Start by marking “Il marito di mio fratello vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Il marito di mio fratello vol. 1

Il marito di mio fratello vol. 1

(Otouto no Otto #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  8,913 ratings  ·  1,378 reviews
È il cuore e non il nostro corpo, a dirci chi siamo veramente. Da uno degli autori più celebri del mondo LGBT, una riflessione straordinaria sul vero significato dellamore e su come, per trovare la felicità, il segreto sia vivere senza pregiudizi. Un uomo, che abita con la figlia piccola, ospiterà in casa il marito del fratello defunto ...more
Paperback, Planet Manga - Panini 9L, 368 pages
Published October 19th 2017 by Panini Comics (first published May 5th 2015)

·  8,913 ratings  ·  1,378 reviews

Start your review of Il marito di mio fratello vol. 1
Zoë
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a heartwarming story about family, prejudice, cultural differences, and acceptance. As this was one of the first manga volumes I've ever read, I wasn't sure if I would be able to connect with the story or the characters. But after only 50 pages, I absolutely loved our three main characters. The easing tension between Yaichi and Mike felt organic and not rushed, and Kana is simply the cutest!
Pacing, art style, story, and emotions = A+! I immediately ordered the second volume from my
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was so perfect. SO PERFECT. If you haven't read this yet and you like queer things, READ THIS RIGHT NOW YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT
JV (semi-hiatus)
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to JV (semi-hiatus) by: Martin
Uplifting, illuminating, and endearing, My Brother's Husband is an LGBTQ+ manga that deserves to be read due to its timely content, impressive illustration, and inspirational message. The story ebbs and flows in a sonorous yet pleasurable way accentuating romantic and familial love, cultural and gender divergence, tackling homosexuality in a sexually-repressed, homophobic Japanese society, and finally bridging the gap between Eastern and Western identities. Tagame gracefully pens and illustrates ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The art in this manga was BEAUTIFUL and the story was super touching (I nearly cried just from reading the first few pages haha). I also loved how this demonstrated the huge cultural differences between Japan and North America (specifically Canada! Woo!) when it comes to the LGBTQ+ community. This is a beautiful, very important read, and I highly recommend it!
Sam Quixote
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Single dad Yaichis estranged gay brother recently passed away. In the wake of his death, his burly, friendly Canadian husband, Mike, has come to Japan to finally meet his brother-in-law and niece for the first time. Mikes presence forces Yaichi to confront his own deeply-buried prejudices about gay people, as well as address his strangely emotionless and lonely life.

I love Japan, the people and the culture, but, speaking from personal experience/observations, I know many of its societal
Lola
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, lgbt
This manga charmed me from the very first page. I was under its spell for the entire reading duration. Actually, it was so well-paced and heartfelt that I read it in one single sitting, and it does contain more than three hundred pages.

It is true that there exist Yaoi manga with characters somewhat discussing the anxiety of being openly gay in Japanalthough not as many as neededbut I found the clash of two cultures (Japanese and Canadian) so interesting.

I even learned some things myself. I had
Martin
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martin by: Adam
I definitely need to re-review this amazing, amazing graphic novel about living as a gay person in Japan...

Ryoji came out to his twin Yiachi at age 15 and due to the Japanese way of dealing with homosexuality by not talking about it - like ever - the brothers grew apart, with Ryoji making a life for himself in Canada and finding a loving husband in Mike Flannagan, a gentle-hearted Canadian.

However, Ryoji dies unexpectedly and Mike decides to visit Japan to meet his late husband's family: His
Jaidee
3.5 "funny, affirming, sweet" stars !!

I read this to celebrate Pride Month and since I am a very wild person (NOT) I always try something new for this special time. I am a No longer a Manga virgin !!

First the illustrations are absolutely vivid and beautiful and it was a joy to flip these pages and follow along. Mike, a white Canadian visits Japan after his Japanese husband dies to visit his brother-in-law and niece. All the characters are adorable as they try to grapple with their new
* A Reader Obsessed *
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, z-2019
4 Stars

Im not an expert in manga by any means, but I can see how this story has hopefully made some strides in breaking some barriers towards acceptance, not only in Japan but everywhere.

Yaichi is confronted with his dead brother Ryojis truth in the form of Ryojis big Canadian widower Mike, who shows up hoping to go down memory lane and connect with Ryojis family whom hes never met. Though Yaichi never rejected his twin, he wasnt as accepting either and his natural inclination to ignore or avoid
Greta
Heartwarming and fairly innocent, inoffensive manga about Kana, a little girl whos raised by her single father Jaichi, whose identical and gay twin brother Ryoji dies. Ryoji lived in Canada and was married to a huge, burly Canadian Mike who pays Jaichi and his daughter Kana a visit in Japan.

Although this was an endearing all-ages story, with many touching moments, for the most part it felt too didactic and conventional to me, and I think its more suited for teenagers. The author attempts to
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) My Brother's Husband Volume 1 ★★★★★
2.) My Brother's Husband Volume 2 ★★★★★

-----------------------------------------------

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Whitney Atkinson
TW: homophobia

My reading experience of this was greatly enhanced by the fact that Anderson Cooper blurbed this, and I had an out of body yet special experience knowing I was reading something that Anderson Cooper has also read. But I also enjoyed this book for what it was. The storyline of challenging your own belief systems and culture in order to be more accepting was touching, and seeing how a young girl interacted so positively with her gay uncle in a community that otherwise shunned him was
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Vol. 1 ★★★★★
Vol. 2 ★★★★★

My Brother's Husband has to be one of the most precious, heartwarming, lovable things I've ever read in my life. I was totally smitten from the very first page, and that feeling only grew stronger with each passing moment. I read the entire book over my lunch break and immediately placed a hold on the second (and final, sadly!) volume, because I have to continue it as soon as possible.

This manga covers so many emotions, it's wild it's tragic due to both of these men
David Schaafsma
Wow, I loved this first volume of a manga series about Yaichi, divorced father of Kana, formerly married to Netsuki, and twin brother of Ryoji, who was gay. Ryoji died a month ago, in Canada, where he was married to Mike Flanagan, who arrives at Yaichi's doorstep to see the Japan Ryoji had always talked about, and to visit his brother-in-law and niece! Not that this is initially easy, since Ryoji and Yaichi were estranged when Ryoji left Japan ten years ago. He reluctantly allows Mike to stay at ...more
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
This manga is about a lot of things - family, estrangement, the Japanese perception of homosexuality as well as other things that strike a chord of your heart. This is bittersweet, fun and utterly entertaining.

Comprehensive review to follow.

Image result for my brothers husband
Richard Derus
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Richard by: Book Riot
Rating: 3.5* of five, rounded up because half-stars will never come to Goodreads

Reading the manga way is weird for Westerners, or at any rate old ones like me. Back to front, right to left...and add in the graphic parts! Well, it was a read outside my comfort zone. The more alert among you will have noticed a favorable star rating atop the review's text. I liked the story of a man's journey from unquestioning homophobia to questioning discomfort through to earnest effort to understand and
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Confession: this is my first manga so it took me a while to adjust to reading back to front pagewise and right to left cellwise, but it was worth the effort.

One day a bearish Canadian named Mike turns up at Yaichi's home in Japan and says he is Yaichi's twin's widower, in Japan to experience the small things that made up his husband's childhood. What follows is some cultural exchange made more possible by the curious daughter Kana.

The translation is fun because when words are used for emotions
Julie
So, you know how supposedly there aren't any gay people in Russia?

Well, apparently there aren't too many in Japan, either.

But, somehow, a Japanese man named Ryoji becomes gay, despite the country's impeccable heterosexual record (was it contaminated green tea that did it?), and he flees to North America, the continent of the gays.

There he meets a hairy Canadian named Mike Flanagan, falls in love, gets married, then, unfortunately, dies too young.

The grief-stricken Canadian husband then travels
Glenn Sumi
A sweet and slightly sentimental manga about how a childs innocent perspective changes her prejudiced fathers idea about his late brothers homosexuality.

Single Tokyo dad Yaichi and his daughter Kana take in Mike Flanagan, the white, Canadian husband of Yaichis estranged twin brother, Ryochi, who recently passed away. Mike has come looking to learn more about Ryos past.

Kana instantly takes to Mike, and vice versa, but it takes longer to win over Yaichi, who, while superficially polite, has lots
Katie
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adored this! Highly recommend if you're in the mood for a heartwarming manga :)
Lauren
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ALL THE STARS!!

What can I say about this manga which hasn't already been said before?! My Brother's Husband focuses on Yaichi and his daughter, Kana, who welcome Mike, a gay Canadian who was married to Yaichi's twin brother, Ryoji, into their home. What follows is a very touching and important story about Japanese culture on homosexuality.

Kana is absolutely adorable - she comes out with some very blunt questions about queer marriage and the more intimate side of these relationships, much to her
Skye Kilaen
Fascinating, heartstring-pulling graphic novel duology about a Japanese single father, Yaichi, whose estranged gay twin brother Ryoji moved to Canada and married a Canadian man named Mike. After Ryoji passes away, Mike comes to see Ryoji's Japan for the first time and get to know his lost husband's family. Yaichi has never confronted his own homophobia until Mike arrives. His daughter Kana bonds with Mike immediately, but Yaichi has a more difficult time, though he works at questioning his own ...more
CG
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great start to a manga series. Cute, light-hearted, and it still managed to deal with a lot of the deeper societal issues tons of people face.
Needless to say I'm a fan! And definitely interested in reading the future volumes!
Ije the Devourer of Books
Such a beautiful story with the best manga artwork that I have ever come across. Gengoroh Tagame is known for his erotic gay manga but this book is a departure from that genre. In this volume Gengoroh Tagame has produced a beautiful story that is suitable for all ages and one that conveys thoughtful messages about homosexuality and cross cultural understandings of same sex relationships.

Yaichi is a single father bringing up his lively young daughter Kana. He lives a quiet life but this changes
David Schaafsma
Hollis
Not quite what I expected. It feels a little stiff and one-dimensional right now. Hoping volume two is better.
Erica Henry
This is such a sad and sweet story. Looking forward to reading the next volume.
Claire
An interesting insight into just how conservative Japanese society is, My Brothers Husband is a sweet story about diversity, acceptance, the innocence of children, and the weight of social expectation. Although I think these stories are important, I felt that this one barely strayed from conventional narratives and themes, so at time it struggled to hold my attention. ...more
Fabian
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had this one sitting on my tbr for ages, but finally got around to read it.
Loved it. Such a great story about grief (dealing with/overcoming it), family, love and sexuality. The way Tagame tackles cultural differences, regarding issues such as same sex marriage or homosexuality, is so incredibly well done. This right here, is the power own voices stories.
This story is heart-warming, wholesome and pretty informative at the same time. No wonder Tagame got an Eisner award for it.
Can't wait to
Lauren
A "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" scenario, retold/re-framed in this endearing manga. When Yaichi's twin brother unexpectedly dies, his husband visits Japan to meet his brother-in-law, and to connect with the memories of his home country. Mike is a lovable Canadian, and immediately captures the heart of young Kana, Yaichi's daughter.

The story ended abruptly, so I was glad to see there is a Volume 2. I want to see what happens next with this fun trio.

• しまなみ誰そ彼 1 [Shimanami Tasogare 1]
  • Bloom
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • ひだまりが聴こえる [Hidamari ga kikoeru]
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 2 [Shimanami Tasogare 2]
  • Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 3 [Shimanami Tasogare 3]
  • Mooncakes
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • On a Sunbeam
  • Gender Queer
Gengoroh Tagame is a Japanese manga artist who specializes in gay BDSM erotic manga, many of which depict graphic violence. The men he depicts are hypermasculine, and tend to be on the bearish side.

Born into a family descended from samurai, Tagame began his career as a manga artist in 1982, while he was studying graphic design at Tama Art University (多摩美術大学). His works have been published in

Otouto no Otto (4 books)