Start by marking “The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)

The Prisoner of Limnos

(Penric and Desdemona (Publication order) #6)

In this sequel novella to “Mira’s Last Dance”, Temple sorcerer Penric and the widow Nikys have reached safety in the duchy of Orbas when a secret letter from a friend brings frightening news: Nikys’s mother has been taken hostage by her brother’s enemies at the Cedonian imperial court, and confined in a precarious island sanctuary.

Their own romance still unresolved, Nikys,
Published October 26th 2017 by Spectrum Literary Agency

Start your review of The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)
Liz
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
We all know how I feel about Bujold by now, right? It's nice to get some resolution to the love story (which, to be fair, we all knew where it was going). The story itself was...fun albeit Milesian. And Milesian is not a criticism because I love Miles deeply and forever (even if I would murder him if I had to live with him).
There is an interesting thing I want to write about Miles versus Penric as models of...an overinhabited mind, let us say. And as people who are constantly in over their head
Bradley
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am kinda surprised by this novella. Penric's in love! LOOOVEEE. And he goes to great, adventuresome lengths to help his love.

You know, scaling the highest religious order castle, perform death-defying stunts, rust door locks, blow up seagulls, and dress up as a woman.

You know, the normal stuff that women ask of us men.

:) I had fun! So is this a romance? I do believe it is. The fantasy bits are cool, but they only serve the romance. :)
Book Gannet
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Much though I enjoyed Mira’s Last Dance, I will admit to being slightly disappointed in Nikys at the end. This disappointment carried through to the beginning of this book, because of the way she’s using Penric. She knows she’s doing it, she even feels slightly guilty about it, but she does it anyway. Of course, Penric is an adult with a two hundred year old demon looking after him, so he’s hardly defenseless, but still, I was not wholly in charity with Nikys at the start of this book.

Thankfully
Nicole Luiken
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Read in an afternoon. Adventure, relationships, cool magic.

Fave bit: How Nikys made rescuing her mother an offering to the Daughter of Spring. And her other brother's appearance.
Peter Tillman
Nice sequel to "Mira's Last Dance," but suffers a bit from having basically the same plot -- see the publisher's preview. But, hey, it's a Bujold, so the characters are wonderful, the writing is first-rate, and there's a heart-warming ending. So I enjoyed it, and if you've liked previous Pen & Des outings, you will too. Recommended. ...more
Denise
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5. Fun to have Pen back and I'm sure his new extended family will provide some future adventures!
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This is part of a series and towards the end. I definitely recommend reading at least Mira's Last Dance before this one and by preference all the rest of them, too.

Well, it's a decent wrap, though I'm still bummed with how Nykis and Penric turned out. The adventure of this one was mildly interesting and I enjoyed what little interaction we got between Pen and Nykis. But as is usual for me in this series, the real draw was Des and Penric. That relationship remains as stellar as it ever was.

It's
Roslyn
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This instalment of the Penric novellas resolved very, very satisfactorily (those who have been reading the series can probably guess what I'm referring to). Whatever I've written about the other novellas applies here, in spades - apart from the very first, I'd say this is the one I've enjoyed the most so far.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, fantasy
All the books in this series are awesome entertainment. Really enjoyed the stories and narration.
Wm
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a satisfying wrap up to the Penric and Nikys story (although more of the two of them would be welcome) although the plot is a bit too obvious. Otoh, seeing Penric and co. being competent and clever still makes for a good story.
Chip
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Have it 4 stars because Bujold, and couldn’t - quite - bring myself to give it only 3. But really, not as strong as most of her Miles books, or the actual Chalion novels. I think it’s a combination of the novella format not really having enough (or at least as much) depth, and the continued deus ex machina. It’s the anti-GRRM effect, in that at no point is there really any suspense whether things will turn out ok.
katayoun Masoodi
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, favorites
love penric, desdemona and nikys.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellas, fantasy
3rd read: Even better now. I need more Bosha please.
Dave Packard
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, sword
And back to the Penric’s Mission trilogy! This one with a little shaman magic mixed in. I have liked each of the books and look forward to the next one!
Alealea
LMB is so playing us.
I think I should be mad but the story is so enjoyable and Pen and Des so irresistible...

it is perfect.

---
It was really funny to hear the voiced version of some characters... Not at all like I pictured it when reading. But still, definitely, a great enjoyment.
David Holmes
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I've been extremely distracted by real life and have been "reading" this book for a ridiculously long time now. This is not a great way to read any book and I suspect it negatively impacted my enjoyment a bit, but I'm not going to overthink it. This is another solid Penric novella, but for some reason the main plot didn't excite me all that much. It definitely had its moments, though.
T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I do like Bujold's Penric novellas (well, nearly everything she writes, really). They're short, sweet, and fun. Penric and Desdemona are excellent characters, and I have high hopes for Nikys, too.

I look forward to the next one.
Stephen Richter
I am now all caught up with this marvelous series which gives us the tales of Penric and his demon. Now I will wait for the next installment hoping it comes soon. Had a few hours in the car which is all you need to put a dent in these short but brilliant stories.
Soo
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Need to Review

Good wrap up for the series. Lots of laugh out loud moments.
John Loyd
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Penric has just gotten another letter ordering him back to Adria. He's been putting off the return in hopes that Nikys would accept his offer of marriage. Nikys comes to him with a note that says her mother has been taken prisoner and is being help on the Isle of Limnos in a Temple of the Daughter's Order. Idrene is not only dear to Nikys, but is a hostage that the Cedonians would use against Adelis. The duke can't send troops in but he is willing to fund Nikys and Penric in their rescue attempt ...more
Antti Värtö
The final Penric & Desdemona novella has a similar feel as Mission: short time after the events of Mira's Last Dance, Penric once again has to engage in a sensitive and covert mission. This time it's to rescue the eponymous prisoner, Nycos' mother.

The romantic tomes of Mira's Last Dance are present as well, so the book reads as a natural continuation of the previous novellas.

Nothing really new, simply another pleasant novella in a pleasant series.
Sctechsorceress
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, fantasy
What can I say about “The Prisoner of Limnos”? It's the sixth novella in the Penric and Desdemona series, and follows right after “Mira's Last Dance”. We follow up on what happened to Penric and Nikys after their arrival in the duchy of Orbas. Penric's superiors want him to come back to their temple. Penric doesn't want to go... at least not yet.

It's hard not to say too much about the plot. This is, after all, a novella. But it's a good story. It's got all the adventure, and daring and even s
Jen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lite-read
Nikys asks for Pen's help in going to rescue her mother, who is being held hostage (should have seen that coming with all the foreshadowing). We meet the most Mary Stu like character of Bujold's yet, but I don't care because I love him in all his ridiculous, unrealistic albino AND eunuch AND assassin-bodyguard glory. It's a character written just for teenage-me, complete with younger charge he's of course in love with. Curious to see where this love triangle ends up....
Denise
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
In which Penric rescues a damsel from a locked room.

I really wish Bujold would have made a novel out of these, and cut down on the repetitive explication. The convoluted, interwoven plots of her novels are part of their appeal; the short form demands a straighter line.
John
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A rescue and a romance (a little too much of the latter for my taste), with no fewer than three potentially fascinating new characters to hope appear in future episodes.
Lis Carey
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, f-sf, fiction
Penric and Nikys escaped Patos and made their way successfully to the court of the Duke of Orbas. Penric is reluctant to return to his duties elsewhere, hoping to be reassigned to Orbas so he can continue courting Nikys.

Or trying to. It's not the Nikys isn't interested. She is. But now that she knows that Penric is not just a Temple Divine but a sorcerer, she's very uncomfortable about sharing him with Desdemona, his demon, and Desdemona, of course, can't leave while Penric is alive.

When she get
Cmoore
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ummm, yeah... I may have binged 4 of the Penric and Desdemona novellas in 2 days, wanna make sumpthin' out of it? LOL!  You gotta realize that if I did that (and I really did), that there's something to these fun lighthearted tales... Penric's so affable in his daily tête-à-tête with his Demon, Desdemona, it's just so much fun to eavesdrop on them. This may just be my favorite Penric story, yet!
This is the conclusion to the mini ARC which started in Penric's Mission, and we find him rushing int
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked the bit where Nykis asked what their relationship would be and Desdemonda says something like, "Sweetling, for you I'll be anything you like" and you know Penric is dying of embarrassment and Nykis can't decide if she's turned on or not and I'm just yelling at my audiobook "YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN"
Matthew Galloway
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is just an absolutely wonderful series. Fascinating world building, lovable characters, plenty of high stakes and cleverness, and all broken down into these easily digestible novellas. I am always left wanting more -- but in all the best ways.
Olgalijo
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Compared to some of the other novellas in the series, this looks more like a needed piece of narrative to keep the longer term story line moving. That said, still very well worth reading and enjoyable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Placeholder Cover replacement 2 19 Apr 27, 2018 04:25AM

• Paladin's Grace
  • Minor Mage
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • Swordheart
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • The Gate of Gods (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #3)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • Accepting the Lance (Liaden Universe, #22)
  • The Ships of Air (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #2)
  • Neogenesis (Liaden Universe, #21)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • The Wizard Hunters (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #1)
  • The Best of Robert Ingersoll
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse

Penric and Desdemona (Publication order) (8 books)
  • Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • Penric’s Mission (Penric and Desdemona, #3)
  • Mira's Last Dance (Penric and Desdemona, #4)
  • Penric's Fox (Penric and Desdemona, #5)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • The Physicians of Vilnoc (Penric and Desdemona, #8)