Start by marking “Grump: The (Fairly) True Tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves” as Want to Read:

Grump: The (Fairly) True Tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

((Fairly) True Tales Series)

From the New York Times bestselling author of Rump, comes the true story behind another unlikely hero: a grumpy dwarf who gets tangled up in Snow White's feud with the wicked queen.

Ever since he was a dwarfling, Borlen (nicknamed "Grump") has dreamed of visiting The Surface, so when opportunity knocks, he leaves his cavern home behind.
At first, life aboveground is a dream
Published May 29th 2018 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Grump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grump

Lola
3.5 stars.

That’s right. This is a fairytale retelling of Snow White, from the point of view of one of her seven dwarves, Grump.

Grump is not in the story for observation purposes only. He also acts. He plays a grand role in Snow White’s tale—that starts out as his own, before mixing his fate with hers.

This is my third book from this author, but while I highly enjoyed Grump, I disliked Red, so I was hesitant to read it, despite the cinematic cover. Animated movie vibes, anyone?

But I was pleasantl
Carrie
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Grump: The (Fairly) True Tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves by Liesl Shurtliff is a middle grade fantasy retelling of the classic Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. The story brings to light the saying of there’s three versions of every story, his, hers and the truth. This is Grump’s truth of what really happened.

Dwarves are generally born deep underground and feed upon the rare gems that they mine beneath the earth. However, when it was time for Borlen to enter the world his parents were c
Montzalee Wittmann
Grump: The (Fairly) True Tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
by Liesl Shurtliff is an audible book I got from the library. It is probably a kids book but I enjoyed it just the same. It has the Grump the main character in a revised story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It is very clever and not much in common with the original story, just the basics. I like this one a lot more! It makes more sense too! Lol! The narration is great also! A great story for all ages. I normally can't stand r
Completely Melanie
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, but this is the story of Grump's part in all of this. I really enjoyed reading this with my son. I like that it shows a different perspective.
Fifi
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so whimsical and adorable! A unique, lighthearted retelling of Snow White. Perfect for when you want something lighter and less intense, but still engaging. I loved this!
Yvonne Olson
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Liesl Shurtliff is one of my bosses FAVORITE fairytale-esque authors. I mentioned to her, once, that I loved Rumpelstiltskin and wanted to read more retellings of it, and she shoved Rump in my hands. At the time, I didn't want to read it, and forgot about it for a little, until I heard about Grump and laughed. When Grump became available to request, I got excited, and requested it, lo and behold, I got it, and I must say that I loved it.

Being born too close to The Surface has it's problems for
Laurie
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: 3-6

Did you think that fractured fairy tales were only for picture books? Well then think again! Liesl Shurtliff has spun an incredible story around a classic fairy tale. From the day Borlen (nicknamed Grump) was born he was never like the other dwarves. Because of unusual circumstances, he was born near the surface instead of deep within the earth. Borlen has never fit in the other dwarves and he actually gets sick when he has to go to work deep in the mines. His dream is to one
Jana
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to read a digital ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for this review. This middle grade fantasy novel is the latest in a series of books giving the back story of some of our favorite fairy tales: Rump – The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin, Jack – The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk, and Red – The True Story of Little Red Riding Hood. And once again, I loved it!

Shurtliff expertly freshens and livens up the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves by giving us th
Mindy
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love a fairy tale retelling, and one from Liesl Shurtliff makes me love them even more! I have adored every book she has written. Liesl writes her characters perfectly and every one is unique and fun. Grump was especially fun. It was written on "Grumpy's" point of view. I loved everything about Borlen AKA Grump. Borlen is a unique dwarf, he doesn't enjoy being underground and is fascinated by The Surface. All the dwarfs think he is strange, but his parents never give up their dream ...more
Michele
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! This is a fun to read reimagninging of the dwarves who protected Snow White, particularly the one known as Grumpy. While she does make an appearance, Snow White is a minor character in this tale. Instead we follow the life of Borlen (aka Grumpy) as he struggles between his curiosity about the surface and his obligations below ground. Through the process we learn about dwarf culture, relationships, and even cuisine. I enjoyed this story so much that I booktalked the author's ear ...more
Michele Knott
Don’t tell the other characters in the “Fairly True” series, but this one is probably my favorite! So much to talk about - identity, being torn between responsibilities/loyalties, can you control your fate? I hope we have more of these stories coming!
Elley Murray
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfect for fans of Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted books. Grump is a fun twist on the Snow White story you think you know, told from the point of view of "Grump," a misfit dwarf who was born too close to the surface and it made him a little odd. (He actually reminds me a bit of Ariel from The Little Mermaid, always dreaming about the surface and collecting surface dweller things…) I love the way the dwarves are portrayed, both the individual characters in the book and as a culture. The worl ...more
Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You
maybe 2.5 stars, but not nearly sure enough about that to round up to 3 stars... i was so excited to read this as i have loved the (Fairly) True Tales series... alas, this one was much too long, which seemed to stem mainly from taking on too much tangential bits and not sticking closer to the "original" tale... you know Borlen/Grump ends up on the Surface, so using the first 60+ pages as a prologue of sorts just made the book too long spending time on "Dwarf Lore" (read and you'll see what i mea ...more
Barred Owl Books
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

At first, life aboveground is a dream come true. Queen Elfrieda Veronika Ingrid Lenore (E.V.I.L.) is the best friend Grump always wanted, feeding him all the rubi
Book Smeller Jessica Prien
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grump
Written by Liesl Shurtliff
Genre – Middle School Fiction
Rating – 5/5 Stars
Currently Available

“The Fairly True Story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”
Borlen aka Grump has always dreamed of going to the surface, against the wishes of his fellow dwarfs. Dwarfs have a healthy fear of humans, for humans are aware of dwarf magic. Everyone knows if you grab a dwarf by the beard and command the dwarf, the dwarf physically must obey.
One day fate takes him above ground, where he is mesmerized by t
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Borlen is not like other dwarves. He is not very strong, he doesn’t sing, and he hates being underground. Borlen longs to experience the world above, and a chance to break through the surface gives Borlen the opportunity he has always dreamed of. But, the outside world is not as glorious as it seems, and dangers come in all shapes and sizes. The story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves told from Grumpy’s point of view.

Recommended for grades 4-6. Lexile Level: 360
Reviewed by Christine Hwang, You
Karlene Browning
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story! I've read one of Shurtliff's other books and really liked it, but this one was just awesome! Loved the slow lead in to the Snow White story, getting to know "Grump" and the dwarf community. Fun, unique, loved their food. Once we got into the Snow White part of the story, it was close enough to be satisfying, but with unique differences that made it rich and interesting. I did not like the prince very much at first, but that didn't detract from the story. Highly recommended to m ...more
Dheril Sofia
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is so fun! Reading a Snow White story from dwarf's point of view gives me deeper and adventurous experience!
Melissa
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute.
Ashley  Marie
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readingwitfoxes
I loved Borlen aka Grump he was definitely grumpy and funny lol
Angy
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best re-telling or version of Snow White I’ve read! It’s so easy to pick up and delve into the world of dwarves. There are many twists and turns that make the book so much fun to read!
A.L. Sowards
This one took a few chapters for my kids to get into, but soon enough they were begging for "one more chapter."
Cara
I enjoy reading traditional fairy tales from a side character's perspective. Even though you know how it's going to end, it's really fun to see how the author gets you there.
This installment wasn't as strong as the other two for me. I liked Grump's story, but it just took too long to get to the meat of the story.
I did enjoy the way the story ended, and I really liked the trolls. I wish there would've been more of them in there.
Michelle Simpson
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once again, Liesl Shurtliff takes a familiar fair tale and puts a whole new spin on it! In this book, we hear the tale from Grump’s (also known as Borlen) point of view. I think kids are going to be lined up for this one just as they have been for the others.
Jana
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this author’s other book called Rump - true story of rumplestilken. This was a good read as well. It was difficult at first to get into the story but once Grump meets the Queen things start popping!
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grump is a wonderful addition to Shurtliff's world of fairy tales and magic. I loved how three-dimensional the character of Grump was. His struggles and battles were real and relatable. His friendships with Snow White and the other dwarves were full of trials and setbacks but showed that true friendships are the most important thing in life and will rise above any problems.
Meredith Spidel
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so cute! Such a fun and creative explanation of this favorite tale. I want to read all the others in this series now!
Carolina  (fictionologyst)
I hate most of the characters but love the plot and the worldbuilding. Full review coming up soon!
Suzie
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Her best one yet.
Margaux
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Liesl Shurtliff's *Rump* was on a reading list for the state of Illinois last year, so I was familiar with her series from that. This is a truly original take on the Snow White story. Shurtliff's world-building is fantastic, and I know the kids in my area are going to eat this book up just like the others in this series. There's a lot of Dwarf folklore woven throughout the story, and of course there's cheeky humor to help balance out the more serious undertone of (for lack of a better word) abus ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk
  • The Third Mushroom
  • Wonderland
  • Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
  • The Goblin's Puzzle: The Adventures of a Boy With No Name and Two Girls Called Alice
  • Nightingale's Nest
  • Hansel & Gretel
  • Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #1)
  • La Princesa and the Pea
  • Jack and the Beanstalk and the French Fries
  • The Eternity Elixir (Potion Masters, #1)
  • The World Is Not a Rectangle: A Portrait of Architect Zaha Hadid
  • Inkling
  • Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
  • Granted
  • Wicked Nix
  • Die, Snow White! Die, Damn You!: A Very Grimm Tale
Liesl Shurtliff is a New York Times bestselling and award-winning author of books for young readers. Her latest book is the first in a new time-travel adventure trilogy, TIME CASTAWAYS: The Mona Lisa Key from KatherineTegen/HarperCollins. Other books include RUMP, JACK, RED, and GRUMP, all part of the (Fairly) True Tales series from Knopf/Random House.

Liesl was born and raised in Salt Lake City,

(Fairly) True Tales Series (4 books)
  • Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin