Start by marking “The Sighting (The Sighting, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sighting (The Sighting, #1)

The Sighting

(The Sighting #1)

From the ocean, it rose.

A dark, man-like figure emerges from the ocean, stands for just a few moments on the beach, and then retreats back to the surf.

Danny's perspe
Published December 14th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Sighting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sighting

Bandit
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Somehow I’ve accumulated a bunch of Christopher Coleman’s books on my Kindle, all freebies at one time or another, so I figured I’d give him a try via a noncommittal novella length story. Or maybe it’s just that it’s set on the beach. Or maybe it’s the fact that there is a sea monster. Probably all of that. Danny, the protagonist of the story is living a dream funded by residuals from a popular song he wrote, no work for Danny, just leisure and sunshine in a small beach town. Until one morning h ...more
Anne
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Well, I did enjoy the story. It was original and pretty well written. What I don’t like is when an author tacks on a couple of chapters of one of their other books so you think you’re buying a full novel when you really aren’t. The length of this story is more like a novella at just under 100 pages. That’s fine but don’t mislead us into thinking we’re buying a longer novel. Also, take the time to edit fully. Such simple things as of and off reversed many times, and using minke whale at the start ...more
Amanda
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Coleman can do creepy, that's been proven. You have to give the guy some stars for imagination, and I did. What made me hold back on a 4th was how vile I found the characters. Worse than vile is boring, they bored me! The premise was truly unique but the evolution was stunted. I feel like I want to give it back and say, no, please redo it, I know you can do better.
Bonnie Dale Keck
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
kindle unlimited, read all the 'Gretel' series except new one due out soonish so had to check this one out. Would put strange but well lots of Coleman's are that.

Every fourteen months it appears on a secluded beach in a small town just before dawn. One morning during his daily run to the beach, Danny Lynch witnesses the strangest and most incredible thing he's ever seen. A dark, man-like figure emerges from the ocean, stands for just a few moments on the beach, and then retreats back to the surf
Cathy
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the author. I had the opportunity to review or not.

Christopher Coleman’s tales are frightening and eerie. I enjoyed both stories. Although they closely resemble other tales, each one has its own style and development.

The second tale is also one of survival. A man our for a run sees something very strange. He cannot fully understand exactly what he has seen, but it becomes an obsession with him. He has to figure out what it was. He returns to the scene da
Karrie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love Coleman's writing!

Another new author to be excited about! Loved the Gretel series, so I decided to give this series a go! A bit different type of tale than I usually read, as many " sea creature ",Bigfoot", and other mythical or unknown beast tales can fall short.
Thankfully, there are the ones that rise above the generic and bring these creatures to life! Into our reality for at least the time of the reading! And if we are really fortunate, much longer. Coleman has accomplished this with
Katie Rotton
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, my-reviews
The Sighting was a great, quick read! The well developed plot and characters made it pretty easy to get caught up in the possibility of animals/creatures yet to be discovered. I don't want to give anything away but this story was a fun, quick read for a Sunday!

**On a side note, there are several small mistakes that editors missed. It wasn't too distracting from the story and may only be noticeable to grammar freaks, like me. Ha! Anyway, perhaps they will be fixed at some point. (I'm available t
T.D. Edwards
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book that happens when indie authors/publishers do it right.

When protagonist Danny Lynch sees a monster on the beach, he is understandably weirded out by the sighting, and is subsequently left trying to wrap his mind around it. Ultimately, his investigation leads him in too deep, in ways that he and readers alike don't see coming.

"The Sighting" is intriguing, mysterious, and downright creepy. For such a short book and an easy read, the characters are very well-developed, and
Andi
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christopher Coleman's The Sighting is more a thriller than anything else. Coleman explores the idea of what if you saw something no one would believe, does that make it any less real?

Danny sees something during is morning ritual, a run then a swim in the ocean. He understands even as it's happening, no one is going to believe him.

What I found most interesting about this story, was the parallels that Coleman creates. Danny and the mysterious woman, who could hold the key to what he saw, have mo
Bob
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, horror
This would have been a decent 1960s-70s monster movie that played in drive-in theaters with 2 other equally awful films. Decent being a relative term. A decent monster movie is roughly equivalent to a really bad normal movie. Anyway, this book features a sea monster, or "God" who comes out of the sea every 14 months to feed on unsuspecting victims supplied by a helper on-shore. A jogger happens on the monster one morning on one of his pre-dawn jogs to the ocean. Horrors ensue.
Heidi
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-suspense
I absolutely loved this book! I read it in a day. It is well written, Christopher Coleman makes you believe his horrifying tales of suspense could really happen. I could see a follow up book, but it is a complete tale on its own. The sighting draws you in and keeps you interested all the way through. I think it is really cool that there is a story within a story, and you find out about what has happened in the past as well as the present.
Camilla Hansen
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I feel like the main issue was the mystery disappeared top quickly for me. Then it was more about characters and their fates.

What was sighted, who the woman was etc. - it was all revealed early and I started to lose interest a bit as I read it for the mystery of these.. And stuff started happening to characters before you even properly established their personalities, so I was just bothered reading those parts.
Claudia
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Original, entertaining and scary, this is a good book, except that the end feels rushed. I also would have enjoyed a little bit more info on the creature. I know that in horror, the unknown is scarier than what we can see, but it's a little frustrating.

Nevertheless, it scared me, the plot is intriguing, and it trapped me from the very beginning, therefore the four stars.
Connie Rocke
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unusual

I did like this horror/mystery novel. The writing is well done and the premise is very interesting. Even though one can predict to a certain extent the basis of the horror (done purposely by the author), it was still intriguing.
I would recommend this somewhat short novel for an interesting read.
LaGina
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really wasnt in the Christmas mood this year and when I read this book I was so happy that I wasnt. I was able to sit and get into this book from the very first chapter. The only messed up thing is is that I live near the beach and do enjoy it on occasion. I can tell you right now....I'm more of a pool person now.
Anike Kirsten
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable, wuick read.

I really enjoyed the story, short as it is. It's a light horror, perfect for rainy nights.

The head-hopping was a bit confusing, and I'm left wanting more from both the narrative and the plot. The character arc is solid, however, and I'm so glad it went negative. And Coleman's pacing set the omnious mood quite well.
Rick Rawes
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The sighting is a good story with a clear pace, a sea creature and some thoughtful gory description. It's worth a read but does suffer a little from too many horror cliches that make the story quite predictable for even casual horror fans. But if you don't mind knowing where you're going, you'll still enjoy getting there.
Jameson Skaife
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok book. Kind of interesting premise but there are major holes. There's also alot of super convenient coincidences. A number of chapters towards the end explore the same scene from 2 differ t perspectives, whish is interesting but super redundant when they're going over the same dialog and actions you literally just read word for word.
Lynda
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy swimming in the ocean, I wouldn't read this story. The characters are well written with just enough information to understand how they've gotten to this point in their lives. The suspense keeps you reading until you finish the last page. At the end you are wondering...would I end up the same way? Very enjoyable.
Rose
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rose

People killing each other in stories happens in lots of books. When I read this story, the people were inspiring, as they tried to find answers. I enjoyed each one of them as well as reading what happened to each one. Great story!
Cathy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read...although pretty predictable. Interesting enough to finish.

Danny sees a creature walk out of the water and even manages to snap some pictures, on his early morning beach run. After that it becomes important that he find out more. Perfect read for a stormy night.
Vicki Doris
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Sighting

I liked the eeriness of the initial sighting and the delay in the explanation of the reason for the creature. This made it even more suspenseful. The description of it and how it killed it’s “sacrifices” was very graphic but satisfying.
Teresa S
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A dark tale about a murderer and her successor and the ocean god who accepts their sacrifice. Very well written, with a great plot and characters, lots of action and a few twists for good measure. I truly enjoyed it!
SpicyTofu
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A tad disappointed in the character development towards the end, but overall this book was a very good, short read to appease my horror needs. Christopher Coleman has definitely sparked my interest. Will be looking out for more of his novels.
Jeannine Hardiman
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interestingly weird

Honestly it is a very very strange story. Not at all what I had expected when I started reading it. So if you like strange this ones for you! P.S. I guess I do like strange because I did like it.
Dominga Garamillo
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great author

I have read all your Gretal and Ha
nsel , Anika, and The Sightings books. I couldn't stop once I started. Scary, emotional, and kind of sad. Good reading.
Michelle Johnson
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spine tingling

Great book I really enjoyed this book. It was suspenseful and a page turner. Recommend this book to anyone who likes this type of book
Beth Wilson
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Good

This is a good book. It was not as scary as I hoped. The pacing was good, and the storyline hooked my from the first page.
Judy
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect but this was a good book. It made me want to stay away from the beach in the early morning hours.
Maria
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scary and realistic

I liked this story about a man who is not happy with his life but events happen to make him appreciate life. I will read more from this author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Christopher Coleman lives in Maryland with his wife and two children. He is a graduate of the University of Maryland with a degree in English Literature. A fan of classic and modern horror and thriller movies, his favorite movies are Rosemary's Baby and The Ring. When he's not writing fiction, you can find him reading, taking his kids to and from various sporting activities or watching horror movi ...more

The Sighting (2 books)
  • The Origin (The Sighting #2)
“Lynn put her hands to her mouth and began sobbing, the shame that was the true source of her weeping disguised by the overwhelming emotion that was known to accompany such events as a proposal of marriage. “Lynn?” Lyle giggled at her reaction. “It’s okay, baby.” He stood now, facing his assumed” 0 likes
“What do you know about fish anyway? I thought you were a bug expert.” 0 likes