Start by marking “The Rancher Takes a Cook (Texas Rancher Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rancher Takes a Cook (Texas Rancher Trilogy #1)

The Rancher Takes a Cook

(Texas Rancher Trilogy #1)

When their South Carolina home burns to the ground, Anna Stewart’s only choice is to move with her younger brother to the wilds of a Texas ranch.

Their prospects are beginning to look better, until the rancher’s son, Jacob O’Brien, shows up with his alarmingly blue eyes to put a kink in Anna’s well-controlled plans.

When danger escalates in the form of a band of cattle
Kindle Edition, 2
Published by Misty M. Beller Books, Inc. (first published June 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Rancher Takes a Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rancher Takes a Cook

Start your review of The Rancher Takes a Cook (Texas Rancher Trilogy #1)
One-Click
Audiobook- narration, Tiffany Williams - nice narration and has a very pleasant voice.

This is a historical Christian Romance - I've read several of this genre and this was by far the most "religeousy" (yeah, I made that word up) of them all. There are a great number of references to the bible and characters ask for gods help continuously, even for the little things, so if that's not your thing, you may want to steer clear.

The author is also quite fond of using phrases like "teeth chattering
Randy Tramp
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Civil War has ended. Anna Stewart with her younger brother Edward moved to Texas when their home is burnt. Jacob O'Brien, the rancher's son, and Anna Stewart are attracted to each other.

Beller captures the post Civil War era. There's something I hadn't considered. The victorious northern army harbored animosity and took it out on Southerners. Edward became their target.

As a cook in the Navy, and then a cook supervisor at a federal prison, I especially loved "cooking" element of the book. The
Kirsi Johnson
Clean Read

I'd probably give this one more like 3.5 stars. The story and setting were good, but the pacing was a little off for me--the beginning and end both seemed to drag a little. Overall though, this is a sweet western romance that has left me wanting a bouquet of yellow roses.
Amy
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Rancher Takes A Cook is such a great read. I was hooked from the start. It is set during my favorite historical time period, Civil War era. I loved siblings, Anna and Edward Stewart. I loved the author's vision of the Texas frontier.
Great book!
5 stars
Timothy Hendricks
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another exceptional book by Misty Beller. Again I enjoyed this book and plan to read the next one in this trilogy soon. I can get enough of this author's books. I love them. And, she has introduced me through her emails and newsletters to a number of other Christian authors whose books I also enjoy very much. I love how she weaves scripture and faith into her stories and portraying how they work in a person's life and how a person can be blessed. I like how she puts it, "spending some private ...more
Beth Erin
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Series featured on FaithfullyBookish.com

What a lovely trio of redemptive, feel-good stories! I completely enjoyed getting to know all the folks on this small-town Texas ranch. These stories have just the right amount of spunk and action to liven up the sweetly romantic plots. Settings and cultures are figuratively painted across each chapter with vibrant brushstrokes. I’m a big fan of Misty M. Beller’s Mountain series so I’ve had my eyes on this Texas series for a while now and it does not
Marcia Lips
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling read.

Loved the compelling story line that drew me in. Ms. Beller's books are fun to read, with believable characters. As the story unfolds, I found the storyline plausible and real. What I find unrealistic at times is some of Ms. Beller's characters abilities and skill sets are far too advanced in a foreign environment. Yes, there's fast learners, but these characters skills are far too developed for someone in unfamiliar territory. But for the most part, I love to read her books.
Alan T
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anna & Jacob

Anna Stewart and her brother Edward lose their home in Columbia SC when the city is burned during the Civil War. They go to Seguin, Texas to their aunt and uncle who run a mercantile.

Edward gets a job as a cow puncher on the Double Rocking B ranch and Anna rides out to tell the rancher that the 15 year old is too young. To her surprise she ends up with a job as ranch cook.

Anna finds the ranchers son Jacob O'Brian interesting, but is too busy to worry about it.

Excellent
Marcy
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life after loss

This is a wonderfully told story about a young woman starting over after the war, finding a place she belongs and learning to trust in God’s plans.

Anna has a determination and spirit you can’t help but love. That’s one of the things Jacob finds so enchanting about her. I enjoyed this book so much... and would love a sequel following up on what happens next.
Marjorie
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story

I enjoyed reading this book, I always love history and I didn’t know much about the south until I met my husband in 1956. He was in the Navy and from Tennessee and our last duty station was Charleston, SC. Thank you for this good story.
Vikki Vaught
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Too much detail and dragged on past where it should have ended, but still not a bad book. I liked the characters and the plot. The narrator has a great voice and did a fine job. Happy reading/listening!
Dee Manning
Long

One of my favorite Authors I read all her books , and will continue to, however,this was a long, long book. I found myself skipping through chapters and chapters. Very unusual for Misty Beller to not hold my attention. Interested in what other reviews say.
Patricia
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5, rounded up. This was a nice story although it seemed unusually slow paced. I can't recall whether other Beller books were paced like this. However, I liked the characters and will read more in the series.
Thomas Havens
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ranchers takes a cook

This book has an easy to follow plot and interesting characters. I recommend this book to all lovers Christian, historical, romance novels.
Claudia
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Is it possible for a quick read to drag? Yup, this book could have been a nice short story.
Katelyn
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not convinced anything actually happened in this book. Girl talked a lot about cooking and that was about it.
Rebekah Russell
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

I loved this book..right from the start I knew it was going to be good. Just like all her other books! My new favorite author!
Deloris  Mercer
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

This was a great break from my usual FBI fiction.
Great characters and the setting was especially wonderful. Thank you Ms. Beller for a great read.
Regina A Fontaine
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read

Nice clean romantic love story just after the civil war, a little violence to go with the era of that year. Good read.
Julynn
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet story with enough intrigue, danger, friendship, faith, family and fun to keep me engaged the whole book....enjoyed it very much!
Julie Holdsworth
Slow moving

This is a sweet story, but very slow moving. I prefer a more realistic storyline that moves a lot quicker.
Jan Johnson
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet but predictable.
Mardell
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Good story but I think it ended a couple of chapters before the book did.
Tracey Kern
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story

I have never read this author but she is great. This is a great introduction to the trilogy! Can't wait to read the other books!
Connie Brown
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story.

These characters are very compelling and the story is well thought out. This is a new to me author and I will look for more of her books.
Gabi
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Your typical historical, Christian romance... light reading and entertaining... overall a nice reading, nothing super exciting.
Elizabeth West
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacob and Annas story

This was a great book! It loved the Bible reference to the story when the life lesson is made .
Donna Rogers
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

First time reading this Author, it was A good book a little drawn out but overall a good read .
Terri
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well written book

This is a very well written book with characters you can relate to and christ-centered relationships. I will gladly read many more of this author's books
Kelli
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pacing at the end was a bit clunky but overall it was such a sweet read

• The Rancher’s Bride Arrangement  (Brides of Inspiration #1)
  • The Rancher’s Second Chance Bride  (Brides of Inspiration #3)
  • Wagon Train Wedding (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #2)
  • Rescued by the Mountain Man (Mountain Men of Montana, #1)
  • The Rancher’s Marriage of Convenience (Brides of Inspiration #2)
  • The Rancher’s Bride Surprise (Brides of Inspiration #4)
  • Wagon Train Baby (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #1)
  • Temporary Bride (Dakota Brides #1)
  • Wagon Train Matchmaker (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #3)
  • Capturing a Cowboy's Heart
  • Hannah (Brides of the Oregon Trail #1)
  • The Marshall's Second Chance
  • A Love Worth Searching For (Oregon Trail Dreamin' #3)
  • Her Western Heart (Seeing Ranch)
  • Her Silent Burden (Seeing Ranch)
  • Loving a Rebel: The Preacher's Daughter (Glory, Montana #1)
  • Second-Chance Bride (Dakota Brides #3)
  • Abandoned Bride (Dakota Brides #2)
Misty M. Beller writes romantic mountain stories, set on the 1800s frontier and woven with the truth of God’s love. For a limited time, you can get her bestselling novel, The Lady and the Mountain Man, FREE here: http://bit.ly/2gvrW1a

She was raised on a farm in South Carolina, so her Southern roots run deep. Growing up, her family was close, and they continue to keep that priority today. Her

Texas Rancher Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Ranger Takes a Bride (Texas Rancher Trilogy #2)
  • The Rancher Takes a Cowgirl (Texas Rancher Trilogy #3)
  • Texas Rancher Trilogy: Books 1 - 3: Texas Rancher Trilogy Box Set
“the seat of the chair. Aunt Lola was also a frequent visitor, and both Edward and Mr. O’Brien came by a couple of times each day to offer a cheery word. For the first few days, she slept much of the time, but as she was able to wean herself from the laudanum, she was awake more and more. Jacob wasn’t going out to work with the cattle. When he wasn’t with her, he tinkered in the barn or did odd jobs around the house. It was strange. Nothing had kept him from the” 0 likes