Start by marking “The Missing Girl” as Want to Read:

The Missing Girl

' "Of course, no one would want to say anything about a girl like this that's missing..." '

Malice, paranoia and creeping dread lie beneath the surface of ordinary American life in these chilling miniature masterworks of unease.

Contains:
- The Missing Girl
- Journey with a Lady
- Nightmare
Published February 22nd 2018 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Girl

Start your review of The Missing Girl
Amalia Gkavea
‘’It was one of those spring mornings in March; the sky between the buildings was bright and blue and the city air, warmed by motors and a million breaths, had a freshness and a sense of excitement that can come only from a breeze starting somewhere in the country, far away, and moving into the city while everyone is asleep, to freshen the air for morning.’’

In the universe of Shirley Jackson’s stories, the reader is thrown into a vertigo of uneasiness that gradually escalates to dread and qu
Sam Quixote
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Penguin seems to release a new range of dinky paperbacks every year now for one flimsy reason or another. This Penguin Modern series is to celebrate Penguin Modern Classics’ 50th Anniversary or something - meh. I guess these tiny books do serve as fairly decent amuse-bouches of a writer’s style but, as someone familiar with her books, Shirley Jackson’s The Missing Girl isn’t the best representative of her excellent craft.

This book contains three short stories: The Missing Girl, Journey with a L
Dannii Elle
The Missing Girl - 4.5/5 stars
Journey with a Lady - 5/5 stars
Nightmare - 3.5/5 stars
Lotte
This was such a lovely, short and creepy read! All three stories in this small volume (The Missing Girl, Journey With A Lady and Nightmare) manage to convey the creeping unease that's so characteristic for Shirley Jackson's writing. She manages to turn the seemingly mundane or ordinary (a receptionist running an errand for her boss, a boy taking the train to visit his grandfather) into the absurd, the sinister or the weird in a rather brilliant way.
I feel like this short volume would work as a
Zuky the BookBum
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Jackson’s writing. There is always something unsettling just below the surface of her stories. I enjoyed these shorts but I’ve preferred some of her other work more.

Final rating: 3.5 stars
Blair
‘The Missing Girl’ (1957) is an enigmatic story. So enigmatic that I didn't actually understand the ending at first – I was looking for a more conventional or more horrifying conclusion, just something more solid than what Jackson is willing to provide. A girl at summer camp goes missing, but at every turn, efforts to find her are rendered useless. Nobody can remember what she looked like or whether she was in one of their classes, and the witnesses who might've spotted her give vague and contra ...more
Maria Fernanda Gama
I loved this so much. Definefely these three short stories are already some of my favorites from her. The first one, which gives the book its name, it's absolutely wonderful. So obscure, and puzzling, and mysterious... I like this side of her writing, that doesn't feel obliged to explain things, very much. I've seen it before in another one of her short stories, "The Summer People", and she just never lets the ball drop when she goes down this path. "Journey with a lady", the second story in thi ...more
Kobi
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
My first delve into Shirley Jackson's work! Going in, I thought these would be spookier, but each of them dealt with deception in some way which, depending on the reader, could be considered spooky in its own right. I was quite intimidated by Shirley Jackson before picking this up because I was unsure whether or not I would jive well with her writing. But her writing was a breeze to get through and was actually really captivating! I don't think this was the best place to start with Shirley Jacks ...more
Bill Lynas
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shirley Jackson's three short stories are published as part of the Penguin Modern series, a collection of fifty books celebrating Penguin Modern Classics.
The three stories in this edition are very short & overall very enjoyable. I've given ratings for each & here they are:
THE MISSING GIRL
A moderately entertaining tale of a young girl's disappearance. 3/5
JOURNEY WITH A LADY
A delightful 1952 story about a young boy's train journey, & his meeting with a passenger who is far more interesting than sh
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

Broken into several short stories of deception in what would otherwise be the average American life, this one was…interesting, at least. The first one – The Missing Girl – left a little more to be desired come the end. I was reading it, intrigued to find out what happened, and then the ending happened and I just didn’t get it. Plus it started grating on me how ditsy all of the characters seemed. So we’re not off to a great start. Moving onto the secon
Angourie Rice
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

This was exactly my brand of spooky. My favourite was definitely Nightmare, which was the longest of the three, though I don't know if I completely understand the ending?
It was cool and creepy nonetheless, and next I want to pick up We Have Always Lived in the Castle.
Εva
This is a very interesting collection of short stories by Shirley Jackson, a master in building tension and mystery. My personal favourite is the last one, "Nightmare".
Kirsty
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shirley Jackson is one of my absolute favourite authors, despite having a couple of her novels still outstanding, and not yet having made a dent in her short stories. In The Missing Girl, says the blurb, 'Malice, deception and creeping dread lie beneath the surface of ordinary American life in these miniature masterworks.' Each of these stories - 'The Missing Girl', 'Journey with a Lady', and 'Nightmare' - appeared in a posthumous 1997 collection entitled Just an Ordinary Day.

Jackson is a verita
Marcella
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After being very much into The Haunting of Hill House I couldn't wait to discover more of Shirley Jackson's body of work and aren't the Penguin mini's the perfect way to do that?

The Missing Girl is a collection of 3 stories. They feature Shirley Jackson's signature flavour; creepy but in the physiological-thriller-type of way. Her writing is very atmospheric and in these little stories of all about 15-20 pages long she manages to put down both a very strong atmosphere and characters. Shirley Jac
Hafizz Nasri
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Missing Girl
This is so mysterious. I love how the author tells the story in a very descriptive and secretive ways. It was so unknown and weird, the missing girl case was somehow 'vague' but the story telling done pretty well giving me chills and thrills. Love the wordings and characters-- very lively and eager, feeling a bit surreal.

Journey With A Lady
This is a fun travelling story. I love Joe and even the lady. The story-line somehow giving me a worried sort of feeling, thought something m
Kath Lau
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Missing Girl by Shirley Jackson is part of the latest Penguin Modern series. It consists of three very short stories which are all mind-boggling and enjoyable to read. The Missing Girl is the first story about the disappearance of a young girl from a summer camp. I liked that this story made me doubt the existence of the missing girl. It's pretty brilliant. Also, I love the names of the characters. Journey With A Lady is the second story. It's about a 9-year old boy meeting a very interestin ...more
Cat (cat-thecatlady)
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
enjoyed all the stories a lot (the missing girl: 4,5/5; journey with a lady - 4/5; nightmare - 3,5/5). but like all short story collections, there are some that you like more than others.
overall, all the things I love most about shirley jackson are here: the witty humor, the uneasiness, the observation of human behavior. can't wait to read more short stories by this author!
Johanna Hammarström
It's actually three short stories in this edition: "The Missing Girl", "Journey with a Lady" and "Nightmare", three stories that are all on the border of creepy. I definitely have a thing for Jackson's way of putting the reader in an uncanny mood with her stories and these short stories certainly gave that feeling.
thebookfox
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it, will probably forget it.

This itsy-bitsy paperback consists of three short stories; “The Missing Girl”, “Journey with a Lady”, and “Nightmare”. I didn’t mind the first two but the third was a drag.

But hey, first book I’ve completed this year (helps that it was less than 60 pages hahahaha!).
Elena Manole
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Missing Girl - 3/5 stars
Journey with a Lady - 4/5 stars
Nightmare - 4.5/5 stars
Momina M.
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it

"It was one of those spring mornings in March; the sky between the buildings was bright and blue and the city air, warmed by motors and a million breaths, had a freshness and a sense of excitement that can only come from a breeze starting somewhere in the country, far away, and moving into the city while everyone is asleep, to freshen the air for morning."
Callum McLaughlin
Having read - and loved - We Have Always Lived in the Castle, it was nice to get a little taster of some more Shirley Jackson before I delve into another of her full-length works. I got a really strong vibe from the aforementioned novel that Jackson could well become an author I adore, and the three short stories in this little volume certainly maintained that hope.

The Missing Girl is a quietly unsettling story about how someone can fall through the cracks of society, to the point that it's like
Peter
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: penguin-modern
Not the best that Shirley Jackson as ever penned, however, still better than a lot of the dribble in this collection by Penguin. For those who have read the excrable writing of Gertrude Stein will understand.
busé
Mar 06, 2020 added it
Nightmare 5/5!!!!
stefiereads
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The only work I have read from Shirley Jackson’s is The Lottery, and I enjoyed it so much.

Since then, I really want to pick another book by her, but for some reason I didn’t until I knew that Penguin has released Penguin Modern set and have included Jackson’s work in it. So, I thought I give it a go.

These three short stories collection are pretty good. My favourite is “The Missing Girl”. I have to admit that I didn’t really get the ending straight away. I was actually a bit confused. But I kept
Denisse
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The ability to start a most common story and introduce something strange and disturbing from nothing speaks very well of the author. I will definitely continue reading her. I truly believe short stories are just for talented people.

Me encanta leer historias cortas. Las que vienen de un buen autor pueden convertirse en grandes lecturas y no cualquiera logra convencer con pocas palabras.

Lo que puedo decir es que debo leer mas a Jackson este año si o si, me encanto la forma en que un evento cotidi
tortoise dreams
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Three stories by the brilliant American chronicler of the damaged psyche.

Book Review: The Missing Girl is a starter, an appetizer, a quick and easy introduction to the work of Shirley Jackson, the author of The Haunting of Hill House (1959) and We Have Always Lived in the Castle (1962). Notably excluded is her best and most (in)famous story, "The Lottery." Jackson's writing tends to fall into three categories: (1) the psychologically damaged young woman confronting an overwhelming world; (2) the
Devran ikiz
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Penguin has released a series of mini books with short stories and The Missing Girl by Shirley Jackson is one of these book. This book consists of three short stories. The Missing Girl, Journey with a Lady and Nightmare. All three stories are well structured and gives you the idea of writing style of Shirley Jackson. I have been intorduced to her novels with We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I have enjoyed the dark atmosphere of that novel and since I was trying to catch up with my reading cha ...more
Joanne Tinkler (Mamajomakes)
The more Shirley Jackson books, the more mixed feelings I have about her work. This collection of three short stories has been on my shelf for a while along with other Penguin short stories and I decided that it was time for me to read it.

Of the three stories, Journey with a Lady was my favourite. It wasn’t a suspenseful yarn but it was a good story with great characters. The first story, The Missing Girl, had great promise and although the ending was quite dark and appropriate to the story, it
Beth Chats Books
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shirley Jackson is a very talented writer. I personally had a frustrating reading experience as Jackson’s endings are typically very open and ambiguous. However she has a talent for making an ordinary story take on a creepier undertone. The last story Nightmare is by far the strongest story and the one I enjoyed the most. Nightmare has the most similarities to The Lottery in its structure and execution. I am left intrigued more than ever about Jackson’s works after reading this book and I am hop ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Veiled Woman
  • The End
  • Letter from Birmingham Jail
  • The Legend of the Sleepers
Shirley Jackson was an influential American author. A popular writer in her time, her work has received increasing attention from literary critics in recent years. She has influenced such writers as Stephen King, Nigel Kneale, and Richard Matheson.

She is best known for her dystopian short story, "The Lottery" (1948), which suggests there is a deeply unsettling underside to bucolic, smalltown Ameri