Start by marking “The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)

The Last Sun

(The Tarot Sequence #1)

Rune Saint John, last child of the fallen Sun Court, is hired to search for Lady Judgment's missing son, Addam, on New Atlantis, the island city where the Atlanteans moved after ordinary humans destroyed their original home.

With his companion and bodyguard, Brand, he questions Addam's relatives and business contacts through the highest ranks of the nobles of New Atlantis.
Published June 12th 2018 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about The Last Sun, please sign up.
Isaac Jones I read an interview with Edwards where he said nine.

Start your review of The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
Kathy
I've been sitting on this review for over a month, all the while rewriting and tweaking and coming to the realization that a written review can't properly encompass the adoration I have for this story and its characters. A hundred gifs of muppet flails would be a better representation of my feelings, but I figure I still have some shred of respectability and professionalism to maintain.

But that was more or less my experience reading this book--every cell of my body flailing their tiny cytoplasmi
Jenni Lea
I adore this story. So much, I've listened to it twice. I thought the narrator was perfect for this book. He got the humor and his timing was perfect. I can't wait for the next book!

*************************
I love this book more and more with every re-listen.
Renée
~4.5 stars!~

SO much to like about this book!

1. The banter - Rune and Brand, as best friends, as Companions, were my favorite part of this book.
"It's a cock ring," Brand told Matthias.
"Godsdammit," I said. "It's a sigil. I have a Shatter spell in it. Do you know how few scions can pull off Shatter?"
"His magic cock ring," Brand said.

I adored seeing such a strong bond between best friends and having it not interfere when the romance with Addam and Rune started.

2. Brand is the best frie
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
You know those audiobooks where you can just half-ass listen to them and still keep up?

Yeah, this isn't that kind of book.

The Last Sun is wildly adventurous with a breakneck pace. It's filled with gnarly creatures, villainy, duplicitous characters and a few heroes. It's lite on the romance, though there is one... maybe two (all the things crossed) brewing.

In short, it's big fun and Josh Hurley is pitch-perfect. He captured the snark and banter whimsically and with élan. I thought he occasionally
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/06/24/...

It can be a dog-eat-dog world out there—especially if you’re an Atlantean. Rune Saint John learned that lesson early on the hard way, following a bloody coup on his family when he was just a young boy, which tragically resulted in the complete destruction of the Sun Court. Now, years later, rumors about that day still fly among the elites of New Atlantis, who love to gossip about the Sun’s sole survivor whenever the nobi
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
This is a new author and new-to-me narrator, and they both make a hell of an impression. While this didn't quite have the emotional depth I usually require for 5-star reads, it was so much fun and generally well-written that I can't give it less than five stars. And it was emotional when it needed to be, even though all the MCs were a bunch of dude-bros (but not douchey dude-bros, have no fear).

So you've got Rune St. John, the last of the Sun Court, which fell twenty years earlier when Rune was
Michael S.
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
It took me a bit of time and a minor leap of faith to get there, but I’m glad I gave this one a chance.

The urban fantasy/alternate history/fantasy kitchen sink setting was somewhat overwhelming at first, and there is no single, massive exposition dump that prepares you. The characters also don’t give many outright “as you know” speeches. It’s a great way to tell a story, but there’s a lot of potential for confusion in the early chapters.

This is not primarily an M/M romance, but it does have some
Leaf of Absence
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Edited to add some awesome The Last Sun fan art by Vic (@bloodwrit)

***

Rating: 9.5/10 Pyroblasts

The Last Sun is an urban fantasy novel with lots of queer characters, magic, and the undead - and of course Atlanteans who live on Nantucket cuz they blew up Atlantis in tragic world war. It is funny and dramatic and action packed.

The Atlanteans haven’t quite given up their warmongering, even though they’ve had to colonize a lovely former vacation island in the human realm, which now runs rampant with
Logan
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
As a queer tarot reader and lover of fantasy novels, this novel piqued my interest. I ultimately found it lacking, and downright offensive.

The premise? Very interesting. The sarcastic protagonist? Interesting as well. The breakneck pace? Tiresome. The basic vernacular? Disappointing. The total absence of dimensional female characters? Problematic. The harem of horny men trying to seduce or force themselves on the protagonist, who happens to be a rape survivor himself? Disgusting. The graphic dep
Karen
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Josy
This was...WOW!!! Simply WOW!!!! New to me narrator, new to me author and I loved them both. I'm already into the next books so, I'll be back later with a more complete review but in a nutshell if you enjoy fantasy and want something with snark and humor...seriously check this one out it's simply awesome!!!!

So many thank yous to my cyber child for this super holiday gift.
Kristen Burns
4.5 Stars? 5 Stars? IDK, decisions are hard.

Review:
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review.*

This was the first book in a new series, and between the realistic characters, adorable friendship, unique world-building, and detailed magic system, it's off to an amazing start!

This book was urban fantasy, but more unique, and I loved it. It took place in New Atlantis, which exists in our world but is like a little country of its own where the Atlanteans liv
Megan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know I'm not the only one with a distressingly large amount of books on my tbr pile. But sometimes a book catches your eye, and it has a pretty cover or the protagonist has a cool name and you think, sorry tbr, but why not. These spur of the moment books often turn out to be just ok, sometimes less than ok, sometimes more. And sometimes, just sometimes mind you- it wouldn't be one of the most special things about being an avid read if it happened all the time- but sometimes the book you never ...more
Jenia
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh man this book was a ride. It's very, VERY fun, and I highly recommend it to any fan of the Heartstrikers series. The character moments are all very sweet, ridiculous, funny, etc. The completely ridiculous Brand is my fave, to no one's surprise lol. And the action scenes are really badass! In short, again: FUN.
CW for rape.
Lisazj1
This was freaking amazing! I was genuinely blown away and I can’t wait to read the next one!
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

Holy crap. I was not expecting a book with that cover to be this dark, gritty, violent...and so damned good! The world-building is phenomenal and the characterization was exceptional. The only reason it didn't get that last half-star is my own fault: I had a hard time keeping up.

See, first of all, Josh Hurley is an amazing narrator. Like, top-notch. I've listened to him on other audiobooks and he was good - but here he shines. A lot of performers tend to just use falsetto for female cha
Lindsay M.
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy. SHIT.

Do not sleep on this book.

It's hilarious, heartbreaking, original, queer, and incredibly well written. I don't think I've ever read a book where I can't pick a favorite character. I can't even pick between four. They fly off the page, and there is so much depth to this world that I can't wait to reread it and immerse myself again and again.

If you love fantasy, you have to try this.

ETA after 3rd reread: The audio is AMAZING! Highly, highly recommend. Definitely keeping this narrator o
Kathleen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stunning. Brilliant. Gorgeous prose. Beautifully drawn characters. Outstanding world building. Exquisitely imagined. I was nearly breathless as I finished. Probably this year's best read for me, along with Harper Fox's Brothers of the Wild North Sea.

Oh, more please!
Teal
I wanted to love this. I should have loved this. Why didn't I love this?

Somehow it just didn't come together smoothly -- the story felt chunky, like transitions weren't well-integrated, maybe? I don't know how to explain it -- obviously. I wasn't happy with how the tarot angle was managed. I didn't fully buy into the worldbuilding. And it didn't help that at the time I'd just read a truly awesome urban fantasy, Saint of Dead Gods, which made this suffer by comparison.

I had no intention of contin
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audible subscribers both audios in the series are on sale for $5.95 each until 2/28/20

Karen Wellsbury
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Fantastic, fast paced, brilliant world building, wonderful characters, Sun and Brand have a wonderful bond and friendship that lights up this book. And there is clearly a much bigger picture.

The world building really is wonderful, using the magical place hidden in plain sight New Atlantis is fascinating. I kept thinking that the time frame was 'in the past' until something current would be said/ mentioned and I was reminded that this is 100% urban fantasy. The tarot houses who rule New Atlantis
thefourthvine
I really enjoyed this. Solid worldbuilding, characters I liked, a platonic soulbond, intrigue and mysteries, and a compelling m/m romance. I read this quickly and spent especially the last half of the book eager to see what happened next. I’m looking forward to the next one. And yet I’m going to spend most of this review talking about the things I didn’t like.

I was disappointed that this has the flaw that a lot of m/m books do, in which women are there to be mothers, servants, and enemies, and
Joyfully Jay
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

There is so much in this book to gush about, and so much more to say about the characters, but this review has already gone on a bit long, so I’ll try to be succinct. The world building in this book is amazing. It reminds me a bit of the Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny; not so much the writing, though Edwards does have a nice clean, crisp writing style that I found easy and absorbing to read, but in the deft, deceptively easy way his world blends magic and modern tec
wanderer (Para)
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to wanderer (Para) by: Sharade
Once again, Sharade got me to read a book. And once again, it was fantastic. I took it with me on a train ride and finished it literally in one single sitting. It read that fast. If you're looking for something ridiculously fun, with great characters, tarot-based magic, loads of action, LGBTQ+ rep, and plenty of banter, this is the book for you.
My name is Rune Saint John.

I am, before anything else, a survivor: of a fallen House, of a brutal assault, of violent allies and complacent enemies, o
Kristen
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Full review is here, on my blog!~

Oh man, this book was an absolute delight. It had me laughing from page one. The banter between Brand and Rune was absolutely awesome. This was entirely my cup of tea, so obviously I cheered for these two from beginning to end.

This is the story of Rune Saint John, who is the last scion of the Court of the Sun. The Sun being one of the Arcana, or one of the houses of the Atlantean nobility. They live in New Atlantis (since humans wrecked the other one, yeah that o
Stephanie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An urban fantasy with fascinatingly unique world-building and real heart, full of characters whose relationships I care about SO much. Perfect for fans of Ilona Andrews (as I am)! I checked out a library copy this time, but now I’m planning to buy a copy of my own for future re-reads.

TW: the hero, Rune, is a rape survivor (it happened 20 years before the events of this book), and while the subject is handled sensitively, he does experience a few extremely vivid (brief) flashbacks.

The magic in t
Kathleen
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this stunning urban fantasy that I first read last year and placed on my "Best of 2018" list. Unfortunately I was not enamored with the narrator of the audiobook. He reminded me of an over-stimulated puppy. Not quite right for this story. I still enjoyed the retelling, but sincerely hope the author/publisher finds someone less frenetic, with a wider vocal range, for the next in the series.
Daniel
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
TL;DR: Starts pretty bad, but improves steadily and just manages to scrape out a 4 by the end. Rune, the MC/narrator, never really gels as a character. The writing is uneven and issues abound, though I will lay most of those at the editor's feet given this is a debut author.

Urban Fantasy and I have a strained relationship. I grew up on genre fiction. I love genre fiction. But "magic" and "super powers" lost their appeal long ago, and the whole era of whiney emo vampires that Anne Rice spawned so
Susan
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
I really enjoyed the audio of this book. The narrator did a great job with this!

It did take me a while to get into the story, and there were times when I was still not sure if this book has been thought out in great detail or if the author just made things up on the fly.

I actually loved the characters from the start and that’s why I stayed interested. The story itself felt a bit all over the place in the first half. But once Addam was introduced I felt the story was finally heading somewhere. A
T. Frohock
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I actually read The Hanged Man first, and I enjoyed the adventures of Rune, Addam, and Brand so much, I went back and picked up The Last Sun.

You can read these books in any order and not miss a thing, but the true beauty of these novels are the intricate relationships between Edwards' characters. They're brought to life and made to feel human in so many ways. The scene with poor, stoned, Max almost broke me for the gentle way that Edwards showed Max's angst without seeping into melodrama. The b

• A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • The Marked Prince (The Darkest Court, #2)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Iron Crown (The Darkest Court, #3)
Author of THE LAST SUN and THE HANGED MAN (Sept 2019), the first two books in the Tarot Sequence. Published by Pyr. Reader of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, YA, Mystery, Graphic Novels, and LGBT+.

The Tarot Sequence (2 books)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)