Start by marking “Hopeful” as Want to Read:
Hopeful

Hopeful

A long time ago, Joel Wentworth told me he’d love me for infinity . . . and I can’t give up hope that it might have been true.

How long does it take to get over your first love?

Eight years should be long enough. My mind knows that, but there’s no convincing my heart.

Guys like Joel weren't supposed to fall for girls like me. He had his pick of women at University, but someh
348 pages
Published (first published July 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hopeful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hopeful

Start your review of Hopeful
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

Enjoyable read. :) This heroine, however, was testing my patience. As in, I kept waiting for explanation of why exactly she was the way she was. And I don't think that at the end I really understood her. Oh well :D

Flashbacks to college days were very enjoyable. For those who like love stories about couples getting reunited years later, this one might be for you!
Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Louise Bay
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I LOVE this story (I would say that wouldn't I?) but I truly do. I had a hangover from my own book!
.Under the pages
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, 4-stars
Ava is a law student at the same university where Joel is studying to be an economist. Both work hard for what they want in life which makes every moment they have together in the library worth it (in both ways!). And, although Ava is afraid of what people might say when they know Joel is with a girl like her, they date until their time in the university ends and they encounter different paths ahead of them.
Now, eight years later, they meet again! And Ava doesn’t want him to think she’s still hu
ThatSpectacledPanda
I feel scared to write this. This is my first review on Goodreads, and the only reason I even started typing this out is because of my utter shock at seeing the high ratings this book got here.
Joel was lovable. Macho. Alpha. Jealous. Direct. Always clear about his love for her.
and Ava was just the opposite. She claims to have loved him in the past and the present, with a gap of 8 years between these two times. But actions speak louder than words is the motto here.
She never revealed her relatio
Palabasalibro
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh My G! I think I got so lucky this week. Because all the books I’ve read so far managed to get3-5 star reviews from me. Surprisingly, most of the books I’ve reviewed got a 5! Hopeful isn’t an exception.

Hopeful contains contain chapters including the epilogue. It was told in the POV of Ava Elliot and it alternates between the Present and the Past. I loved how the story was told because it kept me at a pace which left me torn as to what I should do? I wanted to just skip the other chapters just

seton
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to seton by: AMZN
Shelves: h-needs-to-die
Genre: contemp romance
Series: spin-off of Faithful but can be read stand alone
Cliffy? No.

I liked it okay, but the heroine was a real pill and pretty unlikable. You wonder what the dude really saw in her. She was a crappy friend, too. Hard to believe the h was a lawyer because there are 5 year olds with more maturity than her.

The story goes back and forth between the past and present and it was totally not needed. I usually like that writing structure but not when done by an amateur.

Altho not as
Jenny
This book infuriated me on so many aspects.

Who the heck cares what your friends would think about your past or present love of your life? Who the heck cares sits backs and watches her "best friend" make the moves on the man she's loved and is finally seeing again after eight years????

GAH!! I wanted to shake Ava and kick Joel for taking her back after the torture she put him through.

NO BUENO!!!
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover by: Mix
🌟🌟4 Infinity Stars!🌟🌟

I so enjoyed this second chance love story! This is a modern day version of Persuasion that I’ve been meaning to read for a while and I’m glad I finally did. It was a bit frustrating at times, but the romance between Joel and Ava was beautiful. You could feel their love and chemistry coming off the pages. Definitely recommend it!
Gwen ~the Book Diva
4.5 stars! It gave me the good ache!

*ARC provided to G the Book Diva blog in exchange for an honest review*

Holy Hotness! Could Joel be any sexier! I mean really, Ava?! How could she even think about letting him get away!

Ava and Joel were basically acquaintances/ friends of friends until their last year of college. They start off as study buddies and eventually give into the electricity buzzing between them. The group of friends they hang with have issues with topic boundaries and Ava is terrif
Jess☺️
Hopeful by Louise bay is a slightly naughty quick easy read for filling an afternoon.
If you like a easy romance about first time loves reappearing then you will like this.
I don't make a habit for reading romance but I like to throw one in every now and again and I did enjoy this one.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4.5 STARS

Review copy provided for an honest review

After really enjoying author Louise Bay’s debut novel Faithful, I had high hopes for Hopeful and I was not disappointed. This book had just a little bit more than the first one; there was more of an emotional connection, the characters were developed more, there was more from amazing secondary characters, and their sexy times were more intimate. I love seeing growth in a writer and it was real
Stephanie
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
I received this book in exchange for an honest review and I am so thankful I did. I had not read anything by Ms. Bay before. But I so loved this book!!! There are many characters in here that you will fall in love with. But Joel and Ava stole my heart, and there were many times I wanted to shake her by the shoulders and talk some sense into her. There is a lot of angst that occurs in this book and I couldn't wait to see how this love story played out.

"You'll heal and you'll find another love. I
Cocktails and Books
4.5 Cocktails

I've been on a reading binge lately with hot, sexy British heroes. And HOPEFUL was one that was an absolute delight and had me wishing for a bit more of Joel Wentworth. There were so many things that I loved about the story. The second chance romance, the angst of Ava and Joel seeing each other again and the friendship between the group of friends. The author creates such a fabulous story and characters that you can't help but fall totally into the story and the romance.

Ava and Joel
KFForever
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIVE FABULOUS STARS

Kindle Friends Forever

I was very pleased to be reading Hopeful for an honest review as I had already read the previous story Faithful.

The story centres around Joel Wentworth and Ava Elliot and flits from present day to past. Why you may ask? Well, Ava is a successful lawyer and has been a workaholic for the past eight years since leaving University. She hasn't been on the dating scene and her friends since University keep reminding her she needs to get back out there. They als
Gogol
Apr 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was evidently inspired by Persuasion, by Jane Austen, and then modernised and rehashed in an exceedingly sloppy and superficial way.
I skimmed it all, but all the main points of similarity with persuasion were there: the surname of the hero, Wentworth, the heroine having to watch another girl pursue the hero, the heroine overhearing the hero commenting about how much she’d aged since he’d seen her last, the heroine refusing to go with the hero because of the opposition of her parents, t
Page Turning Book Junkie
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
*ARC provided for honest review* For your next fix: http://www.pageturningbookjunkie.blog...

4.5 out of 5 Emotional, Heart Palpitating, Hopeful Stars!

[image error] photo Hopefulteaser_zpsba620404.jpeg

I got to say BRAVO to the second installment to this series and a tip of my imaginary top hat to you, Louise Bay! I have been trying to pin point exactly why this book really did it for me, but it's not really just one thing, it's everything wrapped together in one awesome and delicious book. I really connected with the characters and t
Christina
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2014
Complimentary copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Ava is a part of a big group of friends that have all been together since their college days. They are now all approaching thirty and the dynamics of the group are starting to change. They’re either pairing off with other members of the group or finding others outside of the group, just making their social group bigger. It is at a party for one of the friend’s birthday that Ava’s world tilts on its axis. She finds out tha
Blue

I was lured into reading this book cos the blurb sounded like it was right up my alley but the execution and delivery of it was just crap. Ava is pretty much still hung up on Joel even 8 years later and she tries to get over him even more so with his return back in her life, but really only half-assedly doing so. I experienced so much second-hand embarrassment and cringe from Ava, it's not even funny. Look, fine- I get that love blinds you and everything rational be darned, but she was quite a h
Jamie Hamaker
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, I want to thank author Louise Bay for an advanced copy of her latest book in exchange for an honest review. As this is will be my second review of her writing, I am honored to review yet another amazing book by her and only wish her the best and cannot wait to read more.

From the beginning you are introduced to the main characters Joel and Ava. You learn how their friendship grew into something much, much more. The chemistry and intensity going on between them through the whole book f
Tracey
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ava Elliot has a pretty good life. A law student at university, she's smart and studious, and has a tightly-knit group of friends that are like family. Joel Wentworth is the whole package. Not only intelligent, he is handsome, nice, and funny. Girls love him and guys want to be like him. Ava would never have thought that they had anything in common, let alone that they could fall in love with each other.

'Hopeful' is one of those 'happy accident' books for me, one that I knew absolutely nothing a
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades
I'm nothing special, never have been, never will be. But for a while Joel made me feel special. Then he left me and went to New York. That was 8 years ago, we haven't spoken a word in those 8 years. I've never gotten over Joel, now he's coming back to London...to stay.

Joel, Ava, Adam, Jules, Matt, Daniel, Leah and Hannah drifted through University together, and stayed very close in the years after, Joel being the only to move away. Joel and Adam were the notorious playboys, hooking up with a ne
Karen Lee
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ava has had the same group of five friends for over 10 years. Having lived together at the university, they have all remained close as the years passed. There was one friend who went to New York to start a career, and everyone is gathering to welcome him back to London. The lost love of Ava’s life, Joel is returning.
Ava has worked long, hard hours to get to the professional level she is at. A lawyer who works the hours as she has is bound to do well. What her friends didn’t know, is that the re
Heather
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started Hopeful and realized that it was going to go back and forth from past to present every other chapter, I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel. Then I realized what was wrong was that I was too impatient, or appreciation for delayed gratification. :) I wanted to know what had happened in the past so badly that I was getting frustrated having to wait.

I was completely absorbed in the book, going from what happened before to what was happening now to what happened before, but I just wan
Ashley S.
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the fourth book I've read by Louise Bay in two days (crazy, I know) and I loved it. Apparently, when I find an author I like, I just can't get enough! Hopeful is a story about just that - being hopeful in life; in love; in everything. In this book, we follow the story of Joel and Ava, but this is unlike any other book that I've read because we flip back and forth constantly from "past" to "present." This is all in a span of about eight years. Eight long years that our H and h haven't see ...more
Heather
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Louise Bay is one of those who have challenged the tradition by self-publishing her novel, HOPEFUL. As she put the proverbial pen to paper, she went to the unusual step of chronicling her writing and publishing in a blog on her website. As a writer myself, I found it fascinating to see the steps and pitfalls she went through to get her book to where it is today.

Set in London, HOPEFUL is about Ava and Joel, two friends from university who become study partners and lovers. There’s a lot of emotio
Amy Beth
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deserves more than a 5 stars!

I was given an advance copy of Hopeful in return of an honest review.

Wow!!!! Louise you have taken my breath away with this story. Absolutely amazing!

Ava and Joal are the main characters of the story, both at university trying to do well. Ava is the more quiet and shy, Joal is the heartthrob "player".

Now everyone would love a piece of Joal he's hot, smart and funny. Ava and Joal become friends whilst studying everyday together in the library.

After a while of figh
Hooked On Books
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the beginning you are introduced to the main characters and find out about how there friendship has grown. You also learn of Joel and Ava's friendship.
The author has done a great job writing this story in the present and past with such a. Great flow.
I really enjoyed seeing Ava grow more confident and choosing something for her and not worrying about what everyone else thinks and trying to approve.

But will lt be enough for Joel to give her another shot?

I finished this book in only a coupl
Bewaji
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Joel in this book and my heart breaks for him. Ava is a great girl but I find her weak sometimes. It is that weakness that drove her and Joel apart for eight years. Even though this is supposed to be a YA, it is superbly written. Unlike some books in this genre, there was no cheating and no significant other to put an obstacle in the path of Joel and Ava`s reunion.

The author used the present-past narrative superbly. It was not a throw off at all. I will sure read more books by this author
Lindsay
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book! I am not a huge fan of the back and forth from past to present but the author did a great job with it and made it more tolerable! Great book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Instant Gratification (Always Satisfied #2)
  • Bloom
  • Just One Year
  • Ruthless
  • Overnight Service (Always Satisfied, #4)
  • Never Have I Ever (Always Satisfied #3)
  • The Family Journal
  • Sex and Other Shiny Objects (Boyfriend Material #2)
  • Times Square
  • Doctor Dearest
  • Sure Thing (Best Laid Plans, #1)
  • The One Night Stand Bundle: The Entire One Night Stand Series
  • Special Delivery (Always Satisfied #5)
  • Four Week Fiance Boxset (Four Week Fiancé, #1-2)
  • My Favorite Souvenir
  • My Skylar
  • Asking For a Friend (Boyfriend Material #1)
  • Inappropriate
USA Today bestselling author, Louise Bay writes sexy, contemporary romance novels - the kind she likes to read. Her next release will be Mr. Knightsbridge on July 7th.

Ruined by bonk-busters and sexy mini-series of the eighties Louise loves all things sexy and romantic. There's not enough of it in real life so she disappears into the fictional worlds in books and films.

Louise loves the rain, the We

News & Interviews

“You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever.” Jane Austen, Persuasion” 0 likes