Start by marking “What Happens at Christmas” as Want to Read:
What Happens at Christmas

What Happens at Christmas

Best-selling author Andrew Vitruvius knows that any publicity is good publicity. His agent tells him that often, so it must be true. In the run-up to Christmas, she excels herself - talking him into the craziest scheme yet: getting himself kidnapped, live on TV.
But when the plan goes ahead and Drew is unceremoniously thrown in the back of a van before being dragged to a hu
Published December 5th 2017 by Choc-lit

To ask other readers questions about What Happens at Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happens at Christmas

Debra
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

What Happens at Christmas might aptly be titled What didn't happen at Christmas?

Best Selling Author, Andrew "Drew" Vitruvius, wants a good publicity stunt. How about your good old-fashioned kidnapping? Who doesn't like one of those? How much publicity would he get if he were to be kidnapped live on the air? Sales would skyrocket!!! But what happens when you "kidnapping" feels a little too real? When your kidnappers get a little rough with you? What happens when you are left alone in a h
Brenda
Lori France had organised a B&B for a few days over Christmas while her house was being repaired from recent storms; her dismay at the unexpected arrival of her sister – and change to her plans – leaving her four-year-old daughter Misty in Lori’s care turned to delight as she revelled in her niece’s company. Christmas would be a wonderful experience for Lori with Misty – and Griff, Lori’s cat – by her side.

Andrew Vitruvius – Drew to his friends – was a popular author who had been persuaded t
Veronica ⭐️
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, choc-lit
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
Successful author Andrew (Drew) Vitruvius reluctantly agrees to a fake kidnapping on live TV as a publicity stunt. However the kidnapping feels all too real when he is left beaten and chained in an abandoned house with no means of escape.

Lori France, an aspiring writer, is looking forward to a few days off to finish writing her first novel. When her four-year-old niece is unceremoniously dumped on her for the holiday break Lori puts aside her plans and ta
Anita
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anita by: Brenda

A Romantic-Suspense Christmas Book - Be still my heart! This is truly a rare breed in a reading list filled with sappy romances. It has humor too!!! It is sooooo good! I've added all Evonne Wareham's titles to my "to read" list. Yeah, she is that good. Intelligent, inventive plot, fully developed characters, a sweet slow romance and suspense that keeps you guessing. Throw in th
Karen Mace
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In these mad celebrity driven times that we live in where all publicity is seen as good publicity, when the author Drew is told he will be kidnapped in order to raise his profile, he sees it as a little odd but goes along with it in the name of promotion! But when he ends up in a shed in the middle of nowhere, beaten and bound he begins to think all is not as it seems!!

Meanwhile, Lori has the builders in and needs to escape the madness that her home has become! And she ends up with her 4 year ol
Rachel Gilbey
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing

What an incredibly addictive and impressive book - its very different to the soft fluffy Christmas titles out there, and that is in part what will set this book apart.

It is gritty, there is action, I honestly wasn't completely convinced I was going to get the ending I wanted, and although Christmas does feature, its not your typical Christmas either.

There is nothing predictable about this book, it kept me guessing throughout, especially in regards to Andrew who was by far my favourite characte
Pamela(AllHoney)
Andrew Vitruvius agrees to let himself be kidnapped for publicity reasons but when it happens he realizes that it is for real. Lori France and her niece end up in rural Wales for Christmas while her home gets a new roof. While out searching for "fairies", Lori and her niece discover Andrew/Drew and rescue him. A heavy snow forces Drew to remain with Lori for a few days.

Tagged as a romance, I guess it qualifies but the romance was a disappointment. They didn't meet until about a 1/3 through the b
Jenny
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Happens At Christmas is about Dew Vitruvius and Lori France and how a chance meeting changed their lives forever. Lori France was going to stay at B&B while her builders build her new kitchen. However, this did not happen because of her sister Lark, had left her four-year daughter Misty with her for the Christmas break. Dew Vitruvius through he was involved with a harmless stunt to promote his new book by been kidnapped on live TV. For Dew, Vitruvius the kidnapping did not get off as pl ...more
Els
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very fluently written book that keeps your attention from the beginning until the end. A story full of emotions : tears, smiles, love, jalousy, hate and to give it some extra pizzazz, a touch of suspense. Curl up in your favourite chair with your favourite drink and something to nibble on and enjoy it or if you are looking for a good gift to put under the christmas tree, you have now found it.
Robin
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bestselling Author Drew Vitruvius agrees to be "kidnapped" for a charity event on live TV. Things don't go as planned, and Drew ends up chained and locked in a shed in the middle of the woods in South Wales. Lori France is planning a quiet vacation by herself so she can work on her book, when her flighty sister drops her daughter on Lori's doorstep. Changing her plans, Lori takes her niece, Misty, to a farmhouse to celebrate Christmas. As Lori and Misty walk in the nearby woods looking for mistl ...more
Charanya
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up

The crime and mystery parts were well written. Even when the case looked like it was getting solved I kept thinking there was something amiss and true to that the last couple of chapters packed a wallop. Although not entirely unexpected, the suspense was written very well

The parts with Lori and Misty were also lovely and emotional. What fell a little short was the actual romance. I understand that there was a connection between Drew and Lori and they always had the pull towar
Melissa Borsey
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightfully fun read for Christmas! This was a very engaging story with great characters. I loved Lori and Drew and spent a good portion of the book hoping they would find each other again! Highly recommend! I received a copy of this book from Choc-Lit and Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Sifra (brilliant bookshelf)
Netgalley provided me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

What Happens at Christmas is a wonderful holiday-themed read. You want to keep on reading because of the plot and mystery-aspect. Moreover, the balance between romance/sweetness and hardship is just right! It makes for a good read during Christmas.
Joanna Lambert
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW TO COME
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

If you're looking for a book which can cater for all of your bookish needs in one large swoop, look no further as Evonne Wareham has written a story which not only contains romance, it also contains a large about of suspense and grit. What more could you want?

What is even better is that 'What Happens at Christmas', if you haven't worked it out already, is incredibly apt with this time of year as the story is set during
Jeannie Zelos
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it

What Happens at Christmas,  Evonne Wareham

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: Mystery and Thrillers, Women's Fiction

A mixed read here, it being a Choc-lit read I didn't notice the genre, ( I adore Cho-lit romances) and was expecting more romance. There is some, but its tied up in the mystery, kind of equal parts.

It was a fun read, and I loved the section where Lori, Misty and Drew were having Christmas in the barn. That was just magical, and felt so right for this time of year, had me
Marsha Spohn
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

What Happens at Christmas is not the typical holiday love story that one might expect at this time of year. This story has grit, mystery, some sinister moments mixed in with two people finding an attraction in the middle of a rather unique circumstance.

As an adrenaline junkie who does most of his own extreme research for his fast paced novels, Drew probably wasn’t as surprised as he should have been at the idea of a faked kidnapping on live television. Except… this f
Boekenfans
GIVEN BY CHOC LIT (www.facebook.com/groups/boekenfans)

Reviews

Written by Kim Wymeersch

What happens at Christmas is a beautiful, romantic story.
Together with Drew and Lori you discover what love can be like. Evonne creates a perfect recognisable setting, you immediately feel a connection with the main characters.
The fact that Drew is an author makes it even easier for me to connect. Lori’s thoughts are so similar to mine that it becomes creepy at some moments.
While reading ‘What happens at Christm
Rachel
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I still can't believe that we are actually in December and taking full advantage of this I'm really enjoying all of the wonderful Christmas stories. What Happens at Christmas is no exception it has some lovely warm and cosy vibes that will easily leave you smiling on these colder days. However there is also the added aspect of the kidnapping which really enhanced the storyline. It was such an interesting way to start the story something just that little bit different to capture my attention.

The
Angela Britnell
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What Happens at Christmas combined romance with a suspenseful mystery all in a wonderful Christmas setting making it in my opinion a perfect read for the holidays.
Drew, a famous adventure writer, agrees to be ‘kidnapped’ for charity on live TV but when things turn real it’s a different story. He’s rescued by Lori whose Christmas is not turning out as she’d planned even before she stumbles across Drew. A quiet week off work spent on her writing while her cottage is being renovated falls apart wh
Linda
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Drew is an adventure writer, taking on challenges to get the story just right. When its suggested he gets "kidnapped", a great publicity stunt, he's in. But somewhere along he way things get a bit rough? Why the lock up in a shed in the middle of the woods and no comforts. Suddenly this doesn't seem like a stunt and Drew becomes desperate.
Lori is having to leave her home, due to home renovations, that cannot not be delayed any longer. The sudden arrival of her irresponsible sister is not going t
Emily Wrayburn
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, ebook, arc
Review originally posted on A Keyboard and an Open Mind 22 December 2017:

This book started off really strong, though I was a little disappointed with how quickly the mystery cleared itself up. Still, it was an addictive read overall.

Best-selling fantasy author Andrew Vitruvius reluctantly agrees to a publicity stunt in the lead-up to Christmas: being “kidnapped” on live TV to raise “ransom” money for charity. But the event goes wrong and Drew finds himself chained to the wall in barn with dwindl
Gill
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a cracker – I really enjoyed it. The story is about Lori who is an aspiring author, and is bamboozled into caring for her small niece over Christmas. Drew is already an author, writing dare devil type stories for which he does his own physically demanding research. However, his latest escapade goes dramatically adrift – someone intends a fake kidnapping to actually be very real, with the hopeful outcome being Drew’s demise.

I liked all the people I was supposed to like, and thoroughly d
Isobel McIlwraith
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for something different, exciting and absorbing then I recommend this. The characters are interesting and individual and the plot is convoluted. Previously I had only read Summer in San Remo by Evonne Wareham, which is a great summer read- or indeeed a winter read to remind you of summer. This is entirely different.
Snow is a great and much used way to get the hero and heroine stranded together for a Christmas story- so I started to read this with interest but no great anticipa
Amanda
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, holiday, mystery
This is a great story that combines three of my favorite genres/themes: mystery, romance, and holiday. I found the two main characters - Lori, an office manager and aspiring author, and Drew, a world-renowned, best-selling author - to have enough depth to make them interesting, realistic, and likeable. A large part of the story takes places in the quiet, Welsh countryside in a converted barn, which adds to the charm. The only thing I didn't care for was how the second half of the book was a bit ...more
Ruth
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are going to buy just one Christmas book, I thoroughly recommend What Happens at Christmas is the one to choose. A mystery and a love story, Evonne Wareham's latest book is a delightfully absorbing read. No need to limit this just for Christmas as the plot occurs over twelve months. A tremendous read whether summer or winter.
Felicia Allen
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book a little too slow moving for my taste, but an excellent read. I loved the characters, plot, and ending. At times it was a little predictable but good for a cozy blanket, hot chocolate, and candle type read.
Julie C-F
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read the book in one setting, I couldn't put it down. I love the fast pace and the thoughts written along with the conversation and descriptions.

It is just like me, saying what I am thinking, sometimes without conscious thought 😀
Carole I Graham
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow this is a trifle different!

Definitely darker than the usual Christmas story but the characters are credible and the story absorbing. It moves quickly and keeps the reader's attention. Read it all in one go as I had to know what happened!
Liz
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
A perfect Christmas read with a little drama and suspense to keep you hooked.
Evonne was born and brought up in Wales. After living in London for many years she has now returned to the Welsh coast where she studies history, writes and walks by the sea, when it's not raining.