Start by marking “The Backcountry Brides Collection: Eight 18th Century Women Seek Love on Colonial America’s Frontier” as Want to Read:

Love on Colonial America’s Frontier

Travel into Colonial America where nine women seek love, but they each know a future husband requires the necessary skills to survive in the backcountry. Living in areas exposed to nature’s ferocity, prone to Indian attack, and cut off from regular supplies, can hearts overcome the dangers to find lasting love?

Rooted in Love by C
Published May 1st 2018 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Backcountry Brides Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backcountry Brides Collection

Start your review of The Backcountry Brides Collection: Eight 18th Century Women Seek Love on Colonial America’s Frontier
Deanne Patterson
One things I can count on is the high quality stories I read in a Barbour Romance Collection. In the almost 20 years I've been reading them the authors have changed but not what I've come to expect in these works. I find high quality Christianfiction without worrying about finding swearing or compromising morals which some Christian publishers are now letting slip into what they turn out to publish. Thank you Barbour Books for staying true to your high quality standards!
Pub Date 01 May 2018
Thank
Regina
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Backcountry Brides Collection
Another amazing collection of stories that eight authors have compiled together. Each told in their own way. Strong women that face danger in 18th Century America, can they face love?

Shenandoah Hearts by Carrie Fancett Pagels
Jacob and Magda have many obstacles to overcome before they to get to the alter of bliss. Another delightful story by Carrie! She writes with heart and meaning. I always look forward to her stories!

Hearts of Nantahala by Jennifer Hudson Taylo
Betti
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
A most enjoyable collection of stories set in the 1700's. The young country was still at war with the British and the natives didn't want the settlers around either. Mistrust abounded leading to massacres and the building of forts for protection. With the men and boys heading out to fight and often not returning or coming home maimed, the women and children were left to fend for themselves. This meant roles that were usually filled by a man were filled by a woman, something that was deemed unacc ...more
Melissa Henderson
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Follow these 18th century women through extreme circumstances to the possibility of finding true love. Each author brings a unique story taking the reader back in time and showing how life was very different and how each woman made decisions through difficulty. The stories are well written and intriguing. I received a copy of this book from the authors and NetGalley and this is my own personal honest opinion.
Rebecca
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
"When I look at ye, Jenny White, I see . . . the kind of woman bred to life on a frontier. The kind who not only survives, but thrives . . . . . who stood her ground before savages, or fed her family through the winter. Or got this wounded lout on a horse, fished a bullet out of his leg, and cured him with herbs." - Across Three Autumns, Denise Weimer

It was a harsh world in the mid-to-late 1700's, especially for women. All up and down the East coast and beyond, remnants of wars and conflict batt
Amy
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Backcountry Brides Collection: Eight 18th Century Women Seek Love on Colonial America’s Frontier is a collection of 8 wonderful stories. These stories include:
Heart of Nantahala by Jennifer Hudson Taylor
Her Redcoat by Pegg Thomas
A Heart So Tender by Debra E. Marvin
A Worthy Groom by Angela K. Couch
Across Three Autumns by Denise Weimer
The Counterfeit Tory by Shannon McNear
Love’s Undoing by Gabrielle Meyer
I enjoyed every one of these stories and have
Marguerite Gray
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a diverse way to explore the historical colonial frontier with 8 short stories from 1754-1792. Each one has a distinct flavor and adventure. I would read another collection by these authors.
Caitlyn Lynch
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The eight stories in this collection were very varied in quality, so I’ll give each a very brief review and individual rating as well as an overall rating for the collection.

Shenandoah Hearts by Carrie Fancett Pagels
This is one of the weakest stories in the collection. Way too many characters with several side romances going on, it reads like the un-fleshed-out outline for a series. All the bits of the actual romance were ‘told’ rather than shown. Two stars.

Heart of Nantahala by Jennifer Hudso
Julia
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Backcountry Brides Collection is a delightful set of eight unique Christian tales set in the mid eighteenth century. The stories are bound by settings and themes. It is a time of conflict for the Americans with the British, French, German and Native Americans. There is distrust of others who hold different values. There are conflicts between the Loyalists and the Patriots. In spite of war, love can flourish if you know where to look.
Shenandoah Hearts by Carrie Fancett Pagels is a delightful
Terressa
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the different stories. It’s always fun to read familiar authors and find new-to-me authors as well. Great concept!

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists,
and/or authors, including Netgalley. I am not required to write positive
reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this
in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.
Tina
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, e-pdf-adr
The Backcountry Brides Collection: 8 Eighteenth-Century Women Seek Love on Colonial America’s Frontier

This is an amazing collection of novellas by eight gifted writers taking the reader “on the trail” traveling into Colonial America spanning the years of 1754-1792. We are taken along the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia...to Fort Michilimackinac of Michigan...North Carolina Colony...Charlotte Town, South Carolina...Fort Niagara of New York...along the Holston River of Tennessee...Wilkes County, Geo
Jenelle Hovde
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Counterfeit Tory by Shannon McNear
1780 – (South Carolina)
Tasked with infiltrating an infamous Tory gang, Jed Wheeler has no wish to endanger the leader’s cousin, Lizzy Cunningham. He risks not only his life. . .but his heart.

I loved the entire collection, but my favorite novella was Shannon McNear's The Counterfeit Tory. This is a continuation of a previous novella (The Highwayman), though it stands alone. There is plenty of exciting action and wonderful romance. Jed is chivalrous and sweet.
Renee
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of books! They were varied and interesting. I give this collection a 4 star with some being 5 quality! I recommend this to all readers. They are worth picking up today!
Bonny Rambarran
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb . . . . loved this collection . . . . .stories about woman who are not city folk, sophisticated but real. Real problems. Real love. Real solutions!!
Lucy
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great history lessons amid eight novellas written about Colonial America. These authors bring to life a time period that captures how difficult life was for Backcountry Women.
Carrie Fancett Pagels lets her unique style of writing shine in Shenandoah Hearts. I loved this quote, “Let’s pray.” Mama bowed her head. Her heartfelt prayer, spoken in German, went beyond that which Magdalene had offered up. But she knew in her soul, that God heard even the unspoken requests.
With characters that jump
Fiction Aficionado
Soldiers and Indians and forts, oh my! If that sounds like your kind of thing, then you should check out this collection of novellas set in the second half of the 18th Century. With stories covering a span of almost forty years and eight different locations from Minnesota, Michigan, and New York then down the eastern coast to Georgia, there's a good variety to be found.

As is often the case with these kinds of collections, I found some of the stories to be stronger than others based on the writin
Suzie Waltner
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the backcountry where women hard working and filled with an admirable strength. Eight stories highlight these courageous women as they find love amidst battles with nature, Indians, and British soldiers during the Revolutionary War throughout the states.

While I enjoyed all the stories in this novella collection from Barbour Publishing, read one or two new-to-me authors, there were definitely a couple that were my favorites.

A Worthy Groom, set in Tennessee, is a story of one man’s desi
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
I love these collections so much, and got so excited to sign up for this tour!

"Shenandoah Hearts"
This story had such a sweet romance, and such strong family bonds running throughout.
I will say the brothers started to get under my skin as the story progressed, but I think they filled their roles well.
In all honesty I felt like I was missing half the story, it seemed disjointed and a touch choppy. I did read in the way beginning that it is paired with another story, so I think that if I had pick
Joyful
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Backcountry Brides Collection: is the story about 8 eighteenth-century women who seek love on the Colonial America’s frontier. This amazing collection of novellas is written by eight gifted writers. These writers take the reader “on the trail” that travels into Colonial America during the years of 1754-1792: along the trail to Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, .to Fort Michilimackinac of Michigan., North Carolina Colony to .Charlotte Town, South Carolina, Fort Niagara of New York along the Hols ...more
Ashley
A Heart So Tender by Debra Marvin was a wonderful story. Susannah and Arch were opposites and seemed to have differing views on almost everything. It was great watching their friendship develop and romance bloom. I didn't know anything about Sir William Johnson's Great Gathering, so I found that quite fascinating. There was a lot of trying to overcome things in this story – overcoming fears, overcoming prejudices, overcoming bad experiences – which was great to read about. All in all, another fa ...more
Debbie Mitchell
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adventurous, heartfelt stories

Another wonderful collection written by some talented authors. If you love adventurous tales of romance, look no further. The Backcountry Brides collection will have your heart stopping, cause you to catch your breath many times and then make you smile and sigh. So much to overcome before true happiness can begin. With these short stories, you can enjoy 8 adventures in no time at all. And what better way to be introduced to new-to-you authors? I highly recommend thi
Andrea
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Early American history/romance, Historical Fiction
I loved it and learned so much! This collection will take into early American history from 1754 through 1792. Each story tells the story of people struggling to overcome the harshness of life in the backcountry. Wars, Indians, cultural differences, personal insecurities, and prejudice all work against men and women trying to find love.
I loved the detailed descriptions provided, while dramatic there are plenty of tender moments along with some humorous ones as well. I wept tears of joy and sadn
Candice
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Barbour always puts out a great collection of stories, but Her Redcoat was my favorite. Rich historical details blended perfectly with a quick, but believable, romance. Fans of Laura Frantz will enjoy Ms. Thomas's writing.
Jasmine
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical romance fans
8 women find love & turmoil in Colonial America...

Shenandoah Hearts by Carrie Fancett Pagels
I've been a fan of the author for awhile now and I really enjoyed this wonderful start to the novella collection. Danger, romance, and the lovely scenery of the Shenandoah Valley...what more could you ask for?

Heart of Nantahala by Jennifer Hudson Taylor
This is only the second story I've read by this author but I found it to be quite interesting. I had never really thought much about where the Colonists g
Trisha
I was transported through the pages of these stories back to a time when our ancestors were building a nation and carving out a firm foundation for the generations to come. Survival wasn’t easy on the early frontier. Harsh winters, fierce natives, and an abundance of wild animals. Each story is unique, with fascinating characters.

I enjoyed reading the stories in this collection and the distinctive voice that each author brought to this collection. As with any collection, there were a few stories
Loraine
A collection of eight novellas each focusing on a woman of the Revolutionary War period who was strong, independent, and knew her own mind. Each was well written and felt quite complete as a novella. Wonderful heroes to match these strong women. This is a lovely collection filled with lots of interesting history and including authors both known to me and new to me. It was obvious that each author had done extensive research into the bit of Revolutionary War history that their story focused upon. ...more
Carol
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Backcountry Brides Collection Is eight Novellas. The first is about overcoming different things before they marry. The second is about a business proposal wink wink. The third is about a dreaded red coat. The fourth is about a soldier protection of love. The fifth is about trials and trust and forgiveness. The sixth one is a heart jumpin' blood flowin' love flowin' story. The seventh one is about spies - sound familiar? The last one is about who is the right bride. I received a copy of this ...more
Brenda
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing I like better than historical fiction. I loved learning the history that is in each novella. The authors know how to draw me in the story with the hardships of Colonial America. The bravery and the strength of the men and women amazes me when I read about them. Each author brought out the characters personalities in their novella. The Indians, the wars, the everyday survival and finding love is all in this book. If you like historical fiction that is clean and still exciting you ...more
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book! So many great stories about new beginnings in the new world and how hard and difficult life truly is. Amazing how love and life survive through Gods unending grace.
The Back Country Brides is a worthwhile read and I highly recommend this book.
All the authors of these stories did a wonderful job and I look forward to many more!
Thank you ladies!
Andrea Byers
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed all the stories of this collection, all set in the mid-late 1700's.
Shenandoah Hearts by Carrie Fancett Pagels Another wonderful story by Carrie. This one takes us to the Shenandoah Valley in the mid 1700’s. Magda moves along with her family to the Shenandoah Valley, leaving her heart with Jacob. When he and his brother join up with the families going south, she wonders if he’ll ever return her affections. Later, concern for safety among some unrest with Indians, coupled with her worry
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #3)
  • The Great Lakes Lighthouse Brides Collection: 7 Historical Romances are a Beacon of Hope to Weary Hearts
  • My Heart Belongs in Glenwood Springs, Colorado: Millie's Resolve
  • A Bouquet of Brides Romance Collection: For Seven Bachelors, This Bouquet of Brides Means a Happily Ever After
  • First Love Forever Romance Collection: 9 Historical Romances Where First Loves are Rekindled
  • The Hope of Azure Springs
  • The Hope Jar (The Prayer Jars #1)
  • The Hawaiian Discovery
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • The Pirate Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #2)
  • A Tale of Two Hearts (Once Upon a Dickens Christmas, #2)
  • The Southern Belle Brides Collection
  • Storing Up Trouble (American Heiresses, #3)
  • My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge: Laurel's Dream
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets #1)
  • The Weaver's Daughter
  • The Warrior Maiden (Hagenheim, #9)
  • The MISSadventure Brides Collection: 7 Daring Damsels Don’t Let the Norms of Their Eras Hold Them Back
Shannon has been writing one thing or another since third grade and finished her first novel at age fifteen—but waited more than thirty years for her first book contract. In the meantime, she graduated from high school, attended college, met and married her husband, birthed nine children, lost one, taught five to drive, revised that first story innumerable times, and completed six others.

Her first

News & Interviews

“The first day they spied the Blue Ridge Mountains from their wagon train, Mr. Davis had bid them stop and set up camp. What a glorious feast for the eyes.” 0 likes