Start by marking “Mr. North” as Want to Read:
Mr. North

Mr. North

Law student Beth Dreymon is out of money and struggling hard. If she wants to finish her degree, she’s going to have to earn some money and fast. When she learns of an exciting opportunity—playing chess with New York’s most elusive billionaire—the offer sounds too good to be true. Reassured the offer is legit, Beth gets her game face on and prepares to geek out...

Only, whe

To ask other readers questions about Mr. North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. North

Start your review of Mr. North
Jen
I had a hard time getting emotionally attached to the characters in this book, and I found the relationship between Raph and Beth went way too fast! They fell in love way too fast for me to feel there was any kind of connection between the two. Neither one of them had even let their walls down before there was declaration of major feelings.

When the sex comes into play, the BDSM aspect also felt off to me. I can’t exactly pinpoint why, but maybe it boils down to lack of connection.

I do feel this
~Stéphanie's Journal~
Nov 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc
I wasn't expecting this to turn into such an unpleasant read when I started reading Mr North. It wasn't before the 30-35% mark that the book took a turn on the wrong side for me. I haven't read a lot of Callie Hart's books but I heard a lot of my friend talking about how great her male characters are and to some extent Raphael North was quite appealing.

At the beginning, he's quite a mystery and the fact he lives in his high tower like a recluse was even more intriguing. The way he acts was exac
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
Is it weird that for most of this book, I was strangely fascinated by the endless games of chess played by Raph and Beth? I’ll admit that I’m a chess novice. I never really had any real interest or passion for this game. But after reading this, I’m thinking it was more lack of a worthy opponent than the game itself that bored me. I figure if I had someone like Raph at the other side of the board, the game would seem a lot more interesting.

Not to get into the plot but Raphael North and Beth Dreym
Kate

3 'I don’t know how I feel' Stars.

Raphael North is a multibillionaire, an entrepreneur, a philanthropist, a womanizer, high up on the New York socialite ladder yet five years ago a lot changed and he has been paying for his sins. He is lonely. So, he gets someone to find him a chess partner.

Beth Dreymon is studying law, has racked up debt and needs to acquire some money fast where an opportunity that falls in her lap it sounds too good to be true, unfortunately it is too good to be true. She me
Snow

So, the blurb was intriguing and the story in general was actually pretty good and I liked most of it but certain segments were either underdeveloped either too blunt too soon for me to grow with the flow...

Speaking of the things I liked:

1. The storyline
2. The atmosphere built up with fast pace and intertwined mystery
3. The characters. (Even though some of them weren't portrayed as deeply as I needed them to be, for it to fulfill the full impact of what it could have been an awesome mystery thri
Mimiorphee
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, arc
I don't even know where to start my review. Callie Hart is one of my favorite authors, one I automatically one-click; I have read all her books and absolutely loved every one of them. Except Mr. NORTH. Seriously I didn't even think there would be one thing she wrote and that I wouldn't love. And yet, there it is.

The main issue I had with it, is that I couldn't even recognize the tone and the atmosphere.  I smiled and laughed at scenes but I'm still wondering if they were meant to be funny or not
AvidReader
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Frome the first page onwards I was hooked!
The author definitely have a way with words. They are bold and powerful. It surely leaves you lightheaded.
Hero was a true alpha. The mysterious air around him was well cultivated. And heroine, an independent and strong career minded woman.
The plot, twists and turns and suspense were interesting and gripping.
The characters were well developed. It was very interesting to read how differently they all moved on from a personal tragedy.
I would’ve given thi
Laurelin Paige
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Meet Mr. North: reclusive, rich, and shrouded in mystery. Callie Hart's latest novel is a must-read for anyone who loves a sexy alpha and intriguing storytelling.
Michelle
2.5-3 Stars
Love Callie Hart but didn’t love this one:(
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you could go back and change a single moment in your past, what would it be?
The essence of your life lies here , in this question. If you could go back in life . If you knew then , what you know now, would you be able to alter your life trajectory?
Alas! Time flows in one direction . forward.
Raphael North slammed into a wall and his life completely changed. Others may have walked away from it unscathed, but Raph got hurt so bad, he punished himself. Locking himself up in his penthouse, withdr
MoodyJess
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
MR. NORTH by Callie Hart was not what I was expecting. AT ALL.

There were so many themes and issues going on in this book, I couldn't always keep up.
I was not anticipating a Fifty Shades of Grey meets jealousy and hate with a twist of homosexual murderer. Not that I would mind any of the themes on their own, but mashed all together, it was a little too much for me!

Raph and Beth are not your likely pair. They have absolutely nothing in common and even though they are sexually compatible, I never
Sarah - Musings of the Modern Belle
***AVAILABLE NOW - FULL REVIEW***

3.5 Unexpected CROWNS

There were so many times during the course of this book that I was just shocked by the development in the story, and not because it was out of the norm or unexpected in the romance world. Just based on the synopsis of the book, I wasn't prepared for the plot revelations and certain character attributes of the hero , which ultimately affected my perception of the novel.

The heroine of the story, Beth, is completing the last leg of her education
Bookgasms Book Blog
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ratula
Whenever I hear that Callie Hart has a new book out I can not jump on it fast enough!! She is an autoclick author for sure as her books are so addicting and consuming with a hot alpha male and a sassy heroine who gives as good as she gets and brings him to his knees. Her men are hot Af and the women are strong spitfires who can go head to head with anyone. That is exactly what we have here. I LOVED Raphael and Beth and felt like their banter and chemistry was out of control hot. I swear the tens ...more
Christina Pannell
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3.25 Stars
I received an ARC from the author for an honest review
I usually love love love Callie Hart books. This one took me a long time to read. I questioned if I would finish it then I hit 39% and a change in the book happened for the better.
Raphael North is a multimillionaire that never leaves his penthouse in New York. You don’t know why until closer to the end of the book but it all makes sense. He’s living in a prison in his head.
Elizabeth is a law student who is trying to make ends mee
Tolk
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I love Callie Hart's writing. Her words make me feel at home in each story she writes. Even if they are, for some reason, not 5 star reads.
I was intrigued by the setup of the story: Getting to know each other through playing chess. Normally, it's some poor girl starting to work for the elusive billionaire as a secretary or nanny. Which I don't like at all because I can never see them as equals. Which is why I loved this story. Feeling that the hero and the heroine are on equal footing makes a b
Jessica Alcazar
hmmmmmmmmmmm, so I didn't not like the book but I also wasn't really invested in the story. Wait, no, the beginning was solid for sure but then things just started to come up in the story that were literally coming from left field, if you get my drift. And then it just seemed like a snowball of stuff was coming at me and then BAM, it's over.

I REALLY loved the premise of this story. Chess is a game of strategy. It's a power-play of sorts. It really suited the dynamic of Raphael and Beth. The jou
Nadia Debowska-Stephens (Obsessed by Books)
“Yes, we were playing a game from the moment our eyes met through that door in his apartment, but it wasn’t fucking chess.
And the thing that vexes me the most about that? The thing that has my fists clenching by my sides the entire ride home?
I can’t for the life of me tell who really won.”

Enigmatic and elusive Mr Raphael North is a media sensation, one of the richest men in New York he is the focus of many gossip articles and always seems to be making headlines for one reason or another. Yet he
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I’m sort of torn here.

How is it possible for me to adore the author, be drawn in by her writing style, want to be best friends with the heroine and kidnap the hero, be captured by the storyline, and STILL be unsure about the book as a whole?

That’s where I found myself when I finished Mr. North. I enjoyed every element of the story, I just wish it came together in a different way.

Through her best friend, Beth meets Raphael North. A reclusive technical genius and billionaire shrouded in a
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
***ARC Provided by the Author***

At the beginning of this book, I liked the story of Beth and Raphael. I liked that she was the "normal" person and that he was the celebrity, the one who people always wanted something from him. I liked that their attraction was not really instant, there was an interest there, and while he was attracted to her, Beth was not immediately interested in him.

At the beginning, I was invested in the story, and I thought it was interesting and I liked the idea that there
Michelle Claypot_Reads
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for me

Oh this a dirty twisted tale. Lots of angst, great dialogue and plot twists to keep you on your toes. Beth is a fantastic character - strong, smart and loyal. Ralph is beautifully damaged and trying to right past wrongs. Put the two together and the chemistry is explosive. It's definitely not your average love story but it's packed with emotions and definitely worth a read.

I received an arc of this book.
Sharon Hiner
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have loved all of Callie Harts books. Love her characters and the twisted storylines she comes up with. Read them all, so was very excited to have received a copy of this prior to its' official release date. But Mr. North left me cold. It was well written, but the story itself was uninteresting as were the characters. The premise of the story was ridiculous and the BDSM stuff seemed to have been added "just because" and wasn't relevant to the basic storyline. Just seemed to have been added for ...more
Sandra
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers, 2017-read, erotic
I kindly received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Brilliant book!! Beth is a student in debt. She accepts a job offer from a friend to play chess with someone for money. Raphael North is a billionaire recluse who hasn't left his apartment in 5 years. He's blaming himself for something that happened years ago.

Beth thinks their worlds are too far apart for anything to happen, but when it does, sparks fly!!

I can't say much more or it would be one big spoiler! When you do fi
Page
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: callie-hart
What. The hell. This book reads like a 2011 post FSOG book. BDSM? For real, she really went there, complete with a billionaire, a room with a chest of BDSM toys and a poor, college chick. The worst part is that...It's Callie Hart. What is this fabulous author doing writing out of date stories. Like I said, What. The hell.
Reading with Tiffany🦋
This book was so different from my normal Callie Hart books. I was looking for gritty and down and dirty. I enjoyed the book, it was just different is all. It really had some parts that reminded me of Fifty Shades. I loved North and his I don't give a shit attitude. But, I loved Beth even more and her no-nonsense attitude. She came into his life like a world wind and took him by storm. She was like I don't know what you are used to but I am not a yes man. I will not let you win, I will talk back ...more
Tracy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A broke soon to be lawyer meets an eccentric man in Mr. North. Mr. North needs a chess partner, enter Beth. From there is an intriguing and intricate tale.

Beth, a fiesty woman, is in need of money while attending law school. Her friend persuades her to take this job. It seems to be easy money... Then she meets him... Raphael is an intense man. He's so Alpha and I loved watching the two develop. Their story is intricately weaved together.

Overall, I enjoyed Mr. North. I loved how the story was s
KindleCousins
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
We love Callie Hart, and was so excited to receive our first ARC from her. This was a crazy ride. I loved Raph, he was an endearing *hole. This story started with a bang. I was extremely intrigued. I love me an emotional damaged male in books (lol). I loved Beth and her feisty ways. They were adorbs together. But the book wasn't perfect. I wanted more sex, more answers, and more of a connection between the MCs. Even though I didn't get everything I wanted, it was worth the read and I really enjo ...more
Lindsey King
Angst 3
Tears 2
Value 5
Storyline 5
Panty Scorching 4
Overall Rating 5

This book is perfection at its finest. Oh my goodness. Callie did a seamless job with this story and I couldn't put it down. The mysterious nature of it kept me on my toes the entire time. The chemistry with Raphael and Beth was super intense and so freaking sexy. Mr North is one dirty boy!

Beth is in her final year of law school. Which is super expense so when she gets an offer she can't pass up to make some money she thinks why th
The Smutbrarians
Overall Rating 5

Kindle eARC
Reviewed by Lindsey

Karen - Kazza's Books Blog
Well HELLO Mr North........
Raphael North, recluse, excentric, unreachable,unobtainable and in the authors own words, " he might as well reside on the dark side of the moon. He is a midnight man, a creature of shade and shadow". These words are like poetry to my ears. Callie certainly was spot on when describing this alpha male.
Elizabeth/Beth, is a woman trying to make something of her life while the constant words of her mother are playing on a loop in her mind in which she is struggling to fin
Shelley
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr North is so different to what I'm used to by Callie, but no less explosive with her storytelling ability, which is just out of this world! Beth is a struggling law student who is persuaded by her best friend to met with Mr North and play chess for an obscene amount of money every month, which will help her with paying her debts and rent. Even though the request is sincere, everything is not as it appears at first glance. Raphael has been a recluse for the better part of five years and most st ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Plan (Off-Limits Romance, #4)
  • Black Moon Rising
  • Tap Left
  • Spider (English, #3)
  • Midnight Blue
  • Hidden Seams (Unzipped #2)
  • Amore: Part 2 (Amore, #2)
  • Amore: Part 1 (Amore, #1)
  • Everest
  • Crank (The Gibson Boys, #1)
  • Sinful Empire (Mount Trilogy, #3)
  • Look the Part
  • Defiant Queen (Mount Trilogy, #2)
  • The Outliers (The Outskirts Duet, #2)
  • Up in Smoke (King, #8)
  • Block Party (Twin Estates, #3)
  • Bleeding Hearts: The Complete Duet (Bleeding Hearts, #1-2)
  • All His Secrets (Manhattan Misters, #1)

News & Interviews