Start by marking “Every Moment Holy” as Want to Read:
Every Moment Holy

Every Moment Holy

EVERY MOMENT HOLY is a book of liturgies for the ordinary events of daily life--liturgies such as "A Liturgy for Feasting with Friends" or "A Liturgy for Laundering" or "A Liturgy for the First Hearthfire of the Season." These are ways of reminding us that our lives are shot through with sacred purpose even when, especially when, we are too busy or too caught up in our bus ...more
Published December 2017 by Rabbit Room Press

To ask other readers questions about Every Moment Holy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Moment Holy

Start your review of Every Moment Holy
Jonathan Watson
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This gives words to my heart when I don't have any of my own. I'm thankful for it.
Lisa
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When this book was first announced, I was honestly skeptical about its usefulness, especially since I come from a very not-liturgical background. Now, having read through it in its entirety and used a select few of the liturgies personally, I can fully, sincerely say it's wonderful. From a liturgy for the first snowfall (already used) to one for feasting with friends, these liturgies really point me upward toward Jesus, reminding me of the Creator and Lord of All instead of navel-gazing. Great b ...more
Gia
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Praise God, I'm not actually done with this book; I don't believe I ever will be.
As I grow old, the truth between its covers will remain true.
But it's still a book to grow old with.
Melody Schwarting
An excellent spiritual resource for every home.

Favored liturgies include:

Before Beginning a Book
Lament upon the Finishing of a Beloved Book
For a Husband & Wife at Start of Day/Close of Day
For a Fleeting Irritation

Of the many liturgies included, I particularly appreciate the thoughtfulness of the following:

For Domestic Days
For Leavings
For Those Facing th
Anne Harmon
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This was highly recommended by my pastor, so I came to it very (possibly too) excited and with high expectations. While I love the idea of having little liturgies for various parts of life, this didn't quite live up to my expectations. Several of the liturgies are extremely specific: "For the Keeping of Bees," "Before Taking the Stage," "For Those Experiencing Road Rage." Of course, many do not apply to my life but might be applicable to others: "For the Changing of Diapers" and "To M ...more
Jonathan Thomas
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book!
The book itself is bound and furnished for a splendid holding experience.
The illustrations and layout upon quality paper make the book a feast for the eyes.
The liturgies are far ranging, random at times, always Biblical, often incredibly insightful into the human heart and the application of the gospel.
Having read this book through, I will now aim to use it in life and ministry.
Very expensive...but worth EVERY penny!
Joel
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: one-of-a-kind
What a fantastic treasure of prayers and liturgies! It's not a sit down and read the whole things kind of book, but rather a have it nearby all the time kind of book.
Nicolette
A book full of beautiful liturgies and wonderful artwork.
Erin Moore
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful, beautiful, meaningful! Love this book.
Chris
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

I am excited today to introduce you to a beautiful and phenomenal resource, Every Moment Holy. The book is an excellent cross between John Baillie’s classic A Diary of Private Prayer and Tish Harrison Warren’s Liturgy Of the Ordinary. Andrew Peterson wrote the foreword for the book, which highlights some of his journey:

Several years ago some good friends gave me a book. The fact that they gave me a book and not a gift card is evidence of our friendship, be
Cindy Marsch
Dec 31, 2019 is currently reading it
This came in the mail as a mysterious gift just after Christmas. I have still to figure out who sent it to me and my husband--maybe a grateful student of his? I've been blessed already with contemplation of "A Liturgy for Those Who Have Not Done Great Things for God." The production values are high--it feels wonderful in the hand!
Bill Pence
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about the Doug McKelvey's fine book Every Moment Holy, Volume 1 when Andrew Peterson read a selection from it as he began his breakout session at the 2019 Sing! conference. Not long after, my wife gave me a copy of the liturgy "For the Loss of a Living Thing" after Molly, our fourteen-year-old Alaskan Malamute had died.
The book includes more than 100 liturgies for use in a number of different ways. Some are meant to be read by a "Leader" and the "People", as in a traditional litur
Esta Doutrich
These liturgies have been a lifeline this year. So thankful for this book.
Alyssa Cottrell
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Incredible. Now having read this through, I’m sure I’ll refer to it again and again.
Cbarrett
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a gift and its contents continue to give. Beautifully crafted book to help shape the mind and affections throughout the day and night. The art within advances the light.

Mike
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I received this as a gift but it will be a treasured part of my collection from now on. I decided to read all the way through it and I'm glad I did. There are some liturgies I can see myself likely never using (though life tends to surprise), but there are others I plan to come back to again and again. I've recently discovered liturgies and prayer books, and am loving the set schedule and rhythm they bring to life. So as my first book of liturgies, I hope it's not the last.

Some of my favor
Megan
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful work! The prayers are rich, deep, and full of Gospel truth and hope. I highly recommend this book for personal devotion or gatherings of Christians to read and meditate on the truth presented in these prayers (we've purchased 3 copies to give away so far). Reading these prayers helps to draw our attention back from the shadows of our frenetic world to the eternal weight, vision, and purpose endowed to our lives. Extremely relevant to today, these prayers will resonate with bo ...more
Joshua Coolman
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, favorites
I love everything about this book; the cover, the prints, the reflections, meditations and prayers. This ranks among my favorite things I have read in the past year because it has made me cry and because it has helped me say things that were already in my heart - but not remembered by my brain. I love the words written for coming to the ocean, for the beginning and ending of a good book (with thoughts and phrases echoing C.S. Lewis - and his image). I love the liturgies for beginnings and meals. ...more
Gail
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a gift from friends and we are grateful to them for sharing and gifting us with this gem. This is not a “read once, and discard” kind of book. This is a collection of liturgy or prayers that can be used both personally or in a group. When my spouse was out of town recently I loved “Before A Meal Eaten Alone” and as I often struggle with insomia “For Those Who Cannot Sleep”. I love how the author has taken ordinary moments both joyful and difficult and helped us turn our eyes to our ...more
Deitra
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This isn't the kind of book you read through and you finish. I haven't finished it but wanted to move it off my currently reading shelf because it is more the type of book you turn to when you don't know how to pray or you have a specific situation you would like a prayer for. His topics range from the everyday to the "in the moment" type. I'm enjoying it very much and often when I open the pages, I find just what i need.
Michelle Gourley
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous, a labor of craft and love and worship. I have used these liturgies over and over to pray, to comfort friends, to beat a path to the presence of the Lord. This one is not available through Amazon, etc, only through Rabbit Room Press but I promise you will not be sorry you went to extra efforts to make this book yours.
Kris Wood
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book! What the Psalms do for me in the Bible, "Every Moment Holy" does for me in deepening my devotional experience as I commune with God. I'm at once captured in the words and work of God, moment by moment. This is a book for all seasons and milestones. Beautifully bound and illustrated, it's a marvelous gift for weddings, graduations and anniversaries of all kinds.
Robby Eckard
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of great liturgies for every day life (as advertised), including some very unique situations (such as beekeeping). I was surprised at several seemingly obvious situations that were not included, such as "Upon the Birth of a Child" which would have been personally applicable this year. Perhaps a second volume would bring further completion to it.
Caroline
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This feels like an odd book to review because this is one I will be regularly picking up for reference. This is beautiful, important, and has honestly changed my prayer life. I clung to some of these prayers like a life raft during the early pandemic days, desperate for words and prayer. In some ways I hope to find myself in such need every day. This book leads so well, and so beautifully.
Jenn
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so in love with this book! There are parts of it I know that I'll simply have to memorize because they're too beautiful to simply leave on the page. I highly recommend it to everyone - whether you come from a liturgical background or not.
Rachel Bruce
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Next to my Bible, this is the devotional resource I reach for the most. Beautifully and thoughtfully written, lovingly illustrated, and carefully curated. Looking forward to more from McKelvey in the future. This is a desert isle keeper.
Chrystal
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful books I’ve ever read and/or owned. It will leave deep grooves in your soul and remind you of truth over and over again in the most beautiful way. It’s like a recalibration of the heart with each liturgy. Every home should have this in it. ❤️
Allison
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional-lit
A lovely book to have on hand. Filled with short, and fairly short, prayers for all sorts of life's events: from a cup of morning coffee, to finishing a good book, to loosing one's temper.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy-next
A new favorite- a collection of prayers, beautifully genuine and deep, and beautifully bound.
Sarah Thomas
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. There is so much thoughtfulness behind each word and each liturgy.

• Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • Handle with Care: How Jesus Redeems the Power of Touch in Life and Ministry
  • A Diary of Private Prayer
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)
  • Ember's End (The Green Ember, #4)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • The Storm-Tossed Family: How the Cross Reshapes the Home
  • The Book of Waking Up: Experiencing the Divine Love That Reorders a Life
  • The Light Princess
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
The remote descendant of Scottish horse-thieving ancestors, Douglas Kaine McKelvey has already bested the dubious achievements of his predecessors by penning five published books and penning lyrics for more than 250 songs recorded by a variety of artists including Kenny Rogers, Switchfoot, and Jason Gray.

Douglas is currently completing the manuscript for a YA sci-fi/fantasy novel and making slow

News & Interviews

“So let this disappointment do its work
My truest hopes have never failed
They have merely been buried
beneath the shoveled muck of disillusion
or encased in the carapace of self-serving desire.
It is only false hopes that are brittle, shattering like shells of thin glass to reveal the diamond hardness of the unshakeable eternal hopes within.
So shake and shatter all that would hinder my growth, O God.”
0 likes