Start by marking “October” as Want to Read:
October

October

For Emily Baxter, life is simple. Her world is made up completely of school, church, and the community in the small farming town she calls home. All that changes one fateful Sunday, when a new girl shows up at Pleasanton Baptist—a girl unlike anyone Emily has ever seen. A girl with long red hair, crystal green eyes, and style and posture like royalty.

A girl named October.

T
Published October 24th 2017

To ask other readers questions about October, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about October

Morgan
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a somewhat difficult book to review. It's not the sort of book you can act all excited for, rave about, drum up hype for. That feels disrespectful and even somewhat wrong. Because this isn't one of those fandom-type books. It's too deep and sensitive and powerful and real for that sort of treatment.

It's a very good book. A very important book. It's a very moving book, even generating some tears from me—the girl who almost never cries over fiction. It's a book that will stay with me.

At fi
Kelsey Bryant
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is just what I appreciate—it’s about the little yet so big things in life. The things we all encounter and try to make sense of, especially those of us with a poetical perspective who look beyond the ordinary, like Emily Baxter and October Blake. The lessons, the interactions, the activities, the ponderings that constitute our life from moment to moment yet have the power to alter it beyond recognition.

I loved October, a sweet, lovely, and unique young woman who carries a struggle tha
Tarissa
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am genuinely intrigued by J. Grace Pennington's new novel. Why? It's heavy on the emotion, and it's thrilling; I sensed the intensity of it all throughout the story. The feelings go deep, the plot deals with modern issues, and overall, the message is honest. I felt right up close and personal to the story, as if the characters were my friends, their problems mine.

It's the kind of book where I didn't want to put it down for later, even when I had to. It starts out delightfully – with the beginn
Maddy
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Wow, this book is so beautiful and so deep. I definitely recommend it.
Perry
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad and super insightful and magical

Sad and super insightful and magical all at the same time. Deals with weighty issues like mental illness and self-harm, but does so with kindness and sympathy and even poetry. :)
Raechel
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
4.5 stars.
This is a hard book to review. But not because it wasn’t good. Because it was very good. It was both delightful and rather heart-wrenching. So much beauty, and yet, there was also pain. That’s how life is, isn’t it?
This book was like a whisper. It wasn’t loud or bursting. It was soft, and gentle, like a Fall breeze. Yet it had it’s deeper message, and the ending was bittersweet.
The characters were so very well constructed. So real – this whole book really was. From page one, the writi
Leah Good
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
How well do we know the people around us? What lies beneath the surface? How much is real and how much is the mask that we present the world? How much "mask" is okay--even necessary?

Emily Baxter lives in a small town where everyone knows one another and life is simple. She's a little bit unique for her love of dragons and fairy tales, a little bit different because of the way unusual things and people fascinate her, but for the most part she's a very normal seventeen year old. When a new girl wi
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t going to read this novel. Oh, don’t get me wrong. Grace Pennington is one of my favorite authors. I'm always blown away by her skill and powerful storytelling. However, I knew this book was going to be sad and hard to read. I decided to pick it up, and my heart is indeed in a thousand little pieces, like the feeling you get at the end of Camelot: You wanted a different ending so much, and yet, your heart is aching with the beauty of the conclusion that is there.

Emily is a wonderful char
Allyson
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

October by J. Grace Pennington is a story of friendship between cousins Emily and Jax, and a new young woman who goes to their church, October Blake. I've been wanting to read this book for a while (October being my favorite month and all), and I'm glad to say that while this book was different from what I imagined, it was still a cute read.

Highlights:

October: October herself was like a personified version of the month she's named after: vibrant yet reserved, warm yet
Victoria Lynn
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
his book grabbed me when I saw that she had released it. I love books like this and this one sounded so promising. Not to mention, the cover made me swoon. SO PRETTY! *all the heart eyes*

I am here to tell you that it is TOTALLY WORTH IT!

This is a book that most people wouldn’t expect from the author who writes predominately sci-fi. But I was enthralled. It was just the kind of book that I love.

A sweet, hometown, simple, but heartbreaking story of young people who become friends.

To most that migh
Erika Mathews
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story - the type that’s refreshing to read, even through its depth and sadness. The simplicity, the straightforward storytelling, the normal characters, the magic and beauty of the little things of everyday life, the slowly blossoming friendships, the struggles to receive truth and reject lies, the underlying tension of a private, unshared life, the questions and uncertainties - everything about this story was beautiful.

Even though I usually prefer third person POVs, first p
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The perfectly crafted tension in this coming-of-age tale was quite surprising to me. (I guess I have learned to not expect a lot from self-published Amazon offerings.) The mystery that pervades every page makes you want to keep reading and the deft showing-not-telling lets you think and feel about the story with no constraints from the author. Although the book suffers from a bit of awkwardness and a couple of scenes seemed a little overdone, the overall impact is deep and memorable. I will defi ...more
Aria
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
HELP I AM GOING TO BE SOBBING FOR WEEKS.

I LOVED this book. I love the small-town aspect and the friendship between Em and Tobi and the cute little brother and the emotions and JAX. I WANT JAX. I need a cousin like him. But Grace dealt with depression so well in this book, it was so well done. AND THE ENDING BROKE MY HEART. This was a really, really good book.
JD Sutter
Still processing this one. Not sure how to feel about it. :)
Stacey
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ivie
This book...

There were so many aspects of this book that I loved and so many aspects that confused me.

I guess I should start at the beginning. This book is about Emily and her obsession with the new girl in town, October Blake. Sounds like a preppy name, doesn't it? Well, don't let that fool you. October was a brilliant character. She was the one with stars in her eyes and dreams in her mind and fear in her heart. I loved reading about her journey through depression and anxiety and conquering h
Hailey Rose
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
WOW. October totally surprised me, but in a good way. It's a perfect slow down book, one that makes you want to soak up every beautiful word and cherish them all. This is the first book I've read by this author and her writing is absolutely stunning. Very L. M. Montgomery-esque. This book deals with some harsh issues (self harm) so I would not recommend it to anyone under 16. Still, the issues were dealt with realistically and respectfully. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author!
Cherry Christensen
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I sensed that this book was going to have me crying at the end. The mood of the story had me humming the song When October Goes, leaving me a bit sad and contemplative. The bond between Emily, Jax, and October was strong, but not powerful enough to prevent the inevitable tragedy. If you're looking for a story that will touch your heart and strengthen your faith, read October.
S.G. Willoughby
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow. This book was... just wow. It was beautiful. It was full of childlike whimsey. It was dark and heavy and painful. It was healing and heartbreaking.

What first drew me to this book was honestly the simple, beautiful intriguing cover. I know, I know, bad reader habits. Then I read some of the reviews and the blurb and such and decided I wasn't quite ready for at the time. It sounded like it might hit a little too close to home, despite having read other books by the author and trusting her to
Kaitlyn S.
It has taken me a while to get my thoughts in order to actually write a coherent review of this book. It was a beautiful book, a melancholy book, and I am so glad I read it!

This book is a relaxing read, in some ways. It is about everyday life; a normal, everyday, sleepy little town. To this town comes a girl. A young lady, really, who is 22 years old. And it just gets better.

This girl, October, is very much like Anne, the character from Green Gables. She finds the magic in life, in everyday, or
R.J. Rodda
3.5

At the beginning there is a sweetness to this book that recalls a more innocent time. Emily is a teenager when a new, older girl, October, comes to church. She is visiting their small town and Emily becomes fascinated with her. With her cousin, Jax, they have picnics together and go for long walks. October believes in creating magical moments and there is something other-worldly about her. It is obvious too that she is keeping secrets.

Of course two girls and a guy hanging out ends up becomin
Jessica
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know how to put the experience of this book into words. It hit me in so many powerful ways:

- I'm inspired by October's appreciation of nature and everyday magic. She's perfectly whimsical.

- The friendships were realistic and heartwarming. I like how there's growth in side relationships too, like Emily and her younger brother. It's subtle, but it's there.

- The height of the final conflict when all the secrets come out - it was well done, but oh! The whole topic (sorry, speaking gener
Rocky Henriques
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this one!

This was the first of this author's books I've read, and I really enjoyed it. I like that the story is told very well without profanity, and that the tenets of Christianity are woven into the plot without seeming preachy or unnatural. The characters are well-developed, so that I almost could see October's green eyes and red hair. I don't know what this author's other books are like, but I really hope she keeps writing!
Saphraneet
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, spirituality
This book actually approaches 4.5. It was a deeply moving book.
Addyson Huneke
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very heavy book, but very good.
Julian Daventry
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Wasn't really a favorite genre, and I found the MC's obsession with October rather uncomfortable. That ENDING though....that made me cry.
Katie
Apr 10, 2018
Ophelia Flowers
Jun 18, 2018
Rebekah
Feb 19, 2018
David Denton
May 08, 2018
I am J. Grace Pennington, author, daughter, sister, Christian. I love Jesus more than life itself. I love the wind on my face. I love my family. I love to be alone and listen to beautiful music. I love dark chocolate. I love to learn about the human body and how it fails and heals. I love relationships and psychology. I love good stories. I love horses. I love to look up at the stars. I love good ...more
“Whenever a decision is made in the heat of the moment—when we allow ourselves to be carried on joy or sorrow or mere simplicity and quiet—whatever it is, a moment of magic is created. Not always good magic, of course. But magic, nonetheless.” 1 likes
“I was learning more and more as the weeks went by that moments to her were not pieces of time, but threads in a tapestry that wove her life together with the lives of others in the fabric of events and circumstances.” 0 likes