in love with her characters.
Melissa Henderson
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written story of love during the Civil War. From the sound of the horses galloping to the scents of Christmas, the author brings to life a love story that touches the heart. I enjoyed this one very much. I received a copy of this book from the author and this is my personal honest opinion.
Sydney Elaine
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you're looking for a novella purely based on romance, then this is for you. I know that there are some that would enjoy this, but this was just not my cup of tea.

I think I would have preferred reading this in a full-sized book. It gave me this insta-love vibe that I wasn't really feeling.
Wilani Wahl
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can't put down must read. Romance, history, Inspirational, well written and all tied up in such a delightful Christmas story.
Rachael
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet romantic novella set during the Civil War is a great read for those who love short stories. I chose to read this as I’ve been a bit busy and haven’t been able to read some recent releases as I’m a bit behind. This story fit the need for my time constraints. I enjoyed the simple, short story.

If you enjoy a short sweet romantic read with a historical setting,this is your book. It even has a joyous Christmas scene!

I received this book from the author. All opinions are my own.
Angie Thompson
I'm a bit conflicted on this one. I was enjoying the quiet, understated romance pretty well up to about the three-quarter mark, and then all of a sudden, we're hit with all sorts of attitudes and obstacles that seemed to show up completely out of the blue, which really knocked me for a loop.

Also, everything happened so fast! I didn't mind the fast attraction terribly, but the entire story only spans about two months. Maybe this wouldn't have been a big deal if not for the setting and the fact th
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Carrie Turansky

It's 1864 and the War Between the States has taken a toll on the divided nation. In Tennessee, the Thornton family though aligned with the North extends their care to all wounded regardless of their uniform. When escaped prisoner of war James Galloway is attacked near the Thornton home, Rachel Thornton acts quickly to help save his life. Helping her father nurse James back to health leads to unexpected feelings.

But James Galloway is a war artist for Harpe
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
Full review at: www.joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com

From the first chapter till the last, I found myself welcomed into the warm embrace of the Thornton residence just outside of Nashville, TN. While the weather outside was cold and dreary, the fire was warm and the company inviting.

This sweet novella is a heartwarming story of love and a tender reminder that if we but take our burdens to the Lord, He will carry us through the darkest days. A perfect story to enjoy snuggled in your living room enjo
E. Espinoza
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Waiting for His Return, by Carrie Turansky, is an entertaining historical fiction novella set during the uncertain times of the American Civil War. For the reader who enjoys the opportunity to savor a satisfying story in one sitting, this novella is a wonderful choice. Though the length may be short, the story abounds with well-developed characters and an engaging plot brimming with warmth and heart. This novella includes a well-crafted combination of history, romance, intrigue, faith, and even ...more
Mae Luberas
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet ❣👍🏻 ...more
Christine
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I keep getting novellas from favorite authors but I always wind up disappointed. Character development and world building are my favorites and you just don't get that in short stories. nice, but not amazing
Karen Matlack
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story of live

I enjoy all of Carrie Turansky’s books, so I knew I’d live this one. The setting in the south (Nashville) and the time period (The Civil War) we’re new and exciting for me. As always, her characters have such depth and are easy to relate. A quick read. I wish for more!
Beth
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a person who doesn’t know much about the Civil War or really doesn’t want to know more. Than this would be a good book for you to read. The Civil War is just a backdrop without getting into all the battles and stuff. Then for someone like myself who is a Civil War buff you will find a great little book but left with wanting more.
Abbi
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn't love this one but it was a cute historical Christmas story!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Sandy's Seashell Shop Christmas
  • Saving Jackie K
  • Heartbreak Trail (Circle C Milestones #2)
  • Christmas by the Sea (Surf's Up)
  • Christmas at Carnton (Carnton, #0.5)
  • A Family for Thanksgiving (After the Storm, #5)
  • Found: God's Peace: Experience True Freedom from Anxiety in Every Circumstance
  • A Lamp for My Feet
  • Crimson Cipher
  • Safe Haven (Peacemakers #3)
  • What Once Was Lost
  • The Doctor's Family (Rocky Mountain Heirs, #3)
  • We Had A Job To Do: World War II Through The Eyes of Those Who Served
  • Courting Carrie in Wonderland
  • Too Deep for Words (Shenandoah Valley Saga #2)
  • The Legacy (Secrets of the Shetlands #3)
  • While America Sleeps: A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era
  • Livvie's Song (River of Hope, #1)
Bestselling Inspirational Romance Author Carrie Turansky writes historical and contemporary novels and novellas set in England and the US. She has won the ACFW Carol Award, the Holt Medallion, and the International Digital Award. Readers say her stories are: "Heartwarming and inspiring! I couldn't put it down!" . . . "Touching love story. It captured me from the first page! Rich characters, beauti ...more