Start by marking “The Science of Self-Discipline: The Willpower, Mental Toughness, and Self-Control to Resist Temptation and Achieve Your Goals” as Want to Read:

Your best intentions are not enough. Learn to scientifically engineer a disciplined life, become relentless, and never give up.
Whatever you want in your life, self-discipline is the missing piece. Goals will remain dreams if you make the mistake of relying on motivation and your best drawn plans.

The Science of Self-Discipline is a deep look into what allows us to
Published October 21st 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Self-Discipline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Self-Discipline

Start your review of The Science of Self-Discipline: The Willpower, Mental Toughness, and Self-Control to Resist Temptation and Achieve Your Goals
Manuel Antão
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Time is an Invention: “Science of Self-Discipline - The Willpower, Mental Toughness, and Self-Control to Resist Temptation and Achieve Your Goal” by Peter Hollins

“Motivation and self-discipline are nice to have. Motivation, however, is often emotional and temporary, while self-discipline can be exhausted. But having solid habits will deliver the same results with far less pain and suffering. Habits have been shown to take around 66
G. M. Knock
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Most straightforward, and practical self-improvement book I have read. One that actually has readily implementable, scientifically-based advice, not just motivational-mumbo-jumbo. Very grateful to the writer for synthesizing so much good material into one short book.

I would recommend this book to everyone, EXCEPT my worst enemy. Wouldn't want this book to fall into evil hands.
SusanwithaGoodBook
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anyone who looks at me knows I lack self-discipline and have failed to achieve my goal of losing weight... in fact, I've gained weight. I know what to do, I just don't do it. Other things are more important (like ice cream, for instance). As I get older it gets more and more difficult and my excuses pile up.

This book isn't a diet book. It's about setting yourself up for success with little things you do. There aren't any easy answers and I really appreciate the fact that this guy doesn't coddle
Neil Johnstone
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, i could see how i have failed on things that i tried to do and i unknowingly used some of the techniques and the work. Last year i tried to read 25 books but only managed 15 or so where as this year i set the same goal and this is my 24th book this year. I'm gonna be the first person ever to complete a new years resolution.
I recommend this book to anyone that has tried to improve an aspect of their life but lacked the follow through of self discipline.
Abdullah
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice book with obvious actions but we don 't think about them and that's where the book comes in. Sorry for my English
Nicole Oke
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Science of Self-Discipline is such an essential read and provides many great tips and examples. The book is one that I would refer back to if I needed a kick in the butt or reminders to shame me into action.

Discipline is never easy, but the book is a useful tool to read to understand better ways to deal with urges, procrastination, and how to get started on something you've been telling yourself you'll do. The question you need to ask yourself is, "Do I want to be a disciplined person or
Sophia Darian
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A most helpful and clear presentation of what's involved in designing a more effective way of functioning and building a productive life. Absolutely Anyone would benefit from the advise and explanations provided!!!
Robert Lei
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I very fast and easy read which covers multiple broad topics on the concepts of self discipline.
Occasionally conflicting information between two chapters happens (the chapter on navy SEALS being motivational to encourage the reader to try harder and push their limits is followed by a chapter on not overdoing it, and being mindful of when things are getting too much) which shows this is more of a compilation work. Readers can pick and choose which methods they want to pursue.
I'd rate it higher
Adriana
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like VALUE (with studies to back it up) and not a lot of FLUFF
The thing I liked most about this book was all the studies that backed up what the author was saying. He really knows what he's talking about. He doesn't present the studies in a boring way, either. This book was quite interesting. I learned quite a few new things.

The thing I didn't like about this book was the length. I feel like the author knows SO much about this, and it could have been longer. At the same time though, this is something I love about the book. He doesn't bore you with words
Zahraa El-Kabengi
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, 2018, psycology
Absolutely loved this book. Although Ive heard some of the concepts elsewhere, this book gives you explanations, ways and examples of implementing self discipline into your life. It was really relevant and even pointed out my own challenges and explained how hard people like me have made it on themselves to use self control, i.e. Leaving sweets in our view when trying to control our sugar intakes.
Matthew C
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Solid Research and Advice

I really like this author and his ability to structure and outline the research on a topic and put in actionable instructions for some very difficult topics. This is a great approach and I’m sure there is something in it for everyone. I believe we all struggle with self discipline to some extent and just standing back and reading a thorough overview and approach to improving self discipline is a great self development and improvement opportunity.
Patrick Wilson
This book is by far the best self-improvement book I've read this year. I like how actual scientific researches and experiments were incorporated to back up what was said. It is the SCIENCE of self discipline after all. Also how practical it was. I felt inspired and more knowledgeable with every page turn. Will definitely read this every year. Thank you so much for sharing this vast knowledge. Mind blowing.
William N. Ogilvie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Renewed Sense of Purpose

A good resource for recharging your motivation and stiffening your resolve when they start to wane. Once you retire, self-discipline fades rapidly: no schedules to keep, no deadlines to meet, no urgent needs to satisfy. But the daily habits of keeping mind and body fit are more important than ever.

"Heart must be higher, mind must be stronger, will must be greater as our strength diminishes"
Mr J
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cracking short but insightful book. Books can only do so much though, you still need to actually take the advice and act on it. Let’s see how my new habits go. A lot of these books cover the same subjects but this is good because it’s directed to advise you in one main area. There is s great little summery at the end of each chapter. I will be referring back to it.
Will Conrad
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time well spent.

Short and to the point. While written in a succinct and clear way this book still manages to pack in enough references and evidence to make it a light but serious read. Peter Hollins manages to tread deftly through the no man's land between text book and self help book.
Jasmine Calix
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book, totally enjoyed reading it.

I love the scientific aspect of it giving you confidence that the methods outlined and tried and true. I needed that little extra info to help me stick with my weight loss plans and certainly received some good tips. I now have my vitamins in the bathroom so ad I brush my teeth they are a reminder to take them
Shannon Slater
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
It was an OK book for me. Everything in this book is TRUTH, but I listen to lots of podcasts on this stuff so it taught me some stuff I already knew. But a lot of it, I didn’t know. Really short book by the way.
Liudvikas
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably everything what science now knows about self-discipline is in this one book. The author did a really good job covering main things. The book is easy to read and understand. I highly recommend this read for everyone interested in self help, discipline and psychology.
Jeff Davis
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but dense self-help book on the importance of establishing good habits. Does a great job pointing out the difference between motivation, which is a fleeting feeling, and discipline, which actually gets things done.
Gustavo Romero
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy read on bad habits and how to tackle them

Simple and practical items to help self awareness and on how to mitigate bad habits supported by a collection of research studies. Helpful takeaway summaries at the end of each chapter.
Terry O'Rourke
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book

I'm an 80 year old retired senior executive that, during my career, have read dozens of self help books,
yet I found many helpful new ideas that I can apply as I continue my quest to continuously improve the way I live. Highly recommend this book.
Martin
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tells you things you already know

But everybody should still read it, gives some concrete examples on how to build discipline. A decent short read overall.
Pianoforte
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found it useful

A good, succinct overview of self-discipline.
Quite a few typos in the kindle edition.
I’ll re-read this one to let the message sink in.
Muhamed
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. Gets to the point from the very beginning. Included practical tips and instructions throughout. Highly recommend it.
Eric Richardson
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

I like this book because it gives lots of ideas and ways of learning self discipline, I would highly recommend this book to anyone making positive change in their lives
Simon Hohenadl
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
There were a few new insights for me. Other than that, this book is a short summary of ideas around self-discipline that I had already encountered in other books.
jeff ayres
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Practical and accurate

This book contains some great info on building self discipline from scratch or improving ones discipline in all areas Recommended.
criss ndungu
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Changes that are worth the effort.

The author knows how difficult it is to form a good habit;therefore,he diligently chooses a gradual path,that will take you there.
Constance Roberts
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book with a verity of simple techniques to use to support being disciplined and reaching your goals. The best phase in the book, ”either you’re disciplined or you're not.”
Jonas
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like "The Science of Accelerated Learning": Much content in short time and few pages.

• Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • How to Make Sh*t Happen: Make more money, get in better shape, create epic relationships and control your life!
  • Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results (Mini Habits, #1)
  • The Procrastination Cure: 21 Proven Tactics For Conquering Your Inner Procrastinator, Mastering Your Time, And Boosting Your Productivity!
  • Wrong Number
  • Delhi Is Not Far
  • On Leaders and Icons: From Jinnah to Modi
  • Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day
  • How to Build Self-Discipline: Resist Temptations and Reach Your Long-Term Goals
  • The Outlaw's Handbook: How To Be A Modern Outlaw & Gain Freedom In An Unfree World
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • The Heart To Start: Stop Procrastinating & Start Creating
  • The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace
  • Grip: Het geheim van slim werken
  • Psychologie voor in bed,op het toilet of in bad
  • HOW TO LOOK AND FEEL FABULOUS AFTER 50: Simple Health Tips to Eat Better, Have More Energy, Avoid Sugar Cravings and Lose Weight In The Process
  • Grace for the Afflicted: A Clinical and Biblical Perspective on Mental Illness
  • The 28 Day Alcohol-Free Challenge: Sleep Better, Lose Weight, Boost Energy, Beat Anxiety
“We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.” 3 likes
“For whatever goal you want to achieve, there is discomfort along that path. Self-discipline drives you through this discomfort and allows you to achieve and attain. It’s an essential component of mastery, and nothing great was ever accomplished without it.” 1 likes