Start by marking “By Fairy Means or Foul (Starfig Investigations, #1)” as Want to Read:
By Fairy Means or Foul (Starfig Investigations, #1)

By Fairy Means or Foul

(Starfig Investigations #1)

The last thing half-dragon, half-fairy private investigator Twig Starfig wants to do is retrieve a stolen enchanted horn from a treacherous fae, but there’s no denying the dazzlingly gorgeous unicorn who asks Twig to do just that. Literally, no denying, because compelling the reluctant detective is all part of a unicorn’s seductive magic.

To add to his woes, Twig is saddl
Audible Audio, 9 pages
Published October 12th 2017 by Meghan Maslow (first published September 29th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about By Fairy Means or Foul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Fairy Means or Foul

Start your review of By Fairy Means or Foul (Starfig Investigations, #1)
Susan
Aug 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I didn’t expect it, but I kind of hated this book. You know when you read a book that you really don’t like and it makes you frustrated and angry and sad and makes you question all your life choices. Yeah, that was me last night when I was reading this.

This had all the ingredients of an amazing book. But it wasn’t the book for me..

That was mostly because of 3 things.

The first is that I expected this book to be funny. But characters with funny names does not a funny book make. It was like th
Simone
Hands down this was the best audiobook I've ever listened to so far!!!

Greg Boudreaux, aka Greg Tremblay, has outdone himself with his narration.
THIS. WAS. EPIC.

To be honest, this is a book I normally never would have picked up, if it weren't for him being the narrator. But something that brought me to my happy place everytime I listened to it, even if real life is no fun at all at the moment, deserves all the stars.
Meags
4 Stars

By Fairy Means or Foul was a fantastical and fun read, featuring a delicious mixed bag of extraordinary magical beings, including everything from wizards, fairies and dragons, to giants, zombies, demons and more.

The story follows half-breed Twig Starfig, who is a one of a kind part-fairy/part-dragon mix, who works as a PI specialising in retrieving missing and/or stolen magical artefacts. When a devious unicorn hires Twig to find his horn, young human Quinn Broomsparkle – who was once a
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Narration: 5 stars
Book: 2 stars

I really like Meghan Maslow as a person, and I was hoping to love By Fairy Means or Foul like most of my friends, but it turned out not to be the story for me.

I think... I sort of hate Twig?? How come he barely bats an eye when he finds out Quinn was kept as a sex slave and abused and raped? He's like, "well, I guess that's what you get." Twig was hypocritical and annoying and I never warmed to him. And Quinn was just... meh.

The plot was supposed to be more fun
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I'm ending 2020 with a bang. I desperately needed some raucous fun and this may be the only banging good read I get out of this sucktastic year.

Twig, Pi, Quin and the rag-tag crew of misfits in the capable hands of Mr. Boudreaux deliver the giggles and good feels. Every time.

***************************************************************************

Re-listen 2/18

GR rully needs a 6th star. For special occasions. I am just saying.

********************************************************************
Shile
5++++++++ stars for the Audiobook

Greg Boudreaux's Aka Greg Tremblay narration was perfect. He had a distinct voice for each character. Damn! the guy has an amazing voice and talent.

description

Son of a Banshee! this was book had me like:

description

-It is OTP and Ridiculous but did i care? nope

- We have a Half Dragon, Half Fairy MC

-A sassy loud-mouth Human Wizard.

- A Fairy Father.

-An awful, bad Unicorn.

- A Ghost Parrot

-A Very polite nice Demon and other weird creatures

Put all these creatures together and you get an adv
Lost in a Book
Update: Just finished the audio and OMGGGGGGGGGG so freakin' good. I spent way too much brainpower wondering how the hell Greg Boudreaux could make all those voices. They didn't even sound like the same person and that is amazing. I'm in awe of his talent and once again, I profess that if he narrates it, I'll definitely be listening to it.
SO. GOOD.

***********************************************
Original Review:

All the stars!!!

Unicorn Gang Bang with SRAL, JL, R, Sara, Lori

All the stars.

excite

I just
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Hearts!

Lately, I’ve been very lucky, and a bit tickled pink, to find some great urban fantasy M/M and this was no exception. If you like magic and fantastical creatures with plenty of adventure, then this is for you!

This starts off with Twig - a half fairy and half dragon combo. He doesn’t quite fit in with either side of his dual natures but capitalizes on his talents by owning an investigative business specializing in finding things. When a sparkly compelling unicorn asks him to retrieve hi
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Interesting, but it got ruined*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The book centers around half-dragon, half-fairy private investigator Twig Starfig and bed servant to a unicorn, Quinn Broomsparkle. Even though the dragon part of Twig is dominant,
he can't fly; he has tiny, useless wings as big as his hands ((view spoiler)). He's too big of a size to be accepted by the fairies, and too small for the dragons. All by hi
Lorraine Lesar
This had my name stamped all over it, it called to me like those Sirens luring seafarers to their death and to be honest, I also nearly died. Not from them though, but from all the confusion!
Many are going to disagree, I can accept that. My mind is wired to the simple things in life and when I get confused, I get lost.
There were so many characters, I couldn’t keep up. Kept on refreshing reading, to remind myself of who was who and considering I started this book 16 days ago, you can see how muc
Jenni Lea
Duuuuuuuude!!!

This is like, my FAVORITE book of the summer! EVERYONE needs to read this!

I adored this story of the curmudgeonly dragon-fairy (Fragon? Drairy?) Twig and Quinn, the human slave-boy he's sworn to protect. Twig is a private investigator who is hired by Brandsome Nightwind, a unicorn (unicorn!) of questionable intent, to find his missing horn. He's a bit strapped for cash and can't pay the down payment Twig requires so he offers his slave boy Quinn up as collateral. Twig, who can't st
Shin Mon Thway
This is a one colorful book. 😂 Yup, that’s the first word that came to my mind when I think about it. I mean just think of any magical or mythical creatures that you can come up with and I’m sure they are included in this novel. 😁 And the banters here are just pure gold. 🧡 Hilarious! And witty! 😉 I had pure bliss reading this novel. This book had been sitting on my kindle forever but Cupcake’s review finally pushed me to read this one so I have to give a special shout out to her. 😘

Have you ever
SheReadsALot
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thick as Thieves, Lord Mouse fans
Big ol' unicorn gangbang review with Lost in a Book, R *A Reader Obsessed*, JL, Sara and Lori

4.25 HEARTS--

"Twig, you're so much more. Who'd want to be average when you can be extraordinary?"

What can I say that hasn't been said already by fantasy road trip romance, By Fairy Means or Foul?

It was epic and definitely went big, instead of mailing it in, in the fantastical department!

Hm, indeed.

It's been
Lisazj1
Audio reread January 2021

I didn't think this could possibly get better, but when I'm wrong, I'm wrong in a big way! Everything is better when Greg Boudreaux/Tremblay is reading!! 😍 This was ah-maz-ing, I don't think I've ever heard characters more perfectly voiced since Michael Lesley for The Lightning-Struck Heart. I was a fan of Greg before this but I think this is my favorite from him to this point!! Perfection in audio. ❤️

I got a lot of audio/ebooks for Christmas and my birthday from my awes
Eugenia
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Funny and Creative!

This book is like Piers Anthony’s Xanth series for grown ups!!

Imagine a magical realm where just about every type of magical creature exists, sex abounds, unicorns are evil, and demons civilized and you have this book. Also, try to picture a fairy and a dragon having sex. It’s hard, I know....male fairy, female dragon shifter....fairy as big as your hand....it’s a definite brain teaser. I still can’t picture it, but the result of that glorious union is Twig Starfig. Half d
Madison Warner Fairbanks
By Fairy Means or Foul by Megan Maslow

First book in the Starfig Investigation series.
Paranormal or fantasy M-M romantic detective type adventure. Sarcasm and strange events that are often humorous. I laughed out loud at the demon lusting over the unicorn.

A half dragon half fairy main character, a human wizard, a ghost parrot and a demon office admin. Quite the combination.
M-M sex is included. The first scene was detailed but after that it was referred to more with warmth and humor than a actual
Renée
~3.5 stars~

I have to say that I was thoroughly entertained the whole time while reading this one. The story is clever and fascinating.

What didn't work was the romance. I never got the feelz or connected to the characters. And the ending was so abrupt, I have no idea if they get from a HFN to a HEA.

For fans of fantasy, looking for a good story, I'd recommend. Lacking in the romance a smidge, though.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This book was amazing!

When Twig is tasked with finding a unicorn's horn, he is given Quinn, a human servant as payment, what follows is their epic journey. Twig and Quinn are fantastic together. I haven't laughed so hard this week. I can't wait to read more , I need more of Pie and Bill too.

You have got to read this.
Melissa
2020 ebook review
First, there is a book 3 listed on goodreads!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited!!

A complimentary ebook was provided in exchange for an honest review.

I don't know about everyone else, but me, there are just some books I want to experience EVERYTHING. I first listened to this story and my enjoyment was beyond words. When the chance to actually read the written words on page came my way, I had to jump on the chance. Again, there are just some books I want to absorb in every way and I could S
Jennifer☠Pher☠
I loved this.

It was balanced perfectly.

I laughed out loud.

I can't wait for more.
Jenni Lea
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible

Fabulous narrator, no matter what name he goes by. Another eargasm inducing experience for the record books.
Arunimaa
Wow, this was unexpected.

*4.75 stars*

Before I begin, I just want to say that the BFMOF audiobook was by far THE BEST audiobook I have ever listened to.

When I say this was unexpected, what I mean is that yes, I had expected an interesting gay romance but I had just not expected the worldbuilding to be so brilliant and entertaining. BFMOF is a gay romance set in a fantastical world. It's historical fictionish. Nowhere has it been mentioned so but I think you can surmise as much from the way e
Len Evans Jr
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This was more than wonderful, it made me laugh, cry and it was sexy as hell.
Josy
~ 4.5 stars ~

The most important thing to say about this book is that Greg Boudreaux's narration (also known as Greg Tremblay) was absolute perfection! He gets all the stars for this one and I honestly think I wouldn't have enjoyed the book so much had I read it.

Apart from that, this is a light, humorous fantasy story that is kinda crazy and weird. I mean, it includes a half-dragon/half-fairy (I don't even want to know how that worked, lol!) named Twig and a human named Quinn who is more special
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
Freakin' Amazeballs!

This has it all, and I am sooo hoping that continues in the series. I laughed, giggled angry screeched and even had my toes curled. Seriously, there is a particular scene that was steamy!!

I love Twig, Quinn, Pie & Bill and want to join the the group! I want to go on adventures with these guys!!

I will definitely be checking out more of this authors work and recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy romp!
Gerbera_Reads
DNF at 31%

Not my thing at all. The book is written very well, but I am just not interested in continuing. I was very curious about it, and now I am not. *sigh*
M'rella
Similar books: Lord Mouse, Thick as Thieves

This book is a light humorous adventure/quest.

Brandsome the Unicorn lost his horn. He hires a PI named Twig, half-dragon/half-elf, who takes the job and promises to find the horn in question and bring it back.

Being put down as a collateral for down payment, Quinn, the unicorn's human sex slave, takes on the role of a side-kick to Twig.

After three years of slavery and abuse, Quinn is happy for a short break, even more so because he adores his handsome
Lulu
Adventure

Loved it! All the colorful creatures with a healthy dose of humor. Add to that a PI what else? The audio was also amazing

What happened to the original review? I know there was one!!!
Ariana
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun, and I had a thoroughly good time.

To make this short:

a. I loved both MCs equally:
Twig is the most swoon-worthy half dragon/half fairy I’ve come across. No, jokes aside – he is a genuinely nice and decent guy who shines with his 'humanity' and fairness.

Quinn is snarky and sarcastic (he had me chuckle on quite a few occasions.), but also vulnerable and a bit sad – which is always a great combination.

b. My favourite thing here is how the author turns around preconceived ideas of fant
Karen
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
So what's a unicorn to do when...

he loses his horn...well, he goes to a private detective of course and not just any private detective but one who's the offspring of a dragon and a fairy and when he can't pay the P.I.'s fee of course you offer up your sex slave who just happens to be a wizard who well...can't wizard because he can't seem to find a familiar...it's a long story and if you want to make this even more fun you listen to it on audio.

So right about now you're probably wondering 'S
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Hexes and Horns (Magic Emporium)
  • A Dragon's Fortune (Magic Emporium)
  • The Muffin Man (Magic Emporium)
  • Of Secrets and Wolves (Winsford Shifters #1)
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • Fluke and the Faithless Father (The Fantastic Fluke, #2)
  • Knight and Day (Magic Emporium)
  • Chaos Moon (Four Moons, #2)
  • Brought to Light (Magic Emporium)
  • Henchman's Mate
  • Jon's Boom Shaka Laka Problem (Jon’s Mysteries, #4)
  • Of Betrayal and Monsters (Winsford Shifters, #2)
  • Elven Duty (Magic Emporium)
  • How to Lure a Hunter (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #3)
  • Dead Moon (Four Moons #3)
  • How to Steal a Thief (Unholy Trifecta, #2)
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • Nudging Fate (Enchanted Occasions, #1)
See top shelves…
MEGHAN MASLOW is truly a rare breed. No, not a unicorn (although that would be sooo cool). She’s a—gasp!—extroverted writer.

She believes that life is meant to be lived. Preferably with lots of people around. Every day is an adventure, or should be. She’s spent a large portion of her life working and living in various countries in Africa. She’s multitalented, having perfected the art of eavesdroppi

Starfig Investigations (3 books)
  • Be Fairy Game (Starfig Investigations, #2)
  • His Fairy Share (Starfig Investigations, #3)

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...
“I don't know how humans managed to get around at all. Blind, practically deaf, and no sense of smell. How they'd survived this long I couldn't even imagine. Uncontrolled breeding and pure stubbornness, probably.” 7 likes
“Well that deflated my cock faster than a werebeaver with braces offering free blowjobs.” 6 likes