Start by marking “Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow” as Want to Read:
Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow

Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow

Published November 14th 2017 by IT Revolution Press

To ask other readers questions about Making Work Visible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Work Visible

Start your review of Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
Alexander
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like "The Phoenix Project", you must read this - and if you didn't read it, you should read it anyway.

This book should be considered a standard reference for practical Kanban and how to manage work.
It is split in to three parts:

* Part one explains the five thieves of time
* Part two shows how to use Kanban to hunt down these thieves
* Part three is about creating Metrics and getting Feedback

The content is from practitioners for practitioners which makes this book one of the most valuable I'
Steven Murawski
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Critical Reading for Anyone Who Does Work

I started this book with a decent understanding of Kanban techniques and expected a similar recap of those ideas, maybe with a focus on IT Ops. What I got was so much more!

While this may seem evident from the title - "Making Work Visible", there is so much more uncovered in this book than just getting your tasks in columns on a whiteboard.

I've spent most of my IT career focused on automation of tasks. One of the first challenges we face when starting any
Michael Stafford
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent handbook and review of Lean and kanban practices I'm already using at work, describes several things we can be doing better, and considering the traction this book has at work right now, I bet we'll be making process changes soon.

Engaging read, easy to understand, attractive layout and graphics. Could have used an editor (cost reasons I bet) as I saw a good many typos, plus the use of both acceptable spellings of queueing / queuing.
Emre Sevinç
If this is the first time you're hearing about Kanban style of working, you can consider this book almost a 4-star: it is very readable, with a lot of anecdotes from the author's professional challenges, and conveys the most fundamental concepts and terms in a colorful, easy-to-digest manner by using many examples. In other words, if you're just curious, this is not a bad starting point at all.

On the other hand, if you're a professional with even one or two years of experience in organizations a
Chase Adams
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Making Work Visible when I needed it most and was most ready for it. It is a canonical book for anyone who wants to be effective at getting the right things done in the right amount of time.

Why It Mattered To Me

I was two months into my journey as a manager for a small technical team whose primary responsibility was to manage an overwhelmingly active queue of support requests.

I was struggling with two major tensions:

1. "How do I know the work we're doing is the right work for the
Trung
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is mostly applicable in the author's context of working which is IT DevOps.
Tõnu Vahtra
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was a bit afraid that when you have already read several books on Lean and Kanban then the added value from one more book might be marginal. On high level this was the case but there were still several interesting thoughts in the book. It's a mix of different books ("This is LEAN", "Personal KANBAN", many quotes from Goldratt (THE GOAL) and another reminder to finally complete "Drive" from Daniel Pink. Authordidn't say it directly but there were several subliminal references to Phoenix Project ...more
Ahmad
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Making Work Visible is the best book on Lean-Kanban that I have read to date and I have read quite a bit. This book stands out from the other books on Kanban, Lean and Agile processes books in a unique way by clustering the core problems that Kanban was originally designed to solve via Visualization.

There are mainly five categories of problems which are presented as Time thieves in the book, namely:
1 - Thief Too Much WIP
2 - Thief Conflicting Priorities
3 - Thief Unplanned Work
4 - Thief Neglected
Christopher Litsinger
This book struck me as mostly a love-letter to kanban. It had practical advice for how to put it into practice, but I found it short of ideas on how to make it _better_ within my operating environment.
For a bit Degrandis started talking about probabilistic prediction, and I got excited about that, but she never suggested a useful formula for calculating it.
Probably the most thought-provoking bit for me in this book was the application of Little's Law to a kanban board. I happen to think a lot ab
Marcus Hammarberg
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
read most of this book in one big gulp - I simply could not stop myself.
My immediate feeling after reading it is that my head is spinning with things I need to try.

The content is super actionable, clear and beautifully presented. Also, everything is well grounded in practice & theory - the author oozed experience through the stories.
On top of that there's nice splash of fun to keep me reading.

I recommend this book to anyone doing Kanban, Lean, Agile or Scrum
William Anderson
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really just excellent. This is a fantastic guide to kanban board design, but goes so much further providing numerous tools to visualizing WIP and helping identify and clear bottle necks. If you are intersted in visualizing tasks, dependencies, interuptions, work, and value then read this.
John
This is a concise introduction to Kanban, focusing on the idea that your teams and colleagues need a way to see (with their eyes . . .) work so that it can be planned, discussed, and remove surprises from the organization. I would say that if you're a new practitioner of some kind of agile methodology (Scrum, Kanban, whatever) and want to tune up your work boards, this book could help quite a bit. It is not doctrinaire, and provides a lot of different patterns; no specific software package is di ...more
Niklas Heer
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book it focused me to see the time thieves and help me to make them more visible, but if you already read „The Phoenix Project“ or „The Unicorn Project“ you won’t find revolutionary ideas in it.
I can recommend this book to everyone who wants to see more clearly were your efforts go.
Sergey
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful and practical book for implementing kanban methodology, with most experience drawn from applying it across Operations teams. Editorial process could’ve been more diligent.
Mariah
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
My boss’s boss gave this to me to read and I actually found it extremely helpful. I got thrust into a Kanban process with no education and this lays it out simply and with lots of context. I felt like there were practical applications to the advice that I could implement which generally does not happen from a management book.
Mac
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book describes the common items which end up being where a lot of our productive time ends up going ("the thieves"), and outlines several strategies (with many great examples) of how to make the thieves visible using Kanban boards. If you're having trouble doing Kanban, this is a good book for showing several different approaches you can try.
Bjoern Rochel
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, eng-mgmt
I like the presentation and style of the book. Might be a good choice for the first Kanban book. Not so long ago though I read "Product Development Flow" and "Kanban from the inside" which go far beyond the content here. In case you've read those or dived deeper into Kanban before, I doubt that this book brings anything new to the table.
Johnny
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply the best book I read in a long time. It shows how time thieves steal all your time and how you can act to minimize their effect. In my opinion one of the best books about Kanban and how making your work transparent is the first step to work more efficient. Definitively a must read for everyone who works in projects.
Jeanne Boyarsky
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
“Making Work Visible” is awesome! The book is divided into three parts.

The first introduces the five thieves: too much WIP, unknown dependencies, unplanned work, conflicting priorities and neglected work. The author personifies the thieves nicely and talks about them like they are alive. I liked the “it was the cloud provider that did it in the data center with the candlestick.” I don't know about you, but these five thieves have been busy on most projects that I've worked on!

Part two is the me
Vlad Ardelean
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ex-prio, biz-tech
Some good ideas, nothing special

Fortunately the book is short.

Tell you what I won't do: get a physical board and stick postit notes on it. That's what she's proposing. I'm sorry, but I won't do that. It's very easy for these consultants, while on their workshops, to get out big whiteboards and stick postit notes on them.
Vert romantic, but wrong. I'm working with JIRA at work, and am limited by it. I won't change from JIRA to postits, because JIRA has a lot of benefits, mostly regarding communic
Bob Wallner
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In 2015, Jim Benson and Tonianne DeMaria Barry's book Personal Kanban changed the way I did work, so when I saw that Tonianne did the Foreward for Making Work Visible, I took notice.

I judge a book on how quickly it makes me take action. I put some of the principles from this book into effect on the same day as reading them. I have been using personal kanban since 2015, but the way Ms. Degrandis described how she uses kanban made me rethink how I was doing it. I made some simple changes to my per
Jeff
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
An exceptional argument for why so many workplaces are full of so many overworked, busy people, yet everything seems to take forever to get done. In short, there’s too much WIP (work in progress) and not enough idle time or slack capacity.

Great, jargon will help us? Let me explain how these go together.

Most of us think we need to be doing something productive 100% of the time at work, right? So if we find ourselves with some spare time, we start up something new. We add more work into the syste
Dusty Juhl
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
"It's ridiculously hard to manage invisible work."

This sentence essentially sums up the purpose of this book--making work visible in order to better manage it. The book lays out five major causes for work not getting done, presented as "time thieves". Any good book on Lean / Kanban likely presents many of the same causes, such as Too Much WIP, Unknown Dependencies, Unplanned Work, Conflicting Priorities, and Neglected Work.

This book provided a great combination of good descriptions of each time
heidi
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, paper, didactic
This book was exactly what I needed, when I needed it. DeGrandis takes the complexities of kanban-flavored agile and boils them down into actionable steps by talking about how you can solve specific problem (or Time Theives) by making your work more visible to stakeholders and yourself.

I think it's probably going to be more valuable if you have a basic understanding of kanban and limited work in progress, but she does cover it. This is more like a book for the second six months of your kanban tr
Ryan Frantz
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Degrandis does a great job defining and putting a face on a set of "time thieves" that prevent us from getting work done. The central theme is visibility. The more we make visible, the better we can understand what is stealing our time and make adjustments. Further, we can effectively communicate within and without our teams about the things that impact our work. This leads to setting better expectations and greater satisfaction, overall. And while the book recommends a Kanban approach to managi ...more
Ryan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
A well written book about the value and mechanics of using kanban on work projects, especially software projects.

The paperback is also very well published, with attractive illustrations by the author. In a book about making things visible, the pictures are certainly important.

Some of the key takeaways for me:
- Good explanation of using kanban and pull to manage work. This is good for projects and also for non-project work.
- Work-In-Progress (WIP) is not "effecient multitasking". It makes LESS ge
Liana
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked it up as a relaxing quick-read after emotionally draining fantasy trilogy. Turned out to be a painful almost three month journey.

There are 5 time wasting things one should avoid:
1. Too many tasks in progress (WIP)
2. Unknown dependencies.
3. Unplanned work.
4. Conflicting priorities.
5. Abandoned work.

Kanban helps to visualize these things.

Surprisingly picked up a few interesting ideas at the very end of the book:
1. Standups are useless if everyone just says what they've been doing. Just use
Mario Sailer
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Just another book about Kanban.

If someone does not know anything about Kanban this is a good book for an introduction. But if you are already familiar with Kanban and you know Little's Law, there is not much value in reading this book beside maybe getting reminded about the Kanban mechanisms.
Besides creating some awareness for the so called "Time Thief's", it is very simplistic, not digging much into the theory behind these "Time Thif's" and not giving very much advice how to tackle them (once y
Núria Aloy
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lean, kindle, owned
This book does a great job at explaining why visualization is key to improving workflow systems. The distinction of the main blockers to flow (or time thieves) into 5 different types, helps a lot in understanding what their impact is and how to minimize it. Although it is heavily focused on IT work (operations in particular), lean and kanban principles are explained in a way that doesn't make it difficult to transpose to other domains. Clear visuals support these explanations.

Some parts of the b
Justin Aquino
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: studies
Simple enough that it’s Actionable.
You may buy a ton of Books about AGILE, Devops, Lean, TPS, etc. and thats good you’ll still need that. You may read the GOAL, and all Novels of Eli Goldratt (and the Phoenix Project) to frame all that knowledge in a Narrative and weave your own story of how your conditions are and what are the actions and challenges you will encounter.
But you will need a Book - simple enough to share and digest how you are going to implement all of this.
You cannot be expecte
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
  • Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Unicorn Project
  • A Seat at the Table
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • The Art Of Business Value
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Beyond The Phoenix Project: The Origins and Evolution Of DevOps (Official Transcript of The Audio Series)
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • War and Peace and It: Business Leadership, Technology, and Success in the Digital Age
  • The Age of Agile: How Smart Companies Are Transforming the Way Work Gets Done
  • DevOps for the Modern Enterprise: Winning Practices to Transform Legacy IT Organizations
  • The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth
  • Rethinking Agile: Why Agile Teams Have Nothing To Do With Business Agility
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Leadership is Language: The Hidden Power of What You Say -- and What You Don't
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“The solution is to design and use a workflow system that does the following five things: Make work visible. Limit work-in-progress (WIP). Measure and manage the flow of work. Prioritize effectively (this one may be a challenge, but stay with me—I’ll show you how). Make adjustments based on learnings from feedback and metrics.” 0 likes
“As Edwards Deming said, “A bad system will beat a good person every time.” 0 likes