Start by marking “Here There Are Monsters” as Want to Read:
Here There Are Monsters

Here There Are Monsters

The Blair Witch Project meets Imaginary Girls in this story of codependent sisterhood, the struggle to claim one’s own space, and the power of secrets

Sixteen-year-old Skye is done playing the knight in shining armor for her insufferable younger sister, Deirdre. Moving across the country seems like the perfect chance to start over.

In their isolated new neighborhood, Skye ma
Expected publication: August 1st 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Here There Are Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here There Are Monsters

Vani
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s, ya
Can we just real quick talk about how stunning this cover is? Anything vaguely ritualistic has me immediately but hot damn that's a good cover.
There's no wind to stir the fog, and the leaves still clinging to the branches hang wet and silent. The sound continues, spirals around me, trailing over my skin, and in it there are words.
Look look look who's here

This! Has moments of being seriously creepy. I refused to get out of bed or go pee after having read this at night, and that's pretty much all
Brittany
3 stars!
🌟🌟🌟

"What is it with you guys and the end of the world?" I asked. "Its just interesting," William said. "Like, everyone has to show their true colors. Everyone knows who they really are at the end of the world. No more bullshit."

Here There Are Monsters was gripping from the very start. This was a story about how easy it can be to get wrapped up in your own fantasy, and have trouble deciphering what's real and what's not. How nightmares can become reality if you allow yourself to go t
Tammie
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-dark, ya-books
A solid 4 stars. Here There Are Monsters was a creepy/dark read. The book centers around teen sisters Deirdre and Skye. After moving across the country for a fresh start, the family settles in a house located in a remote neighborhood. Things seem to go well at first-Skye makes new friends at her school and Deirdre enjoys being outside, enjoying nature. However, Deirdre, considered the “weird kid” for most of her life, withdrawals from her family and starts spending most of her time outside in th ...more
megs_bookrack
THIS COVER!!!

I need this 5-minutes ago. Sounds so darkly delicious!
Tucker
Feb 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Edit: I was denied an ARC by sourcebooks... fine, there loss (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
YASSS! GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy this book
Dennis
I'm torn between 3 and 3 1/2 stars for Amelinda Bérubé's upcoming YA/horror Here There Are Monsters . I normally do not read young adult novels, because they are usually too campy or unbelievable for my liking, but I really enjoyed this one. Hence, it did not have the camp or unbelievable factors that I was expecting. Here There Are Monsters is a family drama/horror, and I kept thinking that this would be a perfect Netflix show while I was reading this. Seriously, Netflix call Ms. Bérubé plea ...more
Patty (IheartYA)
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
Overall I was not impressed. The writing was ok but the characters and atmosphere were dry. The story was confusing and disjointed. I do not enjoy leaving negative or harsh reviews but I don't have pleasant things to say about this book. I definitely won't remember reading it in a few months. It was weird and didn't make much sense. Two stars because of the writing style. Thank you to netgalley for the copy.
Jerico
Extending my deepest gratitude to Edelweiss and Sourcebooks Fire for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. However, this does not affect any opinions or feedback stated concerning the book whatsoever.

TW: Grief and Violence

Before starting off this review (which might be composed later on with rants and other violent reactions), I'd like to share this with you all first thing. I HATE that I DIDN'T LOVE it, much less like it in the slightest bit. I'm kind of torn up that I hadn't ev
Ellen Gail
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Gorgeous cover. Total bummer inside.

Review to come.

Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire and Edelweiss for the drc!
Jypsy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here There are Monsters is a creepy story. The cover caught my attention immediately. It's so macabre. The story itself was something I probably shouldn't have read. I found it truly unique and suspenseful, but it's also disturbing. The reality aspect, creepiness aside, is terrible. Imagine this for real. I read it and skimmed through some of it. It's well written and original. I just couldn't read it because it messed with me a little bit. If you like creepy menacing stories, this one is for yo ...more
Giselle
Mar 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: arc
Really not into this one. DNFing at 48%. I've been really bored for the past little while. The characters are whiny and the whole imaginary fantasy world thing feels really childish, as if it was meant for younger YA readers. I could see 12-14yo enjoying it maybe. I decided to move on..
Acqua
Dec 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc, etbr
That cover!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The Dark Beneath the Ice was one of my favorite books of 2018, I need this
Brandy
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I really like the writing on this one, but the story fell flat towards the end

The setting of this story sounds interesting. Real monsters lurking in the woods and a girl who goes missing. I think I struggle with combining real world and fantasy so when it happens I have a harder time enjoying a book and you would think I would recognize I am like this and pick books based on this, but the cover of this book is so intriguing.

I didn’t really like any of the characters and I hate when this happe
Amber (The Book Bratz)

The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much to Sourcebooks Fire for approving me for an eGalley!

I been working with Amelinda the past couple of weeks for an interview on Here There Are The Monsters so I was really excited when Soucebooks had approved me on NetGalley for an eGalley. Here There Are The Monsters was brilliant and memorizing. But as where Amelinda's writing was beautiful the story was also bone chilling and thrilling.

Skye has been Deirdre's protector
Kayla J. ~ Master of Dragons & Assassins
I sincerely appreciate being given the chance to read and review (courtesy of
NetGalley!), but this book was not for me. I found it incredibly slow and really had to push myself through it. I can see this being a favorite for several people, just not me. The cover is attention grabbing and really sets the mood, but the beginning is what really hooks you. I just wish the rest was just as good.
Kara Fuerholzer
Dierdre is missing. Gone into the woods without a trace.

This book had SO many good things in it that I loved. The first half of this book was a solid 5 stars for me. But then, it nose dived in a different direction that somewhat fell apart for me.

Skye is our main character. A high school girl that moved to a new town and just wants to be normal, maybe even date her cute neighbor? What stands in her way is her 13 year old sister Dierdre. Deirdre is weird, she’s creepy and she refuses to grow up.
Bee
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Erin A. Craig
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, loved this book! The relationship between the two sisters felt so real and true to life-- it was like remembering so many conversations my own sister and I had while growing up. The atmosphere and world building Bérubé created was quiet and lovely and so beautifully dark. The perfect read for a rainy afternoon!
Mel (Epic Reading)
eARC approved! I’ve been in such a mood for dark, creepy and odd books so far this year. This one sounds like it meets that criteria.
Bunni
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
**received an ARC from netgalley in exchange for review**

WHERE. DO. I. START.

Okay, the cover. LOVE IT! Title meh.

This book really grabbed me and I loved it! I feel like the synopsis is a little misleading, because I thought we would start at the move and see Deirdre's gradual withdrawal from everything, but it starts off right away with her missing and the rest is told in flashbacks. Sometimes flashbacks do take away a little bit because we aren't really experiencing these things for ourselves;
Melissa
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Skye and her younger sister Deirdre are very different and Skye spends most of her time hanging out with Deirdre and protecting her from bullies. But Skye is ready to move on and make friends, so when they move across the country Skye knows that this is her chance. She makes friends, but Deirdre isn't happy about it. She feels like Skye is abandoning her. Deirdre starts making her own "friends" out of sticks and bones and when she goes missing, Skye soon finds out that there is more to Deirdre's ...more
Nicky
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for an early copy of this book. I went into this book assuming the same YA twists and turns would happen in the formula that’s always present in these types of stories. It was refreshing to see a new take on this idea. Skye is a complex character that I believe actually learns something by the end of the journey. Deidre is a whirlwind of a girl and I loved how she didn’t bend for anyone. I was really happy to read a story about more than just a relationship/love triangle and ...more
Bryn Clark
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love the Mori Girl feel of this book, you can practically smell the forest. The sisters and their toxic relationship is particularly disturbing and creepy, the whole story crawls under you like a something lurking in the underbrush.

This feels like it’s going to be a crime thriller and turns it something fascinating and horrifying, but you can’t tear your eyes away from watching this girl quietly unravel while nobody is watching while they’re caught up in her sister’s disappearance.

It
Wendy
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just wait until you get a hold of this creepily & brilliantly written YA novel from Amelinda Berube. I could fill an entire page with my ravings but will wait until it's released to avoid spoilers!
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
"You can't just walk away when someone needs a hero."
This is Amelinda's second novel and I have to say that she completely wowed me to no end. I just finished this book less than 20 minutes ago and I'm still reeling from the relentless attacks to my heart so this may be all over the place.
This book follows Skye right as her little sister, Deirdre, goes missing. We get to see how her family is changed completely and how
Brenna Clark
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Edelweiss for the ARC of this mesmerizing and suspenseful masterpiece! I am no stranger to things that go bump in the night as I have grown up on R.L. Stine and Stephen King, but this premise was a new and exciting one. Skye's sister, Deidre, goes missing, and the police's search is fruitless. Skye doesn't feel like things are adding up: she fell asleep unexpectedly the night Deidre disappeared though she can't remember being tired, she recognizes that her sister was growing ...more
Amber DuBois
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I wasn’t sure about this book for the first half. It wasn’t bad, just slow. The writing was beautiful and evocative and the writer has great skill, I just wasn’t sure the story was going to take off for me.

And then BANG, IT TOOK OFF.

I don’t want to say more and risk spoiling it. Read this book. Stick through the first half, you’ll be rewarded.
Ashley
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I hate Deirdre. From the moment I picked up the book, to the moment I put it down, I hate her. I felt as if most of the characters were unlikeable or not very in depth. I found the book to be confusing with the game that Skye and Deirdre played. A lot of things were hard to picture.
Kara Fuerholzer
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Dierdre is missing. Gone into the woods without a trace.

Mandie Welling
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
First Impressions: I absolutely love the cover of this book and it’s honestly the reason I wanted to read it. To be more honest, the synopsis of the book doesn’t interest me very much at all. I was never a fan of The Blair Witch Project when it was all the rage back in the day, so comparing this book to that awful movie doesn’t do it for me. However, every once in a while, I do enjoy a good horror story, so I’m taking a chance on this one and we will see how it goes.

Characters and Plot: This boo
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Teeth in the Mist
  • The Haunted
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • His Hideous Heart
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Five Midnights
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Happily and Madly
  • Remember Me
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Bone Grace (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World
  • When We Were Magic
  • Other Words for Smoke
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • The Hollow Girl
I write about ghosts and monsters and other things that go bump in the night. My books tend to include a liberal sprinkling of weird Canadiana and the occasional zombie metaphor.

I am an eternal fangirl for YA and SFF, but any book that makes me laugh, makes me cry, or creeps me out will have my heart forever. My very favorites tend to have a thinky, supernatural flavor and don't explain too much.