Start by marking “Stay True: Short Stories for Strong Girls” as Want to Read:
Stay True: Short Stories for Strong Girls

Stay True: Short Stories for Strong Girls

Featuring strong girl heroines and just in time for Women's History Month, these stories explore important coming-of-age themes with a refreshing mix of humor and seriousness. Authors contributing to this all-original collection include Norma Fox Mazer, Rita Williams-Garcia, and M.E. Kerr.
Published March 1st 1999 by Scholastic (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Stay True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay True

Start your review of Stay True: Short Stories for Strong Girls
Isabel
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
this book was great to read because you could read one story and then do other things and then come back to the same book but this time it would be different because of the different story. i liked this book because these stories were so different from ones that i normally read. they were about girls aspiring to do what they are told not to do, what they don't like. not that i don't read books like this but not from the same aspect as these stories have been told. Stay True: short stories for ...more
Shakari
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Now that I have completed this book, I can tell that the characters were brought to life. Each character had a different situation, and they may or may not have gone through it positively. For example, when a character wants to to an engineer, and her guardian does not approve it. Each character was also different than what would happen in real life. The would not always be a happy ending, and that's what I liked about the character structure.

I wish that the stories would be slightly longer to
Nicole
May 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Pretty good. I didn't care for only 3/11 of the stories.

The best was "Building Bridges" by Andrea Davis Pinkney. It's about a black teenager who wants to become an engineer and design buildings. Her grandmother (who is raising her) has other ideas for her future, thinking that engineering is 'white mans' work.' It was just really good.

The funniest was "The Statue of Liberty Factory" by Jennifer Armstrong. A teenager, in the 1970s, on the front lawn protesting a decision her parents made. Pretty
Molly
Oct 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-and-teen
I've spent my fall struggling to balance: reading for an intense British and Western Literature course and desperately searching for stories designed to appeal to struggling readers and writers. This is a lovely anthology, but designed for more the average reader as opposed to kids who need some action, some gore, some kind of hook beyond the difficulty of everyday life. Recommended for teachers of regular freshmen--these stories are highly teachable, but do not contain the kind of octane I am ...more
Sita Whitaker
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reading
"Her dreams are often rich in other totally unsuitable and unwanted types." Stay True is my favorite book of short stories that I've ever read! Of course my favorite story was Going Fishing. I think every teen girl should read this book, or actually, really anyone at all. Stay True captures everything you want in a book of short stories. It's authentic, honest, dramatic and....true.
Lisa
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
A reasonably good anthology of short stories for girls. I particularly liked the story, "Building Bridges" by Andrea Davis Pinkney and found the story "The Statue of Liberty Factory" by Jennifer Armstrong to be entertaining. The rest didn't do much for me. I'm clearly not the target audience.
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the stories in this book. They were very inspirational and could very much be uplifting for girls going through a hard time. I had a good time reading this.
Juliana
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of short stories and I really enjoyed this book! I recommend it to girls my age.
Rachel
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorites:

'Guess Who's Back in Town, Dear?'

'The Transformations of Cindy R.'

'The Magic Bow'
Kelly Holmes
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
What a great collection of stories for girls! My favorites were: The Transformations of Cindy R, The Statue of Liberty Factory, and Stay True.
Julia Bennett
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't finish it all, but a good read for young adult readers.
Dianna Baker
its pretty good every chapter is like a different story and they are all different I don't like the last chapter story its like hekka confusing i just did not like it
Amanda Cresse
Lauren
Jan 27, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • This Will Only Hurt a Little
  • The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
  • Prague Winter: A Personal Story of Remembrance and War, 1937-1948
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief (Sammy Keyes, #1)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)
  • Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Modern Romance
  • Daughter of Fortune
  • You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain
Marilyn Singer was born in the Bronx (New York City) on October 3, 1948 and lived most of her early life in N. Massapequa (Long Island), NY. She attended Queens College, City University of New York, and for her junior year, Reading University, England. She holds a B.A. in English from Queens and an M.A. in Communications from New York University.

In 1974, after teaching English in New York City