Start by marking “Fame” as Want to Read:
Fame

Fame

'Good b.o means good "box office." You can smell it from a mile away'

The legendary sixties New York pop artist Andy Warhol's hilarious and insightful vignettes and aphorisms on the topics of love, fame and beauty.

Penguin Modern: fifty new books celebrating the pioneering spirit of the iconic Penguin Modern Classics series, with each one offering a concentra
Published February 22nd 2018 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about Fame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fame

Steven Godin
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A person that has fascinated me for so long, basically this short book is split into three sections, givings his insight on Love, Beauty, and Fame. It's filled with pieces selected by the editors of his autobiography 'The Philosophy of Andy Warhol'. It didn't appear as a standalone volume during his lifetime.

Some of his notable quotes,

"Being famous isn't really that important. If I weren't famous, I wouldn't have been shot for being Andy Warhol"

"The wrong people always look r
Ria
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Everybody has different idea of love. One girl I know said", 'I knew he loved me when he didn't come in my mouth.'
This is basically a collection of quotes from The Philosophy of Andy Warhol. Fucking iconic?
‘’Among other things, drag queens are living testimony to the way women used to want to be, the way some people still want them to be, and the way some women still actually want to be.’’
“I believe in low light and trick mirrors.
I believe in plastic surgery.”
Rashid Saif
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I hate Warhol. He is the reason things like The Kardashians and Real Housewives of Alberta exist. Because of him, we have had wave after wave of pseudo-artists who produce tripe. However, there is some insight to be found in this book, which is little more than a school girl's diary. He points out many of the things which have imbued and unconsciously informed our modern culture. The strong urge for sensationalism, glorification of the mundane and grotesque, the degradation of art from ideal to commodity; all of ...more
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
⭐⭐⭐⭐

A great way to glance at Warhol’s outlook on life and opinions. Quick and easy read.
Lea Dokter
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
"A good reason to be famous, though, is so you can read all the big magazines and know everybody in all the stories. Page after page it's just all people you've met. I love that kind of reading experience and that's the best reason to be famous" (p. 43)
Short, insightful, and funny, though sometimes self-contradicting, Warhol's musings on love, beauty, and fame make for an interesting read. I feel like Warhol's eccentric character really shines in this text.
Kirsty
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Andy Warhol's Fame is the forty-seventh book on the Penguin Moderns list.  I read a little book by Warhol about cats several months ago, and didn't much like it.  Whilst Fame is very different in what it set out to do, I was not much looking forward to reading it.  In this book, 'the legendary pop artist Andy Warhol's hilarious, gossipy vignettes and aphorisms on the topics of love, fame and beauty' can be found.  The pieces collected here were selected by the editors of The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (1975).

Fame consists of three sections - 'L/> consistsof TheWarhol's  is
Peter
May 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: penguin-modern
Andy Warhol is turgid, it could be said that he is the man who invented the non-entity culture such as reality tv etc. The ability to be famous for nothing is the sad state of life today.

Unoriginal, no skill, no talent, an ideal candidate for reality tv. Andy if you were alive now you would be embraced for being talentless.
Sára Zsadanyi
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I woke up in a good mood, read this book, and have suddenly turned into a cynic who refuses to wear her glasses because it makes her "more similar" to others.
Tyler
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ever wanted to read the crappy insights of a talentless famous person? No, me neither.

Warhol trots out a bunch of mostly empty statements, which on occasion hit the mark, but I can only credit his odd Schopenhauerian insights to his cynical approach to art (or rather the ruthless business of modern art), which revealed the bourgeois art frauds for what they were - spineless money worshippers.
Warhol is Wilde minus the wit, a narcicistic twit with little on his mind but himself and his pockets.
Tino
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A funny and pleasant book to read, not to heavy or confusing so it was great to read on holiday this year!
05/07/19
Iris Bratton
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A snapshot of Andy Warhol and his musings on love, fame and beauty.

Again, it was one of those instances where I read about a public figure that I didn't know much about. This is a short collection about Warhol's feelings when it comes to fame, love and the social norms associated with it. It's a very interesting perspective and I believe is still relevant in the art and film industry to this day.

I have to say, I found this to be surprisingly funny. Warhol talks about the irony and
Teresa Krasteva
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nothing major. Just random thoughts put into words.
Not good thoughts either.
Lucy
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because i think Andy Warhol has some great art, but the guy can also speak?! He has a real unique view on things, which is so nice to read.

He tells you things in a special way too, this way I could really stay focused throughout this book.

I do believe I have to be in a particular mood to agree with most of his statements. They’re pretty resolute. Like I can agree with him sometimes, but not all the time if that’s not too confusing. I really respect those people wi
Zé Cordeiro
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
very fun lil book, particularly enjoyed the fame
part, very interesting.
Francielli Camargo
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I am shameless reading these tiny books because I am so behind my reading challenge and I need to catch up.

And it helps! Every book is about 50 pages long and I'm finding the collection of modern minis way more interesting than the classic ones.

This one is especially a fast read because the way of writing. Not so special story wise but quite entertaining. I liked "Love (Senility)" the most.
Punit
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short, quick read containing snippets from Warhol's talks, interviews, books and other sources. This one's divided into three parts: Love (which also talks a lot about sex), Beauty and Fame.
He does have strong opinions on the topics and loves to talk on them. For example,
"I really don't care that much about 'Beauties'. What I really like are Talkers. To me, good talkers are beautiful because good talk is what I love... Talkers are doing something. Beauties are being something."

Whet
Marie
Apr 24, 2018 added it
"A lot of times I do things I don't want to do at all, just because I'm on stand-by jealousy that somebody else will get to do it instead."

Andy Warhol invented the concept of FOMO.
Ali Caitrin
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
One thing I did like about this was how much of his personality shines through his writing, you feel like you have Andy in front of you talking about his views of being famous and his definition of beauty. Aside from that I found it difficult to agree with a lot of what he said and at times he contradicted himself, as well as it coming across narrow-minded. Still a very insightful, short read.
Dane Cobain
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Come and climb inside Andy Warhol’s mind as he talks about love, beauty and fame. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, and his one-liners almost remind me of Oscar Wilde. Although I’m sure that was intentional.

Emma
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 20th-century
i feel like andy warhol was the kind of person who liked to surround himself with interesting people to hide the fact that he was actually pretty uninteresting.
Boo
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this so much I've ordered the book this extract is from.
Windy
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
fun short book on Andy Warhol's musing including his thoughts on fame, actors, comedy, fashion, beautiful people, sex.
Rose
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have far less interest in Andy Warhol having read this. I was never very big on pop art, but I always had an arms-length respect for it and the artists involved. Everything in this just makes Mr. Warhol seem endlessly pretentious. The book offers short paragraphs that seem to capture a thought process - they're not carefully thought out or planned statements, just off-the-cuff remarks (I hope - if hours of careful effort went into this I'd be worried). As a structure for a short book that's in ...more
Karin
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
more than anything people just want stars.

The book is divided into three: Love, Beauty and Fame. I preferred the last two sections.
Maybe because I struggled with reading it at first because it's just quotes, excerpts taken from his autobiography, and not a linear argument or paragraphs meant to be read strung together this way.

There are some interesting quotes and ideas, but overall it feels kind of like trying too hard to be clever and funny, when it's just fake deep.
Emma McD
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read, delving into Andy Warhol's thoughts on all things love, beauty and fame. Slightly all over the place, as you could imagine he was, but I really appreciated this glimpse into the musings of such an icon.

"You have to hang on in periods when your style isn't popular, because if it's good, it'll come back, and you'll be a recognised beauty once again." Andy Warhol

This quote particularly stuck with me as it's so true and a lovely way to look at li
Shane
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-english
I love the way Warhol was writing. It is very harsh, real and deep inside I always get some kind of familiar understanding that makes me feel like I could write exact same words. Sometimes it may differ but generally speaking, I can relate with his contemplations and I will most likely never get tired of his notes. Frankly, worth reading, very easy to grasp at one sit and at the same time philosophical so I can recommend it to anybody, especially if you want to try some Warhol and do not know if ...more
Luke Bennion
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Love. Beauty. Fame. Observations written in vignettes, thoughts presented pointedly and without apology. There are moments of genuine poignancy, both true and relatable, spoiled only by brief moments of foolishness and contradictions. But these are the themes which ran through much of Warhol’s work - he openly rejects criticism and judgement, but writes somewhat neurotically, restlessly about presentation, picture and performance. But at the very core of these short pieces lays brutal honesty, a ...more
Rain V
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is technically speaking more a three-and-a-half star one for me but I'll be generous because I rather enjoyed it. A quick, fun read. I'm not actually a Warhol fan but I do respect his artistry and enjoy his general vibe, and I suspect if you really liked him then you'd probably like this more? It's a collection of snippets that all in all feel like reading the tweets/mini blog posts of a chatty friend -- nothing mindblowing but entertaining and nice to read with a good dash of insight too. ...more
Louise Pennington
Jul 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I’ve been reading many of the new Penguin Modern series recently. I came across them here and I thought I’d collect a few for my Kid whose a total bookworm like me. I also hadn’t read anything by a number of authors included (Clarice Lispector, Stanislaw Lem, Shirley Jackson, Andy Warhol, Yuko Tsushima). At a pound each, someone I disliked wouldn’t be a waste of money. I loved James Baldwin and Chinua Achebe. Beckett, Camus & Orwell, I enjoyed, but others I forced myself to read. I didn’t en ...more
Smita
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is the kind of thing that I read when I was younger and thought one-paragraph musings of love, beauty, and fame are so clever and deep.

Well, most of the time, they aren't. This one included.

I think it is interesting because we know it was Andy Warhol who wrote it. Some of the musings, when it is more than just two sentences of superficiality, are pretty funny. But attach some random guy's name as the author and I bet nobody would give a crap about this book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Notes on Nationalism
  • The Freelance Manifesto: A Field Guide for the Modern Motion Designer
  • My Mother Said I Never Should
  • Notes on Camp
  • The Promise (Devoncroix Dynasty, #2)
  • Of Dogs and Walls
  • Îmblânzitorul apelor
  • Dark Days
  • The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House
  • Anecdotes of the Cynics
Andrew Warhola, better known as Andy Warhol, was an American artist and a central figure in the movement known as Pop art. After a successful career as a commercial illustrator, Warhol became famous worldwide for his work as a painter, an avant-garde filmmaker, a record producer, an author, and a public figure known for his membership in wildly diverse social circles that included bohemian street ...more
“I really don't care that much about 'Beauties'. What I really like are Talkers.” 1 likes