Start by marking “The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)

The Last Sun

(The Tarot Sequence #1)

Rune Saint John, last child of the fallen Sun Court, is hired to search for Lady Judgment's missing son, Addam, on New Atlantis, the island city where the Atlanteans moved after ordinary humans destroyed their original home.

With his companion and bodyguard, Brand, he questions Addam's relatives and business contacts through the highest ranks of the nobles of New Atlantis.
Published June 12th 2018 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about The Last Sun, please sign up.
Isaac I read an interview with Edwards where he said nine.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
A I think it was a set up for the later books. I definitely did not catch an explanation.

Start your review of The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
Kathy
I've been sitting on this review for over a month, all the while rewriting and tweaking and coming to the realization that a written review can't properly encompass the adoration I have for this story and its characters. A hundred gifs of muppet flails would be a better representation of my feelings, but I figure I still have some shred of respectability and professionalism to maintain.

But that was more or less my experience reading this book--every cell of my body flailing their tiny cytoplasmi
Jenni Lea
I adore this story. So much, I've listened to it twice. I thought the narrator was perfect for this book. He got the humor and his timing was perfect. I can't wait for the next book!

*************************
I love this book more and more with every re-listen.
Renée
~4.5 stars!~

SO much to like about this book!

1. The banter - Rune and Brand, as best friends, as Companions, were my favorite part of this book.
"It's a cock ring," Brand told Matthias.
"Godsdammit," I said. "It's a sigil. I have a Shatter spell in it. Do you know how few scions can pull off Shatter?"
"His magic cock ring," Brand said.

I adored seeing such a strong bond between best friends and having it not interfere when the romance with Addam and Rune started.

2. Brand is the best frie
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
You know those audiobooks where you can just half-ass listen to them and still keep up?

Yeah, this isn't that kind of book.

The Last Sun is wildly adventurous with a breakneck pace. It's filled with gnarly creatures, villainy, duplicitous characters and a few heroes. It's lite on the romance, though there is one... maybe two (all the things crossed) brewing.

In short, it's big fun and Josh Hurley is pitch-perfect. He captured the snark and banter whimsically and with élan. I thought he occasionally
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/06/24/...

It can be a dog-eat-dog world out there—especially if you’re an Atlantean. Rune Saint John learned that lesson early on the hard way, following a bloody coup on his family when he was just a young boy, which tragically resulted in the complete destruction of the Sun Court. Now, years later, rumors about that day still fly among the elites of New Atlantis, who love to gossip about the Sun’s sole survivor whenever the nobi
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
This is a new author and new-to-me narrator, and they both make a hell of an impression. While this didn't quite have the emotional depth I usually require for 5-star reads, it was so much fun and generally well-written that I can't give it less than five stars. And it was emotional when it needed to be, even though all the MCs were a bunch of dude-bros (but not douchey dude-bros, have no fear).

So you've got Rune St. John, the last of the Sun Court, which fell twenty years earlier when Rune was
Michael S.
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
It took me a bit of time and a minor leap of faith to get there, but I’m glad I gave this one a chance.

The urban fantasy/alternate history/fantasy kitchen sink setting was somewhat overwhelming at first, and there is no single, massive exposition dump that prepares you. The characters also don’t give many outright “as you know” speeches. It’s a great way to tell a story, but there’s a lot of potential for confusion in the early chapters.

This is not primarily an M/M romance, but it does have some
Lisazj1
This was freaking amazing! I was genuinely blown away and I can’t wait to read the next one!
Megan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know I'm not the only one with a distressingly large amount of books on my tbr pile. But sometimes a book catches your eye, and it has a pretty cover or the protagonist has a cool name and you think, sorry tbr, but why not. These spur of the moment books often turn out to be just ok, sometimes less than ok, sometimes more. And sometimes, just sometimes mind you- it wouldn't be one of the most special things about being an avid read if it happened all the time- but sometimes the book you never ...more
Leaf of Absence
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Edited to add some awesome The Last Sun fan art by Vic (@bloodwrit)

***

Rating: 9.5/10 Pyroblasts

The Last Sun is an urban fantasy novel with lots of queer characters, magic, and the undead - and of course Atlanteans who live on Nantucket cuz they blew up Atlantis in tragic world war. It is funny and dramatic and action packed.

The Atlanteans haven’t quite given up their warmongering, even though they’ve had to colonize a lovely former vacation island in the human realm, which now runs rampant with
Karen
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Josy
This was...WOW!!! Simply WOW!!!! New to me narrator, new to me author and I loved them both. I'm already into the next book so, I'll be back later with a more complete review but in a nutshell if you enjoy fantasy and want something with snark and humor...seriously check this one out it's simply awesome!!!!

So many thank yous to my cyber child for this super holiday gift.
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Impressive world-building and my kind of urban fantasy! Plus -- banter!
Kit (Metaphors and Moonlight)
4.5 Stars? 5 Stars? IDK, decisions are hard.

Review:
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review.*

This was the first book in a new series, and between the realistic characters, adorable friendship, unique world-building, and detailed magic system, it's off to an amazing start!

This book was urban fantasy, but more unique, and I loved it. It took place in New Atlantis, which exists in our world but is like a little country of its own where the Atlanteans liv
Jenia
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh man this book was a ride. It's very, VERY fun, and I highly recommend it to any fan of the Heartstrikers series. The character moments are all very sweet, ridiculous, funny, etc. The completely ridiculous Brand is my fave, to no one's surprise lol. And the action scenes are really badass! In short, again: FUN.
CW for rape.
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
I came upon this randomly. I was at the library (support your library!) perusing the 'New Books' shelf, and as usual picking up too many books to read when I had plenty still to get to already at home. I always look at the SF/F section here but rarely does anything new there pique my interest. I saw The Last Sun, noted that it was the first in a series, and that it was not an oversized epic. So, I thought, since I am usually years to decades behind the current in my reading, "I will read a new b ...more
Connor
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt, m-m-romance
I may bump this up with more in depth reflection. This was sooo engaging and I really enjoyed it. I’ll have to think about it a bit more before I do a wrap up.
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

Holy crap. I was not expecting a book with that cover to be this dark, gritty, violent...and so damned good! The world-building is phenomenal and the characterization was exceptional. The only reason it didn't get that last half-star is my own fault: I had a hard time keeping up.

See, first of all, Josh Hurley is an amazing narrator. Like, top-notch. I've listened to him on other audiobooks and he was good - but here he shines. A lot of performers tend to just use falsetto for female cha
Teal
I wanted to love this. I should have loved this. Why didn't I love this?

Somehow it just didn't come together smoothly -- the story felt chunky, like transitions weren't well-integrated, maybe? I don't know how to explain it -- obviously. I wasn't happy with how the tarot angle was managed. I didn't fully buy into the worldbuilding. And it didn't help that at the time I'd just read a truly awesome urban fantasy, Saint of Dead Gods, which made this suffer by comparison.

I had no intention of contin
Lindsay M.
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy. SHIT.

Do not sleep on this book.

It's hilarious, heartbreaking, original, queer, and incredibly well written. I don't think I've ever read a book where I can't pick a favorite character. I can't even pick between four. They fly off the page, and there is so much depth to this world that I can't wait to reread it and immerse myself again and again.

If you love fantasy, you have to try this.

ETA after 3rd reread: The audio is AMAZING! Highly, highly recommend. Definitely keeping this narrator o
Kathleen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stunning. Brilliant. Gorgeous prose. Beautifully drawn characters. Outstanding world building. Exquisitely imagined. I was nearly breathless as I finished. Probably this year's best read for me, along with Harper Fox's Brothers of the Wild North Sea.

Oh, more please!
Joyfully Jay
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

There is so much in this book to gush about, and so much more to say about the characters, but this review has already gone on a bit long, so I’ll try to be succinct. The world building in this book is amazing. It reminds me a bit of the Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny; not so much the writing, though Edwards does have a nice clean, crisp writing style that I found easy and absorbing to read, but in the deft, deceptively easy way his world blends magic and modern tec
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audible subscribers both audios in the series are on sale for $5.95 each until 2/28/20

Andreas
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
original review (are we calling this a review?)

this!!! was!!! so!!! good!!! like??? wow

***

reread #1 jan/21

still *heart eyes emoji* everywhere!!!
Karen Wellsbury
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Fantastic, fast paced, brilliant world building, wonderful characters, Sun and Brand have a wonderful bond and friendship that lights up this book. And there is clearly a much bigger picture.

The world building really is wonderful, using the magical place hidden in plain sight New Atlantis is fascinating. I kept thinking that the time frame was 'in the past' until something current would be said/ mentioned and I was reminded that this is 100% urban fantasy. The tarot houses who rule New Atlantis
Yuli Atta
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't know what kind of expectations I had for this book or even if I had any but I actually enjoyed it a lot. I listened to the audiobook while working and while I kind of had a hard time getting into it at first I soon found myself rooting for the characters and getting weirdly atta he'd to them in a way that I haven't in a while 😂

I love them all, I really like the world and even though I think it could've been fleshed out a bit better, it's still good for the length of the book. I can only
Gabi
There are plenty of authors who are great at world-building. Usually they start at the beginning, carefully explaining the world they created. Some might say, (maybe even I said it), that it's infodump. It might be, but you can imagine the world so clearly, you can place yourself in the setting and imagine the surroundings before the story truly starts.

K. D. Edwards does it differently. He drops the reader in the middle of the action, thus making them feel disoriented. I didn't know where I was,
Para (wanderer)
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Para (wanderer) by: Sharade
Once again, Sharade got me to read a book. And once again, it was fantastic. I took it with me on a train ride and finished it literally in one single sitting. It read that fast. If you're looking for something ridiculously fun, with great characters, tarot-based magic, loads of action, LGBTQ+ rep, and plenty of banter, this is the book for you.
My name is Rune Saint John.

I am, before anything else, a survivor: of a fallen House, of a brutal assault, of violent allies and complacent enemies, o
thefourthvine
I really enjoyed this. Solid worldbuilding, characters I liked, a platonic soulbond, intrigue and mysteries, and a compelling m/m romance. I read this quickly and spent especially the last half of the book eager to see what happened next. I’m looking forward to the next one. And yet I’m going to spend most of this review talking about the things I didn’t like.

I was disappointed that this has the flaw that a lot of m/m books do, in which women are there to be mothers, servants, and enemies, and
Kristen
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Full review is here, on my blog!~

Oh man, this book was an absolute delight. It had me laughing from page one. The banter between Brand and Rune was absolutely awesome. This was entirely my cup of tea, so obviously I cheered for these two from beginning to end.

This is the story of Rune Saint John, who is the last scion of the Court of the Sun. The Sun being one of the Arcana, or one of the houses of the Atlantean nobility. They live in New Atlantis (since humans wrecked the other one, yeah that o

• White Trash Warlock (Adam Binder #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound, #5)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Winter's Orbit
  • The Lightning-Struck Heart (Tales From Verania, #1)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • An Echo in the Sorrow (Soulbound, #6)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell, #1)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • The High King's Golden Tongue (Tales of the High Court, #1)
Author of THE LAST SUN and THE HANGED MAN (Sept 2019), the first two books in the Tarot Sequence. Published by Pyr. Reader of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, YA, Mystery, Graphic Novels, and LGBT+.

The Tarot Sequence (4 books)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • Scenes from Quarantine: A Tarot Sequence Novelette
  • The Hourglass Throne (Tarot Sequence #3)