Start by marking “When The Curtain Falls” as Want to Read:
When The Curtain Falls

When The Curtain Falls

In 1952 two young lovers meet, in secret, at the beautiful Southern C ross theatre in the very heart of London's West End. Their relationship is made up of clandestine meetings and stolen moments because there is someone who will make them suffer if he discovers she is no longer 'his'. But life in the theatre doesn't always go according to plan and tragedy and heartache ar ...more
Published July 12th 2018 by Little Brown

jo
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Mediocre. Instead of writing a book every year, carrie should dedicate some of her time on writing classes. Quality over quantity. Making money is lovely but producing good literature is better.
Mariana
Jul 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have read fanfics with more quality than this one, because as much as Carrie likes to deny it, this is a fanfic of her relationship with Oliver.
Astrid
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well that was underwhealming.

I heard all the rave about it, so I gave it a try. Man, was I disappointed. The plot is mediocre at best. It is built upon a LOT (and I mean a LOOOOOOOT) of tropes. It is very insta-lovey, one-dimentional characters, cookie cutter stereotypes and all that jazz.
The writing is also underwhelming. Things are told, not shown, which is a bummer. It doesn't really find the sweet spot, and therefore seems very clumsy and off-putting.
Another issues I have with the writing is
Critical Reader
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5

I do wish Carrie would stop basing her characters off of herself and her current boyfriends. Its hard to imagine them as different characters and not just Carrie and (boyfriend) in book form.

However i did like this book and her writing as gotten better. Its still not perfect as she writes these wherever she can, so you cant expect it to be super professionally written.

For a future book id like to see her focus on something else rather than romance. Perhaps a love between friends or family?
Alice Dillon
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok

This is going to be an interesting one. Never in my life have I had such mixed feelings about anything. Half of the book was delightful, and the other half made me want to claw my eyes out. If I only had one word to describe it, it would be ‘frustrating’. Thankfully I have more words than that, so bear with me as I attempt to explain my extremely complicated emotions about this strangest of books.

I decided to read this book in the first place beca
Elise Pool
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok

There's a lot wrong with this book, but the thing that is the most wrong about this book is Carrie's opinions and experiences coming through. The main characters Olive and Oscar are clearly based on herself and her current boyfriend. She has chosen to give Olive almost the same appearance as herself and Oscar a lot the characteristics she has IRL. Her opinions about stage door, about how hard it is to be slightly famous, and being in the musical theatre world have all been discussed in
Shelly
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the third Fiction book by Actress, Singer and Vlogger Carrie Hope Fletcher.

When the Curtain Fall, set in a theatre in both 1952 and Present Day.
This emotive book is a love story, not only for its characters, but also to the theater.
Carrie, having worked in theatres since she was young, knows her craft and surroundings.
This shows, in the description and love dedicated to the setting in its story.

Starting in Present Day, two actors, wonderfully named Olive Green and Oscar Bright. Navigat
Rebecca Farren
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, arcs
Read this review on my blog here: https://rebeccafarren.com/review-when...

Thanks to Little Brown and NetGalley for the review copy.

This review, including the content warning directly below, contains significant spoilers as I feel the subject matter necessitates it.

CW: Rape, abuse, gun violence, suicide

I am a huge fan of Carrie’s work, so when her novels are due to come out I always eagerly count down the days to release. I was thrilled to get an early copy of When The Curtain Falls, but what I f
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the read and it had this author's usual fairytale like feeling most of the way through. You know going into Carrie's books that you need to suspend your disbelief going in, roll with the magic and just get swept up in the stories. This book has two different storylines, one form 2018 and one from 1952 with the earlier having an effect on the latter. I liked the shift in time and really felt captivated in the whole magic of the theatre in the 1952 events. I also learned a lot abo ...more
julia
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ok, so here's the thing: I've read all of Carrie's (fiction) books so far and I can't deny that this one was executed better than her previous ones (her premises always have so much potential...), but still the novel has some serious flaws I couldn't overlook.

It seems to me that the expositional parts and the characterisation is usually rather clumsily done. Squeezing the whole back story of a newly-introduced character into one paragraph doesn't really add much to the reading experience - I'd h
Liz
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read by Carrie Hope Fletcher and I chose it solely due to the fabulous cover! I did generally enjoy the story. I liked the dual timeline plot and the theatre setting was interesting. I also thought the ghostly appearances were well done and in keeping with the plot and the ambience of the old theatre until the end, when I felt it needlessly became a bit silly!

3-4 stars
Amy Rush Da Silva
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
This was just an enchanting, magical, romantic read all set within the gorgeous setting of a theatre.

Despite starting off quite slow, I ended up become hooked on When The Curtain Falls. I fell in love with the characters and I felt like I bonded with most of them almost instantly. Fawn and Walter and Olive and Oscar were all incredibly interesting and reading about their lives was just outstanding.

The time jump from 1950's to the present day was one of the things that kept me gripped. Having a j
Zeba Clarke
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lacklustre and trivial.
Stephanie (earlgreyreads)
Unfortunately this book didn't quite work for me. There are two parallel stories, from the first run of When the Curtain Falls at the Southern Cross Theatre in 1952, to present day when the show is being produced for only the second time since. In 1952, the show ended in tragedy when a character was killed on stage. In present day, Olive, a well-known renowned actress in the theatre is playing the lead in the show. She has an a immediate connection with the male lead- a famous television star, O ...more
Ahyira
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read all of Carrie's books so far and enjoyed them. But this one really shows the growth both in her writing and in her personality. The writing is dense and the tension really gets more and more intense as the story continues. The themes emerge again and again in such a nice way. All in all I really enjoyed reading this book, more than o thought I would. A rich story with beautiful and heart breaking moments.
Charlotte
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Told through Past and Present narratives, the reader learns of the great tragedy that befell Fawn Burrows during a performance of When The Curtain Falls and how things turned out that way. In the present, the production has been rebooted and the leads Oliver and Oscar are unable to ignore the ghostly happenings plaguing their rehersals. I can't remember if I've ever read a book set in a theatre and, as someone who goes to the theatre often, this was a nice,refreshing change of scenery. Alongside ...more
Jana
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this is Carrie's best work so far. While the first half seems kind of light-hearted and a little bit superficial almost, the second half had me gasping constantly and turning the page as quickly as I could. I absorbed every bit of the story so much because I found it super intriguing and interesting. Her writing is beautiful as well.
Lizzie
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I debated whether to give 4 or 5 stars, but at the end of the day all of my requirements for a fantastic book were achieved: I was hooked, I was invested, and I believed it.

There truly is an element of magic to Carrie’s writing that sweeps you up into the story, and by the end my heart was pounding. I got chills at the Big Reveal - the kind that make your heart go cold - and while the beginning was strong, it got stronger as it went on. I think it’s the strongest of all of her books so far, and
AJ
Aug 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, library
I did finish it but not without skimming bits. It didn't really bode well when the second sentence had a typo but I pushed on. Maybe it just wasn't a book for me but I've read similar things that are actually really well written and enjoyed them. I think its possible that the author has good ideas but probably not enough time to flesh them out properly while also preforming in 8 shows a week as well as any other concerts and rehearsals. I wish her good luck but I wont be duped into reading anoth ...more
Becca Milsom
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It was a very easy read and a quick page turner as i wanted to keep reading just to find out what happened!
I fell in love with Walter and Fawn, but for some reason didn't feel quite the same connection with Oscar and Olive, which surprised me, but i think its more down to personal preference- some of their actions and how they were both so insecure just frustrated me.
But i really enjoyed the book and would definietly reccommend!
✣ Freya Wilkinson ✣
' A certain kind of magic is born when the curtain rises.'

This plot had so much potential, it could have been incredible. However, the majority of the novel was polluted with teen angst and romance drama. The story alternates between two love stories; One was rich, archaic and beautiful. The other dull and unfathomable as to why they actually liked each other. So, three stars, it wasn't anything special.
Freya Nedderman
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2018
Slow to start, but from about a third of the way through onwards - just brilliant.
Emma
Aug 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Well, I’m glad I got this from the library. Incredibly limited vocabulary, poor plot and thin idea. It makes me so sad that people are writing innovative and exciting books that can’t get published, yet those with a following seem to be able to publish anything. My English teacher would have cried if I’d turned in something like this at school! Usually I will say “not for me”, but this is a rare case of “genuinely not written, edited, or crafted properly.”
Charlotte Appleyard
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Things I liked

1. When the Curtain Falls shines when discussing the details of the theatre world, opening nights, rehearsals, the relationships between cast members, even the structure of the stage and the mundane everyday things like signing in and out and receiving post. I enjoyed all this, it felt very real and intimate as we got to see a side to the theatre that's rarely discussed.

2. Very readable and easy to pick up, I flew through it and found it quite entertaining

3. The drama revolving ar
Megan Jones
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
In 1952 two young lovers meet in the beautiful Southern Cross theatre, right at the very heart of London’s West End. The only catch is they have to meet in secret. Their relationship is made up of clandestine meetings and stolen moments because there is someone who will make them suffer if he discovers she is no longer ‘his’. But life in the theatre does not always go according to plan and tragedy and heartache are waiting in the wings. In the present day it looks like history is about to repeat ...more
Carys
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
So I've finally finished a Carrie Hope Fletcher book feeling satisfied and happy! This book definitely had its issues but overall I really enjoyed it, and it's by far my favourite of Carrie's three novels.

I LOVED the Walter and Fawn storyline- I was so behind the romance, and it was just really gripping and fascinating to read. It was so emotional and beautiful, dealing with some really dark and tragic themes, and it showed off how well Carrie can write! Through some of the book I felt that Car
Lucie
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I stated when I first started reading it that it was different to that which I usually read and sadly not in a good way. In no way is it a bad novel by any means, I did honestly enjoy it and found myself wanting it read more. But that’s just it, I wanted more from it, but what I received was one-dimensional characters, a stereotypical plotline and things being described too heavily giving no room for the imagination. Similarly the relationship between the present day couple Olive and Oscar was r ...more
Galy
I fell in love with this book from page one. I'll keep this story near my heart as I've loved every word of it.
Olive and Oscar's story was so... beautiful but sadly, also too familiar at first. Walter and Fawn's story was tragic but also beautiful from the start.
I love how this book went from the present to the past to tell you two stories combined.

I love Carrie's books but I think this is my favourite of hers to this day. You can tell her love for the theatre on this one, it's pure magic.
Mélanie D.
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I wanted to give Carrie's books a try because I really love and respect her and everything she does, from her YT channel to her shows (saw her in Les Misérables a few years ago, she was amazing!).
But I'm afraid this book was not for me. I found it predictable and cliché. It was like a bad mix of Phantom of the Opera and Moulin Rouge (which I both love to death).
But you can really feel all the love she has for theater and its people, and you can definitely tell how kind and generous she is throug
Katey Lovell
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5* I really, really loved this book! The theatre setting, the ghostly elements, the characters who I cared about from the off... fabulous! I've enjoyed all Carrie's books, but her writing is getting better and better with each novel - this was immersive escapism and exactly what I'd hoped for from this book. Romantic, dark, brilliant.
Female characters 1 14 Jul 22, 2018 01:51PM
Carrie Hope Fletcher is an actress, author and singer-songwriter.

She played Eponine in the West End production of Les Miserables at the Queen's Theatre until February 13th 2016. She is the first actress to have played both young Eponine and older Eponine.
Fletcher went on to play Truly Scrumptious in the UK touring production of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Wednesday Addams in the UK touring produ