Start by marking “This Splintered Silence” as Want to Read:
This Splintered Silence

This Splintered Silence

Lindley Hamilton has been the leader of the space station Lusca since every first-generation crew member on board, including her mother, the commander, were killed by a deadly virus.

Lindley always assumed shed captain the Lusca one day, but she never thought that day would come so soon. And she never thought it would be like thisstruggling to survive every day, learning
Published November 13th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about This Splintered Silence, please sign up.
Kayla Thanks so much, Belle! This one is an unrelated standalone with no connection to The Sandcastle Empirecan't wait to share more details soon! <3…moreThanks so much, Belle! This one is an unrelated standalone with no connection to The Sandcastle Empire—can't wait to share more details soon! <3(less)

Start your review of This Splintered Silence
 Amelia
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Before I start with the review, can I just say that this whole situation reminded me a bit of The 100? The MC is a strong girl who has to become a leader because there are no adults around and she has to make all sorts of tough choices - sometimes she's right, sometimes she's not - and she has a close circle of friends who help her, but don't always agree with her. Clarke is that you?

And yes, of course this review will only contain The 100 GIFs because I'm dedicated like that.

First of all,
Rebecca McNutt
I'm not a big science fiction reader, but since This Splintered Silence featured elements of the mystery and thriller genres in it, I thought it might be an interesting read. It definitely was, and Olson's ability to evoke sympathy for her characters and give them more emotional depth than what I find typical in sc-fi made it even more intriguing to me. The romance aspect sort of took away from the plot itself, I found, but still gave the book another layer to the story.

I did find the book very
Peachy
"I think most things begin to fracture without anyone realizing its even happening, a sort of splintered silence that gives way all at once under too much weight, and without warning."

Themes: survival, friendships, relationships, growing up together, evolving bonds, science, technology, space station, leadership, stepping up, grief, trust, asking for help, virus, mutation, murder, contagion, space, stress, pressure

Nothing quite like what I expected, This Splintered Silence is a surprising mix of
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
2.5 stars...

Waaayy too much of Lindley feeling sorry for herself, whining and running away, hiding out to get it away from it all. She spent more time doing that then anything else. If the author would have cut at least half of that needless, self-reflection crap out and focused on the actual story, it would have been a decent book.
Faye, la Patata
First book read this year, and it was quite an underwhelming read.

Unfortunately, I didn't get too invested in it so I probably won't be giving a hardcore, gif-infested, raging review, but here's basically it:

BOOOORIIIIIIIING.

I'm not sure if it was simply the writing, or if it's just the main character's voice that kept repeating their sentiments with the same words in different patterns every time. You know, when they feel this ONE SPECIFIC THING, but they just had to go about it dramatically
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
↠ 3.5 stars

This book cuts cleanly two ways for me. The first 50% I wasn't a fan of, but the second 50% was really quite good. Frankly, the first half was a little too slow-paced for a thriller, but once past halfway the book did catch my interest. And I never did suss out the culprit until the actual end (and found many people suspicious), so I did think that was done well.

The comp title of Illuminae did feel slightly accurate, though it lacked the same gripping intensity (and amazing AI)
Emily Murphy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeously written, tautly plotted thriller. I inhaled this book and relished the twists and turns it took. I love the way This Splintered Silence weaves science, technology, grief, panic, and the nuance of human relationship into a tightly woven web--and an ending I never saw coming.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

3.5*

This was quite a fun book! While not perfect, I found it to be quite enjoyable and I was certainly invested in the mystery aspect of the story. Let's break it down into likes/dislikes, because I cannot really talk about the plot too much for fear of spoiling!

The Stuff I Liked:

It was incredibly entertaining. Despite any other flaws, I just plain really liked the story. Is it
Gillian
Aug 03, 2019 marked it as dnf-zone  ·  review of another edition
I barely had issues with writing styles whenever I read a book, but this is so unbearable. My god! Four chapters in and I'm already rolling my eyes. "Linds"he's the only one allowed to call me that, and everyone knows it" I mean ??????? I think this line is enough for me to DNF it. ...more
♠ TABI ♠
Another book about a young girl trapped in a sudden position of loneliness and leadership on a ship hurtling through the dark vacuum of space???

description
Amber (Books of Amber)
Sep 08, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
I didn't finish this book because I didn't like the writing style. Every sentence was so horribly dramatic. You know that character in Inside Out who says "I would die for Riley" in THAT voice? It was like that. Every. Single. Sentence.
Vicky Who Reads
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
4 stars

The Sandcastle Empire was one of my favorite reads from last year--an action-packed read full of deadly situations in a unique setting.

And This Splintered Silence did not disappoint, with its cast of characters who you doubt every step of the way and a main character struggling to maintain captainship of the spaceship, you're definitely invested in what's going on with these teens in space.

I mean, they're going through a whole lot with all of their parents dying and having to control 80
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star

I had such high hopes for this book, but sadly I was disappointed. It's got great reviews, too, so looks like I was the black sheep yet again *shrugs*

Mostly I was bored. The mystery of not knowing why people were dying kept me going, but I found the plot and the book overall to be very dull. The prose was choppy and awkward and I had trouble getting into it. We are given ZERO description whatsoever, so I had trouble picturing the setting or any of the characters. They're in space. That's about
Lindsay
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Carlie Sorosiak
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ooooooooh my goodness, y'all. Please prepare yourselves for this book, because it's going to absolutely blow your mind.
Jackie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, sci-fi, 2018-reads
* 3.5 stars *

A book I wanted to love ended up being a murder mystery Im not sure I buy but overall it wasnt a bad novel.

This Splintered Silence begins at the end of a contagion that took the lives of the first generation of those who made the jump from Earth to space leaving behind a community of children to take the reins when a sudden death of one of their own with eerie similarities to the original plague threatens to unravel an already fragile social order as those in charge are forced to
Julia
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-current, ya
3.5 stars. I think most of my issues with this book come from the odd framing of it. We never get to see any kind of "normal" on the ship, and all of the plague that happened is dispassionately summed up to us in the first couple of pages. Since we have no baseline for how these characters interact when they're not dealing with all of this stuff, their relationships feel shallow and don't make sense. We're told several times that the core group of 4 were really great friends, and we see some of ...more
trufflebooks
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
3.75/5 ⭐. Great thriller, full RTC once I've got my writing mojo back x
Mary
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
dnf @ page 90-ish
it pains me, but despite the premise of this being hella interesting and the lovely writing at times, i just have... no... desire... to return to this. I stopped reading last year in April. That's April 2019. It's January 2020. It's time to admit that I'm not going to finish this lol.
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Thriller, Mystery
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Kayla Olson's This Splintered Silence is her follow-up to the novel The Sandcastle Empire. This is a story that is a mixture of science fiction and mystery. 17-year old Lindley Hamilton is the Commander of the station called Lusca. Lindley leads a group of second generation survivors who lived while the adults on the station died of a deadly pathogen. Learning how to keep the space station running, figuring out how to
Ann Tamimi
Laura Holt
"I think most things begin to fracture without anyone realizing it's happening, a sort of splintered silence that gives way all at once."
What's the last book that kept you up at night? For me, it was This Splintered Silence by Kayla Olson! This book was, in a word, phenomenal. It had so many twists and turns that I couldn't tell which way was up and which way was down! Needless to say, the ending completely took me by surprise. Plus, Kayla's writing is stark and fresh, with the kind of perfect
Kath (Read Forevermore)
An arc of this book was sent to me by Harper Collins and Kayla Olson for a book tour. All thoughts and opinions on this book are honest and my own.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Beautifully written, engaging and character driven book. This book is a perfect mix of science fiction, romance, thriller, and suspense. The prose of this book was just so beautiful and natural, and it brought the development of this story so perfectly! It was perfectly paced, and I found myself devouring this book real quickly.
Shijia
Aug 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated
RANT ALERT!!! Can this book just vanish out of existence? Please?

ZERO STARS.

honestly, this book is everything I worry I never have to read in a story that I anticipated SO SO MUCH. A disease in space where all the adults are dead- sounds cool right? WRONG!!!

The taste of disappointment is truly bitter. This book was trying to be an epic and poetic space opera about leadership and ya know the usual group of misfits who were now in control of an entire spaceship...

Here are all the things wrong
Jennie Shaw
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've been looking forward to THIS SPLINTERED SILENCE since I first heard of it. As a fan Kayla Olson's debut, I was extra psyched because books set in space have a special place in my heart.

The YA market has blended quite a bit into the adult market, and I'm happy report that THIS SPLINTERED SILENCE was, most definitely, a book written for teens. Lindley's decision making process reminded me a lot of my younger years, where immediacy trumps all. By that, I mean that every problem feels like an
Shelly
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, harper
*4.5 stars*
I really liked this one! The main character was so well developed and the writing/plot was so gripping.
Dreximgirl
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. Space science fiction mystery drama with interesting characters and definitely a story which keeps you guessing. Very good and highly recommend.
Jessie_Book
Sep 26, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
Guessed who the murder was in under 100 pages.
Kelly Chaplin
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

My heart is still pounding.

When Lindley steps up to take command of the remaining survivors on her ship after an extremely contagious virus wipes out the adults, I couldn't help but be proud. Score one for teenagers.

It was quite an interesting ride, trying to guess what was happening (and trust me, there is a LOT happening), I can't even begin to understand how these tough teens pulled it off. And, I think that's part of the problem I had with this book, that everything that
Celia McMahon
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for a chance to review this title

This book thrusts you into a virus-ridden space station commanded by seventeen-year-old Lindley who is forced into the position after the adults are killed off. This book was fun and exciting and I shall break it down for you.

I really liked the mystery of the story. We've got this virus which may or may not is killing the second generation crew aboard the station. BUUUUUUUT we don't know if it's the virus. It could be
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Literally Leander: Final Thoughts - October 2 5 Nov 05, 2019 03:27PM
Literally Leander: First Impressions - October 3 6 Aug 31, 2019 04:33PM

• Monsters
  • Only the Ocean
  • Stolen Time (Dark Stars, #1)
  • The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent, #1)
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • The Hand, the Eye and the Heart
  • The Quiet at the End of the World
  • Perfectly Preventable Deaths
  • Fire & Heist
  • The Disasters
  • Heartstream
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • The Light Between Worlds
  • The Pure Heart
  • Contagion (Contagion, #1)
  • The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • Under a Dancing Star
  • Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
Kayla Olson lives in Texas, and can usually be found in near proximity to black coffee, the darkest chocolate, Scrivener, and an army of Sharpie highlighters.

Latest book news:
THE SANDCASTLE EMPIRE was recently optioned for film by Paramount, with Leonardo DiCaprio/Appian Way producing.

Internationally, THE SANDCASTLE EMPIRE is slated to hit shelves in Italy, France, Turkey, Spain, Denmark,