Start by marking “Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten” as Want to Read:
Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten

Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten (Miss Bindergarten)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  201 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A playful take on a topic that all parents can relate to-getting sick!  The ever-lovable Miss Bindergarten is not feeling well.  The flu strikes on Sunday, so she has to stay home from kindergarten on Monday.  Mr. Tusky (who is a wee bit rusty) will be her substitute, but it just won't be the same.  The kindergartners miss Miss Bindergarten!  They pass the time by making g ...more
Published February 9th 2004 by Puffin Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten

Jan 20, 2008 marked it as to-read
I need to know what happens to Miss Bindergarten's strangly sized, Gap kids wearing, animal students. How does one substitute a class that has a newt the size of a lion cub. Will Miss Bindergartens doggy fireman boy friend who has appeared in Last Day of Kindergarden, visit her on her sick bed and give her TLC? Will her bird/roommate/ pet/ teaching assistant help?
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
My first Miss Bindergarten book but I hope not my last. Love that she's a Border Collie. Are they all set up as alphabet books, with students named Adam... Zach?
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Joseph Slate writes and Ashley Wolff illustrates the well-known Miss Bindergarten series which I had never read before. Miss Bindergarten is a dog who teaches other animals in kindergarten in this series, and in this particular book, Miss Bindergarten is sick and slowly other animals in her class get sick! This book is a simple narrative and if I’m going to be quite honest, I had no idea this was an alphabet book until I reread it and realized that the letters of the alphabet were in bold. A cha ...more
Martin Ewell
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4th
I liked it because it was creative to have all the enimals in ABC order and I liked all the animals.
Hααℓєу♡ Ƒιѕнєя
Fun way to teach about the alphabet and sickness/ substitutes.
Alyssa Clark
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Teaches kids about the alphabet, colors, animals, and days of the week. Also a very fun read with great pictures.
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Miss Bindergarten, the kindergarten teacher is sick. On Monday she stays home from school and the kids have a substitute. The book follows a week in the lives of the students, Miss Bindergarten, and the substitute, Mr. Tusky. As each child is mentioned, we see that the names go through the letters of the alphabet. "Adam hangs his jacket. Brenda stores her dolls." The characters in the book are all animals - Miss Bindergarten is an English setter, Adam is an alligator, Brenda a beaver, Christophe ...more
Courtney Gregory
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Miss Bindergarten Stays Home From Kindergarten is written by Joseph Slate. This book is about a Kindergarten teaches who gets sick and has to stay home from school. Day after day as the students continue to interact with each other in the classroom, one student per day falls ill as well. The students do activities and share food and supplies but cant seem to figure out what is happening to everyone who is getting so sick. This trend continues until there are only three students and the substitut ...more
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book is geared towards older preschool, K and grade one. children a Miss Bindergarten misses school because she is sick. The children in her class have to have a substitute teacher. I used this book in a class room when I was a substitute. It was a wonderful way to talk about their teacher an to let them know that she would be back soon. I used this book to talk about how germs are spread and the importance of hand washing. The book also reveals a pattern that can help children make predicti ...more
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Possible Teaching Points with this book:

Rhyming reading
Predicting & Patterns (science & math skills)
Days of the week (social study skill)
Animals (science - animal identification?)
Art (visual arts)
Mental Counting - Patterns (math skills)
Daily routine & Procedures (social study skill)
Health (physical ed/development skill)
Reading Correctly (reading fluency)
Parts of a Books/Type of Book - fiction, book cover, title page, etc.
Marc Noday
Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten by Joseph Slate was my last choice. I enjoyed this book. I liked the story and the illustrations. The illustrations were very elaborate and I liked how they used many different animals as the kids in the class. Also for some reason it reminded me of a kids version of "Ferris Buellers Day Off" which is one of my favorite movies so maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much.
Rosa Cline
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is probably my favorite of the "Miss Bindergarten" series. These books are wonderfully written in rhyming form, also using the alphabet in the children's names in ABC order. And like in this book uses the days of the week as well. Incorporating learning in fun for the young readers-listeners. Also this book is a good one to help explain a 'substitute' teacher to a child that may not understand when their beloved teacher is not there.
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This story is about a school teacher that gets sick and stays home while students are with a sub. A few other students end up staying home the following day because they get sick as well. This would be a great way to share with students that it is a good idea to keep your hands washed after caughing on them and blowing your nose, so our friends don't get sick and have to stay home.
Mia Valdez Quellhorst
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kindergarten teachers
Ms. Bindergarten is sick and school will somehow have to go on without her. The animal students get along with their substitute Mr. Tusky until, oh no, they start to get sick too! Rhyming rhythm, colorful pictures, and a playful take on being sick, this is a great book to read with young children while talking about being sick, going to school, and substitute teachers.
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mommy says: The Miss Bindergarten books are cute, alphabetically themed tales of a kindergarten teacher named, well, Miss Bindergarten. This one chronicles the teacher and class through a spell of the flu.
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We liked that the chidrens names started with the same letter as their species (Ian the iguana). We also thought that Mr.Tusky was a great name for an elephant.
Diny Ulysse
Apr 07, 2014 marked it as to-read
Stacy Vance
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ms-bindergarten
Loved this book. My students loved the pictures.
This is a great read-aloud text to read to kindergarten students about a substitute teacher and how to take care of one self so that we don't get sick nor get others sick as well.
Dec 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Makes me want to stay home from school as well!
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It's that time of year in which Miss Bindergarten and some of her students stay home from kindergarten because they've got the flu!
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love the rhythm and rhyme of his books.
Lauren White
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, own
good for grades PreK-K.
Discusses the role of substitute teachers when the real teacher is sick.
Brandi Streeval
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
cute book read this to my daughter got this from the library.
Josh Kittleman
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My son says "This is one of my favorites. I like it. I like the pictures. I like when Miss Bingergarten comes back to kindergaryen." There's some feedback from a real kindergartner.
Joy Bassett
  • Dinner at the Panda Palace
  • I Love School!
  • Kindergarten Rocks!
  • Timothy Goes to School
  • How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?
  • Mouse's First Spring

Miss Bindergarten (7 books)
  • Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten