Start by marking “The Three Beths” as Want to Read:
The Three Beths

The Three Beths

My mom would never leave me.

This has been Mariah Dunning's motto. Her compass. Her belief. So when she glimpses her mother--who's been missing and presumed dead for the past two years--on the other side of a crowded food court, Mariah's conviction becomes stronger than ever. Or is she losing her mind?

Her mother disappeared without a trace and--even without a body or any ph
Published October 23rd 2018 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Beths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Beths

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 tense and original stars to The Three Beths! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Why hasn’t Jeff Abbott been on my reading radar before? I am his newest fan.

I don’t know how you could read the synopsis and not be intrigued. The premise is completely original, and the way this is written is exceptionally engaging.

Mariah Dunning’s mother disappeared without a trace, which is completely out of character for her. Mariah’s father shoulders the blame, though he proclaims his innocence. Their lives are abruptly altered becaus
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I thought that this was really good. I decided to pick this one up because I was in the mood for a good mystery and I have been wanting to read Jeff Abbott's writing. Once I started reading this book, I was hooked. I wanted to know what had happened to these three Beths and I wanted to see their families find the answers they needed. This was a mystery that turned out to be quite the page-turner.

Mariah's mother has been gone a long t
Darinda
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Mariah doesn't believe her mother, Beth, would ever just leave, but Beth has been missing for a year. Mariah hasn't given up on finding her mother, and while searching for her, she discovers there are two other missing women, also named Beth. Mariah believes the missing women must be somehow connected.

The community suspects Mariah's father of killing her mother, despite there having been no body found. Mariah continues to stick up for her dad, but there does seem to be some suspicious behavior o
Pauline
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Mariah's mother Beth went missing without a trace and suspicion falls on Mariah's father. One day while at the mall she thinks that she sees her mother and gives chase. She doesn't catch up with the person but this gives her fresh hope that her mother is alive and in hiding.
After searching online she discovers two more women called Beth have also disappeared in very similar circumstances.
A slow building thriller that kept me guessing.
Thank you to NetGalley and Little Brown Book Group UK for my
Deb Jones
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Author Jeff Abbott has written more than 16 books and is a New York Times Bestselling writer. The Three Beths is my first glimpse of Abbott's work. To be generous, I was less-than-thrilled with this reading experience.

I found the main character, Mariah Dunning, to be insipid and unreliable. Some of the dialogue felt stagey and untrue to the character speaking. The pace was plodding for the first half of the book.

It wasn't a terrible story. The Three Beths has some intrigue, but it also has what
Elaine
Nov 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: am-i-thrilled
The Three Beths is the second standalone novel by Mr. Abbott that has disappointed me.

I've got more questions than ridiculous answers, such as:

1. What was the point of Mariah seeing that stranger who looked like her mom in the first place?

Just to kickstart her desire to search for her mom? Pretty flimsy, if you ask me.

2. Hooking up with a deceased woman's husband is just gross.

And why does Mariah need a love interest? I mean, come on, does every female need a man by the end of the book?

3. Plen
Luanne Ollivier
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The Three Beths is Jeff Abbott's newest book.

Mariah Dunning's mother disappeared a year ago. Law enforcement is sure that her father has killed her, but has yet to prove it. One day while at the mall, Mariah is sure she sees her mother at the food court - and she redoubles her efforts to find her. And her search turns up another woman named Beth who has also disappeared. And going by the title, you know there's another.

The Three Beths is a busy book with many twists and turns throughout. Now, I
Kathy
Last year when I read Jeff Abbott's Blame, the first book I'd read by him, I thought I'd found a special new (for me) author. After just finishing The Three Beths, that thought had solidified into a concrete fact. No one tells a story steeped in secrets better than Abbott. His mastery of connecting the threads between characters and the timing of revealing their hidden deeds or thoughts is perfection. Secrets seldom hold their breaths forever, and the effects that delay of information and taking ...more
Karen Whittard
I’m really sorry. But this book just was t for me. The writing of the book is pretty good. But I didn’t like the characters. Which meant I didn’t really enjoy the book. I’m so sorry.
VickiLee
I found this to be a brisk, interesting read with enough suspense to keep me moving at a good speed. Three women, all named Beth, have disappeared from the same area. The persistent daughter of one of the women is determined to discover what happened to her mother. There are no bizarre, shocking twists (which are so popular today). Rather, we are lead along pathways of discovery which I found satisfying.
Marcia
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sorry but the whole book was preposterous. I felt no empathy for anyone. I don't want to spoil it if you want to read it but it just made no sense to me why the main character would go off in search of clues that were ridiculous. There was one character to like/feel sorry for but the rest were awful people.
Jay Dwight
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Jeff Abbott's work and this tale is a true mystery. The reader is cleverly kept in the dark right up to the final reveal.

Two women have disappeared within six months of each other. A true crime podcaster plants a seed that the two cases might be linked, and this sets the daughter of one of the missing women on an investigative trail to find the truth about the disappearances.
Darlene
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s always great to read a Jeff Abbott book. This book was definitely a page turner. This was a great mystery and as you read the book there are so many hidden secrets. Two women with the name of Beth vanish within six months of each other. The daughter of the second Beth wants to know why her mother simply vanished and starts her own investigation. Do the two Beths know each other? And where does a third Beth fit in? Ahh, I can’t tell you, this is a must read if you want the answers.
Mr. Abbot
Linda
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There isn’t a book that Jeff Abbott has written that I don’t love. His Sam Capra series is excellent as are all his stand-alone novels..
The three Beths follows a young girl, Mariah, searching for her missing mother Beth. Her father has been the main suspect of the police and silently accused by his neighbours and work colleagues. When Mariah’s friend Chad, who runs a crime website, finds another Beth had gone missing around the same time as her mum, Mariah keeps digging until she finds that thes
Wendy Pakrul
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book, a lot of twists and turns in this one!
Ti.Me
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trauma, coverups, greed, and a healthy dose of raw insanity to pull it all sideways. The Three Beths left my head spinning.

I can't wait to get my hands on another Jeff Abbott novel.
Beth
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, thriller, mystery
I enjoyed reading a book with 3 Beths in it. I think there should be more Beth literature. 😁😆
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery suspense fans
RATING: 3 STARS

I really enjoyed Jeff Abbott's last novel, Blame, so I was excited to start this title. I listened to this one on audio as well, and liked the narrator. The synopsis sounded interesting - a mother and wife goes missing, and her husband is labeled her killer by the community. Their young daughter stands by her father is pulled into the community gossip. Mariah thinks she sees her mom at a food court one day and goes into investigation mode. She discovers that two more women named B
Daniel Kincaid
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I finished this book with mixed feelings. I honestly don't know what to think of it.

As a fan of Abbott, I can tell you this book in not similar to his other works. It's a very slow-burner, and the pace picks up (barely) only halfway through. Abbott's books (whether the Sam Capra series or his other stand-alones) are usually even-paced and intense.
The characters are somewhat un-relatable, especially the main character, Mariah. Not only she wasn't engaging, she was mostly annoying as hell. Also,
Marika Charalambous
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very suspenseful psychological thriller dealing with the disappearance of Mariah's mother, Beth. There were lots of twists and turns in the story, and the action and thrill never let go.

If you enjoy standalone thriller with disappearance being a major theme in the book, you'll want to pick up The Three Bets.

Full review: https://mysterysequels.com/book-revie...
Jo
Mariah's mother disappeared without a trace, the police convinced her father had something to do with it. Mariah's friend discovers that another woman called Beth disappeared 6 months after her mother so Mariah starts looking into the cases. This was a pretty solid mystery with various twists and a psychopath on the loose.
Crystal Hiatt
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wom2019-nyn
This is a slow-burn of a novel with characters that are unlikable and have questionable motives to their actions. Some of the plotting was a bit preposterous and was, overall, an unsatisfying read for me.
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Great read! Missing persons, families, lies, oh my!
Isabel Smith
Three different women. Three different circumstances. Three different lives at stake. Can the three Beths avoid the same fate?

Something sinister is going on in Mariah Dunning’s hometown. Three women with the same name have gone missing within a rather short time span. When the police and community start looking into Mariah’s dad as a possible suspect, Mariah knows she must do whatever it takes to find out what happened to the three Beths, one of which is her mother.

Jeff Abbott’s latest crime th
Richard Haynes
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, fiction
A story about families destroyed by mistakes made "and the revenge is visited upon the kids." One kid never gives up on finding her mother and links two cases of two disappearances of two Beth's. A fast paced thriller good to the last sentence.
Beth
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Meh, that is too many Beths.
Dan Keefer
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
"The Three Beths" got me involved from the beginning . . . but as the story continued, it nearly lost me. I was curious about who did what and why, but at times my curiosity was tested by a growing sense that the novel was going on and on unnecessarily. It too slowly tied things together, mostly doing so in a long monologue near the end.

The plot uses multiple characters to construct a fairly entangled storyline. Everyone has character flaws that sometimes take them places that they shouldn't go.
Franny
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Touted as a thriller novel, "The Three Beths" begins on a light-weight premise with characters whose motivations are weak, at best. As the plot thickens - thins? - the book turns into an hysterical comedy. A veritable crowd of characters begin chasing around, spying on one another, breaking into each others' homes, and wielding an astonishing array of guns, knives, and hypodermic needles. Murders begin to pile up until all an intelligent reader can do is weep with laughter. Jeff Abbott deserves ...more
Susan
Nov 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
The promotions for this book predicted that this book would be a real thriller, so I took a chance. Big mistake. I was bored out of my mind with it. It is a convoluted tale of accidents, murder and revenge involving three women with the name of Beth. The action drags, the ties between the parties is stretched and overall I wish I had never bothered with this book.
Candace
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I mostly liked this....it was a bit convoluted, everything came together pretty haphazardly towards the end, it felt like. The characters were interesting though, and it kept me mostly interested and invested til the end. I just feel that the main character's actions were a little preposterous, and very little of it seemed plausible in a lot of ways.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Eighth Sister (Charles Jenkins #1)
  • Gia and the Forgotten Island (Gia Santella Crime Thriller #2)
  • A Reckoning in the Back Country (Samuel Craddock Mystery, #7)
  • Murder in Spite (New Scotland Yard/Doyle and Acton, #8)
  • Walleye Junction (Macy Greeley, #3)
  • Scot Free
  • The Woman in the Camphor Trunk (Anna Blanc Mysteries #2)
  • The Equalizer (Equalizer #1)
  • Path Into Darkness
  • Heart of Stone (Ellie Stone Mysteries #4)
  • A Well-Timed Murder (Agnes Luthi Mysteries #2)
  • What Doesn't Kill You
  • Unstoppable Octobia May
  • Map of Shadows (Mapwalker, #1)
  • The Vanishing Box (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #4)
Jeff Abbott (born 1963) is a U.S. suspense novelist. He has a degree in History and English from Rice University. He lives in Austin, Texas. His early novels were traditional detective fiction but in recent years he has turned to writing thriller fiction. A theme of his work is the idea of ordinary people caught up in extraordinary danger and fighting to return to their normal lives. His novels ar ...more