Start by marking “Bob” as Want to Read:
Bob

Bob

A classic middle-grade tale of magic and friendship, about a girl who helps an old friend find home, by two New York Times–bestselling authors Wendy Mass and Rebecca Stead.

It’s been five years since Livy and her family have visited Livy’s grandmother in Australia. Now that she’s back, Livy has the feeling she’s forgotten something really, really important about Gran’s hous
Published May 1st 2018 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Bob, please sign up.
Jenna I would say 5 and up! I am much older than that obviously, and am really enjoying it.

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I was really surprised by this book! I originally picked it up solely because Nicholas Gannon illustrated the story, but I ended up really enjoying the story itself! It's got a very unlikely friendship and a fairy tale element comes into play. Two things I love in a book!
Amber Webb
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BOB was an incredibly endearing and thought provoking book about childhood friendships, change, growing older and still remembering what it was like to be young. I loved Livy and her experiences with BOB, Gran and her friends. This is a book that will be long cherished by children and adults alike. I could not put this book down and think it is a must read for classrooms and families. Who wouldn't love a not-zombie chicken friendship story?
Jessica
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet fantasy about a girl rediscovering the imaginary friend she left behind at her grandmother's house. But is Bob imaginary? What is he? Lovely illustrations and the shift from Bob to Livy's POV makes this extra fun.
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it

I’ve been looking forward to this book ever since I saw the powerhouse team of Mass and Stead up in lights (so to speak). I mean these two are middle grade fiction super stars!!! Together in one book. Color me excited and ecstatic! I was counting the days until release day.

BUT it didn’t quite live up to all my hopes and dreams. Bob is cute and original for sure, but overall it lacked the emotional kick I was hoping for. Come meet Bob though. He’s unforgettable! :D He’s…well that’s the mystery is
Michele Knott
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet story with a surprising ending!
Looking forward to seeing the completed book with the illustrations!
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I picked this up randomly at the library after the cover caught my eye. It was a cute and surprisingly good story.
Kathy
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fiction
Visiting her grandmother on a drought-stricken Australia farm, 10-year-old Livy reconnects with an endearing green creature she left 5 years earlier whom most people cannot see and she had forgotten.
Very engaging, with connections with mythological beings (and fairy tales) and the natural world. There's a particularly nice scene where the relatively grown-up 10-year-olds discard their reservations and play with dolls as they used to. Gives permission to the child reader to hold on to their chil
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful. Just the right length for reluctant readers. Easy to booktalk, just start with this: "Actually,maybe I do remember one thing. I think I remember a wrong chicken."
Jaclyn
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. Sweet little story. It would be perfect for family sharing. Found myself laughing out loud at Bob who is a very endearing non-zombie. Honestly, I could have used a little more adventure between Livy and Bob and maybe a little more backstory on Livy and her family but it was a cute, well written story that I would definitely recommend to kids and families.
Patrick
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Going to choose it for our final book club selection for 17/18. Perfect story to end the year with. Bob and Livy will be with me for a long time. Must read!!!
Lata
Amusing story of 11-year old Livy returning for a visit to her grandmother’s in Australia, and then countering the odd, little, somewhat sarcastic, green creature she had met the last time She visited. Livy and Bob must figure out what Bob is and where he came from so he can return.
There’s plenty of gentle humour in this story which gives us both Livy’s and Bob’s POVs.
Brooke
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
“Bob” by Wendy Mass is a strange little tale about a girl who visits her grandmother in Australia and finds a green creature dressed in a chicken suit in her closet named Bob...I know it sounds so strange!

I often feel nostalgic as an adult reading middle grade books and the themes that are so universal in them no matter your age. I certainly can name many other books that are better than “Bob”, but I have to say this one had it in sections and I could totally see it becoming a very cute and suc
Cassie Gutman (happybooklovers)
So charming and lovely and weird. Would put in the hands of both reluctant readers and kids who gobble up beginning fantasy series (like the Spiderwick Chronicles).
Andrea
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly beautiful story of friendship. Perfect for all ages. Children will laugh at Bob as a Not-Zombie chicken in a tutu, while parents will remember the magic of childhood. And yes, I did cry.
Elizabeth☮
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Livy is visiting her grandmother in Australia for the first time in five years. When she arrives, she finds Bob in the closet, but has little to no memory of him. What unfolds is Livy and Bob trying to figure out his origins, while also becoming reacquainted with one another.

This is a fun book that leaves you wondering about Bob's home until we finally realize what is happening. A modern fairytale that I loved.
Monkiecat
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
both funny and sweet - the book alternates pov between Livy, an 11 year old girl visiting her grandmother's drought-stricken farm in Australia, and Bob, a zombie (or not-zombie) who wears a chicken suit and has spent the last 5 years living in a closet. In the audio version the narration also alternated with each chapter, which really added to my enjoyment of the book. This is a very short book (3 cd's - I'm guessing 3 hrs) that we finished in a couple days.
Chance Lee
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fic
Ridiculously sweet and tender story about a young girl and the power of her not-so-imaginary friend.

As an adult reader, I thought a lot about the imaginary friends of my childhood while reading this book, which tackles the liquidity of memory -- how easily certain experiences can slip through our fingers and into the cracks of the earth -- but also provides children with a fun fantasy story, one that doesn't rely on tired tropes like faeries, elves, unicorns, etc., but instead the character of
BrocheAroe
Meet Bob. Bob is smart, loyal, and funny – kind of like a literary Stitch (from Lilo & Stitch). He's been waiting 5 long years in a dark closet for Livy to return to her Gran's house in Australia. Now that she's back, she can help him figure out if he's a zombie (he's green and isn't undead, so probably not), why he's wearing a chicken costume (camouflague), why he's all alone (does he have a family?), and why it hasn't rained in 5 long years...but she has to remember him first! As Livy and ...more
Text Publishing
2018 Goodreads Choice Awards semifinal nominee

‘You can’t help falling in love with Bob just a little.’
Good Reading

‘Stead, whose When You Reach Me (2009) won the Newbery Medal, and Mass, author of the beloved Willow Falls series, combine their considerable talents to create an unusual fantasy with simplicity, immediacy, and wit.’
Booklist

'Irresistible tale of magic, mystery, and friendship that poses timeless questions about identity and belonging.’
Publishers Weekly
Elaine
This 2018 GRCA nominee tells an unusual tale of friendship. The best part is that my first assumptions were wrong, which is always a pleasant surprise.

Bob is the tale of a girl who returns to Australia after being away five years. She has very little memory of her last visit, so imagine her surprise when she finds a small, green, talking creature waiting in her closet! Livy and Bob must piece together what Bob is (not a zombie), how Bob got there, and how to get Bob home.

It's interesting that on
Amina
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bob is a trip back to the past, revisiting one's childhood, what it was like to be a child, the friendships one had back then.
It is a lovely story about Livy, who went back to her grandma's to find a long lost friend still waiting for her to help him find his way home.
A heartwarming read, lovely illustrations, highly recommended.
Books on Stereo
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Bob is a unique narrative that blends the line between reality and fantasy. Although beautifully written, Bob concludes very abruptly giving the reader a rushed/sloppy conclusion that undercuts the momentum and lore built so expertly throughout the story.
Brandy Painter
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
This is a lovely if bittersweet story of friendship that also happens to be an excellent quest fantasy. It is a perfect choice for elementary readers who are looking to begin reading novels, but aren't quite yet ready for the truly long and intense ones. The dual point of view is wonderful, and Bob is quite amusing.
Nhu
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrow
Sweet little story but I don't like the ending.
Katie
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how this will play for kids, but as an adult, I expected it to pack more of a punch.
Marisa
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up, assuming it was super silly and not something I actually would like. I was wrong, I actually really liked this. Once I started reading, I had to keep going, because I had to find out where Bob came from! If it can intrigue some regular ole adult like me, I imagine it will have an even greater effect on children. The ending was a bit rushed, but it was fine.
Michelle
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-of-2018
Guys, I LOVED this book. It's a good one to pair with Me and Marvin Gardens by A.S. King.

Livy doesn't remember anything about the last time she visited her grandmother. And she forgot something kind of important. A creature named Bob has been waiting for her for FIVE years. It's funny and sweet and I really want a Bob stuffed animal.

The only problem is, I wanted more. I felt there was a lot to the story that was missing. The story was sweet enough where this doesn't bother me too much though.
Ivonne Rovira
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Each of Rebecca Stead’s books differ from the other in all but their surprises she embeds in them. Bob, Stead’s latest, oozes charm — not in a cloying way, but in a way sure to enthrall children and their parents alike.

Bob has been waiting a long, long time — five long years, in fact — in Olivia’s grandmother’s closet. Livvy visited her grandmother’s Australian ranch five years ago, and she had completely forgotten the green and big-hearted creature she’d left, promising she’d be back soon. Now
Nick
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-books
I hate to give this such a low rating. It was very cute, and had a lot of lovable moments, characters, and heart. I felt for little Bob, and I wanted to know what he was, and where he was headed, but when we got the end it all just felt like "shrug, ok . . ."

The payoff wasn't there. Is everything in Livy's book real? Should this really be a terrifying warning tale about mermaids that will drown people, or trolls that will kill over a bridge.

In the end, even with all the heart I was underwhelmed.
Amanda
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this, and the twists and turns along the way kept me guessing. The illustrations were lovely and I can't wait for Madam to read this too so that we can talk about it!
Mock Newbery 2019: August Read - Bob 34 197 Oct 13, 2018 04:52PM
Play Book Tag: Bob by Wendy Mass - 3.5 stars 2 12 Aug 23, 2018 05:46PM
Play Book Tag: Bob - Wendy Mass, 3 stars 5 15 May 25, 2018 06:41PM
MCLS Reading Chal...: first name in title 1 8 May 24, 2018 10:53AM
Wendy Mass is the author of twenty-two novels for young people, including A Mango-Shaped Space, which was awarded the Schneider Family Book Award, Leap Day, the Twice Upon a Time fairy tale series, Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life, Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall, the Willow Falls, Space Taxi and Candymakers series. Wendy wrote the storyline for an episode of the television show Monk, entitled ...more
1 trivia question