Start by marking “The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, November/December 2017 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, #734)” as Want to Read:

The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, November/December 2017
Charles de Lint - Books to Look For
Michelle West - Musing on Books
Marc Laidlaw - Stillborne
Larry Niven - By the Red Gian
Published October 2017 by Spilogale, Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, November/December 2017

G33z3r
Nice issue.

" Attachments" by Kate Wilhelm
A ghost story from Kate Wilhelm, as the protagonist gets stuck with a haunting. I'm not usually into ghost stories, but this one has a logic to it I kind of enjoyed. ****

"Carbo by Nick Wolven
A guy whose college buddy "upgraded" his car's AI tries to live with a smart car that's more boldly fun-loving and horny than he is. Wolven has been funnier. ***1/2*

"By the Red Giant's Light" by Larry Niven
Oh, goodie, a Niven story! On a far future Pluto, a lone human
Basia
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
C.C. Finlay liked my review!!!
This magazine has never disappointed. I always find a few gems therein. This one had a story by Meg Elison inside. Wonderful. Perhaps in the top 3 of the year’s issues.
Standback
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A variety of really powerful stories -- and, as always, something for everybody. I think this is the strongest issue of F&SF this year.

My standout stories:

Water God's Dog, by R.S. Benedict. A hard-hitting story of a world that lives at the mercy of its remote water god. The god is ostensibly benevolent, but the story makes clear how precarious is the charity of those who have amassed power. The story works beautifully on both levels; as a self-contained story, and as a mirror of late-stage c
Renee Babcock
Stand out stories for me were Stillborne by Marc Laidlaw, By the Giant's Red Light by Larry Niven and Water God's Dog by R. S. Benedict. A solid issue.

The Laidlaw has characters from several other stories but I didn't feel I missed anything not having familiarity with the earlier stories. It started out a little slow for me and I thought it was going to be a particular kind of story. But it ended up being something very different and I ended up loving it way more than I thought I would.

This is
Soh Kam Yung
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
An above average issue, with a ghostly theme running through it with various ghosts in various forms featured in some of the stories. Kate Wilhelm's ghost story is the strongest with a test of wills between ghosts and the living. Marc Laidlaw's story is another good one, while the tale by J. R. Dawson features a metaphorical ghost from the future, or perhaps the past, depending on your time point of view.

- "Attachments" by Kate Wilhelm: an interesting story about ghosts who are cursed to be att
J L
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: The joke I submitted about the Matrix was published in this issue.
With that said every story was solidly entertaining.
Mary Soon Lee
The stories in this issue of F&SF range from time travel, to ghosts, to a clever extrapolation of the sleazy side of self-driving cars, to a space race round one of Saturn's rings. I liked all three of the short stories, liked Marc Laidlaw's novella "Stillborne" better, and liked R. S. Benedict's unusual, beautifully-written novelette "Water God's Dog" most of all. Benedict's tale reminds me that is long, long overdue that I read the "Epic of Gilgamesh." Not that "Water God's Dog" features G ...more
John Loyd
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fsf
8 • Attachments • 27 pages by Kate Wilhelm
Excellent/VG. Drew visits ruins in England and two ghosts attach themselves to her. They draw energy from her making her feel as if she is going to die. That's not what they want. They have unfinished business.

35 • Carbo • 31 pages by Nick Wolven
Very Good. Jim gets a car when he's in high school. At the start of a road trip while in college a friend plays with Carbo's programming which leaves Carbo with some quirks. The adaptive programming in Carbo g
Leroy Erickson
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fandsfmag
This issue had three very good stories and one not so good story, and the rest were better than average.

Kate Wilhelm - Attachments - 4 stars
- An unusual ghost story, well written, a fairly unique idea.

Nick Wolven - Carbo - 5 stars
- Beware of self-driving, intelligent cars. Ya know, that virus that infected your PC? Well ...

Meg Elison - Big Girl - 5 stars
- A girl suddenly grows gigantic, I mean really gigantic! How does society respond? And then what happens when she starts shrinking?

Marc Laid
Michael Frasca
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite stories:

- Marc Laidlaw - Stillborne
- J. R. Dawson - Marley and Marley (I will nominate for Hugo)
- David Erik Nelson - Whatever Comes After Calcutta (another one I will nominate)
Shona Kinsella
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent as always. I especially enjoyed Stillborne and Water God’s Dog.
Emmett Hoops
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good issue, but with only two stories that I can recall easily: Carbo and Attachments. The novella was a big fantasy piece, and I'm not a big fan of wizards and such. But it's a good fantasy novella. All in all, certainly worth reading.
Rachel
Jan 03, 2018 added it
Shelves: stories, 2018
My favorites in this issue were all by women:
heartbreaker / head-scratcher "Big Girl" by Meg Elison
SPEED-RACER STAR WARS NASCAR ON SATURN"Racing the Rings of Saturn" by Ingrid Garcia
time travel foster care flip-flop personas "Marley and Marley" by J.R. Dawson

I also mostly loved David Erik Nelson's "Whatever Comes After Calcutta" mostly for the body horror and MAGA witch hunt.
Jason Dean
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. A few good stories.
Deborah Replogle
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
As always, the first thing I read when it becomes available. Love this magazine forever.
Elihu
Amy
Oct 25, 2017
Lisa
Nov 10, 2017
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon Award (2009)