Start by marking “Contagion (Contagion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Contagion (Contagion, #1)

Contagion

(Contagion #1)

Perfect for fans of Madeleine Roux, Jonathan Maberry, and horror films like 28 Days Later and Resident Evil, this pulse-pounding, hair-raising, utterly terrifying novel is the first in a duology from the critically acclaimed author of the Taken trilogy.

After receiving a distress call from a drill team on a distant planet, a skeleton crew is sent into deep space to perform
Published July 24th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Contagion, please sign up.
Megan Two of the main characters, Nova and Dylan had a one night stand that is mentioned only briefly and gives no descriptive details. It's obvious…moreTwo of the main characters, Nova and Dylan had a one night stand that is mentioned only briefly and gives no descriptive details. It's obvious throughout the novel that Nova has more than professional feelings for Dylan, but nothing of a romantic nature occurs.
It was a really good novel, in my opinion. I cannot wait for the sequel, although it's apparently not due out until next year.
But if you can stand the tortuous wait for the second novel, you definitely should read it.(less)
OroumonSol Well, the short answer is (as I have conceived it from both of my parents who are doctors) if someone's heart is not active for, say, 10 seconds,…moreWell, the short answer is (as I have conceived it from both of my parents who are doctors) if someone's heart is not active for, say, 10 seconds, mouth-to-mouth ?can? properly revitalize someone, and getting electrocuted is not different. Again, I think...(less)

Elise (TheBookishActress)
I am quite sure this will work perfectly for a certain kind of reader. Contagion is a very, very fast-paced sci-fi horror novel about a plague and several deaths. As such, this might be good for fans of fast-paced scifi like Heart of Iron, or maybe more suspenseful scifi like The Loneliest Girl in the Universe. But it didn’t give me the same punch I wanted, and that cliffhanger ending on what is essentially a thriller just does not work for me.

I’m tired and behind on reviews, so here’s a quick
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Contagion ★★★★★
#2 Immunity ★★★★☆

I am a huge fan of sci-fi/horror mash-up stories, whether they’re in books, film, whatever, and after how much I enjoyed Erin Bowman’s Vengeance Road duology last year, I knew I had to check this out! It was one of my most anticipated releases of 2018, but I was also a little bit nervous because I wasn’t 100% sure whether Erin’s writing would translate as well to this setting.

It got in us and most are dead. Decklan flew for help. Don’t trust the kid.

Thankfu
joanna ☽ the little brown fairy
Firstly: I can’t wait for 2019. The sequel for this is going to be amazing. I can already feel it.

This was honestly such a fantastic, gripping story; it kept me up reading all night, even though I knew what the consequences would be in the morning. (They were not pretty consequences.) It’s one of those rare books that steals your breath and holds you so tightly that you’re afraid to tear your eyes away from the pages even for a second.

You can read my full review here on starburnt reads!
“IT GOT
Erin Bowman
Dec 06, 2016 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
Contagion will be my next book after Retribution Rails and it couldn't be more different. This tends to be a trend of mine; I write in one genre and then follow it up with something polar opposite. I'm currently in the middle of a major revision, but let me get a few frequently asked questions out of the way:

The current description is really vague. Who are these two teens?
Thea Sadik, an ambitious seventeen-year-old with a love for science, and Nova Singh, a high-school dropout with piloting expe
megs_bookrack
**4.5-stars**

OHHHH BABY!!!

What a great cliffhanger ending!

I am so damn glad I already own the sequel. I need to be picking that up ASAP.

Full review to come...stay tuned!!!
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I’m not sure why I didn’t realize this when I started the novel, but this is the first of a duology. After I finished this and realize there would be a sequel, I was bummed. There is just something about a solid standalone YA sci-fi/horror novel that sounded like exactly what I needed, but clearly I was wrong about the standalone part. Anyway, now you know there’s a sequel, so no disappointment for you.

Set in the future, where humans have colonized on planets out in space and the discovery of a
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Follow the bloody footprints, they said. What could go wrong, they said." Quite a lot apparently. 😂

4.25/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐.25

description

Favorite Quotes:

"Numbers and data made sense, but people were impossible."

"Impossible is just an excuse not to try," Nova said. "You break it down into little steps, and then it becomes a bunch of things you can tackle. Possible things."

Pros:

❇Normally when I see "recommended for fans of-" blurbed, or mentioned while describing a new release I find that to be a huge turnoff, be
Jodi Meadows
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CONTAGION perfectly toes the line between science fiction thriller and horror. I couldn't stop reading.
Kat
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2, favorites
This is SUPER well-written, a sci-fi zombie story set in space where a rescue crew is sent to investigate a drill site that has sent a distress call. This site is located two MONTHS away by hyper-space, and they’re the closest crew, so you get a real sense of the isolation. It’s set on a barren, violent-weather-tortured rock and as soon as the crew gets there they can tell something is Not. Right.

The pacing is amazing, both the sense of suspense and “what the heck is going on here?” as the crew
Stacee
I was insane with excitement when I read this synopsis as it has everything I love: mass infection and possible zombies. Sadly I was disappointed.

My main complaint about this book is the multiple POVs. There are several — more than what is necessary, in my opinion — and because of that, I didn’t get to know any of the characters. Everyone felt shallow. The minor details we did get wasn’t enough to make me root for anyone.

Plot wise it was okay. The first 40% or so of the story is dry and boring
Yodamom
Funtastic space horror, fun times, so many die, the bodies piled high. Intense action, mystery, and more dead bodies. Don't love any of them, they may be dead on the next page. You have been warned.
Seriously, this was a good read for me. I loved reading it, I even read it slow in bits because I needed to step back and reflect (relax) on what I just read. I ordered book 2 before I even finished this one.
Adah Udechukwu
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every moment of Contagion. I'm sure book 2 will be as great as book 1
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
3.5 stars...

I loved Bowan's other series so I was expecting to really like this one too. I tried several times though to listen to the audiobook and couldn't get into the narrator so I ended up just reading it. It was fairly entertaining once I finally got into it which actually happened when Coen came into the picture. He was definitely my favorite character of the bunch.

Even though this book didn't produce any overwhelming emotions or anything from me, I'm dying to read the next book just to
Hollis
I was so so excited to dive into CONTAGION because I enjoyed Bowman's Vengeance Road series, so I was familiar with her writing, and I am so here for more good YA sci-fi. Throw in some horror and creep factor of a virus that has taken over a space station and the rescue crew hired to investigate? I'm trash for it.

But it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Why? Because half the characters are either dumb or unlikeable. I was more or less fine with the plot, it was at turns thrilling and eeri
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/08/04/...

Contagion by Erin Bowman stars the ragtag crew of the Odyssey, a mining ship that responds to an SOS at a seemingly deserted base on a remote planet. Led by their determined by green captain Dylan Lowe, the team immediately begins searching for survivors but instead find a pile of dead bodies. The ship’s doctor, microbiologist Dr. Lisbeth Tarlow appears baffled at the cause of all the death and carnage, but her seventeen-y
Montzalee Wittmann
Contagion by Erin Bowman is an audible book I picked up from the library. I fell in love with this intriguing take right away. I like a good mystery mixed with my science fiction, throw in a deadly unknown killing factor, people who may not be what or who they say they are, crooked business or governments, and lots of suspense and that is my mind of book! This is all that and more!
The narration complements the book perfectly too! Really made the book that much better! Tremendous job one voices,
Erin
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the very moment I laid eyes on the premise of this story, I knew it was going to be a good read! A mixture of horror and spacey sci-fi was just what I was looking for, and in return, I got a whole lot more than I initially anticipated.

Contagion starts with a bang and keeps going with a quick and unrelenting pace right up until the finale! It is non-stop action from the get go, and even the slower moments are just a way to pause before building up the thrill and suspense again.

Very easy to
Ashley (pawingthroughpages)
I will say the beginning was a little confusing and it was too many characters to keep tabs of. Progressively this did get easier to track what was going on and kept me engaged. I will continue with the concluding book next year!
Justine
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read

I found this pretty enjoyable overall. It's fast paced with a lot of action. I agree with the critique that the story feels somewhat derivative, but that didn't keep me from being reasonably engaged.

What I didn't like was how over-the-top the Captain was, and this is what brought the rating down for me. The whole situation was dangerous and tense, so there wasn't much need to have the character in charge also be irresponsible and foolish with the lives of her subordinates to make things
Gigi H
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars (rounded up)

This was like Guardians Of The Galaxy meets The Walking Dead. Except everyone on the ship is human.

I'm a newbie to reading Sci-Fi and after the last 2 tragic DNF's (The Luminous Dead & Aurora Rising), I was starting to lose faith in the genre. But this..It kept me up all hours of the night reading!

I really enjoyed the alternating timelines and POV's. The last 30% of the book was an intense ride. I had the same adrenaline rush as when I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

T
Hillary
Mar 09, 2019 marked it as dnf-zone  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
DNF 11% | 09/03/19

This is my third dnf of the month and I don’t know if I should worry about a reading slump coming or if it’s just bad luck in picking books to read.

This was just not for me. The first bit (prologue?) grabbed my attention, but 2 pages into the real first chapter I realized already that I didn’t like the writing style. But I kept going. Some pages after that I noticed the confusing and sudden switching of points of view, of which I learned there are a freaking lot. Though, the ki
Amanda
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, sci-fi, horror
As I was reading Contagion I kept thinking that this would make a much more interesting movie than it does a book. It feels very much like a horror movie you would see on the big screen. It has space ships, a distant inhospitable planet, zombies, and dumb characters with no damn sense. Reading this story rather than watching it made it harder to follow. I’m not really making sense here. The point I’m trying to make is that this is an incredibly visual story so telling it without visuals doesn’t ...more
Lindsay
An exceptionally derivative science fiction horror story.

On the distant planet of Achlys the Black Quarry mining crew has sent an SOS which is received by its parent company. Odyssey, a small ship and crew, is sent to investigate with larger backup not far behind. When the ship gets to Achlys, it becomes apparent that there's been a disaster at the Black Quarry site, on the huge research ship Celestial Envoy and the rest of the planet. The team do find a survivor, but only shortly after finding
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
When a distress call comes out from a lone planet in the far reaches of space, only one drilling team can respond in time—but soon the occupants realize that their captain has an ulterior motive for responding so fast. And one of their crew holds a deadly secret about the planet Alchys.

This was creepy as hell and a thrill a minute and I really enjoyed it!

I think the biggest enjoyment was that there was no romance bogging down the plot (there's a hint of potential, but thankfully the heavy use of
Veronique
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stars-4-0, 2019
3.75*

This YA-scifi-horror novel turned out to be a fun and very easy read. From the beginning, you cannot help yourself making parallels with Aliens (second film): a disparate crew is re-directed to investigate an SOS message from a mining crew on a fringe planet. Naturally, when they get there, they find the quarry site abandoned, that is until they stumble on the first dead body...

The characters also echoed stereotypes we’ve seen in many films. And yet, I couldn’t help being entertained watchi
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
Really enjoyed this one! I’ve been craving sci-fi’s and this so hit the spot!

I hope to get a copy of immunity soon because I can’t wait to see what happens next!
Ashlee » Library In The Country
This book was so cool and is the sci-if thriller I hoped it would be!

If you loved the Illuminae files (particularly Gemina), Alien, Life and Even Horizon I highly recommend this!

RTC!
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
Review Originally Posted On The Sassy Book Geek

****Thank you to HarperTeen for providing me with a copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review****

Prepare for a 100% gushing review because this book was perfection! I was blown away by how amazing and addictive this story was, I literally could not put it down! I cannot wait for the sequel now and if you’re a fan of sci-fi horror I definitely recommend checking this one out.

Also just a quick sort of side note here: this is very differen
Nara
Contagion fits in that nice little YA scifi horror niche that I'm sure there are many fans of. I actually really love this type of story where the protagonists need to find the mystery of some sort of disease or a weird alien species and stop it before everyone in the crew dies.

I thought Bowman did an excellent job of pacing out the story so that you are kept on the edge of your seat throughout the entire novel. It does start of quite slowly, building up to that point where you know something ho
Alaina
I NEED TO READ BOOK TWO ASAP!

Contagion was so freaking good! I've been wanting to read this for a while so when I got the chance to get the audio - I didn't hesitate one freaking bit! It was so good guys! I can't believe I waited so long to dive into it.

I will admit thought that beginning was a little rough patch for me. With all the info dumping and ya know.. being bored out of mind - I almost pressed paused and dove into another book. YET, I didn't because I was lazy and had no idea what I wan

• The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Sanctuary, #1)
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • Devils Unto Dust
  • Rewind (Rewind #1)
  • Drop by Drop (Step by Step, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Hullmetal Girls
  • The Chosen (Contender, #1)
  • This Splintered Silence
  • Mars One
  • Rebel Seoul (Rebel Seoul, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Ignite the Stars (Ignite the Stars, #1)
  • You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
Erin Bowman is the critically acclaimed author of numerous books for teens, including the Taken Trilogy, Vengeance Road, Retribution Rails, and the Edgar Award-nominated Contagion duology. A web designer turned author, Erin has always been invested in telling stories—both visually and with words. When not writing, she can often be found hiking, commenting on good typography, and obsessing over all ...more

Contagion (2 books)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
“A word of advice: never get involved with your boss,” her cousin went on. “Murky waters. Tragic endings.” 0 likes