Start by marking “Shelter of the Most High (Cities of Refuge, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shelter of the Most High (Cities of Refuge, #2)

Shelter of the Most High

(Cities of Refuge #2)

The daughter of a pagan high priest, Sofea finds solace from her troubles in the freedom of the ocean. But when marauders attack her village on the island of Sicily, she and her cousin are taken across the sea to the shores of Canaan.

Eitan has lived in Kedesh, a city of refuge, for the last eleven years, haunted by a tragedy in his childhood, yet chafing at the
Published October 2nd 2018 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Shelter of the Most High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelter of the Most High

Start your review of Shelter of the Most High (Cities of Refuge, #2)
Jessica
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the publisher (Bethany House) in exchange for an honest review.

This book is the second in a series and I did not read the first book. Like a lot of Christian fiction series, the first book centers on one of the characters in this book. The fact that I did not read it did not hinder my comprehension of the story. Anything that happened in the previous book was explained fully in this one, so it it totally possible to read this as a stand-alone.

This was also my
Deanne Patterson
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you've never read biblical fiction and think it may be boring and preachy let me assure you this author will fascinate you as you read. I was swept back to 1388 BC as the author's talented pen wove a haunting tale of capture,betrayal and a murderous plot. Yet through all this love blossoms. This is the second book in the Cities of Refuge series and the first I am reading but yet don't feel as if I am missing parts of the story as the author does an excellent job of bringing us up to date on t ...more
Beth
Even with the ancient setting, Cossette’s novels have such a freshness to them. I’ve never read any novels with the setting of refuge cities for those guilty of manslaughter in Israel, nor had I thought of the implications that fleeing there means a permanent life within those walls. Shelter of the Most High brings this ancient time to life in Kedesh, one such city of refuge, brining readers back into contact with beloved characters from the first book, while meeting new ones to love just as muc ...more
Loraine
The cities of refuge are mentioned in both Exodus and Numbers. There were 6 cities in the Promised Land designated as such. Intentional murderers were put to death, but those who unintentionally caused someone's death, by God's laws, were allowed to flee to a city of refuge.

Sofea and Prezi end up in Canaan after being captured by and escaping pirates. They are almost dead when discovered by Eitan a young man who has grown up in Kedesh, a city of refuge. His family takes the girls in, and they b
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Cossette’s books transport readers back to another time, her skill at setting such that you feel as though you are walking the dusty roads, rooftops, and marketplaces right along with the characters. Her extensive research helps the era come alive with intriguing details, and I love how she has pulled an entire series of compelling characters and soul-touching plots from a concept briefly mentioned in Scripture. It allows me to see familiar Old Testament settings & customs in new and fresh w ...more
Susan
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my most-anticipated books of the year, and the wait was worth it! Not only is the cover stunning, the story inside is equally magnificent. In my humble opinion, Connilyn Cossette continues to be one of the best authors in this genre.
Shelter of the Most High reunites readers with much loved characters of the first book in the Cities of Refuge series, as well as introducing us to new ones. The setting is 1388 BC Israel centering on the beginnings of the cities of refuge menti
Staci
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Connilyn has such a talent of taking a part of the Bible and weaving a story around it. In the Cities of Refuge Series, many of the main characters have been found to have committed a crime such as manslaughter and they've found shelter in one of the refuge cities.

In Shelter of the Most High, beloved Eitan from A Light on the Hill is the main male of the novel. Eitan was not yet a teenager when readers last spent time with him.

The main female character, Sofea, loves the sea and is f
Kav
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure Connilyn Cossette is my favourite biblical fiction author. She has a gift for bringing this time period to life, delving deep into culture and customs and I come away from reading one of her books feeling like I have a better understanding of this era. And her storytelling skills are exceptional -- so beautifully lyrical that I find myself reading bits out loud just because it deserves that kind of recognition.

Love the theme of cities of refuge that carries through th
Rebecca
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The Almighty Creator spoke your being into existence. How could you be anything less than precious?"

The daughter of a pagan high priest, Sofea feels anything but precious, as the life that she has always known near the sea, albeit violent and gruesome at times, is stripped away without so much as a whispered good-bye. Kidnapped by violent pirates, Sofea and her cousin Prezi survive a brutal escape, only to find themselves tossed upon the shores of a distant land. Who are these peopl
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2OTmu2Y

Shelter of the Most High by Connilyn Cossette is a novel not to be missed. It’s difficult for my words to adequately reflect the magnificence of this story, and a 5-star rating falls far short. I found it entertaining, informative, and uplifting. It stands tall in the biblical fiction genre, but reads purely as exquisite historical fiction also.

When a writer describes a setting or scene, I usually feel one of two ways – either standing at the
J.E. Grace
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sofia, daughter of a pagan high priest and her cousin, Perez, are taken, prisoner when their village is attacked on the island of Sicily. They are taken aboard a large ship and forced to endure beatings and starvation. Rescued by strange people that speak a language they can't understand, they feel they are now slaves. These people serve one God unlike the culture of their village.

Through the love of the people's God, they find their new home and culture so much more endearing and ho
Roseanna White
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another stellar book from Connilyn Cossette! I loved the look at two different cultures and seeing how our God drew on Sofea and Prezi's hearts. And the love story was fantastic!
Lydia Howe
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why I Choose This Book:

I can't imagine ever not wanting to read Miss Connilyn's books. Seriously.
Her worldbuilding is so utterly fantastic it makes the world dance into my brain and captivate me.
Her characters are complete and real.
Her plots nearly always have twists I hadn't expected.
Her writing is lyrical and magical, weaving the story in a way that makes me long to always have a supply of her new books on hand.

What I Thought of This Book:
Jill
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads

I have really enjoyed all the books I've read by Connilyn Cossette. Her new series about the cities of refuge in the Old Testament are excellent. Shelter of the Most High is the second book in this series, and I loved it. The characters are strong and likeable. There's lots of action and twists in the plot. I also really enjoyed catching up with characters from the previous book. You definitely want to start with the first book, A Light on the Hill. Highly recommended if you enjoy Biblical ficti
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
While I normally don't read a whole lot of biblical fiction, this just reminded me I TRULY need to get on the ball. I forgot how much I loved it, and how comforting it is.

This is the first book I've read by Connilyn Cossette, and it will not be my last. I'm already WAY ready for the next book. (Not gonna lie I shipped the couple before I knew the next book was going to be about them)

Jenna is totally going to disown me for saying this...(I loved our friendship while it lasted my dear)
But
Sam B
Connilyn Cossette's new book does not disappoint.

I've read all of her books so far and I highly recommend reading them in publication order. All her books are linked through the characters and I absolutely love that. It's always fun to revisit characters from the previous book and see where they are at.

In this book, Eitan is all grown up and lives in Kedesh with Moriyah and Darek. The story is centered around him and Sofea, a young woman whom Darek brings back to Kedesh a
Faye
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sofea and her cousin Prezi are taken by marauders from their island home in Sicily, and find themselves alone outside of Kedesh.

Eitan has grown up inside the walls of the refuge city, Kedesh, and has taken the Nazarite vow, wearing his hair long. He longs to serve his countrymen as a soldier like his step-father, Darek, but due to the the tragedy in his past he must remain within the city. He is enchanted by the beautiful Sofea, and their friendship grows as the barrier of language fades.
Amelia
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am once again blown away by Connilyn’s writing. Her attention to detail and the mounds of research she must do to make these characters and places come to life is astounding.

This was the second book in the Cities of Refuge series and while you don’t necessarily have to read the previous book to understand and enjoy this one you really should. Like really really. Go read it right now.
They are just woven together so beautifully and you will appreciate connecting the journey that led to the eve
Dawn
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Biblical fiction is a genre I don't read a lot of. I enjoy it, but in moderation. I've read one of Connilyn Cossette's before and enjoyed it, so I thought why not.

This one was slow moving at first. I did enjoy it. It just took me a while to get into it. I'm not very familiar with the period in Bible history that this one is set in, but the way that the author describes things makes me feel as if I was there. She writes in vivid detail. I would like to read the next one in the series.

Shantelle
Connilyn Cossette pens another exciting Biblical Historical novel! Book Two in the CITIES OF REFUGE series, I enjoyed diving into Shelter of the Most High and reconnecting with Moriyah and her lovely family.

This book focuses specifically on her adopted son, Eitan. As well as a wounded and guarded maiden, Sofea, from the island of Sicily. Back in the city of Kedesh, we learn more about cities of refuge and the accidental killers that flee and find safety there. I find this such a heavy, b
Regina
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Review to come.
Lori
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Conni at her best and from the heart!!!
This author has a style all her own!! She has a great talent for drawing people into the book from page one!

I admired Sofea for her courage and her ability to adjust to changes that were thrust upon her unwillingly. ( I too, have gone through some changes unwillingly but God had my back) so, I definitely felt for Sofea. Like her I will arise and show everyone that my faith strong!!

Through Moriyah's hospitality and love, I enjoyed wa
Martha
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story set in ancient times, I found myself totally enthralled with it from the first few pages. I wanted to just keep reading, but I also didn't want to finish because I was enjoying it so much.
I found the setting so intriguing, as well as the people, possibly ancestors from Sicily that found themselves intermarrying with the Hebrews.
This author does such a great job of weaving a tale, you will want to buy every book she writes as it comes out. I know that is my plan!
Amy Radlein
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In 1388 BC on the Isle of Sicily, we meet Sofea and her cousin Prezi. They are cave diving instead of helping the women of the village clean and salt the tuna that the village men had caught. When they finally leave the underwater caves, they had been discovered by their tunic clothing left on shore. Pirates. Two of them. Akato and Seno. Seno has a white scar slicing his eyebrow. He wants to keep the girls alive. They are forced to go with the pirates. They walk though their village seeing homes ...more
Anne
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelter of the Most High played visually through my mind like a movie on the big screen with intensely descriptive scenes that swept across the page, transporting me on a journey back in time to ancient Israel. Beautiful landscapes, fierce pirates, intense battles and a heart-stirring romance make this one of the best books I've read this year. It is a definite top ten in 2018!

Sofea and Prezi are cousins who survive a violent attack on their village. From their frightening capture and es
Clara
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Being the daughter of a high priest, Sofea knows authority and has seen its power at work. Her life has much been defined by this authority and therefore, while she still has a thread of freedom, Sofea will often find solitude in the immensity of the sea, floating on its gentle waves. But when the worst happens, will a faith foundation grown on censure, fear, and pride be enough to strengthen her and her cousin as they walk their ways through a land unknown, trying to understand the weird costum ...more
Rosalyn
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an example of Biblical fiction at its finest.
Sofea and her cousin, Prezi, are young girls living in a seacoast village on the island of Sicily. When their families are killed and their village are destroyed, they are taken across the ocean by those marauders, and they end up in the land of Canaan among a strange people who worship an unknown God, Yahweh.
Even though it takes time, they come to see the joy and peace of their newfound friends, and begin to feel at home in this strang
Fiction Aficionado
Connilyn Cossette never fails to deliver a riveting story, and each book she releases sees her more firmly entrenched on my ‘must read authors’ list. Not only are her stories fantastic reads, but I always come away from them feeling like I’ve gained new insight into the Old Testament, whether that be a better understanding of the cultural context or the way in which the Israelite laws and customs point forward to Christ.

It’s been fascinating learning about the Cities of Refuge throug
Beth Erin
Full review on FaithfullyBookish.com

Completely captivating! Shelter of the Most High engages all senses and emotions, tugs at the heart and spirit, entertains and stimulates the mind with genuinely flawed characters, an intriguing plot, and a brilliant setting.

Sofea’s journey is filled with confusion and conflicted feelings yet her organic exposure and attraction to the Hebrew God in light of her former life reminded me just how blessed we are to be wooed and pursued by t
Susan
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great addition to this series. Hope there will be more. An excellent narrator. This author is so wonderful, that Biblical fiction is now one of my two favorite genres.

• Of Fire and Lions
  • Thief of Corinth
  • A Refuge Assured
  • Judah's Wife: A Novel of the Maccabees (The Silent Years #2)
  • The Thief (The Living Water, #2)
  • The Crimson Cord: Rahab's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #1)
  • Many Sparrows
  • Keturah (The Sugar Baron's Daughters, #1)
  • The Making of Mrs. Hale (Regency Brides: A Promise of Hope, #3)
  • Keepers of the Covenant (The Restoration Chronicles, #2)
  • The Christmas Prayer
  • Desired: The Untold Story of Samson and Delilah (Lost Loves of the Bible, #2)
  • The Hope of Azure Springs
Connilyn Cossette is the Carol Award Winning and ECPA Bestselling author of the Out from Egypt Series and the Cities of Refuge Series from Bethany House Publishers. When she’s not engulfed in the happy chaos of homeschooling two teenagers, devouring books whole, or avoiding housework, she can be found digging into the rich ancient world of the Bible. She delights in discovering new gems of grace t ...more

Cities of Refuge (4 books)
  • A Light on the Hill (Cities of Refuge, #1)
  • Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge, #3)
  • Like Flames in the Night (Cities of Refuge, #4)