Start by marking “The Silent Games (Lorimer #11)” as Want to Read:
The Silent Games (Lorimer #11)

The Silent Games

(DCI Lorimer #11)

A moment of nostalgia causes problems for a Glasgow police officer.

DS William Lorimer has a lot on his hands. The Commonwealth Games will soon begin in Glasgow, and there’s been a credible threat of homegrown terrorism. When a big explosion, perhaps a trial run, causes extensive damage in a wooded area, Lorimer is seconded to help the counterterrorism force in their invest
Published March 13th 2018 by Witness Impulse (first published March 13th 2014)

Linda Strong
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Glasgow Commonwealth Games are very similar to the Olympic Games. When a bomb explodes nearby where the games are to be held, DS Lorimer and his team are called to investigate. The general consensus is that this was a test run. From who? Why?

Things heat up even more when a body is found close to where the bomb exploded...but no one has been able to identify the woman.

And while millions of people are preparing to attend the games, Lorimer and Brightman become desperate to find those responsib
Georgia
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Find more in Chill and read

About a year before the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, a bomb explodes in a nearby place. Detective Superintendent Lorimer is called one day earlier from his vacation to handle the case and respond to the press. What is really behind this bombing? It is not clear yet, but could it be an act of terror?

At the same time, Lorimer receives a reunion invitation, organised by his former girlfriend and first love, Vivien Fox Gilmartin. Vivien is still a head turner and can still
Theresa
I like this series but I had problems with the plotting of it. The story of the old girl friend was too obvious and the background story to the terrorist plot was not developed enough to intrigue me. Still, I will try the next one.
Wendy
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Woven into “The Bird That Did Not Sing” Alex Gray explores crimes of human trafficking, an anarchist plot and the murder of a theater magnate as the 2014 Commonwealth Games are set to open in Glasgow.

Opening with a mysterious bomb explosion in the woods near the village of Drymen, the plot quickly heats up when the wealthy husband of Detective Superintendent William Lorimer’s former high school girlfriend Vivien Fox is found dead in his bed. Stricken with grief the Detective takes “Foxy Gilmart
Joan
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I have read several of the novels featuring Lorimer and enjoyed them. This is a gritty one as one of the cases Lorimer works on deals with human trafficking. Some of the scenes were hard to read but I think they accurately reflected that often hidden segment of society.

I do like the balance Gray strikes between character development and police procedure. I appreciated getting to know Maggie, Lorimer's wife, a bit better. She is gracious but astute, especially when an old flame of Lorimer's stays
Christie
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having read all the previous books in the series I was disappointed in this book. I felt the plot was quite weak and a good few 'holes' in it. I felt it was just an attempt to be topical to have a story around the Commonwealth Games but for me it failed. Terrorism, people trafficking, heavy weight subjects but this is a light weight read.
Lynne Elsisy
Ok. Nothing to make this book particularly stand out. Might be worth trying another but maybe not.
I loved the Swedish Girl but was disappointed with this one. I thought it was fairly predictable and slow moving. It won't put me off the series though.
Bev Taylor
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
they stole her voice. nm\ow they want her dead ......

lorimer is called into an investigation when a large bomb goes off in the countryside. this is the year of the commonwealth games and it is feared that this is a run up to a much larger and devastating event

there is also the body of a young girl who is found close to the bombsite that he must identify and solve plus an old school reunion that links him up again with his first love - foxy

added to this her husband is found dead on the same ev
Rog Harrison
I read this series because it is mostly set in Glasgow but sadly I do not feel the main characters ever come to life. This book is set during the run up to the Commonwealth Games and having been a volunteer myself I think the author captured the atmosphere well. I also liked the fact that the first murder took place in a flat literally round the corner from my own flat! However some things did not quite ring true. Lorimer remembers a song from his teenage years which I remember well myself but t ...more
Kathleen Gray
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I wish the Lorimer novels were issued in the US in order (and that the order was clear.) This is actually a retitled reissue of a book published in 2014. It's a decent read about terrorism and human trafficking in and around Glasgow coinciding with the Commonwealth Games. Lorimer is, as always, a detective you'd like on the case but some of this felt murky and too forced. Lorimer's wife Maggie is a treat. Thanks to edelweiss for the ARC. Try this if you've read other Lorimer books and if you are ...more
Helen
Glasgow preparing for the Commonwealth Games, and there is a terrorist threat (but not from what might be considered the usual sources); MI6 involvement; a story involving human trafficking; and a story involving an old flame of Lorimer's, which provides a link between the threads. There are a few plot holes, but this is full of the atmosphere of the games and the character of Maggie, Lorimer's wife, is developed a bit. The character of the old girlfriend was almost straight out of Arthurian rom ...more
Lynne
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex-gray
I love books by Alex Gray you're caught up in the story from the first page. There's a good range of diverse, believable characters and the narrative never falters
Les Wilson
Just not for me. I found I couldn't enjoy this book at all.
Gary Van Cott
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Sheila
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Alex Gray novel I've read and I really enjoyed it. I found I was gripped from start to finish and so looking forward to reading more stories with DCI Lorimer.
Kerry Pickens
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
This is the second mystery by this author that I have read, and she keeps getting better. I appreciate her choosing the topic of the relationship between sporting events and sex trafficking. The only fault I can find is the characters are a bit one dimensional. I would like to see more witty dialogue and sarcasm from these world weary policemen.
Natalie Mcmath
Another book I read not having read the ones before it. Nicely though, I don’t feel the previous books are needed as it makes sense anyway. Set in Glasgow (my home) at 2014 commonwealth games made it hard for me to get into and take it seriously mostly because I know the places they talk about (I live next to the Gorbals which is mentioned). I will say that once you get into it it is good and you want to read on to see how it ends. Just didn’t excite me enough for 5 stars
Cheryl
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
I told you on January 8th, when I posted my review of THE SWEDISH GIRL, that I am addicted to this series!!

THE SILENT GAMES is the 11th novel but easily reads as a stand alone.

I have one question for Alex Gray…..how does she do it? How does she write each book with so much suspense, so much plot, so much story? And if you were to ask me which book is my favorite so far, I’ll tell you at the end of my review!

DCI Bill Lorimer has a lot on his plate. He gets called for unexplained large explosion w
Elaine
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this DS Lorimer story, set in Glasgow in the months leading up to the Commonwealth Games. Everybody wants the Games to go ahead with the minimum of disruption, or do they? It is a very complex plot, with several strands to it, that eventually converge and all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place. The story takes place over several months, is gripping, full of danger, intrigue and some parts are quite disturbing. The story is well paced, it unfolds at a leisurely pace and there is ...more
Arthur Okun
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A novel that explores a murderer reasons for killing--money--envy-.
And uses people to gain advantage---But this crime novel has so many parts.
Descriptions of slave traffic-prostitutionn---birds that don't sing because of the harmful creatures that
one must face. Then there is a terrorist group who wish to create disruption during
THE GLASGOW COMMONWEALTH GAMES.
And most of all----Detective Superintendent William Lorimer--how he approaches each happening,
and the companionship of his wife -Maggie a
Will
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the books of Alex Gray and the Lorimer stories. This one wasn't the best and I'm giving it a generous three stars. I don't mind suspending belief for a time but some aspects of this story didn't make sense for me. Especially towards the end the book seemed rushed and completely implausible. Having said that, I enjoyed it in spite of everything and will still be reading another sometime soon.
Michael Craig
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, which I read as a CD, especially as it was set in Glasgow at the time of the Commonwealth Games. I thought his characters were well developed and the plot moved along nicely, though occasionally stereotyped. The ending was a bit weak, I felt he had created a good story, but wasn't sure how he would end it. That said, I would still rate it with 4 stars and recommend it to others.
Donna Irwin
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a DCI Lorimer novel for quite a while. This one had good reviews - I wasn't disappointed. Two interweaving story lines worked really well - though it is always a bit unsettling when the criminal action is taking place in a city (Glasgow) you know and love! The Commonwealth Games bits were a bit far-fetched but well handled. A very satisfying read, and I will be going back to the three Lorimer novels I missed!
Jenifer Mohammed
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-boiled
This was a wonderful mystery that tied in human trafficking with the Commonwealth Games. Gray does a wonderful job in interweaving the personal lives of police officers with their determination to do their jobs. I enjoyed seeing the evolution of her characters from previous mysteries into her newest one.
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
It helped that this was set in Glasgow, so I was reading about places I know and love. Unfortunately, that's where the excitement ended. It was a decent enough story but quite tame and easy to suss out. I might try one of the other books in the series because I did like Lorimer as a character, and I've heard that some of the other books are better. However, I doubt that will be anytime soon.
Valerie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't come across DSI Lorimer before but I am so glad I have. This book hooked me in from the first few pages, the characters both good and bad completely compelling. Had I read this book before the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow I would have been seriously concerned. A brilliant insightful tale and a new author to add to my "Must read" list. Highly recommended.
CuteBadger
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love a crime novel, particularly love a Scottish crime novel and really loved this one. Lorimer and his wife develop as characters, the Commonwealth Games are under threat and all manner of double-dealing ensues. Exciting, well-written and with lots of food for thought about whether the past should be allowed to impact on the present.
Sue Burton
First book I have read from this author and will certainly keep an eye out for her other books. I really liked the character Lorimer but think I needed to read the earlier books to get a better picture of him personally.
Johan Chalmers
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex Gray takes us through the excitment of the build up to the 2014 Commonwealth Games with the seedy world of child traffiking. Bill Lorimer gets his usual cool calm demeanor ruffled by his ex girlfriend.
Well Done to Alex again for showing us the dark side of Glasgow.

• Tell No Tales (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #2)
  • The Memory Killer (Carson Ryder #11)
  • Bloodstream (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #3)
  • Naming the Bones
  • Hour of Darkness (Bob Skinner, #24)
  • Lennox (Lennox, #1)
  • Well of the Winds (DCI Daley, #5)
  • The Case of the Crooked Candle (Perry Mason #24)
  • Laidlaw (Jack Laidlaw, #1)
  • The Fall
  • Island Wife: Living on the Edge of the Wild
  • The Dead Beat
  • Nightshade (Jack Nightingale, #4)
  • The Keeper (DCI Antonia Hawkins, #3)
  • An Arsène Lupin Omnibus
  • The Book of Souls (Inspector McLean, #2)
  • The Lion at Bay (Kingdom #2)
  • Harold Shipman: The True Story of Britain's Most Notorious Serial Killer (True Crime, Serial Killers, Murderers)
Alex Gray was born and educated in Glasgow. She worked as a folk singer, a visiting officer in the DSS and an English teacher. She has been awarded the Scottish Association of Writers Constable and Pitlochry trophies for her crime writing.

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else (DCI Lorimer, #1)
  • A Small Weeping (DCI Lorimer, #2)
  • Shadows of Sounds (Lorimer #3)
  • The Riverman (DCI Lorimer, #4)
  • Pitch Black (Lorimer #5)
  • Glasgow Kiss (Lorimer #6)
  • Five Ways To Kill A Man (Lorimer #7)
  • Sleep Like The Dead (Lorimer #8)
  • A Pound of Flesh (Lorimer #9)
  • The Swedish Girl (Lorimer #10)