Start by marking “Neighborly” as Want to Read:
Neighborly

Neighborly

A not-to-be-missed novel of suspense about the secrets hidden in a young couple’s new neighborhood.

Kat and Doug felt like Aurora Village was the perfect community. Minutes from the city, affluent without pretension, low crime with a friendly vibe—it’s everything Kat never had, and that she’s determined to provide for her infant daughter. Snagging a nice bungalow in this
Published March 1st 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Neighborly, please sign up.
nicole mckinney I am from California and currently live in Oklahoma, I can totally believe they over paid that much. The real estate market on the SF peninsula is…moreI am from California and currently live in Oklahoma, I can totally believe they over paid that much. The real estate market on the SF peninsula is very pricey. (less)
CJ
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Neighborly
Melki
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
“The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Kat and Doug have spent nearly every penny they have on the crappiest house in the best neighborhood in the San Francisco Bay area. And, oh, what neighbors! They throw a block party to welcome the newcomers! (I had just one woman stop by when we moved here. She brought some sort of gray looking muffins, and really, it was only to invite my boys to
Hester
Thank you Amazon first reads, because of your generosity I didn't have to buy it!

Good fences make for good neighbors. Minding your own business and not interacting with your neighbors makes for better neighbors!

Kat her husband Doug and baby daughter, Sadie, move to the perfect neighborhood on the perfect block with the most wonderfulest perfectest neighbors ever! They are so kind and full of love that the neighbors have a block party to welcome them into their community. Everyone is so warm and
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly riveting, couldn't put this book down!

Oh yes! A book that I loved to be lost in. This one suckered me in from the very first page and held me in a type of reading bondage. Willing participant of course.

The storyline is brilliant. If you love suburbia that's got a twisted side under perfect facades then this is for you. The book is paced perfectly and when the first reveal hits, even if you sense it coming, its still deliciously naughty and thrilling!

As for the characters. There are quite a
Cat L
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
sListen, I am not a prude but I feel like it is not fair or really cool to not give readers a heads up about the incredible amount of highly sexual content of this book.

Parts were incredibly uncomfortable (again not a prude) but because I was not expecting it. You will accidentally stumble down the rabbit hole and not see it coming. I slapped my forehead for my lack of seeing the foreshadowing of things to come.

Those who dislike f bombs will really need a pass on this. Yes, there are some but to
Robin Loves Reading
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Kat and Doug have moved into a new neighborhood called Aurora Village. It is certainly a dream come true, even if it cost them every penny they had. From a threatening note found outside their door to deep, rather disturbing secrets, Kat instantly becomes extremely worried. Also, they are the new parents of Sadie and this brings on challenges of its own, including the distance that has developed between Kat and Doug. More than one thing is off-kilter.

Between meeting the
Tiffany Delahunt
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Far fetched & awkward

I hate to write negative reviews but this was just a ridiculous and unbelievable plot, with terrible, one-dimensional characters and nothing redeeming.
Kati
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
Zuky the BookBum
Warning: long review!

This read started well for me, I got through the first 45% really quickly. It’s a pretty generic story but it was fast paced and due to the mass amount of characters, I didn’t have any idea who could have been the mischievous note-leaver.

Then we get to 45%, and the story gets weird… I don’t always mind a strange plot change, but this one was bad. It comes all at once (hahahahaha THAT’S a pun) and out of nowhere. It’s really left-field and instantly halted my reading. The
Jeannie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had to force myself to finish this book. The first half was not interesting at all. The second half got better but it just wasn't my cup of tea. About a community that shares each others spouse. It just didn't have interesting content to me. The main character was a total bore with all her complaints. It just went on and on with her.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
DRAMA, Drama, Drama! It makes me appreciate moving from suburbia to the country even more; where my closest neighbors have four legs, don't talk and always mind their own business.
Petra
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, drama, ku, suspense
Started off really well, but I was disappointed with the rushed ending. The issues are resolved so quickly and in such an unbelievable manner, it spoilt the rest of the book for me. Still, this kept me attentive and entertained throughout although the female main character was irritating (what is it with all these whinging and whining female protagonists at the moment? I just keep coming across them all the time at the moment.)
The neighbors could have done with some more character development,
Shaina
It started off pretty good. It interested me at first and then it got weird, in my opinion. I think it was supposed to be different and weird, though it wasn’t my cup of tea. I think there was a moral or something in there. There were loads of secrets and lies but a lot of, uh openness about things as well. Had these ppl all just talked about this stuff earlier this whole thing ... mountain out of a mole hill situation.
The end was just “off” to me and entirely too convenient. 2.5 rounded up
Katherine Joyce
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Disappointing Read

I can see why this writer chose a pen name.
I'm not a fan...the narrator was unlikable and the plot wasn't believable.

Also, PSA since the main character did NOT stop bringing it up...you can have a damn glass of wine when you're breastfeeding. My. God.

Disclaimer, I hated this book.
Lisa
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was ok to start, but BOY did it spiral down into a ridiculous mess of nonsensical absurdity. I recommend you skip it.
Madeline
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like it but....

First of all, too repetitive. Same thoughts over and over from the narrator about her family, problems, love for them, her deep psychological understanding of people and events. The story got sillier and more unrealistic as it went on. Pedophilia, open marriage, murder, threats, poisoning, and this all on ONE block in the most desirable neighborhood in the city. One additional detail thrown in was that our narrator lives in the teeniest home on the block named,
Michelle
I stopped reading 36% of the way in. On nearly every page, the narrator consistently mentioned feeling out of place, not being good enough, and generally denigrating herself. It was exhausting - pages full of self-doubt, not feeling good enough for her husband, who was better, more handsome, kinder, etc.

I hadn't read any reviews before starting this book, but other readers commented on the f-bombs and explicit sex scenes, so I'm stopping now.
Amber Myott
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugggghhhh , skipped read most of this book just because I try to finish everything I start .
I found the writing simplistic and cheesy ,the characters unremarkable and the plot farcical .
Bridget
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-tbr-june18, 1-tbr

Oh, Neighborly, how I adore thee!! *insert gratified sigh*

Seriously, big smooches to the author Ellie Monago for sharing this magic with the world!

So Kat and Doug are super excited to move into the coveted neighborhood of Aurora Village, AKA the AV. What they don’t know is in the AV lies something sinister behind that Stepford facade and all of the gushy, ‘be my bff’ ‘no, be MY bff’ goodness. So who is behind the notes and threats and will they find out and disclose Kat’s secret??

Kat is ...my
Lori
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hayley
Mar 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF'd at 35%. Terrible book, boring characters, almost no plot, nothing to keep the reader engaged.
Lucille
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
numbing-ly.
Jeanine
This is a prime first reads book.. I couldn't put it down.. It's a first rate thriller with a satisfying ending.
Leslie
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, ku
This was a strange book. It isn't really the mystery as much as it is a 'thriller' but it is rather banal thriller. The story has an unreliable narrator, this wasn't a term I was aware of until I started watching Westworld. The problem I had with the book is the main character Kat is really unlikeable but since she is a victim you feel bad for not liking her. she is a thirty something woman struggling with her temporary stay at home mom role in her home in a exclusive neighborhood.

One of the
Kim
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this as a Kindle First as the synopsis sounded interesting as a creepy thriller.

Kat and Doug have used literally all their money to buy a house in the "perfect" neighbourhood and basically, right from the outset, things are not as perfect as they seem. There's something odd about the street and the inhabitants but this idea initially comes from Kat who isn't the most reliable of sources.

The issue is that none of the characters are properly developed, and that could even be said of the main
Jean Cole
In this suspense novel, Kat and her husband Doug move into the perfect neighborhood with the perfect neighbors even though they really can't afford it. Right away, the threatening anonymous messages begin. Kat chooses not to tell her husband, which is explained by her deep sense of insecurity, which is a result of childhood sex abuse by one of her teachers.
I have sympathy for Kat, but whenever I read a book that prominently features what might be referred to as a "suburban housewife" who is
Kay Oliver
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I gobbled this up like a starving animal. I could not put it down and when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it, trying to figure out all the secrets and mysteries. This story is packed with thrill and mystery, it moves from one to the next with barely a breather in between. Definitely thriller of the year. A must read. Satisfying with real, multifaceted characters that invoke strong emotions, both good and bad.
Lindsey
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The perfect amount of neighborly drama I was looking for!
June
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ending seemed a bit rushed. A lot was wrapped up, improbably, in only a few chapters. I found Kat’s whining a little annoying. Despite that, it was an easy read with a twist. Open marriages and partner swapping might be offensive to some readers.
Kelli
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Oddly enough I was really hooked on this book until the end when everything all came together.

Neighborly follows Kat and Doug and their new baby, Sadie, as they move into a seemingly idyllic neighborhood full of interesting characters. This main premise - along with the promise of a murder - is what initially hooked me. The drama leading up to big reveal was just that, dramatic. It kept me on my edge trying to figure out who was responsible and piecing together Kat's background.

But then the big
Play Book Tag: (Trim) Neighborly by Ellie Monago - 3 stars 1 9 Oct 20, 2019 08:37AM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: Neighborly by Ellie Monago 1 1 Nov 21, 2018 06:59AM
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2018.8: Neighborly 3 33 Mar 16, 2018 05:11AM

• Trespassing
  • The Thinnest Air
  • Not Perfect
  • Lies That Bind Us
  • Tips for Living
  • Digging In
  • Twist of Faith (Ava Saunders #1)
  • It Ends with Her
  • Rapid Falls
  • The Last Thing She Ever Did
  • False Step
  • What You Did
“I remember my mother’s emotional absence, the vacuum where a person should have been, the shell; I” 0 likes
“Sadie’s cries are desperately plaintive. She needs her mommy, pathetically so. I needed my mommy just that way, and she let me down. I remember my mother’s emotional absence, the vacuum where a person should have been, the shell; I don’t recall an angry presence. I didn’t even register that much. I had no molecular influence on my mother.” 0 likes