Start by marking “The Endsister” as Want to Read:
The Endsister

The Endsister

'I know what an endsister is,' says Sibbi again.
We are endsisters, Else thinks, Sibbi and I.
Bookends, oldest and youngest, with the three boys sandwiched in between.

Meet the Outhwaite children. There's teenage Else, the violinist who abandons her violin. There's nature-loving Clancy. There's the inseparable twins, Oscar-and-Finn, Finn-and-Oscar. And then there is Sibbi, t
Published February 1st 2018 by A&U Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Endsister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Endsister

Start your review of The Endsister
Allison Rushby
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved this. Not sure how Penni Russon managed to cram just about everything I adore into the one book, but I'm very glad she did! I have to admit I started to get a little worried three quarters of the way through that things were getting a bit bleak for my newfound friends, but it made for an even sweeter ending, so I needn't have been worried at all.
Trisha
That was entirely and completely charming and lovely. A strong family story with a ghostly mystery.
Lauredhel
Well this was amazing!

A large Australian rural family is uprooted when they inherit an old house in London. The setup for the ghost story sounds cliche, but this story is fresh and I found it astonishingly affecting (I was weeping by page 170, which rarely happens). The story is told in multiple points of view - most of the children, plus at least one of the adults - but manages to feel coherent nonetheless. Russon's insight into the emotional life of young children is amazing and I will be reme
LauraW
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
My preferences are frequently character-driven and that is why this book gets a fairly high rating from me - I found the characters interesting. I am not so much interested in the ghostly elements and, in fact, found the two ghosts rather confusing at times. But the family was definitely interesting. If there is a sequel, I would read it.
Ruth
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written book which is ideal for higher middle grade. I read it before considering it for my 11 year old son, however I think the supernatural concepts wouldn't appeal to him.
Dimity Powell
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Words flow like silken cream from Russon's pen in this captivating tale of ghosts, family disintegration and returning to ones roots. Told in alternating points of view from each family member and a couple of resident ghosts, this story pulls readers from the gumtree-clad hills of Australia to the history-rich, leafy suburbs of inner London with mysterious charm and grace.

Instead of flourishing in their new home, the Outhwaite family each experience subtle emotional and physical corruption after
Emma
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Australian children Sibbi, Else, and, slightly less-so, Clancy are well-written and intriguing characters. The author Penni Russon explores the emotional and physical turmoil of moving to the other side of the world. Being a New Zealander myself, the strange Commonwealth link between Britain and various ex-colonial nations has always interested me the way car crashes seem to fascinate other people.
We in the Antipodes know England, and especially London, so well before we ever step foot ther
Sue
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel is utterly charming, and equally unnerving. Penni Russon's writing is deft, with a light touch. That is not to say it it lightweight, rather it is lyrical and beautiful to read. In the very first paragraph, where we meet four-year-old Sibbi, this lilt of language is to the fore:
Shadows of gum trees grow long across the paddocks. Light is low and syrupy. The light of time shifting: day into evening, summer into autumn.

The reader is immediately transported; they can picture the golden,
Jodie Warner
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-ya-books
Stunning book by Penni Russon about family, belonging, memory and connection to place and time. Her writing is breathtaking and I cannot believe how accurately she has captured the chaotic and confusing world of a 4yo! Sibbi could be my Ellie. The paranormal aspect is present and I would have loved a bit more about this- who are Hardly Alice and Almost Annie really? I wasn’t sure about the authenticity of Bridget Lane- she seemed a bit more of a caricature however, I actually feel like this is a ...more
Shallowreader VaVeros
It has been a while since I have felt the need to proselytise over a book. Penni Russon's The Endsister is absolutely wonderful! Big families, Australian landscape, London houses, ghosts and just a sense of knowing your place in the world. Children's fiction at its best. 😍💗
Barbs
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely book for ages 8-14 . Penni's writing style is refreshingly lovely and it's more about belonging than ghosts really.
Adam Byatt
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
As an adult you think you have it all figured out about where you belong. Then, reading a YA book about belonging, home and identity, you realise children have a better idea than you do.
Penni's YA novel straddles the two worlds of the Australian bush and suburban London and helps point the compass for where home is, and wants to be. Shifting between perspectives of teenage Else, 4-year old Sibbi, adolescent Clancy and the mysterious Almost Annie and Hardly Alice it weaves a tapestry of how diff
Kathleen Dixon
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
This is the story of a family uprooted to England so we have their Australian impressions of the other side of world all mixed in with homesickness and family stress. And then we have the ghosts - they're benign, but what is it in the locked room of the old house they've inherited?

This has a nice bit of music winding through the story, along with the musician trying to discover who she is (a coming-of-age, in a way). However, the tale is narrated by various different family members so the focus
Shelly
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Highly enjoyable - the characters, as others have mentioned, were very well written and I could follow each of their thinking. I don't think there was a weak character, although Sibbi was definitely the standout. The plot didn't excite me too much, I thought that Else's story was left hanging (what happened to her new friends?) and a couple of editing errors in the book pulled me out of the story.
Hannah Bnana
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to have to read the rest of Ms Russon’s writing now - I enjoyed this one immensely. It had a “seven little Australians” vibe at the start, which would have been enough to earn five stars from me, but the whole story of how they ended up in a soul destroying haunted house in London was captivating. I truly love this book.
Recommended for 12 - 16 year olds especially, because the teenage characters in it are just beginning to realise that their parents are people too.
Sheila
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A family from Australia inherit a house in London. The story of their move , their new life and how it effects them and the ghosts that inhabit the house are told with simplicity that doesn't account for its charm. Every couple of pages is told from the perception of one of the family, father, mother, 5 children and the two ghosts. Charming book.
Anna Davidson
3.5* A lovely family story with a mysterious, ghostly element. If you’ve ever lived in another country and had yearnings for home, the many mixed feelings of the Outhwaite family will resonate with you.
Emma
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would like to give this beautiful novel 10 stars. What a special, sincere & affectionate portrayal of a family with all its quirks and fears and love.
Penni Russon thank you & congratulations, I love it so.
Linda Gratsounas
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for those 9-14. Lovely and lyrical, thoughtful and entertaining. It would make a great BBC/ABC miniseries because the dual settings are so wonderously photogenic and the climax so very filmic, and they should get right on it now!
Zana Fraillon
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful book. I love everything written by Penni Russon, but this one is particularly special. She gets right into the heart of family. These characters will stay with me for a very long time.
Ashleigh
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review to come on my blog tomorrow on pub day.
Stef (Noveltea Corner)
3.5 stars. Review to come.
Kathryn Woods
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks for the Outhwaite kids Penni. I love them.
Kate Gordon
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenally beautiful ❤️
Roslyn
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Review to come)
Christine
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely story about a quirky yet realistic family. Year 6 and above.
Lynn
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute little YA fiction. Not going to change the world but my kids will enjoy.
Leona Silk
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant loved this book. Definitely recommended.
Rudyroo
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An awesome Australian read. For 9-15 age group. The taste of Australia in it really spoke to me. And I felt personally connected in some way to a few of the characters. Penni’s writing style is unusual, interesting, poetic and a breath of fresh air. Totally enjoyed this book. Even though I’m nowhere near the age of the target group.
Renz Tampos
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
⭐️⭐️⭐️ 2.5 Stars
I have mixed feelings with this book. I like the writing of fhe author and the different pov of the characters. However, I contain how much i hate the character Else like she was just soooo fucking rude to her parents and her sibling and i just couldn’t understand how can you be so immature. I hated reading her at first but I thought she was gonna get a character development when they got to London but nopee she didn’t and i hated her even more. I can see that the author was inte

• Lenny's Book of Everything