Start by marking “Bellewether” as Want to Read:
Bellewether

Bellewether

Some houses seem to want to hold their secrets.

It’s 1759 and the world is at war, pulling the North American colonies of Britain and France into the conflict. The times are complicated, as are the loyalties of many New York merchants who have secretly been trading with the French for years, defying Britain’s colonial laws in a game growing ever more treacherous.

When captur
Published April 24th 2018 by Simon & Schuster Canada

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Holy crap, it is so boring.

I've read Kearsley before, but not for a few years. I don't remember the rest being as bad as this one.

I wouldn't say it was BAD bad, just so long and dull. The story is told from 3 POVs, 2 historical, 1 present, and they are all awful. The narratives ramble on and on and on about their lives and stuff and there's this mystery with no buildup. Like literally, no buildup. I confess, I DNFed it at like 70% and I have no desire to continue because there's like no relatio
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.33 stars. Full review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Susanna Kearsley is a popular Canadian novelist who writes historical fiction, favoring the dual-timeline model with a current plotline and a historical one that intersect in one way or another. Her novels are generally spiced with a mystery, a romance (or perhaps two, one in each of the timelines) … and a paranormal element, such as time travel, ghostly spirits, or a character with psychic abilities.

Bellewether, Kearsley’s first novel
Ava Brightly ☕
Without a description, without any information, Im ready to preorder. Ms. Kearsley is that good.
Erin
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced ebook in exchange for an honest review.

April 24th, as I stated in my reviews of both Come from Away and The Husband Hour is going to be an epic day for all of us Canadian book readers and now I have to add Bellewether to that book buying list. This is my 10th Susanna Kearsley in a five year period and let me tell you that this Canadian novelist is a powerhouse that you cannot afford to pass by.

Meticulously researched, this triple narrative that volleys read
Zoe
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful, absorbing, and incredibly fascinating!

Bellewether is an enthralling tale set on the eastern shores of Long Island during the late 1750s, as well as present day, and is told from three different perspectives. Lydia, a strong, hardworking young woman struggling to care and support those she loves in a time of uncertainty and upheaval. Jean-Philippe, a French-Canadian soldier who finds himself captured and a parole of honour in the final pivotal days of the Seven Years' War. And Charley,
Holly
Considering how almost absolutely nothing happens in this book, I surprisingly liked it while I was reading it. It was only when it ended, and well, I realized I just read a whole lotta' nothin', that I decided I couldn't rate this higher than three stars.

Susana Kearsley has a formula that she uses for every.single.book. It goes like this:
- Two main narrators, both female
- The female narrators live in different time periods
- One of the female narrators is somehow doing some kind of research that
Lori
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this so, so much. So many endearing characters but Zeb, Lydia and Jean-Philippe were favorites. I appreciate that Kearsley added an authors note explaining her motivations for writing about this time period; “I find people I just feel are reaching out to me. They take hold of my heart, somehow, and I just can’t forget them.” Her writing conveys her passion so authentically that I carry it with me long after I’ve turned the last page. If you have not had the pleasure of reading a Kearsl ...more
Genevieve Graham
As she has with every one of her exquisite time slip novels, Susanna Kearsley left me breathless with "Bellewether". Historical fiction is all about bringing history to life, and Ms Kearsley always gives us so much more than a mere heartbeat. With a curator's expertise, a historian's passion, and an artist's finesse, she brings meticulous attention to 18th century historical detail (including the Acadians - a particular favourite of mine), and every detail has a purpose, meaning her beautiful pr ...more
Hollis
If you're looking for a detailed historical read set in the late 1700s surrounding the war between the British and the French on American, and Canadian soil, you'll love this. I have never read anything from this particular conflict, though I think maybe I've read something after the fact?, and I particularly wasn't familiar with this idea of billeted war prisoners staying in peoples' homes, as a mark of their honour and rank, instead of jails but I found the concept totally fascinating.

Kearsley
Cindy Burnett
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susanna Kearsley’s latest book focuses on a house on the eastern shores of Long Island. In this dual timeline tale, the story alternates between three characters, Lydia, Jean-Phillippe, and Charley. Lydia and Jean-Phillippe live in the 1750’s; Lydia inhabits the house in question, and Jean-Phillippe is a French Canadian lieutenant held there as a captive during the Seven Years’ War. Charley lives in the present day and endeavors to uncover the secrets of Wilde House, itself a character in the st ...more
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease

Edit: Another pretty cover but I kind of wish it was different from all of the others. They are starting to look the same.
Sophia
Want some atmosphere and a story focused on an old Colonial Era house out on Long Island that is on the cusp of revealing it's secrets? Susanna Kearsley does what she does best and offers a story within a story, a twisting tale full of secrets and love in the past? And that little bit where the reader catches something in their peripheral view and, for just an instant, believes in ghosts and superstition as reality.

The story opens with history buff, Charley, moving to Long Island and taking a jo
Melissa
I love historical fiction. Even more when there’s a connection to the present, like with this book. And even even more when there’s romance. And it did help that it involved a French Canadian soldier, since I live in Quebec... I love to know more about history. I really loved that book. It’s beautifully written, and the change of perspective between Lydia, Jean-Philippe and Charley is captivating.

Thanks to the publisher for the advanced ebook through NetGalley.
Tina
3.5 *

Susanna Kearsley is an excellent story teller. I like how she blends the past and present together. This was a fascinating story. The present day story involves Charley (Charlotte) who comes back to her father's birthplace (on Long Island) to be a curator of an old historic museum home. The past story involves the historical home and its family. It mainly focuses on Lydia who lives in the home with her father and brothers. It is the time of the French War and a French-Canadian Lieutenant (J
Jessica
Kearsley manages to weave dry historical detail, blossoming lukewarm love affairs, and the banal intricacies of working for non-profit institutions into a tale I will soon forget.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing free digital access to this title in exchange for my honest opinion.
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Bellewether
Author: Susanna Kearsley
Release date: August 6, 2018
Cliffhanger: No
HEA(view spoiler)

The house, when I first saw it, seemed intent on guarding what it knew within its walls as long as it stayed standing; but we all learned, by the end of it, that secrets aren’t such easy things to keep.

Charlotte "Charlie" Van Hoek is the new curator at the Wilde family museum at Snug Cove, and stumbles upon a love story in the Wilde family that ends abruptly in tragedy. She'
Misfit
I yield at 27%. I love Kearsley's books, I really do, but this is boring and nothing happens and I don't care about anyone. The only interesting part was the first paragraph and it went downhill from there. I couldn't even get interesting in the story line set in the past.
Scarlett
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You know that feeling when you get a great first impression of someone, but you become disappointed after spending some substantial time with them? That is how I felt about this book, I lost interest very quickly. The topic seemed interesting, but it was nothing new. The typical past and present story, told from several perspectives, did nothing to impress me. None of the characters had something to captivate me or to make me care. Still, Susanna Kearsley is a good writer, her writing has a nice ...more
Sara
It takes a particular skill to write a dual time period novel and make it work seamlessly. It is something Susanna Kearsley does very well. Too often in such novels the switches between times seem jarring to me, but with Kearsley this is seldom the case. I suppose you could say her books are somewhat formulaic, but she researches her historical era well and includes some actual figures from the time, which adds authenticity.

In Bellewether, the setting is the Wilde House, a New York colonial home
Karen
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"I'm a soldier. I don't get to choose my path."
"You're a soldier, so you follow, yes? Then follow this." Pierre's hard finger jabbed him in the chest, above his heart.
"God gave you this. He set it like a light within you, so that you could see it well and know the way to go. You follow THIS, Marine. Don't look behind."

I really enjoyed this. It was a little slow going at first, but so well done that I easily got into a groove. I was equally drawn to both stories, the modern and the historic.
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-4.5 stars

This was my first book by Kearsley and I loved it. I can’t believe I haven’t read anything by her before. But now she is on my radar and I will be on the lookout for anything by this author. Bellewether has everything that I love in a book- dual timeline (past / present), multiple POV narration, a little bit of historical fiction, a little bit of mystery and a little bit of a paranormal element all rolled into one heck of a great tale.

I thought that the characters were extremely well
✶Rachelle✶
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical, 2018, arc
4 stars

I very much enjoyed this! It has everything I love about Ms. Kearsley’s books, and I can’t wait to add a copy to my bookshelf.

Full review to follow closer to publication
————-

I was beyond thrilled to see this ARC waiting in my inbox!

Susanna Kearsley is one of my favorite authors and I can't wait to get started with this one =D
Amy Bruno
3.5 stars. Great writing as always, I just wish there had been a little more drama and action.
Bookworm
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
2.5 stars Oh dear...this book was disappointing for me on so many levels. It sounded incredibly intriguing and seemed to have all of my favourite elements including a fascinating historical back drop, war, romance and even a paranormal aspect. Unfortunately I found it challenging to care and engage in the plot. I will even admit there was an instance about a third of the way through in which I considered abandoning it altogether although I'm glad that I pushed on. The second half of the book pic ...more
TL
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(my copy is is 434 pages)

Writing: 4 stars
Plot: 3.5 stars
Characters: 4 stars

3.75 stars overall perhaps
----

Miss Kearsley's wonderful writing transports me yet again to a long ago time and place. I fell in love with atmosphere and the people in it... wanting not to leave and at the same time wanting to know how it all turned out.

And yet, I didn't love this as much as her others (but I have a feeling this one will be more appreciated with further reads perhaps). Why? The "spark" was there but it was
Tracey
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“It's late summer, war is raging, and families are torn apart by divided loyalties and deadly secrets. In this complex and dangerous time, a young French Canadian lieutenant is captured and billeted with a Long Island family, an unwilling and unwelcome guest. Jean-Philippe de Sabran finds himself drawn to the daughter of the house. Slowly, Lydia Wilde comes to lean on Jean-Philippe, true soldier and gentleman, until their lives become intertwined. Legend has it that the forbidden love between Je ...more
Bree Hill
Susanna Kearsley has been my FAVORITE author for the past couple of years and it’s hard for me to go into her books unbiased and not automatically assuming I’m going to LOVE them just because it’s her. I found myself doing that with this book when really, about halfway through I was like OMG..SK is known for slow moving books but she’s also written books like Mariana and The Shadowy Horses where I felt from the beginning she had me sucked in..Bellewether was just a little too slow moving for me. ...more
Tracy
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be very honest in this review. I have read every book Susanna Kearsley has written. There is only one book that I didn't like. That was Named of the Dragon. I gave up on that one. Everything else I either loved immensely or liked a lot.

I have been impatiently waiting for the release of Bellewether for years. When it came out I saw several people mention that it was slow. Uh-oh I thought....

I started it and at first it was fine. I was interested in it for sure. Then, it got slow! I
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
This book follows the two timeline historical fiction style that we know of previous Susanna Kearsley writings. The main characters are in the present and intermingle with those in the past. Usually it is a setting or a relative that connects the two. In this novel however, it is only the presence of a ghost that shows itself like a house ghost or a legend told.

“The story of the ghost has been around for generations, and every generation ads their bit to it, but I’ll tell it the way I first hear
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Like so many of Kearsely's books, this was so beautifully done and told. I adore the slight paranormal elements and the back and forth through history. One of my favorites, although if I'm being honest, I love all her books so far. They are all just so well told and laid out.
Around the Year i...: Bellewether, by Susanna Kearsley 3 11 Jan 09, 2019 01:02PM
  • Come from Away
  • Shadows of Ladenbrooke Manor
  • Silence for the Dead
  • Women of the Dunes
  • House of Shadows
  • The Edge of Dark
  • Ember Island
  • Serpents in the Garden (The Graham Saga #5)
  • Night of a Thousand Stars
  • Betsy Was a Junior / Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy #7-8)
  • A Cottage by the Sea
  • The King's Witch (Frances Gorges Trilogy, #1)
  • A Lady in the Smoke: A Victorian Mystery
  • Yellowstone Deception (Yellowstone Romance, #5)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • The Piano Maker
  • The Island House
New York Times, USA Today, and Globe and Mail bestselling author Susanna Kearsley is a former museum curator who loves restoring the lost voices of real people to the page, interweaving romance and historical intrigue with modern adventure.

Her books, published in translation in more than 20 countries, have won the Catherine Cookson Fiction Prize, RT Reviewers’ Choice Awards, a RITA Award, and Nat
“Outside, the night was soft and fresh. There was a half-moon shining brightly in a field of stars, a glowing ring of light surrounding it, and it had made a trail across the bay that showed in places through the darker screen of trees.
They walked in silence, and she breathed the mingled scents of wildflowers sleeping in the shadows, and the salt air of the sea.
He had not let go of her hand. She did not want him to. They did not leave the clearing but at length they reached its edge, where rustling branches stretched above them and the light and noise and music of the barn seemed far away. One heart-shaped leaf fell from a nearby tree and landed on his shoulder and unthinkingly she lifted her free hand to brush it off before it marked the white coat she had worked so hard and long to clean.
She felt him looking down at her, and glancing up self-consciously she started to explain. And lost the words.
And then he bent his head and kissed her.
Everything around her seemed to stop, and still, and cease to matter. She could not have said how long it lasted. Not long, probably. It was a gentle kiss but at the same time fierce and sure and full of all the pent-up feelings she herself had fought these past months, and now she knew he had felt them just as she had, and had fought them, too. It was a great release to give up fighting. Give up everything, and float in the sensation.”
1 likes
“Every family needs its own historian, someone to guard the stories, yes? Or else they will be lost.” 1 likes