Start by marking “Thorn” as Want to Read:
Thorn

Thorn

(Dauntless Path #1)

A princess with two futures. A destiny all her own

Between her cruel family and the contempt she faces at court, Princess Alyrra has always longed to escape the confines of her royal life. But when shes betrothed to the powerful prince Kestrin, Alyrra embarks on a journey to his land with little hope for a better future.

When a mysterious and terrifying sorceress robs Alyrra
Published March 24th 2020 by Hot Key Books (first published May 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thorn, please sign up.
Intisar Khanani Hello! So sorry I didn't see this sooner. Thorn is indeed a standalone. I do have companion novels (and a companion duology!) planned, but they will…moreHello! So sorry I didn't see this sooner. Thorn is indeed a standalone. I do have companion novels (and a companion duology!) planned, but they will each center on a different main character. That said, you might get to catch up with some familiar characters now and then. ;) Hope this helps!(less)
Intisar Khanani Hi Grace - I just spotted your question, and on the off chance that you are (still) wondering, here's what I can say: I usually recommend Thorn for…moreHi Grace - I just spotted your question, and on the off chance that you are (still) wondering, here's what I can say: I usually recommend Thorn for ages 15+ because of the nature of some of the themes (abuse, assault, etc.). The issue is really just assuring the reader has the emotional maturity to deal with what they're reading--so there may be particular younger readers who will do fine, and there may be older readers who won't, but 15 seems like the best guideline I can identify. I hope this helps!(less)

Start your review of Thorn
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Mada
A fairy tale re-telling of the "Goose Girl". I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good this book was.

Princess Alyrra has never played well at being princess. She just wants to do her own thing and let her abusive brother and cold mother do as they want, as long as she escapes their clutches.
A traveling King shows up at the palace and makes an offer for Alyrra's hand in marriage to his son Prince Kestrin.
Alyrra doesn't have a bunch of choices. Stay and face more abuse at the hands of
Thorn 99-cent Sale For A Cause -

All proceeds from this sale will go towards helping a good friend cover the cost of international adoption of a pair of biological brothers with Saethre-Chotzen Syndrome--a condition that results in brain damage unless treated in the first year. Evan (age 7) and Raymond (age 9) were each given up at birth, and were unable to receive treatment for their condition.

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00869SADQ...
US: http://www.amazon.com/Thorn-Intisar-K...
B&N:
Pauline Ross
I loved this book, absolutely loved it. Its an object lesson for me, actually, in not pre-judging a book, because this one ticks so many of my no boxes: its YA, its a fairy-tale retelling, its first person present tense (I back away..., I gaze at him), its more or less a romance, its about a princess who doesnt quite fit in, it has villains with no redeeming characteristics. Had I known all that beforehand, I would never have touched it and I would have missed a lovely, lovely story. As it was, ...more
Lerizza Mae (books&teacups)
Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

I received this ARC via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This book was first published in 2012 as an indie book and it is being republished now by HarperTeen because an editor fell in love with it after reading the book. And I can see the reason why.

This book has a slow start, that much I can say. So I didn't notice for a while that I came to love the story and much of its characters. I only did after I got to the middle part.

The story is so mesmerizing and at
Vibur
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
To be honest, I'm unsure what I should rate this novel. Thorn turned out different than what I'd been hoping forit was, to some degree, disappointing, but at the same time, a pleasant surprise? But I did like the protagonist well enough, so we'll focus on that particular positive in the meanwhile.

The thing about Alyrra is, that she isn't a 'strong female character' in the sense that she's assured and unafraid to assert herself. Rather, she's too passive. She accepts that she has no choiceno
Camly Nguyen
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a king asks Alyrra's hand for his son in marriage, she accepts happily knowing that she won't have to live with her cruel brother and bitter mother.
On her way to the other kingdom, she is cornered by her maid that used some magic from an ancient witch to switch their bodies. At first, Alyrra hated the change but slowly, she learnt to cherish the simple life. No princes, no courtly lessons, no dances... But when prince Kestrin(the dude she was to marry) grew suspicious of the fake princess
Charlotte
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Katerina Kondrenko
8 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Genre: fantasy, retelling, YA
Stuff: a la The Goose Girl
Fail: a bit passive MC
WOW: prince, atmosphere
POV: 1st person, female
Love-Geometry: none

Quote-Core:
"I am the Lady who has lost her soul. I am the princess who has lost her self. I am the goose girl who has lost her way. I am the
Sophia Sardothien
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review
Thank you Intisar Khanani and Netgalley for sending me this book in exchange of an honest review

Having never to read Goose girl, I pleasantly enjoy reading this book.

The plot was alright, interesting enough to kept me reading for the entire time. Despite the fact that the synopsis seems to empathise a lot on the romance, but the main focus was definitely beyond that. I would have elaborate more but I think it would be better getting in the story without knowing much.

The writing style is
Cee (The Mistress Case)

I wish safety for Krestin, as little as I understand him safety for him and from him.

I just this one line hit mehhh in the feels I cant.

Okay, okay, in all seriousness, lets get started.

If you read and liked The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale like I did, dont be afraid to pick up Thorn by Intisar Khanani. The storytelling is different, as I hoped it would it be. For one, there are Fey and sorcerers in Thorn and I dont recall any in The Goose Girl (which I read years ago, so I may be mistaken).
Candace Robinson
I love this cover! ARC received via publisher!
Althea Ann
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully-done retelling of 'The Goose Girl.'
(http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm089.html)

As in the original Grimm brothers' fairy tale, a princess, on her way to meet her betrothed, is betrayed by her maid, who uses magic to force the two to change places. 'Thorn' adds an extra element of magic in that the women don't just exchange clothes; but actually switch bodies.

Prevented by a curse of speaking of what has been done to her, the princess Alyrra must make the best of her new situation and
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: publisher-sent
It isn't often that I pick up a book that grips me as much as Thorn did. It was highly unexpected, and I sobbed in many parts because it touched me so personally. I will be completely frank. It isn't a perfect book. But it is one of those rare reads that because of the way I feel about it myself, I rate it as a perfect 5 star because I don't really care that it isn't perfect. It's a raw and compelling story and the fierce and unyielding main character compensates for any other missteps. This is ...more
Fanna
March 30, 2020:

Consider this reading this review over on my blog!

➝ Sum it up in points!

✔ retelling of the Grimm's fairy tale: The Goose Girl
✔ female protagonist finds her strength & purpose
✔ societal themes of justice and entitlement
✔ free-thinking Horse + sentient Wind
✔ slow-building, genuine romance
✔ villainous witch & robinhood-type thief

Thorn is YA dark retelling of a fairy tale that doesn't confine to the mere recounting of fantastical occurrences but also explore themes important
Dana

This book is the only fairy tale retelling that I have actually enjoyed, and for that I am truly impressed and grateful. I really loved this story, and while the MC could be naive, I still found her very likable. The pace slows down a lot in the middle of the story, and for some this may drag too much. However I personally did not mind the slow pace, as I understood the MC's struggle and how hard it was for her to make a decision considering the life she had led.

I admit that I am not very
La La
One thing which draws me in with Intisar's stories is the pacing. She has an impeccable sense of story flow. I'll be back with a full review after I've had time to compare some scenes with the previous edition. I love this retelling of The Goose Girl with all my heart. The wind and the horses are two of my favorites in this retelling. Many of the elements are applicable to the times we are living in right now.

I was approved for an eARC, via Edelweiss, in return for an honest review. I was also
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Another retelling of the Goose Girl fairy tale, and a $0.99 Kindle special. I'm interested to compare this to Shannon Hale's version, which I adore.
Jeannette Nikolova
Read on the WondrousBooks blog.

The acutal rating is about 4.5, but I'm pleased with Khanani, so 5 stars it is.
A couple of months ago I wrote about Intisar Khanani's Sunbolt. As you may have seen in that review, I liked the book but I wanted and expected more. I'm SO SO glad I decided to follow Intisar Khanani's work because Thorn is great!

If you are a fan of A Court of Thorns and Roses, you should be able to like this one too!

What's great about this book is that it has this lovely
Talltree
I love this book. I'd hug it if I could. It is beloved to me and will stay forever and ever on my reread shelf <3<3
Olga Godim
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This novel is one of the few that have left me divided. On one hand, its too intense, too emotionally grueling for my taste. I wanted the heroine, Princess Alyrra (aka Thorn), to have a respite, to have something working for her, but the author wouldnt oblige. So in my head, I argued with her. I told her that she was wrong to subject Thorn to so many indignities. I told her that the test she devised for her hero, Prince Kestrin, was unfair and unnecessary cruel. I told her that Thorn behaved ...more
Marquise
A wonderful retelling of The Goose Girl fairy tale, that I liked tonnes more than Sharon Hale's unimaginatively entitled "The Goose Girl" retelling, which was too cloying, "fluffy" and unsubstantial to me.

This one has a very palpable Middle Eastern flavour, probably due to the author's background, which in itself was a very welcome change of ambiance from the European-like setting of most retellings, and though the world isn't especially complex or developed in every single painstaking detail,
Beth
I adored this retelling of the fairy tale about the goose girl. The prose was gorgeous and the story wrapped me up so tight, I stayed up till 2am to finish it...

I love strong female characters, and Intisar Khanani has created one of my new favorite female heroines. Her goose girl came from a life of privilege, but one of coldness from her royal family. She grew up only knowing the kindness of the court servants, her only true experience of what family should be. When she is betrayed on her way
Kirstine
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy (even though the publication date was in 2012/13). GO READ THIS BOOK.

I have before me now a new life, if I choose to take it. I feel a ripple of something sweet and wonderful wash through me. I am done with that, I think. I wonder if it is joy I feel.

With fairytale retellings popping up everywhere, its easy to think they might not be worth your while. But this one is, I promise you.

Other than being a standalone book, which is rare enough, its
Shy
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Mercedes Lackey would enjoy this
Disclaimer: I read an ACR copy of the revised 2020 version of the book from the author. However, I am keeping my original review of the 2012 publication below as well, which I purchased on my own.

I have had the privilege of watching this book grow and mature from a solid good story to a highly polished gem. Intisar Khanani has put in an enormous effort (an extra 20,000 words!) into fleshing out Alyrra's emotional growth and character development and the book has only gotten stronger for it.
Ivie ✩Born to Magic-Forced to Muggle✩
When I was a little girl, I had a cassette tape with old fairy tales on it. The lady reading them had the most magical, softest voice you could imagine. I used to listen to that one tape every single night for ages, and it never got old. Amongst the stories was the one called Princess Goose Girl and it told a tale similar to this. Stolen lives and treachery, from riches to ashes, from darkness to light. Reading Thorn was an unique pleasure for me. There aren't too many novels out there that I ...more
Marina
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, own-ebook
4.5

Oh. my. god.

This was so much better that I anticipated. Khanani weaves a magical fairy-tale full of curses, stolen identities, and cruel nobility. I was blown away by the intricate plot and the beautiful story.

Alyrra is a princess who finally gets a chance to escape her abusive family. But on her way to salvation, she is betrayed by her lady companion, and switches bodies with her. For awhile Alyrra is happy to be able to escape her fate, but she cannot outrun her destiny. It takes great loss
Gail Carriger
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, historical
A retelling of the Goose Girl fairy tale as a YA fantasy. At first I thought it would be very like To Play the Lady, but it turned out to be much darker and less romantic. It's beautifully written and easy to gobble up with a clean plot and some stunning imagery. At times, I found myself a little annoyed with the main character, she's quite passive, but this may be a consequence of the base material (after all, that's what most fairy tale heroines are = passive). In the end, I wished the romance ...more
Kristen
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was REALLY good! Very sad in parts though and just broke my heart a little. Will there be more? I will miss these characters so much
Suzannah
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
As luck would have it, I became a raving fan of Intisar Khanani's fantasy right around the time that THORN was withdrawn from circulation preparatory to being traditionally published. So...let's just say I've been waiting for this one for a while.

And it did NOT disappoint.

THORN is gorgeous, mesmerising, leisurely, deep, and gutwrenching. I knew it was also a retelling of the Grimms' fairytale The Goose Girl, which I have always loved and never seen retold before. It is that, and it hews
Karla
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, retellings
This is a retelling of The Grimm's The Goose Girl and for some reason I have been into reading retellings of fairy tales and the likes and sometimes I find them a little lacking but the ones that I manage to finish are always my favorites.

As was the case with Thorn, I loved this book. It had everything I look for in book: fantasy, romance, mystery, good plot.. I honestly could not put the book down because I wanted to know what would happen next with Alyrra and all the problems she was facing.

• What I Like About You
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Break the Fall
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • House of Dragons (House of Dragons, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Fight Like a Girl
  • To Keep You Safe
  • Red Hood
  • The Last Paper Crane
  • The Saracen's Mark
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Raybearer
  • Belle Révolte
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
Intisar Khanani grew up a nomad and world traveler. Born in Wisconsin, she has lived in five different states as well as in Jeddah on the coast of the Red Sea. She currently resides in Cincinnati, Ohio, with her husband and two young daughters. Prior to publishing her novels, Intisar worked as a public health consultant on projects relating to infant mortality and minority health, which was as ...more

News & Interviews

“Should I run so far that I reach the sea, I should not have run far enough, for the thing I run from rides on my back and in my blood and will not be shaken.” 24 likes
“We all need our quiet, I think. We all have our unspoken wishes, hopes we cannot mention, choices we may yet regret.” 14 likes