Start by marking “The Moomins: The World of Moominvalley” as Want to Read:
The Moomins: The World of Moominvalley

The Moomins: The World of Moominvalley

A showstopping luxury gift book to cherish for years to come, The Moomins: The World of Moominvalley is the ultimate guide for any Moomin fan, old and new.

Step into the magical world of Moominvalley with this beautiful one of a kind book; a fun, fascinating, behind the scenes look at the wonderful world of the Moomins and their creator, Tove Jansson.

Filled with illustrated
Published December 1st 2017 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Moomins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moomins

Start your review of The Moomins: The World of Moominvalley
Lisa
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for anyone who grew up with the Moomins and Tove Jansson's unique way of describing characters in all their peculiar lovabilities. Portraits of the entire cast of the Moominvalley are accompanied by the typical art, and an essay on Tove Jansson herself.

If you don't know the Moomins yet, this book will inspire you to make their acquaintance!
Paula Bardell-Hedley
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Moominlovers everywhere!
Shelves: childrens
“This is the way to start a new life, with a hurricane lamp shining at the top of the mast, and the coastline disappearing behind one as the whole world lies sleeping.”
I’m a great believer that if one’s year begins with a Moomin, thereafter the mind will be composed and the reading diverse and balanced. I’m no philosopher, of course, and you would be unlikely to find such notional theories in the writings of Sartre or even Edward Westermarck, so it may be wise to take my advice with a swig of
Emily
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a gorgeously produced book which is a delight to page through. I was less taken with the text which was mostly a catalog of characters, places, and events -- I would far rather simply reread the books themselves. A section at the end about Tove Jansson's art and life, and the history of the moomins was a lot more interesting, and reproduces some of Jansson's juvenile art which was fun to see. The whole thing is written in somewhat simplistic style that sometimes made me unsure who the ...more
Maria Johansen
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Livet i Mumidalen er en gennemgang af hele mumi-universet lige fra de karakterer, der optræder, den mad, de spiser og det sprog, de taler til årets gang, særlige højtider og de katastrofer, der indtræffer. Bogen tilbyder grundige, oplysende portrætter af alle Mumidalens karakterer uanset hvor lille en rolle, de måtte spille, og det er tydeligt, at alle mumihistorierne er blevet gennemgransket for at finde frem til hver eneste lille detalje om de mange væsener. Portrætterne kan selvfølgelig læses ...more
Piret Tamm
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IMELINE raamat!
Väga kaunis, omajagu informatiivne; paljusid mõnusaid tegelasi, hetki ja muidugi Tove Janssonit meenutav.
Loed ja lappad ning hinges heliseb ja südames hakkab nii soe ja pisut kripeldav tunne nagu oleks seal peidus üks väike My. Ja kogu maailm oleks kui mähitud värske kohvi ja pannkoogilõhna, tunned kui oleks näpud pisut keldrist pärit Muumimammamoosised ning kuuled kuidas laine lohistab end laisalt vastu päikeserammestuses rannakivi kui uneaeglane hüljes.
See on üks imehää ja
BlurryBug
I adored this, but that didn't surprise me as the Moomins were a huge part of my childhood and I still enjoy their antics and stories to this day.

I likes that this book explains the different creatures you meet in the valley, the valley itself and events that happens there.I enjoyed that this book also gives attention to Tove Jansson's life, who she was as a person and a family member.

There is some spoilers in this for the main 8 Moomin books so if you dont know the stories you might not want
Miss Bookiverse
This Moomin compendium is absolutely gorgeous. The layout is so well done, with tons of original illustrations and photographs presented in a beautiful color scheme. Without even reading the text I would’ve rated this 5 stars on looks alone. But then I would’ve missed out on really nicely compiled information on the Moomins taken from the 8 original books, ranging from character introductions to the seasons in Moominvalley. My favorite part was the one about Tove Jansson and a closer look behind ...more
Nina
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A stunning embossed cover with gold foil. And full to the brim with Tove Jansson beautiful Moomin artwork and Moomin philosophy! A must have for Moomin fans.
We see how each species encapsulates a character type and where she got her inspiration for the Moomins and friends. For instance, her partner Tooti was the inspiration for Too-Ticky.
The last section looks at Tove's life, growing up in an artistic family, living during times of war, setting up as an artist and also eventually being able to
Hanna Douaud
Ihanan koskettava
PJC
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have loved the Moomins since the first time I saw them, so I couldn't help but enjoy the book. I especially liked the details about Tove Jannson in the later chapters.
Alice Lawrence
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated book that not only lets you explore the magical world of the Moomins and Moominvalley but also the wonders of Tove Jansson and her incredible talent!
Karen
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Utterly delightful, a beautiful book.
Bryan
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable. Anyone who is a fan of the moomins will love it :)
Katrine Engelhardt  Thomsen
A great addition to the library of any Moomin fan. I thought I knew everything about the Moomin Valley and its surrounding universe, but I caught a few things that I had wondered about and finally found some answers to. Best of all is the easy to read biographic chapter where readers of all ages can get a sense of the life of the wonderous woman behind it all. It is a great book for new readers to start from and old readers to nerd through again and again.
Marija
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a lovely book! With all of the small moomin illustrations and facts it makes for a great evening book with a tea.. Read in in one afternoon as I was captured by Toves wild imagination.. Thank you for a great book! Love it.
Marie
Apr 16, 2019
Aet
Jan 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Da julen kom til Mumidalen
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 1
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Pärlfarmen
  • Den Sidste Gode Mand
  • Et liv på kanten
  • Vecka 36
  • Søvnen og Døden (Niels Bentzon, #2)
  • Alt godt fra Havana
  • Hej far kære Emil
Over six-and-a-half feet tall, with a bushy beard,Philip Ardagh is not only very big but also very hairy. He is the author of the Eddie Dickens Trilogy and when not writing silly books, Mr. Ardagh is quite serious and frowns a great deal. He lives in a seaside town somewhere in England with his wife and their son, Fred.