Start by marking “Not Broken” as Want to Read:
Not Broken

Not Broken

They say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger...

Calida Jokobi doesn’t see it that way. Surviving an abusive relationship with a sadistic, manipulative man changed her. She has spent the last two years carefully constructing her new persona with two goals in mind: to keep the remaining pieces of her heart safe and her deepest secrets buried. One man puts it all at risk.
ebook
Published November 23rd 2017 by Meka James

To ask other readers questions about Not Broken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Broken

Start your review of Not Broken
3BookBabes
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let’s start with this amazing cover. I get all excited every time I see it because covers are SO important and, sadly, not always given the attention they deserve. Not Broken has an absolutely gorgeous cover that also just so happens to make this Babe squee because… well you’ll see when you read the story.

The Book Junkie Reads . . .
KUDOOOOS . . .

Not Broken was a tale of pain from someone you love via emotional, physical, and mental. Calida was broken in so many ways. The tale that lead her to the point in life where she was no longer broken, no longer afraid, no longer lost, no longer drowning, no longer wanting to be cut off from the world around her and love.

I will say that I did not read the prior book that contained more in depth details of Calida's painful reality of love, beauty, and security. I feel that if I
Cheyanne Lepka
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, this book sort of found me, instead of the other way around, and I’m sure glad I decided to read it. (Read: I won it in a giveaway on Twitter!)

What I liked about this book is that instead of centering on a broken relationship, it focused on the aftermath of an abusive relationship. Moreover, it focused on the recovery and the difficulty in learning to trust again, and the difficulty that the loved ones of a person who was in an abusive relationship might face. It’s a very raw book in places,
Evie Drae
Whether you’ve read Ms. James’ debut novel, FIENDISH, or not, NOT BROKEN is a much-needed light in the darkness. It stands alone beautifully, but for those of us who experienced FIENDISH first hand, it is a much-needed balm for the ravaged soul. Ms. James is a masterful storyteller, weaving a gripping tale surrounding the hardships of finding oneself in the wake of an abusive relationship, learning to trust again, and discovering strength in the power of love.

(view spoiler)
Yawatta Hosby
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I loved this romance novel. It switched between Calida’s first person point-of-view and Malcolm’s first person point-of-view. Calida was my favorite character because of her inner-strength. It took a lot out of her pretending she was normal in order to please her family and friends. I loved every scene of Calida opening up to her therapist. As a reader, it gave me relief that she’d make it.

Meka James provided great sexual tension throughout the book. Malcolm was a total gentleman, loving Calida
Chelsea DeVries
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m a sucker for a good love story and I love realistic romance novels. Sure, I won’t lie and pretend the sex scenes aren’t nice but that keeps me reading is characters who are multi-faceted, humanistically flawed, and still grin and bear their struggles.
In walks Calida, our warrior princess. She’s a single mother with a heavy backstory (one that readers can unravel by reading this author’s first novel, Fiendish) although you aren’t required to do any additional reading in order to fully catch
Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡
I'm so happy this book was released. After all the angst in the first one, it's so satisfying to read Calida's happy ending. And what I love the most is how realistic it is. Calida doesn't just "get over" her issues from the abuse in a few weeks, a few years, or a few chapters. It's on-going, it's the central theme, and it's realistic and well written.

Malcolm is a sweetheart. I can't fault him at all, even the moments where he puts his foot (or entire leg and half the other one) in it.

It's
Marit
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this beautifully written story, the ultra yummy Malcolm proves to the lovely and fragile Calida that she is indeed, Not Broken.
I loved witnessing their real struggle and there were also some happy moments (Ms. James writes THE BEST sex scenes).
This book was a refreshing change from formula romance and I highly recommend it.
Brandi Collins
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful love story taking place after a series of tragic and heartbreaking events. The main characters, Calida and Malcolm, are believable and the entire story was well written. I wanted to reach through the pages and help the characters with their pain.
Christine
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book, it was so well written and I could feel all of Calida's emotions. Her pain, suffering, self-doubt, anger, fear, confusion. All of these emotions come at you as the reader. But there is also hope. This comes in the form of Malcolm. He's in love with Calida and is willing to do whatever it takes to prove it to her. A very good book.
Sameh
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
when reading the word " End " with tears in my eyes .... She deserves all that happiness , she deserves him , and he won her ...more
G
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a novel about trauma, surviving and thriving after abusive relationships. Malcolm was such an understanding man as he steadily showed Calida that she was not broken and there was a future filled with love with him, i she could find it in herself. Engaging characters and an emotional strong story.

Amelia Foster
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let’s start with this amazing cover. I get all excited every time I see it because covers are SO important and, sadly, not always given the attention they deserve. Not Broken has an absolutely gorgeous cover that also just so happens to make me squee because… well you’ll see when you read the story.

In Fiendish, Calida is embroiled in a massive love-gone-wrong story. Ms. James is a brilliant author who weaves in enough details of Calida’s past for the reader to know she is struggling to come out
Jessica Calla
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading NOT BROKEN: THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER by Meka James, I needed to take a few hours and really digest the book before writing this review. This was not an easy book to read, and certainly not a formulaic romance. The love is there from page one, but it doesn’t start to fit together right away. As I described to a romance group I belong to, NOT BROKEN is sort of like an iced coffee—delicious but dark and bitter, with a huge spoonful of sugar lumped on the bottom, just waiting for a swift ...more
Tanya
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She is so broken from an abusive relationship and he has been there through it all. He has loved her so much and he wants to help her recover. The wounds to do very deep but can he help her? See if he can help her recover and learn love is real

Amy
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This incredibly moving story deals with resilience of the spirit and of the body. The heart can mend and embrace new beginnings. The trauma and heartache that Calida endoures with her shockingly abusive husband who uses physical and mental abuse to control her. Makes you cry and wish for a better tomorrow.You will fall in love with Malcolm.

Meghan T
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
D.A. Henneman
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-indie
This was a story of heartbreak and healing, beautifully written from each of the main character’s perspectives. The story of Calida’s tragic past comes to us in waves as she works through the guilt and fear that allows her deceased husband to retain control of her life. Malcolm, a man from her past, is patient and understanding, wanting to give Calida the love she deserves and hopes to be part of a future with her and her son.

One character is crippled by the past, the other is blinded by the
MidnightAce Book Bar
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Book Bar Review

Love is patient,love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking,it is not easily angered,it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evilbut rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always persevere. Love never fails.

~~~1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Whoa…talk about an emotional roller coaster, but what I like most about this one was it centered around the heroine’s healing
Empi Baryeh
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two years after surviving an abusive marriage, Calida is still a mental prisoner to her past. However, her best friend's brother, Malcolm, who has been by her side all this time, is determined to show her the kind of unconditional love she deserves.

From the very first page of the book, I found myself engrossed with Malcolm and a grand gesture he makes to get Calida to see him as more than just a friend and with Calida who hints at the darkness that still lies within her. I was drawn in by
R.J. Rome
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picking up the pieces of a broken heart and shattered soul. This book is a standalone however, there is a first part to this book that I didn't read book which is the backstory of Calida and Seth. I did feel a little lost at times, wanting to know what Calida went through but the author does a good job with explanations so that it makes sense without reading the other book. This is classic story of how love can save someone. I was occasionally frustrated with Calida and Malcolm and his ideas of ...more
Becky Kapjon
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm going to start my reveiw with saying the topic of the book would not have been one I would normally read. That being said, this book kept me on the edge of my seat. I loved the progression of Calida and Malcolm's relationship. I think the best part of the book was Calida's transformation. I don't want to give too much away. I loved the characters and hope to read more from Ms. James.
Julee Allen
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has a prequel but the author made the backstory clear enough to grasp (and without bogging things with info dump!) so it can be read as a standalone, which is what I did. Not Broken is a beautiful story of the reclaiming of one's life after an abusive relationship. Ms. James shows the horror well without going into graphic detail. It's not an easy road, but Calida finds her way. I was rooting so hard for Calida & Malcolm, and thrilled when they got their HEA.
Daisy Delaplane
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved the slow pace of this book and its well-reflected timeline for healing from prolonged trauma. Calida's story in Fiendish was heartbreaking. Here, as she lets love back into her life, her story becomes heart-healing and life-affirming. It helps to Fiendish first...but that book sits on my Horror shelf, so it's not appropriate for some readers. Ms. James does a good job of alluding to Calida's past without putting in details for the more sensitive reader.
Mary
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an emotional and heartfelt story! I loved Malcolm and Calida's journey to happiness. It broke my heart reading what Calida has been through. To overcome everything and end a wonderful man's arms was truly a leap of faith and learning to trust. This story is very well developed with some great characters.
Felicia Grossman
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, emotional book about rebuilding ones life and taking care of oneself. I especially enjoyed how carefully the author dealt with the mental health issues. Calida and Malcolm's relationship had such a wonderful arc. They really grew together through her recovery and self-discovery. Also, the sex scenes were pretty darn hot (and fantastic). An excellent read.
Pat
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed me right from the very first page! The story was beautifully written and the characters were well fleshed out which made Calida and Malcolm very likable, believable and engaging! This was the first book that I have read from this author and it definitely will not be the last!
Etta Silby
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a much needed balm after the dark brilliance of Fiendish. Our heroine finds her HEA in one of the most devilishly handsome and winsome leading men I've had the pleasure of reading. Mal stole my heart and I'm so very, very grateful he won over Ginger's in the process. This can read as a standalone, or it can serve as a beautiful ending to a delightfully wicked duology.
Carol
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a touching read. It had ups and downs. The story was well written and the characters were fantastic. It is interesting and kept my attention. I recommend it to all. It is a must read. I received it from booksprout and voluntarily left my review.
Coralie Moss
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the slow pace of this book and its well-reflected timeline for healing from trauma. Calida's story in Fiendish was heartbreaking. Here, as she let's love back into her life, her story becomes heart-healing and life-affirming.

• Meant to be Kept
  • Slower: Book Two Jake and Louana
  • Faster: Book One Jake and Louana
  • Love Repaired
  • Love Done Write
  • Magic Remembered (Calliope Jones #1)
  • Meant to be Different
  • Luca's Lessons
  • Beauregard and the Beast (Once Upon a Vegas Night, #1)
  • Appetites & Vices (The Truitts #1)
  • Opening Nights
  • Deities & Desires: Death On Line One
  • Sin & Spirit (Demigods of San Francisco, #4)
  • Magic Reclaimed (Calliope Jones #2)
  • Dalliances & Devotion (The Truitts, #2)
  • The Little Lies We Hide
  • To Betray a Master
  • Pleasure Bound
I'm a stay at home mom of 4 kids and have been happily married to my husband for 11 years and counting. I lead a pretty basic and straightforward life and use writing and reading as my escape.

Best places to find me: