Start by marking “Here There Are Monsters” as Want to Read:
Here There Are Monsters

Here There Are Monsters

The Blair Witch Project meets Imaginary Girls in this story of codependent sisterhood, the struggle to claim one’s own space, and the power of secrets

Sixteen-year-old Skye is done playing the knight in shining armor for her insufferable younger sister, Deirdre. Moving across the country seems like the perfect chance to start over.

In their isolated n
Published August 6th 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Here There Are Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here There Are Monsters

Brittany
3 stars!
🌟🌟🌟

"What is it with you guys and the end of the world?" I asked. "Its just interesting," William said. "Like, everyone has to show their true colors. Everyone knows who they really are at the end of the world. No more bullshit."

Here There Are Monsters was gripping from the very start. This was a story about how easy it can be to get wrapped up in your own fantasy, and have trouble deciphering what's real and what's not. How nightmares can become reality if you allow yourse/>
MissBecka
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first 150 pages of this one, but then it took a turn to fuckedupville.
It was like reading two different books shoved into one spine.
Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire for my ARC received at BookCon.
Tammie
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-dark, ya-books
A solid 4 stars. Here There Are Monsters was a creepy/dark read. The book centers around teen sisters Deirdre and Skye. After moving across the country for a fresh start, the family settles in a house located in a remote neighborhood. Things seem to go well at first-Skye makes new friends at her school and Deirdre enjoys being outside, enjoying nature. However, Deirdre, considered the “weird kid” for most of her life, withdrawals from her family and starts spending most of her time outside in th ...more
megs_bookrack
THIS COVER!!!

I need this 5-minutes ago. Sounds so darkly delicious!
Acqua
Strange Grace meets The Wicker King, but duller, more hopeless, and unnecessarily heterosexual. If you’ve followed me for a while, you might know that I loved Amelinda Bérubé’s debut, The Dark Beneath the Ice, for being an introspective, chilling horror story about mental illness, portrayed with a care that I don’t always trust the horror genre to have. Here There Are Monsters, however, didn’t resonate emotionally with me at all.

This was… I’m not sure what it was. On the surface, it’s a horror story about a girl gone m
Ellen Gail
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Gorgeous cover. Total bummer inside.

Here There Are Monsters sounded like it would be right up my alley. A dangerous and unhealthy relationship between sisters, things that go bump in the night. That's all I knew about it beforehand, but what else do you need to hook me? There was even a great tagline!

They took my sister.
I'll take her back.

It was so promising! Sadly, all that promise went down in a blaze of hodgepodge pacing, unlikable characters, and lackluster atmosphere.

Let's start with a bit of plot. Two sisters, Skye and Deirdre, movetagline!
Katie Gallagher
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
For this review and others, check out my blog.
Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for sending me a free advanced reader copy of Here There Are Monsters for an honest review.

This was a total binge-read. The book presents a main character who has lost her sister—here, “lost” is used literally, as the MC’s sister has disappeared somewhere into the sprawling, ominous swampland behind their house. The language is surprisingly lyrical, atmosphere suffuses every scene, and the characterization a
Tucker
Feb 01, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
Edit (2): Well, someone was salty ⬇
Edit: I was denied an ARC by sourcebooks... fine, there loss (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
YASSS! GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy this book
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This was so dull. I wish I had something better to say, but ultimately that was Here There Are Monsters ' biggest problem. While you spend the first half accepting the slow pace, assuming that the reasons for the absolutely nothing plot will be revealed in a scary second half, it just builds to nothing and ends as dull as it begins. There's basically no scare factor, and anything that had the chance to be scary is ruined by the plot and by the dull descriptions. I reserve my one star reviews fo ...more
Bark
I am going to DNF this one after reading the first section (roughly 100 or so pages). The cover is lovely. Breathtakingly creepy. But it's the contents that count. Unfortunately, I was attempting to read this novel at the same time I was reading Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand for the Ladies of Horror Fiction Goodreads Group and the two have too much in common but one was more engaging. And it wasn't this one.

The stories are both focused on sisters, creepy woods and missing girl(s) and they sta
Patty (IheartYA)
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
Overall I was not impressed. The writing was ok but the characters and atmosphere were dry. The story was confusing and disjointed. I do not enjoy leaving negative or harsh reviews but I don't have pleasant things to say about this book. I definitely won't remember reading it in a few months. It was weird and didn't make much sense. Two stars because of the writing style. Thank you to netgalley for the copy.
Catherine
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Buddy read with Chelsea! ♥

"It doesn’t matter how hard you dig your heels in and refuse to grow up; time marches on with or without you."

I know most people who read YA fantasy were more excited about the new Leigh Bardugo, the new Holly Black, the new Roshani Chokshi, the new Jay Kristoff etc, but for me, Here There Are Monsters was from the first time I saw that cover (one of my favorite covers ever) and read the summary one of my most anticipated 2019 releases. I couldn't wait for this book,/>"It
Dennis
I'm torn between 3 and 3 1/2 stars for Amelinda Bérubé's upcoming YA/horror Here There Are Monsters . I normally do not read young adult novels, because they are usually too campy or unbelievable for my liking, but I really enjoyed this one. Hence, it did not have the camp or unbelievable factors that I was expecting. Here There Are Monsters is a family drama/horror, and I kept thinking that this would be a perfect Netflix show while I was reading this. Seriously, Netflix call Ms. Bérubé please!

Bérubé's Here
Jerico
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of dark and weird stories
Extending my deepest gratitude to Edelweiss and Sourcebooks Fire for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. However, this does not affect any opinions or feedback stated concerning the book whatsoever.

TW: Grief and Violence

Before starting off this review (which might be composed later on with rants and other violent reactions), I'd like to share this with you all first thing. I HATE that I DIDN'T LOVE it, much less like it in the slightest bit. I'm kind of torn up that I hadn't even lea/>TW:
Melissa
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Creepy doesn't even begin to describe this book. My advice: don't read it before going to sleep. Because you won't sleep. More than once, I had to fight the urge to cover my eyes, so I couldn't see what was happening (yeah, I know, not really efficient while reading a book🤦♀). I liked the weirdness of it, but it was so dark and twisted for a sixteen year old girl!

Many thanks to Sourcebooks Fire for the complimentary e-copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

This was my first book by Amelinda Bérubé, so I didn't know what to expect. I don't read much horror anymore and I haven't read a lot of YA horror at all, so I feel like I had contrasting expectations from the end of this book, and it's hard to say whether they've been met or not. But let's start with the rest of the book before I talk about the ending.

I would describe this a
Jypsy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here There are Monsters is a creepy story. The cover caught my attention immediately. It's so macabre. The story itself was something I probably shouldn't have read. I found it truly unique and suspenseful, but it's also disturbing. The reality aspect, creepiness aside, is terrible. Imagine this for real. I read it and skimmed through some of it. It's well written and original. I just couldn't read it because it messed with me a little bit. If you like creepy menacing stories, this one is for yo ...more
Giselle
Mar 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: arc
Really not into this one. DNFing at 48%. I've been really bored for the past little while. The characters are whiny and the whole imaginary fantasy world thing feels really childish, as if it was meant for younger YA readers. I could see 12-14yo enjoying it maybe. I decided to move on..
Schizanthus
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
“By wood, stone, water, and bone.”
That cover! 😍 It’s all kinds of creepy and intriguing. I’ve been look forward to reading this one for months.

Deidre has always lived in a world of fantasy, imagining elaborate kingdoms of queens, knights and monsters. Skye’s role as the Queen of Swords has always been to save Deidre but when they move to a new town that doesn’t know the sisters by reputation Skye sees a fresh start, a chance to have friends for once. Then Deidre disappears and Sky
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
I was super intrigued by the premise of this novel, because even though I haven’t picked up many horror books lately, I love me a good mystery thriller, and this seemed like the perfect creepy and atmospheric read with a small town setting. But unfortunately I just didn’t click with this book at all, and I had to force myself to finish it so I could do a proper review.

I had two major issues with Here There Are Monsters that made me not enjoy it. The first one was regarding the plot.
Brandy
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I really like the writing on this one, but the story fell flat towards the end

The setting of this story sounds interesting. Real monsters lurking in the woods and a girl who goes missing. I think I struggle with combining real world and fantasy so when it happens I have a harder time enjoying a book and you would think I would recognize I am like this and pick books based on this, but the cover of this book is so intriguing.

I didn’t really like any of the characters and I hate when this happens. J
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
CW: physical assault, bullying, missing sibling, disfigurement, and general themes of horror

Last year, Bérubé caught my attention with her debut The Dark Beneath the Ice. While I didn't love it, I certainly was paying attention to whatever she was going to write next. And this one was a fantastic sophomore novel that just shows the progression of her skills.

Skye and Deirdre are sisters with a tense relationship, something that describes most sibling relationships. But, Deirdre is just... weird. And then, one day, she go
Kim Friant
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another amazing cover!! Pretty much the main reason I got this book. The description sounded interesting as well, so lets do it! I think I got it . . . But I’m not sure. And I think that’s ok. I think this is one of those books that can be interpreted in many ways, depending on who is reading it. I found this to be a book about the difficulties of growing up and the coping mechanisms used to deal with stress and problems. I don’t want to go into any more details cuz I don’t want to ruin it for a ...more
Kara Fuerholzer
Dierdre is missing. Gone into the woods without a trace.

This book had SO many good things in it that I loved. The first half of this book was a solid 5 stars for me. But then, it nose dived in a different direction that somewhat fell apart for me.

Skye is our main character. A high school girl that moved to a new town and just wants to be normal, maybe even date her cute neighbor? What stands in her way is her 13 year old sister Dierdre. Deirdre is weird, she’s creepy and she refuses
Erin A. Craig
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, loved this book! The relationship between the two sisters felt so real and true to life-- it was like remembering so many conversations my own sister and I had while growing up. The atmosphere and world building Bérubé created was quiet and lovely and so beautifully dark. The perfect read for a rainy afternoon!
Kayla J. ~ Master of Dragons & Assassins
I sincerely appreciate being given the chance to read and review (courtesy of
NetGalley!), but this book was not for me. I found it incredibly slow and really had to push myself through it. I can see this being a favorite for several people, just not me. The cover is attention grabbing and really sets the mood, but the beginning is what really hooks you. I just wish the rest was just as good.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

For some reason I wasn’t very excited for Here There Are Monsters. I have had an ARC for months and kept putting off reading it. I’ve been on a fantasy kick lately and this title seemed more like a cross between horror and paranormal and for some reason I didn’t expect much from it. I have just wanted to read books set in fantasy worlds instead. As the publication date started creeping up I decided it was finally time to read it. Right from the beginning I w
amanda
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I finally got my chance to read this!

I just want to say that sisters are hell but they’re our hell and this seems to be the running theme in this book.

Skye is the older sister to the very weird, very creepy as fuck Deirdre. Deirdre likes to do things like collect animal skulls, hiss at her neighbors, and just be irritating as fuck. Skye’s world is turned upside down when on her watch Deirdre goes missing and she’s sent on a Blair Witch esque mission to retrieve her sister
Amber (The Book Bratz)

The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much to Sourcebooks Fire for approving me for an eGalley!

I been working with Amelinda the past couple of weeks for an interview on Here There Are The Monsters so I was really excited when Soucebooks had approved me on NetGalley for an eGalley. Here There Are The Monsters was brilliant and memorizing. But as where Amelinda's writing was beautiful the story was also bone chilling and thrilling.

Skye has been Deirdre's protector for a
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
Can’t believe I finished this book. It was creepy yes, but more along the lines of messed up, and in the end it didn’t even leave me with anything so I just feel like I should not have picked it up in the first place. Best description: a twisted version of Bridge to Terabithia.

This story is about a 13 year old girl (with an overactive imagination) who disappears into the woods and how Skye, the older sister, desperately tries to do whatever it takes to bring her back, even if it mean

• Teeth in the Mist
  • The Haunted
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • His Hideous Heart
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Five Midnights
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Happily and Madly
  • Remember Me
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • When We Were Magic
  • Other Words for Smoke
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • The Hollow Girl
I write about ghosts and monsters and other things that go bump in the night. My books tend to include a liberal sprinkling of weird Canadiana and the occasional zombie metaphor.

I am an eternal fangirl for YA and SFF, but any book that makes me laugh, makes me cry, or creeps me out will have my heart forever. My very favorites tend to have a thinky, supernatural flavor and don't explain too much.
“Monsters were way more interesting to Deirdre than animals, even talking ones.” 0 likes
“Riding to her rescue was my job before I ever had to do it in real life.” 0 likes